Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - John Ross out "a couple weeks"
(09-01-2017, 04:31 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It's the same reasoning on why Lawson dropped to the 4th, as opposed to a fringe first, too many injuries. The ONLY reason Ross was picked that high was because of his 40-time. Everything else about him is a lower quality prospect. If he had run a 4.40 probably would have bend a late first/early second.

That's not true. He's great out of the break, adjusts to the ball very well and has good hands. And he has plus speed. 

The only question is if his body is tough enough to take hits in the NFL. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 08:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ross = 5'11" 188lbs
Green = 6'3" 210

If Ross was 5 inches taller and 22lbs heavier, I wouldn't call him slight. Also, it's not just about height/weight when referring to slight builds, it's also joint size, hip width, where you carry muscle.

I should probably add I like Ross and I'm happy he's a Bengal. I'm just concerned he's going to be injury prone and we wasted a top 10 pick (those don't come around too often anymore)

Green is actually 6'4" Yo.

Also you have to carry weight the way you are built and Ross carries it better than anyone.

Slight is saying he is skinny and weak. He is not that at all.

I just find it very early to be concerned we "wasted" a top 10 pick.

For all we know this guy could become a Superstar and those don't come around too often anymore.

(09-01-2017, 08:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sadly, every time he opens it up, he seems to come out of it a bit gimpy. Nothing serious before the sprain, but he def doesn't look comfortable. I'm not hoping or looking for injuries cause i'd love for him to be healthy and on the field...but i just don't know and it didn't look promising to me whenever i saw him. 

Pretty obvious he just wasn't 100%.

I hope before he comes back they make sure this time, be sad to waste his skills and the pick as Yo here says.

Love John Ross man, he is everything you want in a player on your team. Class and skills galore.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 07:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And he injured himself running the 40 and skipped the rest of the combine.

I think the best playmaker in the draft title would go to McCaffrey.

That's definitely a concern. Seems like every time he runs hard, he comes out of it a bit lame. Even if it's not a notable limp, he doesn't look comfortable.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 08:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ross = 5'11" 188lbs
Green = 6'3" 210

If Ross was 5 inches taller and 22lbs heavier, I wouldn't call him slight. Also, it's not just about height/weight when referring to slight builds, it's also joint size, hip width, where you carry muscle.

I should probably add I like Ross and I'm happy he's a Bengal. I'm just concerned he's going to be injury prone and we wasted a top 10 pick (those don't come around too often anymore)

Ross is at the high end of the scale for Height to Weight ratio. AJ Green is in the middle for his height.

Reply/Quote
He sprained a knee and said it was fine, hope he is telling the truth cause i can't trust Hobspin.

I think most all of us agree on this one.

Just Imagine how much pressure this kid is under, feeling like he's letting a whole city and fan base down. He seems like a great guy, good personality. I hope he's not feeling that way but damn that would be horrible. Im sure he hears whispers maybe even reads this forum. I hope he's telling the truth to, but I would understand it if he's trying to downplay the extent of the Injury.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:35 PM)TKUHL Wrote: He sprained a knee and said it was fine, hope he is telling the truth cause i can't trust Hobspin.

I think most all of us agree on this one.

Just Imagine how much pressure this kid is under, feeling like he's letting a whole city and fan base down. He seems like a great guy, good personality. I hope he's not feeling that way but damn that would be horrible. Im sure he hears whispers maybe even reads this forum. I hope he's telling the truth to, but I would understand it if he's trying to downplay the extent of the Injury.

I doubt he is reading what people are saying, he has said something like he tries to stay away from the social media stuff and such.

He just needs to concentrate on his own. He should be a great addition once he gets where he needs to be.

That is all he needs to be thinking about and i am sure that he is. Just an awesome person John Ross is.

I would understand but a sprained knee is something that is VERY hard to hide when it happens. Looks minor, sounds minor.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 07:02 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I get what your saying, People think he's just another fast receiver and underestimate his skills thinking he was only drafted because of his speed. The point I was making in the last post was about the other poster saying he would be a late first/early 2nd rd pick if he was slower. Thats still a pretty good spot to be picked. But if he was a "slower" player would that production in college even be there. Who knows, probably not. But I think his injury history with his knees is a valid concern for those against the pick. Combine that with his size ( which is not small, but not ideal) and its a very risky pick. His speed is his strength. I was hoping we would go with a different position but it is what it is now. I definitely dont want him to get hurt. If he can stay healthy he can be something special.

Lol Im a little bias when it comes to Henry. I really thought that guy had Randy Moss like potential. Wish he would have kept his head on straight. RIP Slim.

I got you. I understand the injuries being a concern. Honestly, who knows. He was the pick I wanted, so I'm probably a little too biased in my thoughts on him. lol

Don't get me wrong, I liked Henry. He was a troubled young man. I kept hoping he would get it together. I wanted him to be Randy Moss. lol  I'm really not trying to hate on the guy. I just feel his potential gets overblown at times compared to his production. If he could've stayed on the field, he probably would've been special.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones missed 21 games in his 1st 3 years and people talked like he was the 2nd coming of Jerry. Ross tweaks his knee, out 2 weeks and people say he's a total bust.

Honestly, it all comes down to how much people like a player. Ross will have to do WAY more than Marvin Jones or say...Cody Core (fan favorites) to win certain people over. It's a lot like what Dalton has gone through. Different (higher) standards because people don't want to like the pick.

Btw, to put Marvin Jones' injuries in perspective, Eifert missed 19 games his first 3 seasons. 2 less games missed than Jones.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 07:00 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: But he was suspended/hurt a lot of that time.  

I get it, but that was part of the problem. He couldn't stay on the field. I think Henry had a ton of potential. I think he could've been special if he could've stayed on the field. I felt bad for the kid and kept hoping he'd be able to pull it all together. He gets talked about like he was a top level receiver though. Maybe he could've been. But because he couldn't stay on the field, he didn't produce or put up the numbers for how he's talked about. I'm not saying people should think poorly of the kid. I'm just saying you'd think he put up Randy Moss type numbers for how people talk about him.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:11 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I get it, but that was part of the problem. He couldn't stay on the field. I think Henry had a ton of potential. I think he could've been special if he could've stayed on the field. I felt bad for the kid and kept hoping he'd be able to pull it all together. He gets talked about like he was a top level receiver though. Maybe he could've been. But because he couldn't stay on the field, he didn't produce or put up the numbers for how he's talked about. I'm not saying people should think poorly of the kid. I'm just saying you'd think he put up Randy Moss type numbers for how people talk about him.

Yes, his was a very sad story.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:05 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I got you. I understand the injuries being a concern. Honestly, who knows. He was the pick I wanted, so I'm probably a little too biased in my thoughts on him. lol

Don't get me wrong, I liked Henry. He was a troubled young man. I kept hoping he would get it together. I wanted him to be Randy Moss. lol  I'm really not trying to hate on the guy. I just feel his potential gets overblown at times compared to his production. If he could've stayed on the field, he probably would've been special.

Between Henry and Thurman, Grrr....So frustrating. If they stayed out of trouble, drugs, Alcohol etc and stayed focused on football, man it could have been something really special. I think both of them could have been in the top 5 in the league at their positions and on the same team with some other very good players we had. We could be talking about SB wins right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Marvin Jones missed 21 games in his 1st 3 years and people talked like he was the 2nd coming of Jerry. Ross tweaks his knee, out 2 weeks and people say he's a total bust.

Honestly, it all comes down to how much people like a player. Ross will have to do WAY more than Marvin Jones or say...Cody Core (fan favorites) to win certain people over. It's a lot like what Dalton has gone through. Different (higher) standards because people don't want to like the pick.

Btw, to put Marvin Jones' injuries in perspective, Eifert missed 19 games his first 3 seasons. 2 less games missed than Eifert.

Jones was a fifth round pick. Most fans weren't expecting him to be good right out of the gate like a first rounder, so you don't really "notice" the missed games.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:40 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Between Henry and Thurman, Grrr....So frustrating. If they stayed out of trouble, drugs, Alcohol etc and stayed focused on football, man it could have been something really special. I think both of them could have been in the top 5 in the league at their positions and on the same team with some other very good players we had. We could be talking about SB wins right now.

Didn't Pollack getting hurt happen around then too?  So many What Ifs.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:40 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Between Henry and Thurman, Grrr....So frustrating. If they stayed out of trouble, drugs, Alcohol etc and stayed focused on football, man it could have been something really special. I think both of them could have been in the top 5 in the league at their positions and on the same team with some other very good players we had. We could be talking about SB wins right now.

I almost brought up Thurman in my response to you. Haha

Both had the gifts, but both had issues.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:43 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Didn't Pollack getting hurt happen around then too?  So many What Ifs.

True that. I liked Pollack too. If those 3 had stayed healthy/out of trouble, that would've definitely changed some things.
Reply/Quote
Yea, the crazy thing is they were all from the same draft class in 05. Pollack 1st round, Thurman 2nd round, Henry 3rd. Pretty crazy when you think about it.
Reply/Quote
2005 looked to be a good year for the Bengals but looking back on it now, it was one of the most heartbreaking. A lot of could have been that year between the players drafted and Palmers knee INTENTIONALLY taken out by Pitt.
Reply/Quote
Also in another creepy coincidence they each sadly left the league in the same order. Pollack Injured in his 2nd game against the Browns, Thurman played his last game as a Bengal I believe in 06, and unfortunately we lost Henry in 09.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Jones was a fifth round pick. Most fans weren't expecting him to be good right out of the gate like a first rounder, so you don't really "notice" the missed games.

That may play into it, but I think most would admit that it isn't exactly fair. Either a player is good or he is not. Same with being injury prone. Tbh, I don't think where he was drafted plays into it all that much. At least not in the way you're suggesting. I do think a lot of people wanted a different player with the 9th pick, and when their player/position wasn't selected, they instantly looked for reasons to bash Ross.

Whether or not you like Ross, I think it's a bit early to judge (understatement). The double standards are also frustrating. Give the kid some time. He could turn out like Eifert...then I'd admit he's proven fragile. At this point it's just over eager folks wanting to talk about how right they were. It kinda looks silly to go there already, although as another said, I have one eyebrow up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
What I don't like is this is the fourth straight season our first round pick is not on the field on Opening Day by dint of injury. Also of our first rounders the record on injury is pretty brutal - Og, Jackson, Dennard, Smith, Pollack and so on. We seem to be snakebitten in actually getting our first rounders on the field their rookie season.
Reply/Quote