Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He's getting the staff he wants. What about players?
(01-15-2019, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: You would think he would get the roster he wants, at least to a point.  Will he get the FA's he wants?  The Rams spent some money to fill out their roster.  Does he get that luxury here?  Or even anything close to it?

Are they gonna give him carte blanche or what Marvin had or somewhere in between?

I gotta say--he must have knocked their sox off in the interview.  They didn't even seem to have a second interview, took out a lot of the staff, which included most of Marv's lifers and now they've let go of the guy they were giddy about hiring just a year ago and was, according to more than one, the best coach on the staff last year.  

When you read the tea leaves, you know you're in uncharted territory.  This relative babe in the woods is gonna be steering the ship, driving the bus, in a way that maybe even Marv was not allowed to.

And we get to sit around and wait for it to break ground.  Can't root for the Rams any more, sorry Whit.

well we cant and wont know till players start getting released( and we have a HC) or free agency starts. but will be something to keep an eye on.

The FO seemed to make some moves last year... so we'll find out
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 12:26 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I'd be all for a QB if they went out and signed some quality free agents at LB and Oline. Question is who do they take? Do they have to move up? Haskins or Murray?

That's the biggest question. LB and Oline are huge needs.
It also wouldn't surprise me if they took Grier or Rypien in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 03:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well we cant and wont know till players start getting released( and we have a HC) or free agency starts. but will be something to keep an eye on.

The FO seemed to make some moves last year... so we'll find out

I personally do not want a qb that is short short short and has to run his butt off to make aliving or to win.Those dudes do not last long in nfl.Ask Gio who gets hurt because he is small.I know he is a good RB,but if he were to be in there a lot he would go down with injuries.just sayin.If they are looking to draft a top starting qb,they need to wait until 2020.This class is not very good and Haskins is not ready at all.I feel he is making a mistake coming out,but the dollars lure all of them. ThumbsUp Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW don't expect Taylor to get 4 first team All Pro's added in free agency like McVey got with the Rams.

Not trashing McVey, but I bet his record would be worse without those 4.

And lets see how they do after Goff gets extended with their aging o-line to boot. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: You would think he would get the roster he wants, at least to a point.  Will he get the FA's he wants?  The Rams spent some money to fill out their roster.  Does he get that luxury here?  Or even anything close to it?

Are they gonna give him carte blanche or what Marvin had or somewhere in between?

I gotta say--he must have knocked their sox off in the interview.  They didn't even seem to have a second interview, took out a lot of the staff, which included most of Marv's lifers and now they've let go of the guy they were giddy about hiring just a year ago and was, according to more than one, the best coach on the staff last year.  

When you read the tea leaves, you know you're in uncharted territory.  This relative babe in the woods is gonna be steering the ship, driving the bus, in a way that maybe even Marv was not allowed to.

And we get to sit around and wait for it to break ground.  Can't root for the Rams any more, sorry Whit.

They took this big of a risk signing him and removing the current staff, I don't see why they wouldn't also wipe how they did things with bleach as well. But weirder things have happened lol
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: And lets see how they do after Goff gets extended with their aging o-line to boot. 

Hell Id be okay with a few losing seasons if the Bengals won the super bowl. I'd be willing if they could win ONE playoff game!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 10:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: And lets see how they do after Goff gets extended with their aging o-line to boot. 

You know it HH, it is now or never for the Rams, if they don't get that ring soon it might not happen for awhile. They put out tons of dough for all those FA's going all out for that ring, worked for the Broncos that one year when they got Peyton and built that Defense. Lets see if it works for the Rams this time around, could backfire.

All we need to do is solidify the O-line and the Linebacking core and with good coaching we might be good to go for years.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 08:07 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Hell Id be okay with a few losing seasons if the Bengals won the super bowl. I'd be willing if they could win ONE playoff game!!!!

Same here, we are desperate folk.
Reply/Quote
The question that needs to be answered is Where is Mike Brown and what have they done with him? Will he get a new nickname of Waldo? Personally I think he was secretly traded to the Steelers and renamed Dan Rooney.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This board was pretty close on what coaches go and which ones stay, though nobody saw the Pollack thing coming.

How close to right will the board be on which players will go?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, we are desperate folk.

Building a winner is the first step to building a dynasty. Dynasties are made of great coaches, front offices that are creative in using the salary cap and unselfish players who will work their salaries to benefit their teams. Lets hope the next generation of the Brown family is better than this one.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 06:11 PM)McC Wrote: This board was pretty close on what coaches go and which ones stay, though nobody saw the Pollack thing coming.

How close to right will the board be on which players will go?

Thinking close on the team, maybe not on free agents and the draft. We have a good idea about the players who should take note of this new (unpredictable) day and be nervous. This staff won't have any attachment to them (and their "locker room leadership").

It's free agency that will test the board. Will that be anything new? What kind of players will these coaches try to bring? Their "Locker room guys" not big time free agents. Marvin got his when he was hired. As time went on, we knew to look for the vet lb and reclamation project at one of our weakest spots during free agency. Our day one signing wouldn't even have a job in the league if it wasn't for us. All to free up the first round for our CB, WR, or OT (we've been better in recent years drafting a C and G, but you still get the sense MB/Marvin, values certain positions at certain spots). Will that philosophy change? Do the new coaches value DE's or DT's early? How much do they risk on talent with bad character?

That's where I think the board will be a little off. As we learn ZT and co's (I guess we can call them co until we have proof they exist) tendencies.  

We've got a long way to go to get it right. Give it 10 years or so.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 12:26 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I'd be all for a QB if they went out and signed some quality free agents at LB and Oline. Question is who do they take? Do they have to move up? Haskins or Murray?

I wouldn’t be excited with Murray. Electric college player, but my main concern with him is size and arm strength. He is all of 5’9 and weighs around 175-180. He is a LITTLE guy. Completely anecdotal, but I am 6’ and 190. I work for ESPN during the season and living in Oklahoma, I work a lot of OU games. I saw Murray quite a bite and stood next to him multiple times. He is just a small dude.

I also feel like too many of his passes to the boundaries don’t have adequate zip on them. They hang a little bit.
Reply/Quote

Murray? Laugh. Not an NFL QB and don't look for him to be drafted for that position before the 3rd round and whoever does draft him to play QB will be wasting their pick. Murray < Lamar Jackson < many QBs. Lamar Jackson will be shut down in the 2019 season as the gimmick offense he can run is adjusted for. The NFL is full of fast players.

Haskins will be gone before the Bengals pick unless he suffers some bad injury at the combine or something odd like that, or the Bengals trade up (unlikely).

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 12:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Murray? Laugh. Not an NFL QB and don't look for him to be drafted for that position before the 3rd round and whoever does draft him to play QB will be wasting their pick.

Haskins will be gone before the Bengals pick unless he suffers some bad injury at the combine or something odd like that, or the Bengals trade up (unlikely).

Murray will be taken in the first.   It's a virtual certainty.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 12:32 PM)McC Wrote: Murray will be taken in the first.   It's a virtual certainty.

Nope, don't see it at all if we are talking the QB position. Whoever would spend a 1st on him to play QB would have to be acting out of complete desperation.

Drafting him to play WR would be different and might warrant a higher pick than the 3rd.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 12:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Nope, don't see it at all if we are talking the QB position. Whoever would spend a 1st on him to play QB would have to be acting out of complete desperation.

Drafting him to play WR would be different and might warrant a higher pick than the 3rd.

I didn't say we would draft him.  But somebody will take him in the first to play QB.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 12:41 PM)McC Wrote: I didn't say we would draft him.  But somebody will take him in the first to play QB.

I have a bridge for sale in Antarctica. 

And I wasn't implying we would draft him either. It would be a desperation move by some GM to do that.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 12:42 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I have a bridge for sale in Antarctica. 

And I wasn't implying we would draft him either. It would be a desperation move by some GM to do that.

QB's--desperation.  They kinda go hand in hand.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 12:48 PM)McC Wrote: QB's--desperation.  They kinda go hand in hand.

You do have a point there. The Browns made a bi-annual spectacle out of drafting QBs for a couple of decades.

Reply/Quote