Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Here comes some negativity
It all depends if AJM's performance is by lack of talent or just lack of experience.

Hopefully he is able to read defense blitzes/defense shifts and checks out of certain plays in the future.

Some of that needs to come from the Center position as well.  So Bodine needs to be accountable for some of the blame.

RoyalRed posted some stills from the last game and the blocking issues are rampant from TEs, WRs, RBs, and the line its self.

I didn't see too many awful throws from AJM in the last game(even the long pass to AJ he placed where only he could get it) and it seemed like after the lead was established he played safe mode.

The latter was probably instructed by Hue.

He managed the game.  That's about all you could ask for in his first start under those circumstances.

We shall see how he fares against Denver's D.  The coaching will also be under review as well.

The upside being that Hue realizes that the whole offense needs to step it up.  

Not the same "we did some good things" broken record we have been hearing for years.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 08:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If the coaches can figure out AJs strengths and plans the offensive game plan around them, I feel we all may receive a huge performance from him. There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle which need to fit quickly to continue our run. But its not impossible.

How about Denver's weakness?  Pitt spread them out and threw the ball all over the place...Can Green get 8 plus receptions and 150 plus yards like Brown did?  Can they keep the heat off of AJ?  Denver plays man to man and has, what most say, is great CBs.  I saw a team in the second half last week that did not get any pressure on Pitt and their CBs get exposed.  Probably not going to happen with AJ at QB but that is what needs to happen.

Also, not all is lost in this race.  Denver is still a game behind us and has SD the last game.  I like our chances against Baltimore more than I like Denver against SD.  A loss by Denver and a win from us gives us the bye also in week 17.

Now, a win this week gives us a lot more options.  We can come out in week 17 and let AJ fling it all over and see what he really has in case Dalton is not back after the bye.  Let him come out and be more than a game manager and see what happens.  Nothing to lose at that point.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 01:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't. It seemed like all enthusiasm left when Carson did and I was just waiting for the team to implode with kINTna.

Another example of fan negativity creating our reality.
Reply/Quote
One more regular season win and we'll run the table in the playoffs to get to the Super Bowl. It's happened twice before. That is how I see it.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:53 AM)gobobro Wrote: We stepped on Denver last year without Eifert, Marvin Jones, Andre Smith (Winston had been signed to replace him 10 days before the game), Burfict, Michael Johnson... And AJ was banged up and out most of the game.

Not having Andy stinks, but I believe in these guys because they've already done it.

Agree.  The Steelers are not better than us.  They won because we lost our QB early in the game.  Adam Jones was not playing either.  He's our best corner and he also helps the other DBs play better.  They've said so themselves.  He sees things others don't see.  In addition, Eifert went out early in that game.    We will be healthier in the playoffs.  I believe Andy will be back and we will go to the Super Bowl.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:15 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Agree.  The Steelers are not better than us.  They won because we lost our QB early in the game. 

They won due to mistakes by a QB getting his first action and the ineffectiveness of the Bengals D on third down.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:08 AM)Utts Wrote: The way I see it, this team is just like the other playoff teams of the last few years. We're stumbling into the playoffs after a strong start. I really don't blame anyone, the Dalton injury really hurts. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I feel like our inability to run the ball last week is a huge red flag. Meanwhile the Steelers are arguably the best team in the AFC at this point, after beating 2/3 top teams in the conference in back to back weeks.

I know many of you'd like to see me jump of the ledge, but if anybody has a positive spin on where we're at by all means share.

I will at least give it a shot:

As one of the perpetual rose-colored glasses optimists, I feel it is almost my duty to respond.

Here is why I disagree with the fear generated by their inability to run the ball:  This was a 49er team that was giving up 20 or fewer points in every home game this season.  An oft-replaced grass field with questionable footing couldn't help.  I was shocked to see how many times Gio couldn't separate from guys he is much faster than...on turf.  

The game plan was incredibly conservative.  It was "don't be the one to mess up...make them mess up and take advantage, which they absolutely did.  AJ showed just a handful of attempts where he threw the ball to anyone but a checkdown.  He was actually pretty successful in those attempts.  

AJ Green, coming off his Friday injury at practice, was pulled in the second half.  Eifert never even started.  That offense looked a lot like the offense that Dalton had against the Colts in last year's playoff.  The didn't even attempt a pass in the fourth quarter.

Here is the biggest reason for optimism:  the defense.  Even without Iloka and Adam Jones in his first game back, that could have been a shutout.  It felt a lot like the Raider game week 1.  The defense was stifling.  Burfict, playing more snaps than any game all season, was an animal.  I was glad to see him play more in the nickel, as that will likely be a defense we see a lot against Denver and likely against a team like KC or pissburg in the playoffs.  

I also think the coaches realized that they didn't want to show too much of what AJ can/will do to Denver.  That is one of the reasons for Osweiler's early success and then recent struggles.  

My hope for the Denver game is that they really unleash AJ and let him try to run the offense that can win the game, not play to avoid losing it.  If he throws a couple picks and they lose, so be it....they will be that much more prepared for the postseason where they will need a QB that can win a game for them.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:50 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Here is a positive spin...It has been almost 15 years since Brady did it....He also had 1 TD and 1 Int in three games while winning the SB.. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/gamelog//#stats_playoffs

And he did it as a game manager, with an amazing defense.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:06 AM)Beaker Wrote: Another example of fan negativity creating our reality.

You know.....if the rest of the team hadn't laid down, I think we could've won that game with Kitna.  He played his heart out.....and we had the lead, too bad the rest of the team quit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 08:17 AM)Whacked Wrote: Denver D > Cincy D (not by much)
Denver QB > Cincy QB (only d/t lack of experience)
Playing AT Denver = advantage Denver
Prime Time game = disadvantage Cincy

On paper, this seems like a no brainer.
No AD = we lose.

This seems very logical, but this is a team that lost to a very beat up Raider team last week.  And what I like best is how they looked so awful (although I was rooting for them) in the second half last week.  Not finishing on a good rhythm is good for the Bengals.  

Meanwhile, the Bengals defense is coming off a stifling performance of the 49ers, and the offense was (albeit bland) mistake-free.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:16 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Me and you have been dogged before in this forum for hating on Dalton but it seems like we are his biggest supporters now. What i mean by that is that I don't see how this team can beat the Steelers and/or go deep in the playoffs with AJ McCarron. I just don't see it. Dalton has had a phenomenal year....I actually think with him healthy we are the best team in the AFC.  Guys like brady that come out of obscurity to win in the playoffs and Super Bowl come around once every 15 seasons. The chances of AJ taking us to the promise land are slim to none.

We need a healthy dalton if we want to have a legitimate chance to make a run this year. Bottom line.

For the record, the two of you were over the top dogging AD and kept saying things like AD would  never be good (let alone great) so your over the top negative comments and how you worded things were why you were considered trolls pertaining to AD. I mentioned more than once in the old forum the use of words like always and never come back to make people look smart

As for the current situation, we need to get a few guys healthy and keep everyone else healthy. If so, we have a good shot this year making some noise. This week will be tough if Geno can't play due to his illness and if Eifert is not back, but win or lose the season is not over. We have to win the division and get the home field. An extra week would help, but many teams have won who were seeded #3 or above. Our defense needs to keep stepping it up. In the past, our defense did not play exceptionally well in the playoffs (neither did our offense) so if they can turn up their performance, we are capable of beating anyone at home with AJ versus AD.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I honestly think we win the game Monday.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:16 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Me and you have been dogged before in this forum for hating on Dalton but it seems like we are his biggest supporters now.

In other words....bandwagon.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:16 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Me and you have been dogged before in this forum for hating on Dalton but it seems like we are his biggest supporters now. What i mean by that is that I don't see how this team can beat the Steelers and/or go deep in the playoffs with AJ McCarron. I just don't see it. Dalton has had a phenomenal year....I actually think with him healthy we are the best team in the AFC. Guys like brady that come out of obscurity to win in the playoffs and Super Bowl come around once every 15 seasons. The chances of AJ taking us to the promise land are slim to none.

We need a healthy dalton if we want to have a legitimate chance to make a run this year. Bottom line.

If we can take the broncos..... We might get to do it with dalton
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:08 AM)Utts Wrote: The way I see it, this team is just like the other playoff teams of the last few years. We're stumbling into the playoffs after a strong start. I really don't blame anyone, the Dalton injury really hurts. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I feel like our inability to run the ball last week is a huge red flag. Meanwhile the Steelers are arguably the best team in the AFC at this point, after beating 2/3 top teams in the conference in back to back weeks.

I know many of you'd like to see me jump of the ledge, but if anybody has a positive spin on where we're at by all means share.

As it stands right now the playoffs wont start for us until January 16th... That's like 3 weeks away. We haven't stumbled into anything yet. Calm down.
Reply/Quote
Here's to hoping our playoffs really start the 17th.
Reply/Quote

POSITIVE FACTS:  DEFENSE: we are ranked depending on your source in top 3 defenses in the league.. .we have actually improved in Defense since our 8-0 start.. getting Burfict back.  Another positive spin is even in the Pittsburgh game, we help Ben without a TD, what team has done that lately ?  

Also I would add playing 3-3 in last 6 games is stumbling into the playoffs right now especially since we have  much more injuries since 8-0 start.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 08:17 AM)Whacked Wrote: Denver D > Cincy D (not by much)
Denver QB > Cincy QB (only d/t lack of experience)
Playing AT Denver = advantage Denver
Prime Time game = disadvantage Cincy

On paper, this seems like a no brainer.
No AD = we lose.

I would say Prime Time game = even since we beat Denver last year in prime time and their QB has been struggling 
Reply/Quote
Gawd I can't wait until Monday Night...
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:06 AM)Beaker Wrote: Another example of fan negativity creating our reality.

I predicted wins vs Steelers and Texans. Why wasn't I rewarded for my positivity? I don't buy into that stuff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote