Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have we done one hit wonders?
And you know what I mean. A band that has one song that the majority of people know. No "Zep only had one top 40 hit". No Derrick and the Dominoes. That's Clapton.

My #1 all time, and I don't know how anyone disagrees, but many will:

Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider.

Rock 'n Roll Party in the Street by Axe.

Never Been Any Reason by Head East

And one that may not even be a one hit wonder. Maybe a zero hit that happens to have a song I know and like.: Keep on Trying by Wet Willie.

My favorite 2 hit wonder, and I'm probably stepping on some toes because there are probably big fans of this group, but I only know two songs. I think.

Golden Earring with Twilight Zone and Radar Love.

I'm sure I will think of more, but these are off the top of my head.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 02:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And you know what I mean.  A band that has one song that the majority of people know.  No "Zep only had one top 40 hit".  No Derrick and the Dominoes.  That's Clapton.

And one that may not even be a one hit wonder:  Keep on Trying by Wet Willie.

My favorite 2 hit wonder, and I'm probably stepping on some toes because there are probably big fans of this group, but I only know two songs.  I think.

All good ones.....

How about Cult of Personality by Living Colour....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' by Crazy Elephant.

Though I'm not sure if charting #12 in US and UK meet the qualifications.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Free....."Alright Now"

Dr. John...."Right Place Wrong Time"

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: All good ones.....

That's a criminally underrated song from every aspect. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's a criminally underrated song from every aspect. 

Yep....very good song.  

Reply/Quote
Wreckz n effect - RUMP SHAKER
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:33 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Wreckz n effect - RUMP SHAKER

Zooma zoom zoom zoom and a poom poom.... LMAO

and in that vein....."Back to the Hotel" by N 2 Deep.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: All good ones.....

You know what's funny is I really like the verses in the song, a great sound to them, but when they actually sing the words "Cult of Personality" I can't stand it.  It's always seemed like two different songs to me.  But a great pick.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Forgot one. All the Young Dudes by Mott the Hoople

Reply/Quote
"Who Let the Dogs Out"

The Baha Boys
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 02:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And you know what I mean. A band that has one song that the majority of people know. No "Zep only had one top 40 hit". No Derrick and the Dominoes. That's Clapton.

And one that may not even be a one hit wonder. Maybe a zero hit that happens to have a song I know and like.: Keep on Trying by Wet Willie.

My favorite 2 hit wonder, and I'm probably stepping on some toes because there are probably big fans of this group, but I only know two songs. I think.

Whoever sings Bye Bye miss american pie.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 05:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whoever sings Bye Bye miss american pie.

Don Mclean.  Doesn't make it. Ever hear Vincent?: "Starry starry night, paint your  palette blue and gray..."  and I'm sure he has some others.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 04:58 PM)Bengalzona Wrote:

They are always top 5 of one hit wonder lists.  If I go to more pop, for some reason I still like "Escape" by Rupert Holmes.  Although if I understand correctly he was a pretty big deal in the music industry on the other side of the desk.

Reply/Quote
Tommy 2tone - Jenny 867-5309

Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy

Chumbawumba - whatever that song was called

There are so many pop one hit wonders.  Others are hard to classify.  Living Colour has already been brought up.  They only had one hit, but there is more to them than that.  It's like saying Danzig is a one hit wonder because Mother got some airplay 5-6 years after it was released.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:17 PM)jason Wrote: Tommy 2tone - Jenny 867-5309

Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy

Chumbawumba - whatever that song was called

There are so many pop one hit wonders.  Others are hard to classify.  Living Colour has already been brought up.  They only had one hit, but there is more to them than that.  It's like saying Danzig is a one hit wonder because Mother got some airplay 5-6 years after it was released.

Well, yeah, there is more to Living Colour and Danzig than that....just like the Grateful Dead and "Touch of Grey".  However, when talking Billboard 200.....they're all one hit wonders.  Casual music listeners most likely don't know who Living Colour were, let alone that Vernon Reid played lead guitar for them.  Danzig is not known by folks outside of a certain age group and/or folks that listen to metal.  The Dead are another story....but still, one charting hit.

BTW....is Tubthumping the song you refer to, or was that the album?

Reply/Quote
Everclear.......Santa Monica

Reply/Quote
Calloways..I want to be rich
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: Everclear.......Santa Monica

What about Father of Mine and I Will Buy You A New Life ?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote