Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - John Ross out "a couple weeks"
I did not like the Ross pick because I thought we had bigger needs than WR and nobody had really mentioned Ross going early in the 1st round until he ran that 40. WTS, I hope he makes folks say Antonio who?

As to folks being "happy" he's hurt; I doubt that is true. Human nature compels them to feel vindicated in their convictions so they will crow about it; same as those that were pulling for Ross will ignore/dismiss the current state of affairs.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How is Oj Howard doing in Tampa?

Also, lay off Henry. The guy passed before his true potential was realized.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 06:36 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: How is Oj Howard doing in Tampa?

Also, lay off Henry. The guy passed before his true potential was realized.

He played 5 seasons. He wasn't the stud or superstar he gets made out to be.
Reply/Quote
PUP, watch.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 06:54 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: PUP, watch.

Yeah we can never trust initial Bengal reports on injuries.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 06:41 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: He played 5 seasons. He wasn't the stud or superstar he gets made out to be.

But he was suspended/hurt a lot of that time.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 06:00 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I guess. So much was made about his speed that I think that blinds people to his actual value and ability. This is strictly my opinion, but based off of production and play, he was the best receiver in the Draft. Good, not great size, plus hands, plus catch radius, plus route runner, plus playmaker, plus red zone target, the list goes on and on. He's a complete WR, but people strictly focus on his speed because that's all the media talked about. I think people are severely overlooking his talent by saying the only reason he went so early was his speed. He is so much more than just a speedster.

I've never seen a Bengals player as overrated as Chris Henry. Besides 2006, his numbers are exceptionally pedestrian. Even 2006 wasn't a big year. Henry was a 1 trick pony.

I get what your saying, People think he's just another fast receiver and underestimate his skills thinking he was only drafted because of his speed. The point I was making in the last post was about the other poster saying he would be a late first/early 2nd rd pick if he was slower. Thats still a pretty good spot to be picked. But if he was a "slower" player would that production in college even be there. Who knows, probably not. But I think his injury history with his knees is a valid concern for those against the pick. Combine that with his size ( which is not small, but not ideal) and its a very risky pick. His speed is his strength. I was hoping we would go with a different position but it is what it is now. I definitely dont want him to get hurt. If he can stay healthy he can be something special.

Lol Im a little bias when it comes to Henry. I really thought that guy had Randy Moss like potential. Wish he would have kept his head on straight. RIP Slim.
Reply/Quote
I dont like how they say after initial exam it looks like no big deal.

Are they saying there will be follow up exams?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 07:00 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: But he was suspended/hurt a lot of that time.  

Not to mention third onn the depth chart behind two pretty good WRs Chad and TJ.

Henry was very good at what the Bengals asked him to do...he was just slightly drunk and a lil crazy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 05:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think so too. If anything the forty time took away the truth of his value. That is all some know about him.

Ah, he is just a fast guy.

No, the guy is a complete WR that runs nearly every route and can line up at any position.

You are right about Henry being overrated by some on here. He was great at the go route because he was fast and tall
but he was not a complete receiver by any means. They have the same number and they scored a lot of TD's per catch,
but that is about where the similarities end and Ross begins to run away.

Plus Ross is a class act and i want him to succeed. Good man.

My post did not say he was a speed only guy. My post was about ignoring his flaws (injuries, size) due to his 40. Take that record speed out and put in just really good speed and he would not have been drafted in the same range as elite WRs like AJ and Julio are drafted. Not because he can't catch or run routes, but because he hasn't been able to stay healthy, probably because of his slight build.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Come on man, he was the best playmaker in the draft, the best redzone threat, had the most extensive
route tree, has great hands and scored a TD 1 out of every 5 times he touched the ball. It wasn't just his
forty time. Sure, had a lot to do with it but everyone knew he was extremely fast before he ran that forty
on his so called bum knees.

And he injured himself running the 40 and skipped the rest of the combine.

I think the best playmaker in the draft title would go to McCaffrey.
Reply/Quote
The people who like the pick are saying haters are ignoring his skills. But those against are saying the people who like the pick because of the speed he brings are ignoring his past injuries. This argument will literally go on till he proves to be a pro bowler or a complete bust. As of now it seems those against are winning the argument.
Reply/Quote
It would be a nice change of pace for our first rounder to contribute for a change. Who was the last guy? ... Eifert?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 02:37 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think we will ever be able to rely on Ross. We all knew it was a suspect pick to begin with. He's the 5th best receiver taken 9th overall. For a team trying to get over the hump, that isn't how it works. Now he can't handle an end around without getting hurt. I think whatever he provides we have to take, but Mixon is our top pick in this draft class.

As I said somewhere else, IMO the Bengals drafted Ross for his WOW factor to distract fans from their disgusting decision to let Whitworth walk in FA. Any doubters, raise your right hand. No, your other right hand.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 07:14 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: My post did not say he was a speed only guy. My post was about ignoring his flaws (injuries, size) due to his 40. Take that record speed out and put in just really good speed and he would not have been drafted in the same range as elite WRs like AJ and Julio are drafted. Not because he can't catch or run routes, but because he hasn't been able to stay healthy, probably because of his slight build.

I won't lie and say that didn't raise my eyebrows when he ran that forty. Of course it did and made me take a long hard
look at the guy and as impressed as i was by his forty it paled in comparison to what i saw John Ross do on the field.

He does not have a slight build either. Don't get where the hell this comes from, if Ross has a slight build AJ Green has a
much slighter build.

Ross is built.

(09-01-2017, 07:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: And he injured himself running the 40 and skipped the rest of the combine.

I think the best playmaker in the draft title would go to McCaffrey.

Pulled a hammy, happens all the time.

What is more impressive is he ran that forty and it happened while he was running it and still it was that fast.

McCaffrey is a playmaker i agree. But so is Mixon and Ross. I would rather have these two than just McCaffrey.

(09-01-2017, 07:32 PM)TKUHL Wrote: The people who like the pick are saying haters are ignoring his skills. But those against are saying the people who like the pick because of the speed he brings are ignoring his past injuries. This argument will literally go on till he proves to be a pro bowler or a complete bust. As of now it seems those against are winning the argument.

True enough, until he gets on the field and proves it we are arguing over his college tape and a few Preseason Jet sweeps
and one good catch. To act like he has been invisible to me and acting like all first rounders blow your mind in Preseason is
down right crazy though. I was concerned with the shoulder before this injury, not the knees.

But maybe i was wrong. He sprained a knee and said it was fine, hope he is telling the truth cause i can't trust Hobspin.

I think most all of us agree on this one.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 08:12 PM)Derrick Wrote: As I said somewhere else, IMO the Bengals drafted Ross for his WOW factor to distract fans from their disgusting decision to let Whitworth walk in FA. Any doubters, raise your right hand. No, your other right hand.

They were very interested in Corey Coleman the year before.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 08:17 PM)Synric Wrote: They were very interested in Corey Coleman the year before.

And Fuller.
Reply/Quote
Optimist- He has great speed, talent, route running ability
Pessimist- I don't care how fast he is, Injury prone and small
Realist- High Risk High Reward, Potential to be good but off to a bad start.

I think we can all just agree to be realist and see where it goes from here. I wish him the best of luck and look forward to seeing him on the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 08:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I won't lie and say that didn't raise my eyebrows when he ran that forty. Of course it did and made me take a long hard
look at the guy and as impressed as i was by his forty it paled in comparison to what i saw John Ross do on the field.

He does not have a slight build either. Don't get where the hell this comes from, if Ross has a slight build AJ Green has a
much slighter build.

Ross is built.

Pulled a hammy, happens all the time.

What is more impressive is he ran that forty and it happened while he was running it and still it was that fast.

McCaffrey is a playmaker i agree. But so is Mixon and Ross. I would rather have these two than just McCaffrey.

True enough, until he gets on the field and proves it we are arguing over his college tape and a few Preseason Jet sweeps
and one good catch. To act like he has been invisible to me and acting like all first rounders blow your mind in Preseason is
down right crazy though. I was concerned with the shoulder before this injury, not the knees.

But maybe i was wrong. He sprained a knee and said it was fine, hope he is telling the truth cause i can't trust Hobspin.

I think most all of us agree on this one.

Ross = 5'11" 188lbs
Green = 6'3" 210

If Ross was 5 inches taller and 22lbs heavier, I wouldn't call him slight. Also, it's not just about height/weight when referring to slight builds, it's also joint size, hip width, where you carry muscle.

I should probably add I like Ross and I'm happy he's a Bengal. I'm just concerned he's going to be injury prone and we wasted a top 10 pick (those don't come around too often anymore)
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sprained knees suck but if Ross was saying it was fine it must of been minor.

Just happy it wasn't anything really serious.

It sucks that he got injured though, not only cause i want to see the guy out there but i want him to shut all the haters up.

Now we have to listen to them for a couple more weeks. Sick

Sadly, every time he opens it up, he seems to come out of it a bit gimpy. Nothing serious before the sprain, but he def doesn't look comfortable. I'm not hoping or looking for injuries cause i'd love for him to be healthy and on the field...but i just don't know and it didn't look promising to me whenever i saw him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote