Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - John Ross out "a couple weeks"
(09-01-2017, 11:56 PM)Joelist Wrote: What I don't like is this is the fourth straight season our first round pick is not on the field on Opening Day by dint of injury. Also of our first rounders the record on injury is pretty brutal - Og, Jackson, Dennard, Smith, Pollack and so on. We seem to be snakebitten in actually getting our first rounders on the field their rookie season.

Out of the last 6 drafts we had only 1 1st round pick play the first regular season game. It happens to be one of our most injury prone players, Eifert. That's part of the problem with this team. Guys are going to come and go via FA, trades, injuries. But a team that prides itself on building threw the draft as had some pretty bad luck and decisions. I know every player drafted high isn't going to be a great player or even a starter but it's getting to the point we're the guys we're bringing in are not filling the shoes very well of the players leaving. Or being brought up to speed fast enough. Is it coaching, just bad luck. Who knows but I think that's a big reason we are seeing a drop off talent wise.
Reply/Quote
Disappointing news. I can't say I'm too surprised. We always mishandle first round talent. Why he was on the field, when Dalton wasn't, is just complete misjudgment. I don't get it.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Most likely a precaution. Doubt he would have seen significant playing time either way. maybe 2-3 end arounds and a bomb or two each game. No need to rush him in there given our starters. Let him play without much game film when we meet the Steelers. Whoa, am I not being a douche?

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 12:55 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Most likely a precaution. Doubt he would have seen significant playing time either way. maybe 2-3 end arounds and a bomb or two each game. No need to rush him in there given our starters. Let him play without much game film when we meet the Steelers. Whoa, am I not being a douche?

True, maybe this is just the team trying to hold off the mob to get the kid up to speed. I actually hope thats the case instead of a serious injury thats being down played.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 02:21 AM)TKUHL Wrote: True, maybe this is just the team trying to hold off the mob to get the kid up to speed. I actually hope thats the case instead of a serious injury thats being down played.

History shows the later.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hobson just posted on twitter re: John Ross injury....
https://twitter.com/GeoffHobsonCin/status/903653437186777088

This is why i hate the preseason.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 05:12 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This is why i hate the preseason.

I officially hate it after this year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 06:42 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I officially hate it after this year.  

The only way I see it getting changed is if a few of the NFL's 'faces' get injured for the year. Rodgers. Brady. Go down for the year, it'll be changed.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 08:12 PM)Derrick Wrote: As I said somewhere else, IMO the Bengals drafted Ross for his WOW factor to distract fans from their disgusting decision to let Whitworth walk in FA. Any doubters, raise your right hand. No, your other right hand.

My early vote for "Dumbest Post of the Year".

Ross can change the way a defense defends the Bengals be merely being on the field.  He doesn't have to be targeted or actually get the jet sweep because just running full speed through the backfield gives the LBs just enough pause and shift to help the RB.  He is exactly what the Bengals needed on offense to take advantage of AJ Green being on the other side of the field.

Oh, and the fact that he has such great get-off and separation right away helps minimize the impact of a less-than-stellar offensive line.  Part of Dalton's 41 sacks last year was in part to him having to wait for LaFell to get open.  This team had no one other than AJ Green that could generate separation last year, and then he went down with an injury.  Cody Core flashed briefly and helped, but he doesn't have the phone-booth quicks of Ross.

The decision to let Whit go, instead of trying to match a ridiculous three-year deal that the Rams will never honor was commons sense.  He will be 36 this year and you know what they say about father time. 

Ross is going to make a lot of people eat a lot of crow and you won't have to wait until next year to do it.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It's the same reasoning on why Lawson dropped to the 4th, as opposed to a fringe first, too many injuries. The ONLY reason Ross was picked that high was because of his 40-time. Everything else about him is a lower quality prospect. If he had run a 4.40 probably would have bend a late first/early second.

This is absolute bullshit.  He is very skilled.  He was the most polished receiver in the draft.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 03:45 PM)McC Wrote: This is absolute bullshit.  He is very skilled.  He was the most polished receiver in the draft.

He was polished...but I don't know about the most polished.

Without his 40 time he would have likely been a late 1st Round or 2nd Round pick.

The 40 time definitely played a part in him going Top 10. There's nothing wrong with that either. Teams draft for speed all the time.

But, Ross is a fast guy who can catch the ball. A lot of speed guys can't.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 02:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals actual doc:
[Image: Papa-Shango-voodoo-wrestler.jpg]

I was actually thinking it was this guy...

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 09:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He was polished...but I don't know about the most polished.

Without his 40 time he would have likely been a late 1st Round or 2nd Round pick.

The 40 time definitely played a part in him going Top 10. There's nothing wrong with that either. Teams draft for speed all the time.

But, Ross is a fast guy who can catch the ball. A lot of speed guys can't.

I don't think he is wrong. Early comparisons were to him being a more natural, more talented Brandin Cooks. I can't complain about that. 

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 05:20 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Trust me, there are those select special few on here that would like to see Ross get hurt. Those same few want Dalton to get hurt so McCarron can start. They're on here. As soon as the ineptness that is the Bengals medical staff screws this up, they'll come out of the woodwork with the I told you sos.

If so, they have mental issues and aren't real fans.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 03:37 AM)jeremydc Wrote: History shows the later.

I think the Bengal's idea of a "couple" weeks is anywhere from 2 to 10.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 05:33 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think the Bengal's idea of a "couple" weeks is anywhere from 2 to 10.

This, rarely have i ever seen a couple weeks actually go 2 or 3, when they say a "couple weeks". My guess is we'll seen Ross in Week 4 or 5.

That being said, i dont think we need Ross or Burfict to beat Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 02:36 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I don't think he is wrong. Early comparisons were to him being a more natural, more talented Brandin Cooks. I can't complain about that. 

Is your sig supposed to look like batman just lit one of his farts?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 08:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This, rarely have i ever seen a couple weeks actually go 2 or 3, when they say a "couple weeks". My guess is we'll seen Ross in Week 4 or 5.

I guess I am the optimist, but a few weeks from when he was injured puts him ready for game number 2 or 3 maximum.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 08:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This, rarely have i ever seen a couple weeks actually go 2 or 3, when they say a "couple weeks". My guess is we'll seen Ross in Week 4 or 5.

No Burfict or Jones.  I do think we might lose to Balt.  
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 06:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: No Burfict or Jones.  I do think we might lose to Balt.  

Nah i still think we beat them. They dont even know if Flacco is going to play Week 1.
Reply/Quote