Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Here comes some negativity
I'm not sure you can necessarily classify us as "stumbling" into the playoffs when we clenched a playoff berth with two games remaining in the season. We also always maintained control over our own destiny THE ENTIRE SEASON, never requiring any "help" — which is quite different from previous years.

With that said, the guys just need to take care of business come Monday night to lock up that first round bye and the North. All signs point to Andy being back pretty quick, and the quicker the better (the longer he's out, the more I fear of him losing his "momentum").
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:39 PM)Utts Wrote: Lol. The Steelers are surging into the playoffs, and defeated the Broncos. We are going to get are asses handed to us by the Broncos. 

Who's backing in, and who is surging in?

Before you start writing excuses about injuries, the reason why we're backing in is not the point - the thing is we are. Whatever the reason we're going to back in, and then promptly get pumped in the ass by whomever we face first round. 

Well you're really selective in what you read I just sent you a nice link that basically says hot teams does not guarantee playoff victories and I don't believe we're stumbling anyway, did we not just win our last game with our backup quarterback and don't we now have one of the top defenses in the NFL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's Dalton's health. If he's healthy, I don't see a single team we can't beat.

And the Steelers last 3 wins have all been against backup quarterbacks. They beat the Luck-less Colts. The Manning-less Broncos. And the Dalton-less Bengals.

When the Steelers play against teams with winning records that have their actual 1st string QB, they're 1-4. Throw in their last 2 wins and they're still 3-4 against teams with winning records.

They've beaten a Broncos team, that and Arizona are really their only BIG wins. They struggle against teams with legit quarterbacks. Heck. They almost lost to the Raiders.

That offense is great. But that secondary is dreadful.

I still take the Patriots over them. With Dalton, I take the Bengals over them. That secondary isn't built to stop any legit quarterback.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:39 PM)Utts Wrote: Lol. The Steelers are surging into the playoffs, and defeated the Broncos. We are going to get are asses handed to us by the Broncos. 

Before you start writing excuses about injuries, the reason why we're backing in is not the point - the thing is we are. Whatever the reason we're going to back in, and then promptly get pumped in the ass by whomever we face first round. 

But the Broncos are stumbling into the playoffs Nervous  If they even make it....

Also, how are the Bengals stumbling? Andy Dalton is 3-1 against teams with winning records this season.

Plus, we're 11-3. I'm not sure how we're stumbling. We won our last game convincingly. Been in EVERY game. Came back against playoff teams.

So....how exactly are we 'backing into the playoffs'? I mean, we had to win last week to make it into the playoffs and we did. So?.....
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:53 AM)gobobro Wrote: We stepped on Denver last year without Eifert, Marvin Jones, Andre Smith (Winston had been signed to replace him 10 days before the game), Burfict, Michael Johnson... And AJ was banged up and out most of the game.

Not having Andy stinks, but I believe in these guys because they've already done it.

Except.. basically everything that allowed the Bengals to beat the Broncos last year isn't there now....

-Manning's Dying Noodle Arm's 4 INTs (Note Kirkpatrick hasn't had an INT since.)
-Explosive ST Plays (Jones is busy full time at CB now.)
-Jeremy Hill not sucking (22 carries, 147 yards)
-Dalton making lemonade out of a lemon WR corp (Sanu 1/16, Tate 1/12, Sanzenbacher 1/11... that's it for the WRs)

You mention not having Eifert and AJ being banged up, but that's pretty much the same situation now. Eifert still isn't out of concussion protocol and AJ is dealing with back issues. I don't see positive things happening with an Eifert and AJ-less McCarron and 3.4 YPC Hill on the road vs the #1 defense. Don't forget a limited Atkins due to sickle cell, who Lewis shouldn't let play. Ryan Clark almost DIED after he played there in 2007. He had to get his spleen and gallbladder removed, missing the rest of the year.

It all just adds up pretty badly regardless of how badly I want the Bengals to win this game and the next and get that first round bye to let Dalton heal an extra week.

- - - - -
PS: The ST really freaking tore up that game looking back at the box score. 3 KR at a 44 yard average, 3 PR at a 23.6 yard average.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 02:38 AM)Utts Wrote: I think their defense vs. our offense is a huge mismatch. That's why...

You make a good point about how similar the teams are, but I still think their defense in Denver will shut our offense down. They will probably score at least 7 on defense, and I predict at least 3 turnovers.

Bet?
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 02:38 AM)Utts Wrote: I think their defense vs. our offense is a huge mismatch. That's why...

You make a good point about how similar the teams are, but I still think their defense in Denver will shut our offense down. They will probably score at least 7 on defense, and I predict at least 3 turnovers.

Sig bet?
Reply/Quote
A negative post from Utts? Who would have ever imagined such a thing?

BTW Utts, did you just cut and paste your comments about the Broncos destroying us from last year at this time?

The Steelers supposedly unstoppable offense has been out gained the last two weeks by opposing teams with a back up QB. The last time the Steelers played a team with its starting QB in place the lost by 9 to the Seahawks. To anoint the Steelers as "the best team in the AFC" is absurd.

The Broncos have only won 3 of their last 7 games with 2 of those wins coming against the Chargers and Bears. Their supposedly awesome defense has given up 24 or more points in 4 of those 7 games.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 02:35 AM)Utts Wrote: If you'd like to have a cheerleading circle jerk, maybe you should start your own board? Otherwise why don't you grow up, and recognize that there are different opinions out there.

The name calling and personal attacks do not constitute a rational argument to the contrary, so I can only assume you can't produce one.

Consistent unfounded negativity in the face of positive results is an opinion? Seems more like a lousy character trait to everyone else in the world. Stop hating life and taking it out on the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 12:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A negative post from Utts?  Who would have ever imagined such a thing?

BTW Utts, did you just cut and paste your comments about the Broncos destroying us from last year at this time?

The Steelers supposedly unstoppable offense has been out gained the last two weeks by opposing teams with a back up QB.  The last time the Steelers played a team with its starting QB in place the lost by 9 to the Seahawks.  To anoint  the Steelers as "the best team in the AFC" is absurd.

The Broncos have only won 3 of their last 7 games with 2 of those wins coming against the Chargers and Bears.  Their supposedly awesome defense has given up 24 or more points in 4 of those 7 games.
I agree here, Pittsburg, while I do think they are pretty good, is not the best team in the afc. With Andy Dalton we probably should have beat them a few weeks ago. Their defense is suspect and their offense really doesn't produce much against our defense. 

With Andy Dalton we are the best team in the afc and I have no doubts about that. Without him? I really don't know. I guess you say new England if only because of Brady and Gronk, but do you really trust that injury riddled team? 

If McCarron can prove he can handle more of the offense and the bengals don't feel like they need to pare back because of him,  then, and only then, cincinnati might jump back in the conversation. 

Monday night will tell us a lot about what we really have with McCarron. It will tell us much more about where the coaches really think he is in terms of running this offense. And if he is given more it will tell us where he actually is running this offense. 

Reply/Quote
Agree with most everyone here (except for UTTS). This is AJ's game to win or lose. I think if the coaching staff goes too conservative, we might lose this game. Trying to force the run isn't going to cut it. AJ MUST stretch the field. Time to admit that Hill is knee deep in his sophomore slump and quite trying to force him into a major part of the game plan....short yardage is where we need him.

Bring the heat to Brock....incessantly.

Bengals can win this game. I think they'll want it more.
Reply/Quote
Aj needs to manage this game with accurate high percentage passes. Don't lose the game for us with turnovers. I'm going to put this game on the OL and hill/bernard. It has to happen this week. Another dud from Hill may be the end for him in my opinion. This is his chance to really help the team.

The defense will do all they can to keep us in it, but they can't hold out forever. 3rd down conversions for the offense will be key especially with Geno's condition.

I think they have a good shot to win. They have to play smart football though and don't burn up all the timeouts early.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 12:20 PM)Beaker Wrote: Consistent unfounded negativity in the face of positive results is an opinion? Seems more like a lousy character trait to everyone else in the world. Stop hating life and taking it out on the Bengals.
He's gone now....  Waiting and hoping our  team loses so he can tell us he told us so.  It amuses me to no end to see the Dalton haters all over his jock.  The Bengals have no chance against Denver because Andy Dalton is injured...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
No Bet....I geuss
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:56 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It seems to be heading the same way, "stumbling into the playoffs", with injuries starting to mount. But that won't really be determined until the season wraps up and we see who's in and who's out.

I wouldn't call the steelers the best team in the AFC until they go on the road and beat a "healthy" team. I don't believe they can do it. Moderate pressure on Ben and a good offensive output will beat the steelers.

Yup. The media loves Pittsburgh, so they've been skating over the fact that Pitt has been extremely lucky in the 2nd half of their season, especially with when they've played their opponents. They've won their last 3 games, including us, against backup QB's. They beat teams that were without Luck, Dalton, & Manning. The Steelers are not the best team in the AFC....Dalton doesn't break his thumb and we win that game, no doubt in my mind. 
Reply/Quote

How come no one remembers that "surging" steelers team from '11 that won 6 of their last 7 and 10 of 12, before losing on the road in the first round of the playoffs to Tim Tebow?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Last I checked we haven't lost to the Broncos yet.  So to say we are going to get our asses handed to us by the Broncos is pure speculation.

However let us say that we do lose to the Broncos.  As others have said, even with Dalton as the QB, we are expected to lose this game.  So it wouldn't be a surprise or shock.

Now the part of this that I really think is disingenuous, that is "The Steelers are surging into the playoffs, and defeated the Broncos".

The Steelers have beaten teams that have had to play their backup QBs, even with our back up QB, we played the Steelers much better than the scoreboard showed, especially when you consider that 2 of their 3 TDs were due to our young backup's mistakes.  Without those 2 mistakes, their offense only got 19 points, our offense was able to generate 20 points.  That's right, a mistake free football game would have resulted in a Bengals victory.

Now the Broncos.  Yes even if they beat us, that doesn't mean the Steelers are the better team, since the Steelers beat them.  The Bengals will be in Denver, while the Broncos had to play in Pittsburgh.  We all know that playing on the road is different and usually harder than playing at home, that is why they call it "home field advantage".  If the Broncos played the Steelers at home, then I think the outcome of that game is different.  The Steelers don't come back to win in the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:39 PM)Utts Wrote: The Steelers are surging into the playoffs

Today's loss to the woeful ravens makes this post even more stupid than it was when he first posted it.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 07:47 PM)Utts Wrote: Right. Get back to me Tuesday morning.

I will get back to you right now.. Bengals just locked up Division since your surging Steelers just lost to a 5-10 team
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2015, 06:50 PM)Beaker Wrote: Today's loss to the woeful ravens makes this post even more stupid than it was when he first posted it.

(12-27-2015, 07:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I will get back to you right now.. Bengals just locked up Division since your surging Steelers just lost to a 5-10 team

What a great day. The all mighty Steelers looked pretty mundane today in a loss to a horrible Ravens team. Surging alright hahahha
Reply/Quote