Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HUE
I don't understand those who want Hue to be the next Bengals HC. Why? As OC, I could understand, somewhat, but HC? Why?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:36 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't understand those who want Hue to be the next Bengals HC. Why? As OC, I could understand, somewhat, but HC? Why?

I wouldn't hate it because I'm under the impression that it will be either Marvin or Geunther and I think I'd like to see Dalton with an offensive-minded HC after seeing him do so well with Hue here as the OC and seeing Palmer's career take a brief uptick when he had an offensive HC.

I assume Hue burned his bridge here by going to the Browns, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Hue as a HC could do with Dalton and AJ on offense and Lazor and Geunther coordinating things.  Seems plausible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 02:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whats wrong with Geunther

He was actually bench underproforming players and playing young guys till marvin came and stepped on his toes.

(12-07-2017, 03:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Assuming most draft "experts" see similar issues, then, IMO, that bodes well for the chance that the Browns will want AJM - especially if it only costs them 1 draft pick (even a 2nd). Besides the cost, the only other factor is how they view their current QBs. I think they TRY to get AJM this offseason, but anything more than a 2nd, I don't think they'll do (and even then, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided a 2nd was too high).

Maybe. If Cleveland doesn't make a major move for a QB, I think Cleveland is going to riot. 

If I'm them, I try to land Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith. If I can't land a big fish like that, I draft Rosen with the top pick. 

If they're concerned about Rosen's issues, then McCarron would be my backup backup (not a typo) plan.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe. If Cleveland doesn't make a major move for a QB, I think Cleveland is going to riot. 

If I'm them, I try to land Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith. If I can't land a big fish like that, I draft Rosen with the top pick. 

If they're concerned about Rosen's issues, then McCarron would be my backup backup (not a typo) plan.

I think there going to go after three guys Luck, Cousins, or Dalton not in that order but I just don't see  them going after Smith and thinking he is a long term solution.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:44 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I think there going to go after three guys Luck, Cousins, or Dalton not in that order but I just don't see  them going after Smith and thinking he is a long term solution.

Well I'm not sure what you consider long term, but Alex Smith will only be 34 next year and could easily play 4+ more years. 

Good QB's always play deep into their 30's, barring injury. I could see them signing Smith and drafting someone for the future though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well, You can rule out Hue being the coach of the Bengals next year after they fired Sashi Brown.

Now the rumor mill has Marvin heading to Cleveland to be the new GM.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:48 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Well, You can rule out Hue being the coach of the Bengals next year after they fired Sashi Brown.

Now the rumor mill has Marvin heading to Cleveland to be the new GM.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/12/7/16746242/marvin-lewis-a-candidate-to-be-browns-gm-nfl-news-2017

Wouldn't that be a nightmare for all the folks who have wanted Marv in the GM role all these years?
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 01:09 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Hopefully the ajm trade is back on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please, God, let it be so and let us use those picks to solidify the interior offensive line.  

I know that they've been playing better, but they're still a dumpster fire and we have just about all of the other positions that we need.

Please make it happen.
(12-07-2017, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm now preparing for Marvin Lewis to take the GM job for Cleveland after this season.
Wouldn't that be a trip?
Why does everyone think Marvin would be a good GM?

Why wouldn't they hire someone that's qualified?

I love what Marvin has done here in that aspect, but it would be stupid to hire him over any qualified GM.
(12-07-2017, 01:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I doubt they'd trade a 2nd round pick for a stop gap QB to play in front if a 1st overall pick QB. I assume the AJ to the browns ship has sailed. 
Why draft a QB first overall when you know that you have a proven QB in McCarron to run the team and he's also proven that he's a winner (should have brought us our first playoff victory in over two decades if Hill didn't suck at life and ruin all of our hopes and dreams)?

They have the picks to do it and, if nothing else, they trade away the top pick that they'd use on a QB and get more picks to build around AJ or the other way around.  

Since they wanted him mid-season, there's no reason to think that they'd shy away from trading for him in the offseason, even if the deal isn't AS sweet.
(12-07-2017, 01:24 PM)Synric Wrote: There is no reason for the Browns to get AJM in a trade or as an RFA.

They can pick whatever QB they want in the draft and will not give up the first pick of the second round on a RFA. As for starting a rookie QB they will have a solid offensive line in front of him and really... they can't get worse than going 0-16.
That could be a bust or could take time to get into the flow of the NFL.

AJ is a proven winner in the NFL for RIGHT NOW.
(12-07-2017, 01:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I studied up a little on next year's QB crop (in case a new coach decides to go in a different direction) and I wasn't really impressed.

Lamar Jackson looks like a LOT like RGIII to me. Too frail to run around like that at the NFL level. Even throws like RGIII.
Josh Rosen's teammates apparently dislike him. He's been compared to Jay Cutler for his disposition. Reputation as a party animal.
Sam Darnold has a big windup. Personnel guys hate his delivery.
Josh Allen has been labeled a bit of a project. Impressive physically, but lacks feel for the game and touch on short throws.
Baker Mayfield is Manziel 2.0. Ran from the police while drunk, grabs his crotch on the field, trash talking, etc.

Fwiw, I don't think the Browns will wait on a QB though. They've done that 2 years straight with Cody Kessler and DeShone Kizer. It looks like they were aiming to build the roster up some and THEN take their QB. I think that happens in 2018.

Thanks for the analysis.  

I don't think they'll wait on a QB, but all those red flags also make it more likely that they'll want to go with a proven guy like McCarron, especially since Hue's familiar with him.

To anyone saying that AJ would just be a stopgap, he's only 27 (will be 28 a week into the season), with very little wear-and-tear on his body!  He could play at a high level for 7 to 10 more years.........  maybe longer!

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Please, God, let it be so and let us use those picks to solidify the interior offensive line.  

I know that they've been playing better, but they're still a dumpster fire and we have just about all of the other positions that we need.

Please make it happen.
Why does everyone think Marvin would be a good GM?

Why wouldn't they hire someone that's qualified?

I love what Marvin has done here in that aspect, but it would be stupid to hire him over any qualified GM.
Why draft a QB first overall when you know that you have a proven QB in McCarron to run the team and he's also proven that he's a winner (should have brought us our first playoff victory in over two decades if Hill didn't suck at life and ruin all of our hopes and dreams)?

They have the picks to do it and, if nothing else, they trade away the top pick that they'd use on a QB and get more picks to build around AJ or the other way around.  

Since they wanted him mid-season, there's no reason to think that they'd shy away from trading for him in the offseason, even if the deal isn't AS sweet.
That could be a bust or could take time to get into the flow of the NFL.

AJ is a proven winner in the NFL for RIGHT NOW.

Thanks for the analysis.  

I don't think they'll wait on a QB, but all those red flags also make it more likely that they'll want to go with a proven guy like McCarron, especially since Hue's familiar with him.

To anyone saying that AJ would just be a stopgap, he's only 27 (will be 28 a week into the season), with very little wear-and-tear on his body!  He could play at a high level for 7 to 10 more years.........  maybe longer!

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Uhh...because it's the Browns?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why draft a QB first overall when you know that you have a proven QB in McCarron to run the team and he's also proven that he's a winner (should have brought us our first playoff victory in over two decades if Hill didn't suck at life and ruin all of our hopes and dreams)?

Ehh, I think you may be over-valuing McCarron a bit, plus the reason Sashi got fired is because he traded down to get more picks when he should have drafted Carson Wentz.  I'd like to see what McCarron can do as a starter, but unless this next QB class is total crap I can't see a team taking him for a 2nd over a rookie prospect for a 1st.

The last thing any Browns' HC or GM wants is a QB that will put them in "WIN NOW OR GET FIRED" mode. They're thinking way long term...probably never, actually.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, I think you may be over-valuing McCarron a bit, plus the reason Sashi got fired is because he traded down to get more picks when he should have drafted Carson Wentz.  I'd like to see what McCarron can do as a starter, but unless this next QB class is total crap I can't see a team taking him for a 2nd over a rookie prospect for a 1st.

The last thing any Browns' HC or GM wants is a QB that will put them in "WIN NOW OR GET FIRED" mode.  They're thinking way long term...probably never, actually.

AJ might be the perfect guy then.  

He's competent enough to get the offense moving now, but also young enough that they can look at him as the future.

Either way, that team is still years away.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:40 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: AJ might be the perfect guy then.  

He's competent enough to get the offense moving now, but also young enough that they can look at him as the future.

Yeah, I could see it.  I think they're just really regretting passing on Wentz so they might make "draft a QB high" a priority.  Might be right, might be the wrong thing to do.  Or McCarron, I guess there are worse guys out there and clearly someone there wanted him recently.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe. If Cleveland doesn't make a major move for a QB, I think Cleveland is going to riot. 

Going for Alex Smith doesn't make sense.
He'll be 34 next season and I don't expect him to be a good QB until he's 38+, which is how long I think it would take for Cleveland to become a contender.
Gotta go after a QB that will be 30 years old or younger.

Alex Smith makes more sense to go to a team that's already at contender level but missing a good QB like JAX, DEN, or even ARZ with a healthy David Johnson.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Uhh...because it's the Browns?
As Bengals fans, I don't think we can use the "because it's them" reasoning when arguing why a team would do something stupid.

I see your point, but this one makes even less sense than any normal Browns move.

They have to know that Marvin, even if he was good at bringing in players and whatever, would have no clue about contracts, ticket deals, and all the other business parts of GM duties.
(12-07-2017, 04:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, I think you may be over-valuing McCarron a bit, plus the reason Sashi got fired is because he traded down to get more picks when he should have drafted Carson Wentz.  I'd like to see what McCarron can do as a starter, but unless this next QB class is total crap I can't see a team taking him for a 2nd over a rookie prospect for a 1st.

The last thing any Browns' HC or GM wants is a QB that will put them in "WIN NOW OR GET FIRED" mode.  They're thinking way long term...probably never, actually.
I'm not expecting McCarron to be an all-star. but I think he's proven that he's a solid QB that can win games.

Even if a HC or GM isn't in a win now or get fired situation, they still want a proven vet to build their team around.
(12-07-2017, 04:40 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: AJ might be the perfect guy then.  

That's exactly what I'm saying.

And he may only win a few games, but he'll have them competing again.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: As Bengals fans, I don't think we can use the "because it's them" reasoning when arguing why a team would do something stupid.

I see your point, but this one makes even less sense than any normal Browns move.

They have to know that Marvin, even if he was good at bringing in players and whatever, would have no clue about contracts, ticket deals, and all the other business parts of GM duties.

I'm not expecting McCarron to be an all-star. but I think he's proven that he's a solid QB that can win games.

Even if a HC or GM isn't in a win now or get fired situation, they still want a proven vet to build their team around.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

And he may only win a few games, but he'll have them competing again.

Didn't the Browns bring in Mike Holmgren to be GM after he retired from coaching? Same thing, right?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:36 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't understand those who want Hue to be the next Bengals HC. Why? As OC, I could understand, somewhat, but HC? Why?

I don't get the love.

I wasn't super impressed with him in Oakland, but I was ok with him as an assistant. Now he's like 1-27 in Cleveland and some folks can't wait to bring him back in. Why? Thanks to the last 2-3 drafts, our roster isn't exactly leaps and bounds better than their's, so I don't know why people think Hue would be great if he just had our players. One of the few spots you can check off here versus there is quarterback, but it's not for a lack of quality or quantity. I know there's going to be plenty of folks disagree with this, but I don't see AJM as leaps and bounds better than Kizer or Kessler. All three of those could be quality NFL QB's if a team invested in their development.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well I'm not sure what you consider long term, but Alex Smith will only be 34 next year and could easily play 4+ more years. 

Good QB's always play deep into their 30's, barring injury. I could see them signing Smith and drafting someone for the future though.

I don't think Smith is that Good also I think the Browns are going to want to make a huge splash .
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 04:57 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't get the love.

I wasn't super impressed with him in Oakland, but I was ok with him as an assistant. Now he's like 1-27 in Cleveland and some folks can't wait to bring him back in. Why? Thanks to the last 2-3 drafts, our roster isn't exactly leaps and bounds better than their's, so I don't know why people think Hue would be great if he just had our players. One of the few spots you can check off here versus there is quarterback, but it's not for a lack of quality or quantity. I know there's going to be plenty of folks disagree with this, but I don't see AJM as leaps and bounds better than Kizer or Kessler. All three of those could be quality NFL QB's if a team invested in their development.

For me it's that he made Andy a much better play in 2015 then what he was. Also I think Hue gets the NFL and how to win ball games in the NFL. I know his win loss record doesn't show that but who wins in Cleveland.
J24

Reply/Quote
Marvin turned around a dismal Bengals franchise. I could see the allure for the Browns.

What if he goes there and makes them better than the Bengals? That's a crazy thought...that could happen.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 03:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I wouldn't hate it because I'm under the impression that it will be either Marvin or Geunther and I think I'd like to see Dalton with an offensive-minded HC after seeing him do so well with Hue here as the OC and seeing Palmer's career take a brief uptick when he had an offensive HC.

I assume Hue burned his bridge here by going to the Browns, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Hue as a HC could do with Dalton and AJ on offense and Lazor and Geunther coordinating things.  Seems plausible.

what evidence do you have, from sources more knowledgeable than board pundits, that Marvin or Guenther will be HC next year?  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote