Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - John Ross out "a couple weeks"
(09-01-2017, 02:32 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: If Ced O shows minimal improvement it won't matter who is playing WR, RB, or QB. This season hinges on the oline play.
No doubt. Everything is Ced's fault.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 02:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Psh to that.. go old school or go home!

[Image: hu-dey_beer.jpg]

Definitely considered, but that's not an official Bengals logo, so I decided to use one with.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 02:49 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Damnit. Hope this dosent turn into one of those drawn out injuries where they keep listing him as questionable and holding him back week after week. Anyone know if it was due to contact maybe defender twisted or hit the knee? If this was just from making a cut it's not a good sign.

So who takes his place in the meantime. Both Core and Malone can go deep. I wish we would use Erickson in the slot more. Anyway this sucks. Get well Ross.

It was on the play he had that 25 yard reverse. http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/John-Ross-evades-multiple-tacklers-on-wide-receiver-reverse/6cf305d1-280a-4aeb-80ce-eb1bc2f1087e

If I had to guess, I would say it was the tackle at the 21 second mark. Looked like his right knee buckled a tad too much at that angle. Luckily it wasnt worse though.

In terms of replacing him, probably wont be much to replace early on. AJ is the best deep threat due to his ability to grab those Dalton deep balls. Boyd is the best up and comer receiver on the team. LaFell is a solid veteran. And Eifert dominates the middle vertical threat. I think Core will be activated until Ross is back to use sparingly for his speed on the outside. And I can even see Erickson getting a handful of snaps in relief, as Erickson is a lock for the active gameday roster. I doubt Malone will be activated on gamedays, at least early on or unless injuries occur.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
No Ross means no vertical speed (as usual). But we survived without it before...as long as we have Eifert in the game and the OL actually blocks. I have a funny feeling Marvin is going to roll out Hill and Bernard even though Mixon should be getting a lot of snaps just because of the speed and big play ability he brings.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 03:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: No Ross means no vertical speed (as usual). But we survived without it before...as long as we have Eifert in the game and the OL actually blocks. I have a funny feeling Marvin is going to roll out Hill and Bernard even though Mixon should be getting a lot of snaps just because of the speed and big play ability he brings.

Your probably right about Hill and Bernard. That drives me nuts though cause we obviously wasn't satisfied with Hill the past 2 years which is why we went RB so early in the draft. Yet Hill will still start. Makes no sense, I would mix it up with Mixon and Bernard. Isn't RB supposed to be one of the few positions where you can just plug and play a rookie. Common Marvin Mix it up with Mixon!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 02:32 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: If Ced O shows minimal improvement it won't matter who is playing WR, RB, or QB. This season hinges on the oline play.

Well signs are pointing up.. he showed improvement in camp and preseason.. his 3rd game was his best game..... and teams with talent at their skilled positions  can survive a fair line... 
Reply/Quote
Sprained knees suck but if Ross was saying it was fine it must of been minor.

Just happy it wasn't anything really serious.

It sucks that he got injured though, not only cause i want to see the guy out there but i want him to shut all the haters up.

Now we have to listen to them for a couple more weeks. Sick
Reply/Quote
A lot of us fans thought this was a stupid pick. To suggest that we want him hurt for our own ego is silly. If he's healthy, he could help the team big time! I really, really hope that he can stay healthy. I doubt that he does though. Every year we expect Eifert to be hurt and for a certain CB and LB to get into trouble with the league. We don't want these things to happen. Past history can increase possibilities of something happening. The Bengals like to roll the dice and they often lose! I wish that weren't the case but don't expect us to be blind or silent to that fact.
Reply/Quote
It's the same reasoning on why Lawson dropped to the 4th, as opposed to a fringe first, too many injuries. The ONLY reason Ross was picked that high was because of his 40-time. Everything else about him is a lower quality prospect. If he had run a 4.40 probably would have bend a late first/early second.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It's the same reasoning on why Lawson dropped to the 4th, as opposed to a fringe first, too many injuries. The ONLY reason Ross was picked that high was because of his 40-time. Everything else about him is a lower quality prospect. If he had run a 4.40 probably would have bend a late first/early second.

Come on man, he was the best playmaker in the draft, the best redzone threat, had the most extensive
route tree, has great hands and scored a TD 1 out of every 5 times he touched the ball. It wasn't just his
forty time. Sure, had a lot to do with it but everyone knew he was extremely fast before he ran that forty
on his so called bum knees.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a John Ross hater, I wish him luck as a Bengal, BUT, he is a toothpick with extremely fast sticks and that usually does not fare well in the NFL!!

Reply/Quote
I was yelling for Mike Williams instead, but hey looks like things evened out. I think he will be good just going to take some time, to get in the groove of things.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It's the same reasoning on why Lawson dropped to the 4th, as opposed to a fringe first, too many injuries. The ONLY reason Ross was picked that high was because of his 40-time. Everything else about him is a lower quality prospect. If he had run a 4.40 probably would have bend a late first/early second.

Absolutely false. He lead Division I in red zone TDs last year. He's a complete WR who also happens to have blazing speed. So much was made of his 40 time that I think people didn't take the time to actually scout this guy or learn anything about him. After the red zone woes of last year, there wasn't a better player in the draft to help that defficiency than Ross.

This guy is so much more than just a vertical threat. The comparisons to the severely overrated Chris Henry are laughable. If used for what he is, Ross has huge upside. If the plan is just to have him run go routes and be a decoy, he's a wasted pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:07 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: A lot of us fans thought this was a stupid pick. To suggest that we want him hurt for our own ego is silly. If he's healthy, he could help the team big time! I really, really hope that he can stay healthy. I doubt that he does though. Every year we expect Eifert to be hurt and for a certain CB and LB to get into trouble with the league. We don't want these things to happen. Past history can increase possibilities of something happening. The Bengals like to roll the dice and they often lose! I wish that weren't the case but don't expect us to be blind or silent to that fact.

Trust me, there are those select special few on here that would like to see Ross get hurt. Those same few want Dalton to get hurt so McCarron can start. They're on here. As soon as the ineptness that is the Bengals medical staff screws this up, they'll come out of the woodwork with the I told you sos.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 05:13 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Absolutely false. He lead Division I in red zone TDs last year. He's a complete WR who also happens to have blazing speed. So much was made of his 40 time that I think people didn't take the time to actually scout this guy or learn anything about him. After the red zone woes of last year, there wasn't a better player in the draft to help that defficiency than Ross.

This guy is so much more than just a vertical threat. The comparisons to the severely overrated Chris Henry are laughable. If used for what he is, Ross has huge upside. If the plan is just to have him run go routes and be a decoy, he's a wasted pick.

I don't think it's too far fetched to think Ross would have been a late first/early 2nd round pick at all if he was a slower receiver. Heck even some of the experts projected him to be drafted around that time. If he's much slower with the injury history there is absolutely no reason to risk the 9th overall pick on a injury prone slow receiver of his size.

By the way I don't think Henry was overrated. He was an Idiot but he was a damn good receiver.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 05:13 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Absolutely false. He lead Division I in red zone TDs last year. He's a complete WR who also happens to have blazing speed. So much was made of his 40 time that I think people didn't take the time to actually scout this guy or learn anything about him. After the red zone woes of last year, there wasn't a better player in the draft to help that defficiency than Ross.

I think so too. If anything the forty time took away the truth of his value. That is all some know about him.

Ah, he is just a fast guy.

No, the guy is a complete WR that runs nearly every route and can line up at any position.

You are right about Henry being overrated by some on here. He was great at the go route because he was fast and tall
but he was not a complete receiver by any means. They have the same number and they scored a lot of TD's per catch,
but that is about where the similarities end and Ross begins to run away.

Plus Ross is a class act and i want him to succeed. Good man.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 05:46 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I don't think it's too far fetched to think Ross would have been a late first/early 2nd round pick at all if he was a slower receiver. Heck even some of the experts projected him to be drafted around that time. If he's much slower with the injury history there is absolutely no reason to risk the 9th overall pick on a injury prone slow receiver of his size.

By the way I don't think Henry was overrated. He was an Idiot but he was a damn good receiver.

I guess. So much was made about his speed that I think that blinds people to his actual value and ability. This is strictly my opinion, but based off of production and play, he was the best receiver in the Draft. Good, not great size, plus hands, plus catch radius, plus route runner, plus playmaker, plus red zone target, the list goes on and on. He's a complete WR, but people strictly focus on his speed because that's all the media talked about. I think people are severely overlooking his talent by saying the only reason he went so early was his speed. He is so much more than just a speedster.

I've never seen a Bengals player as overrated as Chris Henry. Besides 2006, his numbers are exceptionally pedestrian. Even 2006 wasn't a big year. Henry was a 1 trick pony.
Reply/Quote
I wasn't expecting a huge impact from him early anyways though it does continue to delay/slow his development. Fewer targets his rookie year to develop a rapport with Andy, especially after being out much of the pre-season.

Reply/Quote
I'm not going to start calling Ross - Eifert 2.0 just yet. But one eyebrow is up pretty high. Fingers crossed that it gets better from here.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 06:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not going to start calling Ross - Eifert 2.0 just yet. But one eyebrow is up pretty high. Fingers crossed that it gets better from here.

Come on. People still makes excuses for Tyler "Made of Glass" Eifert "Tower" (I just threw up in my mouth a little. I despise myself for a Chris Bermanesque nickname). Eifert makes Gronk look like a model of health. Even Burfict who has to be helped off the field at least once a game looks at Eifert and thinks he's hurt too much. Eifert wears more additional body armor than sluggers in baseball to protect all of his brittle parts. Okay, I've gone on enough. I actually like Eifert, but damn that dude hurts his hand turning off his alarm clock.

If Ross continues to miss games every year for 3-4 years, yeah, lets make the Eifert comparisons. Don't get me wrong, it's not starting off well for the guy, but I've never seen someone as Fra-gee-lay as Tyler Leg Lamp Eifert.
Reply/Quote