Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Higgins signs new deal?
(04-10-2023, 12:15 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: So we're not signing Jamar then?

BEcuase if we paid Tee anywhere close to his market value, it'd be mind numbingly stupid to then pay Joe and Jamar close to their value.

We’ll sign Jamarr as long as he doesn’t have some devastating injuries. We can and should sign all 3. As long as there isn’t a no-trade clause there is no reason not to sign him and keep them all together for as long as possible. When we get to a serious numbers crunch we can easily trade a guy like Tee at a contract like that for a 1st rounder plus. Any team would do that trade in a heartbeat.

The real question is, why would people rather give up Tee now or next season because we may have problems 3-4 years from now, when we could keep him 3-4 more years and then move on AND get a high pick for him at that time?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 12:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Oh yea. To be clear, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Tee's extension is announced today. There is plenty of smoke and, like I said, Zim is not a Malik Wright type person who prides themselves on "getting the scoop" and being wrong half (or 75% or 90%) of the time. I genuinely believe that he believes he knows something.

I just think Tee's mom's tweet there was confusing as it muddles what would otherwise be a ton of smoke that would indicate, to me, an extension announcement coming soon.

I'm on board with your analysis. So, I do expect an announcement coming soon. But the 5 years/85 million seems to come out of nowhere, without a credible source cited, just a vague "insider" from a poster. So, I'll just hold my breath that it's a reasonable contract that won't hamper the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 12:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: We’ll sign Jamarr as long as he doesn’t have some devastating injuries. We can and should sign all 3. As long as there isn’t a no-trade clause there is no reason not to sign him and keep them all together for as long as possible. When we get to a serious numbers crunch we can easily trade a guy like Tee at a contract like that for a 1st rounder plus. Any team would do that trade in a heartbeat.

The real question is, why would people rather give up Tee now or next season because we may have problems 3-4 years from now, when we could keep him 3-4 more years and then move on AND get a high pick for him at that time?

It may not be that people are giving up on having Tee now or next season.

It may be that some people are questioning whether or not the Bengals will actually go the route of signing and keeping all three. (Burrow/Higgins/Chase)

I Love having all three players but I kick around the Pros and Cons of paying all three players what they will command in the Marketplace.

I do lean towards keeping them together as long as we can but the Chiefs just went the trade away Tyreek Hill route after signing Mahommes long term. The Chiefs are a well run Organization and this could be a signal that keeping all three (Burrow/Higgins/Chase) may not be a slam dunk.

There may be some hard realities and trade offs to keeping all three that may prevent it from happening longer term.

Of course the Bengals Front Office will keep alive the idea of keeping all three to keep these players in a positive state of mind.

Will the Bengals pass on trading one of them away at some point and actually keep them together longer term is still an open question in some peoples' minds until the Bengals commit to doing it. 

I agree that this is not a right now decision. 
Reply/Quote
Still think the Bengals sign all 3 to a long term deal. Now, they may structure it to where the contract accelerates towards the end to take advantage of the inevitability of higher future cap ceilings, but if a player is productive, and they drafted them, they have proven they will pay to keep them.

I just saw where the Ravens signed Beckham. Personally, I wouldn’t trade Beckham even up for Chase, Higgins or Boyd at this juncture. Heck, given Beckham’s injury history, I probably wouldn’t even trade him for Trenton Irwin (who I like a lot).

Further, who is this person that has said we have this “secret contract extension” with Tee? Never heard of him. Looks like click bait.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 12:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Oh yea. To be clear, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Tee's extension is announced today. There is plenty of smoke and, like I said, Zim is not a Malik Wright type person who prides themselves on "getting the scoop" and being wrong half (or 75% or 90%) of the time. I genuinely believe that he believes he knows something.

I just think Tee's mom's tweet there was confusing as it muddles what would otherwise be a ton of smoke that would indicate, to me, an extension announcement coming soon.

In fairness to Malik he has won me quite a lot of money the past couple of years with his insider tips when it comes to the draft so has connections somewhere.

He is however full of his own self importance along with half of Bengals Twitter, maybe it’s an American thing where you are all much politer dealing with people with egos because over here 90% of em would be told to **** off.

The only one I follow is Goodberry because he helps me understand the game better
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 01:43 PM)Graphicguy Wrote:   Personally, I wouldn’t trade Beckham even up for Chase, Higgins or Boyd at this juncture. 

No kidding.  Their values aren't even close at this stage.
Reply/Quote
I think Joe is insisting on the Bengals
Retaining Tee along with Chase for the
Long term. It easy to forget Tee and Joe
Were drafted the same year. And over
3 years there is undeniable trust and
Chemistry between all 3.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 01:11 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

It may not be that people are giving up on having Tee now or next season.

It may be that some people are questioning whether or not the Bengals will actually go the route of signing and keeping all three. (Burrow/Higgins/Chase)

I Love having all three players but I kick around the Pros and Cons of paying all three players what they will command in the Marketplace.

I do lean towards keeping them together as long as we can but the Chiefs just went the trade away Tyreek Hill route after signing Mahommes long term. The Chiefs are a well run Organization and this could be a signal that keeping all three (Burrow/Higgins/Chase) may not be a slam dunk.

There may be some hard realities and trade offs to keeping all three that may prevent it from happening longer term.

Of course the Bengals Front Office will keep alive the idea of keeping all three to keep these players in a positive state of mind.

Will the Bengals pass on trading one of them away at some point and actually keep them together longer term is still an open question in some peoples' minds until the Bengals commit to doing it. 

I agree that this is not a right now decision. 

Keeping Burrow & Chase long term is literally one of thexeasiest decisions in the history of football. Literally a no-brainer on both. 

The only question is Higgins. If he is staying, then yes, we are keeping all three. It is not Higgins OR Chase. 

Again, these extensions are gonna kick in over time. Yes, the signing bonuses will get spread out over time and hit this year. And for Chase/Burrow the 5th year option is a big bump. 

But remember, we have enough space, right now, to absorb the signing bonuses for Burrow (projected $7.5 per) and Higgins into our cap space, this year. 

2023: Burrow & Higgins signing bonus. 
2024: Burrow 5th year bump, Higgins/Wilson new deals kick in, Chase signing bonus.
2025: Burow extension kicks in, Chase 5th bump. 
2026: Chase extension kicks in. 

We won't actually be paying all 3 on their new deals until 2026. 4 seasons from now. The cap will likely be pushing $265 mil, or more ($300?) by then. And we have a lot of high salaried guys who will come off the books in that span. Mixon, Jonah, and Collins for sure (this year or next). That's $30 mil or so right there. Boyd & BJ Hill are $10 mil each. That's another $20. If we are paying rookie scale replacements, we are saving $45 mil right there. Add in $10-$15 in cap growrh per, and we have it covered. 

Yes, we need to spend wisely & draft well. Yes, there may be tough decisions coming on some guys (Wilson, Boyd, Reader, Awuzie, BJ Hill, Hendrickson, Hubbard, Hilton). Some will leave. But all those guys (except for Wilson) are already well paid. Their next deal (their 3rd) is likely LESS valuable than the one they are on now. Or at least not a big raise. 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 12:33 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Nah, we'll definitely sign Ja'marr and Joe. The question won't be "will they sign all 3?" The question always has been "Is it a good idea to sign all 3, from a team building perspective?"

We'll get an answer to the latter question in about 3 or 4 years, assuming Tee does get extended and they ink both Joe and Ja'marr, as expected.

If we fail to win a Super Bowl and/or disappoint in the playoffs/regular season due to a weak defense or weak o-line because we couldn't afford to sign the guys we needed to, then we'll have that answer.

If we go on to win a Super Bowl or two or, at the very least, remain as competiitve as we are right now, then we'll also have that answer.

Well said. 

I am in the camp "spend more money on the OL and DL rather than the WR unit". We will see how it shakes out, though. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Unless there was personality conflicts Tee was staying in Cincinnati long term. The Bengals offense can always be elite with Burrow, Chase and Tee. This is a very rare combination for an NFL team so the Bengals should do whatever they must to have the money to make it happen. Also the money for elite QB's has become so stratospheric that Burrow can, in a way, play banker to the Bengals Cap Space squeeze by giving back a tiny bit if that gets the deals done. I doubt he needs to do it this year given Mixon, Williams or Collins can also, in a way, play banker to the Bengals Cap Space squeeze.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 02:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Well said. 

I am in the camp "spend more money on the OL and DL rather than the WR unit". We will see how it shakes out, though. 

Same. Mahomes proves this.

Chiefs got rid of Hill …. and win a SB

Stack this OLine and JB can beat you w high school receivers.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 04:16 PM)Whacked Wrote: Same. Mahomes proves this.

Mahomes had arguably the worst postseason of his career.  He was held below 200 passing yards in two of KC's three playoff games and all went down to the wire.  
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 04:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: Mahomes had arguably the worst postseason of his career.  He was held below 200 passing yards in two of KC's three playoff games and all went down to the wire.  

cool

so I guess the 2021 chiefs were better than the 2022 chiefs?

it's a team game, smart pants

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 02:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Well said. 

Except that Joe wants Chase and Tee. Might be a good idea to keep him happy.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 04:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Except that Joe wants Chase and Tee. Might be a good idea to keep him happy.

I have no doubt in my mind that mahomes wouldve liked to have Tyreek Hill last year

any qb doesnt want their team letting go of an elite wr

unless you think Mahomes was a-ok with losing Hill... because if you think that... well.. lol

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 10:26 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: Her response is 100% an indication it’s not legit. If it was she wouldn’t respond. Her response shows there’s nothing to it.

Sucks bc that would have been the highlight of the off-season.

She's playing it off...
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: See above ^ 

Tees mom has been on Ace and Zims show numerous times lol... She's playing it off. It's obvious he signed.. You will hear something soon... next 24 hours..
Reply/Quote

People really need to stop with this. There’s absolutely no basis for it. He had Jefferson and Chase at LSU, and obviously Chase and Tee (plus Boyd) here. One game where Trenton Irwin caught 2 TD’s for 45 yards doesn’t mean Joe can put up elite numbers with scrubs.

As a true franchise QB Joe will have a lot of say on how they build his offense, so if he wants his weapons, give him his weapons.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 05:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People really need to stop with this. There’s absolutely no basis for it. He had Jefferson and Chase at LSU, and obviously Chase and Tee (plus Boyd) here. One game where Trenton Irwin caught 2 TD’s for 45 yards doesn’t mean Joe can put up elite numbers with scrubs.

As a true franchise QB Joe will have a lot of say on how they build his offense, so if he wants his weapons, give him his weapons.

I'd rather not roll the dice with a bunch of scrubs at wr.. 
Reply/Quote
I'm not at all familiar with this person. Are they considered a credible source?

Reply/Quote