Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guenther Staying Put!
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Report-Guenther-staying/c9d9a86c-ea5f-4291-8abc-f49c6045495e
Reply/Quote
This isn't the worst thing to happen in the off season. Paul Guenther isn't the weakest coaching link in Cincinnati.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Works for me. The defense was pretty stout towards the end of the season.

Since the bye this is how much the defense gave up to each team...

Giants: 21
Bills: 16
Ravens: 19
Eagles: 14
Browns: 10
Steelers: 24
Texans: 12
Ravens: 10
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 01:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This isn't the worst thing to happen in the off season. Paul Guenther isn't the weakest coaching link in Cincinnati.

Right, the adjustments he made, after the bye week, made a serious difference the rest of the season.

Now, if someone could only convince Coach Lewis that halftime adjustments are a good thing...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He's one of the better guys on the staff. We're better off with him staying.

Too bad they probably won't let him ditch Burney or Haslett.
Reply/Quote
If the defense gets even better we can count on PG becoming someone else's head coach in 2018.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Right, the adjustments he made, after the bye week, made a serious difference the rest of the season.

Now, if someone could only convince Coach Lewis that halftime adjustments are a good thing...

The trouble, Sunset, isn't a lack of halftime adjustments. The problem is making bad halftime adjustments. Smirk

The Bengals haven't had a strong second half since when? 2014?

Let's also give Paul Guenther credit for holding opposing offenses to a minimal amount of points considering the Cincinnati offense got off the field way too fast and often left the defense with horrible field position in Bengals' territory.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Right, the adjustments he made, after the bye week, made a serious difference the rest of the season.

...or even an actual thing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I applaud this move. PG does a good job with the D.
Reply/Quote

He does adjust.  He tells the offense to burn the clock and take no chances.  He just doesnt adjust to the other team.
Reply/Quote
Did he actually want to go or are they just saying the redskins asked to interview him and the bengals denied them permission?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 01:44 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Works for me. The defense was pretty stout towards the end of the season.

Since the bye this is how much the defense gave up to each team...

Giants: 21
Bills: 16
Ravens: 19
Eagles: 14
Browns: 10
Steelers: 24
Texans: 12
Ravens: 10

Welp. That should've been 7-1 at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 01:49 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The trouble, Sunset, isn't a lack of halftime adjustments.  The problem is making bad halftime adjustments. Smirk

The Bengals haven't had a strong second half since when? 2014?

Let's also give Paul Guenther credit for holding opposing offenses to a minimal amount of points considering the Cincinnati offense got off the field way too fast and often left the defense with horrible field position in Bengals' territory.

I have to respectfully disagree with your first and second sentence. Marvin basically admitted that he doesnt believe in HT adjustments in his own presser.

Im paraphrasing but he basically called HT adjustments, " a mythical assumption that fans make up". As I said I'm paraphrasing but that's how it came across.

The man sets a game plan and when the other team adjusts in the second half he has no answers. We've watched it time and time again and you can bet the rest of the league knows this.

Otherwise I agree with you.
Reply/Quote
Geunther will be our next HC in 2018.

It will be an upgrade too.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 04:41 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I have to respectfully disagree with your first and second sentence. Marvin basically admitted that he doesnt believe in HT adjustments in his own presser.

Im paraphrasing but he basically called HT adjustments, " a mythical assumption that fans make up". As I said I'm paraphrasing but that's how it came across.

The man sets a game plan and when the other team adjusts in the second half he has no answers. We've watched it time and time again and you can bet the rest of the league knows this.

I think Marv called it "journalistic jargon".

Halftime adjustments that is. :andy:

Doesn't exist man. What is in-game adjustments? He has no clue. Mellow
Reply/Quote

Or they can convince Marvin not to step on Paulie's toes when he wants to make personnel changes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Wish Paul G. would have called more aggressive defenses sometimes, but overall I think he can field a competitive unit and agree that keeping him for next year isn't the worst thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 04:58 PM)jason Wrote: Or they can convince Marvin not to step on Paulie's toes when he wants to make personnel changes.

Exactly, remember at the bye when Paulie G was trying to change things up and play some new players
and Marv shot that down and said something like that isn't going to happen.

Just happy Guenther kept on keepin on and the Defense turned it around with his lead. Great job by him
even more so with getting stabbed in the back by the Marv.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 04:41 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I have to respectfully disagree with your first and second sentence. Marvin basically admitted that he doesnt believe in HT adjustments in his own presser.

(01-07-2017, 04:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Marv called it "journalistic jargon".

Halftime adjustments that is. :andy:

Doesn't exist man. What is in-game adjustments? He has no clue. Mellow

Well, you know that allowing an opponent to force you off of your game plan would be like admitting that they game planned better than you did, or acknowledging that they were just physically superior that day.  Now we all know good and well that the correct answer is "We just have to work harder"... Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 04:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Geunther will be our next HC in 2018.

It will be an upgrade too.

I agree that Guenther is probably being groomed to the next HC of the Bengals, but I don't know about it being an upgrade. Paulie has been with, and been mentored by Marvin for a long time.

Maybe he will have is own unique style and not just be Marvin 2.0, but all in all, I would rather see someone from outside the organization....with not ties to the previous 14 years.  Whatever
Reply/Quote