Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hendrickson has requested a trade
(05-14-2024, 07:33 AM)Stewy Wrote: Not defending Marge, but that was 34 years ago.  The Farm should have been rebuilt 3x over that period.  The lack of success over the last two decades has nothing to do with Marge.

I'd say over the last fifteen years you're correct 100%. It wasn't just the talent she sold off, she completely gutted the scouting department as well. From what I've heard over the years, Pete was handling all of the personnel decisions until his banishment. She did do well in getting Lou, but other than that, she kinda sunk the franchise for a long time. To your point though, no one has really rectified the situation she created either. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 06:01 PM)pally Wrote: except he isn't just a top 10 DE...he's a top 5 DE since he became a Bengal.   

Except he's terrible against the run. If he was as good as Hubbard against the run he'd be top 5.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2024, 10:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd say over the last fifteen years you're correct 100%. It wasn't just the talent she sold off, she completely gutted the scouting department as well. From what I've heard over the years, Pete was handling all of the personnel decisions until his banishment. She did do well in getting Lou, but other than that, she kinda sunk the franchise for a long time. To your point though, no one has really rectified the situation she created either. 
Was'nt Jim Bowden the architect of that team?
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2024, 11:05 AM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Was'nt Jim Bowden the architect of that team?

I don't know if he was on the staff then, but he wasn't formally the GM until 1992. He may very well have had some input if he was a part of the organization prior to 92. I don't remember/,know enough about the front office of the Reds back then to say for sure. 

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 06:23 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: In sacking the QB sure, what about the rest of his game?  Two years ago he was not a top 5 DE, maybe not top 10.  He is appropriately paid.  If he was Aaron Donald, Myles garret, he would have a gripe.

You took the words right out of my mouth. 

Equating sacks with the best DEs is just not accurate. There is more to the game than that. When the Ravens were beating us in the POs, we pulled Trey & put Sample in to set the edge. 
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2024, 05:55 PM)pally Wrote:

For as much as people shit on him... That dude's a man. That's how you do man things. You stand there, like a man, voice your thoughts, and own your shit. That is how to selfishly be unselfish and I hope he gets paid by the Bengals for being a good dude.

Trey Hendrickson is a grown ass man. I hope he gets more money, if for no other reason than his showing up, knowing he has to stand there and answer questions like that.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2024, 06:38 PM)PDub80 Wrote: For as much as people shit on him... That dude's a man. That's how you do man things. You stand there, like a man, voice your thoughts, and own your shit. That is how to selfishly be unselfish and I hope he gets paid by the Bengals for being a good dude.

Trey Hendrickson is a grown ass man. I hope he gets more money, if for no other reason than his showing up, knowing he has to stand there and answer questions like that.

He got a lot of backlash for his earlier words/actions. Deservedly so in my book. That said, facing the music takes courage and character. I can respect his decision to come to voluntary workouts earlier, meeting with the rooks, and taking those tough questions and manning up. 

Reply/Quote
With him being sort of a "lone wolf" when it comes to work outs and off season stuff, I have to wonder if him showing up at voluntaries after the trade request (and owning his words and actions) is genuine. His play on the field says "team leader". Is this Trey evolving / maturing as a man and here because he wants to be? Or is this showing up a bit of a ploy in the hopes of being seen more favorably so he can try to get more money when he's eligible?
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2024, 10:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: He got a lot of backlash for his earlier words/actions. Deservedly so in my book. That said, facing the music takes courage and character. I can respect his decision to come to voluntary workouts earlier, meeting with the rooks, and taking those tough questions and manning up. 

People get their panties in a wad when a player in a contract negotiation asks for a trade. It's a contract negotiation tool used by sports agents. Trey has always said he wants to be here, he just wanted a new deal. He jumped the gun on the new deal, since he just signed one last year, but he has never said he didn't want to be here, his stated goal was to ensure he's here long time. If he's feeling bigger, stronger and faster than he ever has, look out opposing QB's. If we can get some added pass rush from our new DT, they ought to be able to wreak havoc. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People get their panties in a wad when a player in a contract negotiation asks for a trade. It's a contract negotiation tool used by sports agents. Trey has always said he wants to be here, he just wanted a new deal. He jumped the gun on the new deal, since he just signed one last year, but he has never said he didn't want to be here, his stated goal was to ensure he's here long time. If he's feeling bigger, stronger and faster than he ever has, look out opposing QB's. If we can get some added pass rush from our new DT, they ought to be able to wreak havoc. 

The timing and optics were very bad. I don't begrudge anyone looking for a trade, like Tee for example, but Trey JUST signed his extension last year. I think that's where a lot of the vitriol in this specific incident comes from. It's definitely what irked me.

Having said that, I do agree with the rest of the post. If he's feeling better than ever, opposing QBs could be in for a rough year against the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 10:30 AM)Wyche Wrote: The timing and optics were very bad. I don't begrudge anyone looking for a trade, like Tee for example, but Trey JUST signed his extension last year. I think that's where a lot of the vitriol in this specific incident comes from. It's definitely what irked me.

I dunno... I stay clear of judging players on the optics. I find NFLers increasingly live double lives: what we hear about through/what they say to the media (i.e., the optics), versus what's really going on. That's not specific to the Bengals either. That's just the norm league-wide. With Trey, I think we still don't know the full story. He wanted a trade... from a team that he loves? He wanted a raise... before one could even be negotiated? There are clearly gaps in our understanding of the conflict, and until we know what they are I find it's tough to take a position one way or the other. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 10:59 AM)tms Wrote: I dunno... I stay clear of judging players on the optics. I find NFLers increasingly live double lives: what we hear about through/what they say to the media (i.e., the optics), versus what's really going on. That's not specific to the Bengals either. That's just the norm league-wide. With Trey, I think we still don't know the full story. He wanted a trade... from a team that he loves? He wanted a raise... before one could even be negotiated? There are clearly gaps in our understanding of the conflict, and until we know what they are I find it's tough to take a position one way or the other. 

That's a fair take. You're right, it's a convoluted mess. For what's it worth, I typically side with players. Their career could end in a flash and the league and owners rake in money hand over fist. This scenario got in my crawl, but I can admit I may have rushed to judgement. I do love the relentless effort Trey gives on the field. 

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 10:30 AM)Wyche Wrote:
The timing and optics were very bad.
I don't begrudge anyone looking for a trade, like Tee for example, but Trey JUST signed his extension last year. I think that's where a lot of the vitriol in this specific incident comes from. It's definitely what irked me.

Having said that, I do agree with the rest of the post. If he's feeling better than ever, opposing QBs could be in for a rough year against the Bengals.

They were, that's why I said he jumped the gun. Some of the responses were a little over the top as well.
Reply/Quote
I didn't like the timing, but you really never know who to blame for this stuff the agent or the player so it's hard to hold any ill intent. Especially after they smooth it over as well as he did.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I wish everyone could handle "No" as maturely as Hen did
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2024, 05:55 PM)pally Wrote:

I am back to liking Trey again after this. Takes ballz to stand up and be a man and talk about this so openly.

Also coming into voluntaries was a cool thing to do. Great stuff, makes me feel much better, thanks for this interview Pally. Cool
Reply/Quote
1 thing that might have influenced a change of heart for this season anyway....his wife is expecting their first child and she has her PhD residency here in Cincinnati. I can't see him wanting to be away from her for 8 months and she can't easily pack up and leave without starting all over again

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2024, 10:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: He got a lot of backlash for his earlier words/actions. Deservedly so in my book. That said, facing the music takes courage and character. I can respect his decision to come to voluntary workouts earlier, meeting with the rooks, and taking those tough questions and manning up. 

Agreed - he aint no chump and he aint no coward.

I'm thinking there was some bad advice from his agent or his agent leaked it without asking or SOMETHING.  But clearly neither of them knew the rules associated with his eligibility (or lack thereof), due to him recently signing an extension.  He and his agent approach was amateur.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 06:58 PM)pally Wrote: 1 thing that might have influenced a change of heart for this season anyway....his wife is expecting their first child and she has her PhD residency here in Cincinnati.  I can't see him wanting to be away from her for 8 months and she can't easily pack up and leave without starting all over again

Which is strange in requesting a trade in the first place...

Like he said though, it was about the security. I am sure the Bengals will do what is needed to make them happy. They usually do for their players.

Especially a great pass rusher like Trey Hendrickson.
Reply/Quote