Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - John Ross out "a couple weeks"
(09-07-2017, 11:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: James Harrison earned his reputation as well and the man is still in the league approaching 40. Burfict has to adapt to the new rules and going after knees versus heads and he will be just fine.

Harrison has nowhere near the personal foul history as Burfict and certainly not back through college. Also Harrison is essentially a pass rusher who doesn't get as many open field shots on people.

It's essentially apples to oranges.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 12:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed WR was not as much of a need as DL/OL, but Ross was BPA over the OL/DL players available at 9, so I understand the selection.

What irks me is that the Bengals should have known the OL class was weak and should have tagged Whitworth to avoid any potential scenario where he would leave.

Agree completely and the Ross pick has grown on me if he can stay healthy. 

But would not have minded trading that slot and falling back to get a Cam Robinson either. 

Especially since it would have come with another high draft pick as well. Think he will be a solid player for a long time. Will know quickly though because he must try to block JJ Watt and Clowney in his first game Sunday. But think he fell through the cracks.      

Or Barnett as a pass rusher. 

Yet that was then and now am fine with what we have if Ross makes it on the field. He could add a dynamic to our offense that we may have never seen before. Exciting but frustrating at same time. 

Am a little scared that Bengals do not re-sign AJ because of this pick too. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 01:58 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree completely and the Ross pick has grown on me if he can stay healthy. 

But would not have minded trading that slot and falling back to get a Cam Robinson either. 

Especially since it would have come with another high draft pick as well. Think he will be a solid player for a long time. Will know quickly though because he must try to block JJ Watt and Clowney in his first game Sunday. But think he fell through the cracks.      

Or Barnett as a pass rusher.

Yet that was then and now am fine with what we have if Ross makes it on the field. He could add a dynamic to our offense that we may have never seen before. Exciting but frustrating at same time. 

Am a little scared that Bengals do not re-sign AJ because of this pick too. 

Maybe, but the OT prospects in 2018 look MUCH better than those in 2017.
McGlinchey, Williams, and Rankin would all go before any OT in 2017 if they had declared.

I'm glad the Bengals skipped on Barnett. I think they got much better value with Willis and Lawson than if they had taken Barnett in the 1st.

The thing that surprised me was taking Josh Malone with Minnesota's 4th rounder instead of OL. We knew there was going to be a log jam at WR anyway when LaFell was brought back and Ross was drafted. If the Bengals really do think that they can get away with finding quality starters at interior OL in the 4th round, they clearly had the opportunity to do so.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 02:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe, but the OT prospects in 2018 look MUCH better than those in 2017.
McGlinchey, Williams, and Rankin would all go before any OT in 2017 if they had declared.

I'm glad the Bengals skipped on Barnett. I think they got much better value with Willis and Lawson than if they had taken Barnett in the 1st.

The thing that surprised me was taking Josh Malone with Minnesota's 4th rounder instead of OL. We knew there was going to be a log jam at WR anyway when LaFell was brought back and Ross was drafted. If the Bengals really do think that they can get away with finding quality starters at interior OL in the 4th round, they clearly had the opportunity to do so.

Lafell and Green are 29 and 30 and going to slow down soon. Plus green has missed a bunch of games over the past 3 seasons.

IF you hit on both Ross and Malone...then you replace Green and Lafell in 2-3 years.

THAT'S why the Bengals did it. Not saying I would have did it that way...
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 03:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lafell and Green are 29 and 30 and going to slow down soon. Plus green has missed a bunch of games over the past 3 seasons.

IF you hit on both Ross and Malone...then you replace Green and Lafell in 2-3 years.

THAT'S why the Bengals did it. Not saying I would have did it that way...

Yea, I understand, but I thought it was a little preemptive to try to get in replacements for both for 2-3 years down the road.
The Bengals also had Core and Boyd in the wings, plus there will be a draft every year, so replacements 2-3 years down the road can be picked in next year's draft or the year after.
WR can also be picked up in FA. And that's practically the same as getting just the final year out of a guy like Malone, which is likely what will happen.

It's becoming annoying how this team focuses years down the road when it comes at the expense of what's right in front of them for this year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 12:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Harrison has nowhere near the personal foul history as Burfict and certainly not back through college. Also Harrison is essentially a pass rusher who doesn't get as many open field shots on people.

It's essentially apples to oranges.

well it is also apples to oranges, because in harrison prime he was not playing under these rules today.. trust me some hits he put on people back then would have gotten him fined and suspended today
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 03:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea, I understand, but I thought it was a little preemptive to try to get in replacements for both for 2-3 years down the road.
The Bengals also had Core and Boyd in the wings, plus there will be a draft every year, so replacements 2-3 years down the road can be picked in next year's draft or the year after.
WR can also be picked up in FA. And that's practically the same as getting just the final year out of a guy like Malone, which is likely what will happen.

It's becoming annoying how this team focuses years down the road when it comes at the expense of what's right in front of them for this year.

but again you are assuming at #9 pick there was a lineman they felt worth picking.. most teams even after them did not pick a lineman till middle to late first round
Reply/Quote
Is it just me or is this a record number of 1 round picks are out hurt, playing hurt or out for the year... just read Garrett is out now... just seems crazy this year
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 04:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: but again you are assuming at #9 pick there was a lineman they felt worth picking.. most teams even after them did not pick a lineman till middle to late first round

No I'm not...I was referring more to why bother with Malone and instead just take Ross.
IMO the Bengals only should have drafted 1 WR, not 2.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 04:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No I'm not...I was referring more to why bother with Malone and instead just take Ross.

ok, still the same argument.. they saw the value of Malone more than other positions , Lafell is one a 1 year contract I believe and more teams are going ot 3/4 WR sets.. teams are not going to three tackle or three guard sets etc.. so the need is higher now for WRs in depth than before 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 04:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ok, still the same argument.. they saw the value of Malone more than other positions , Lafell is one a 1 year contract I believe and more teams are going ot 3/4 WR sets.. teams are not going to three tackle or three guard sets etc.. so the need is higher now for WRs in depth than before 

Fine, let me say my point a different way...I disagree(d) that Malone was a better value to the immediate (or even near-term) success of the team vs taking a mid-round OL, especially when the team had a gaping hole at RG, two newbies at both OT spots that had underperformed the previous year, and one consistently bad performer at C.

Hopkins has been a pleasant surprise, but no one can honestly say they were confident in the RG position before they saw him play this preseason.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 04:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No I'm not...I was referring more to why bother with Malone and instead just take Ross.
IMO the Bengals only should have drafted 1 WR, not 2.

BPA.  And seeing the kid play, hard to argue.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: BPA.  And seeing the kid play, hard to argue.

Might have been. But you can't really say BPA without seeing the other players perform too.

Look, I'm not saying Malone was a bad pick. I like Malone. I just was surprised that the team didn't put more emphasis on short term need vs BPA that likely won't receive much playing time at all for at least two years.

What Malone pick might also show though is the Bengals' confidence in Core and/or Boyd that they felt they needed/wanted to get another WR after already selecting Ross.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 09:24 AM)Beaker Wrote: Is your sig supposed to look like batman just lit one of his farts?

No, I lit that backdrop with my own fart.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote