Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - John Ross out "a couple weeks"
(09-04-2017, 05:33 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think the Bengal's idea of a "couple" weeks is anywhere from 2 to 10.

(09-04-2017, 08:44 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This, rarely have i ever seen a couple weeks actually go 2 or 3, when they say a "couple weeks". My guess is we'll seen Ross in Week 4 or 5.

That being said, i dont think we need Ross or Burfict to beat Baltimore.

Yeah, pretty much. Let me bring this recent tidbit of history up:

"Could be out a few days" was followed one day later by:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724926-bengals-george-iloka-out-3-4-weeks-after-suffering-knee-injury-during-drills

Which has been followed by him missing the entire preseason, and his availability for Week 1 being in question. "A couple days" turning into "a couple weeks" turning into well over a month is pretty much par for the course with the Bengals.

A few days ----> 3-4 weeks ----> Not sure if he'll be ready 42 days after the injury.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 07:42 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, pretty much. Let me bring this recent tidbit of history up:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724926-bengals-george-iloka-out-3-4-weeks-after-suffering-knee-injury-during-drills

Which has been followed by him missing the entire preseason, and his availability for Week 1 being in question. "A couple days" turning into "a couple weeks" turning into well over a month is pretty much par for the course with the Bengals.

A few days ----> 3-4 weeks ----> Not sure if he'll be ready 42 days after the injury.

Yea ive pretty much conditioned myself to not believe anything the team says when it comes to injury timetables.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 07:42 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, pretty much. Let me bring this recent tidbit of history up:

Yeah, can't trust a damn thing Hobspin says no doubt.

Just wanting to believe Ross on this one when he said he was fine.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 06:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: No Burfict or Jones.  I do think we might lose to Balt.  

Come on Bonnie, i would be really surprised if we lose to the Ravens week 1.

Our pass rush against that banged up O-line don't look good for them.

Not like Adam has been great or anything either. I am confident in WJ3 and Kirkpatrick in this game, not to mention Shaw.

We need to see with Dennard but he wasn't bad this Preseason...

Just need to stop the run and get them in 3rd and longs and feast.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 09:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He was polished...but I don't know about the most polished.

Without his 40 time he would have likely been a late 1st Round or 2nd Round pick.

The 40 time definitely played a part in him going Top 10. There's nothing wrong with that either. Teams draft for speed all the time.

But, Ross is a fast guy who can catch the ball. A lot of speed guys can't.

Who was more polished?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 03:43 PM)McC Wrote: Who was more polished?

No one, Mike Williams is good at going up for the ball but he is a bit slow coming in and out of his routes.

Corey Davis was from a smaller school and we don't know how he will fair against the CB's in the NFL.

Quite a leap.

All these guys are injured but i would take Ross over these guys any day of the week. Bet he has the best NFL career.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Come on Bonnie, i would be really surprised if we lose to the Ravens week 1.

Our pass rush against that banged up O-line don't look good for them.

Not like Adam has been great or anything either. I am confident in WJ3 and Kirkpatrick in this game, not to mention Shaw.

We need to see with Dennard but he wasn't bad this Preseason...

Just need to stop the run and get them in 3rd and longs and feast.

You're right.  I may be a little negative.  That Burfict suspension really ticked me off.  Not worried about the Ross injury because he was a unknown quantity at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ive learned to translate what hopnob says. So a few days is actually 1 or 2 seasons. Ross will be ready by 2019 no doubt. Him and Green will be unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 04:57 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: You're right.  I may be a little negative.  That Burfict suspension really ticked me off.  Not worried about the Ross injury because he was a unknown quantity at this point.

The Burfict suspension is complete bull i understand that but we are 15-7 last i checked when Burfict has been out.

Vinny Rey does a good job filling in for him. We always match up well with the Ravens and they are more beat up than usual.

And we are at home.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 06:58 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Ive learned to translate what hopnob says.  So a few days is actually 1 or 2 seasons.   Ross will be ready by 2019 no doubt.   Him and Green will be unstoppable.

You're aware that the title of Hobson's Choice comes from the old British tale of take it or leave it, right? 
Any writer working for any NFL team who was super critical of the team would very likely be unemployed rather quickly. His job really is to do little more than hype everything to sell tickets..
Personally I like reading Hobson's style..I don't have to agree with any of it and some is downright pandering, but it's easy to read as opposed to some writers who can't get you through the first paragraph without you skipping on to some other writer..
Think of Hobson as a toothpick salesman. Toothpicks never existed until some great salesman convinced enough people they needed toothpicks even when nobody ever needed them.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:19 PM)grampahol Wrote: You're aware that the title of Hobson's Choice comes from the old British tale of take it or leave it, right? 
Any writer working for any NFL team who was super critical of the team would very likely be unemployed rather quickly. His job really is to do little more than hype everything to sell tickets..
Personally I like reading Hobson's style..I don't have to agree with any of it and some is downright pandering, but it's easy to read as opposed to some writers who can't get you through the first paragraph without you skipping on to some other writer..
Think of Hobson as a toothpick salesman. Toothpicks never existed until some great salesman convinced enough people they needed toothpicks even when nobody ever needed them.. 

Except no one believes what Hobson is trying to sell them anymore.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 04:57 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: You're right.  I may be a little negative.  That Burfict suspension really ticked me off.  Not worried about the Ross injury because he was a unknown quantity at this point.

Does the Burfict suspension suck? It absolutely does.

But Burfict has a history of personal fouls clear back through his college days. He's earned his reputation for the most part.

I look for him to be out of the league at some point in the near future. He'll be getting season long suspensions soon. Just watch.

Next hit he does will be half a season.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 06:53 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: No Burfict or Jones.  I do think we might lose to Balt.  

That is a great point, especially when you consider that neither starting Safety will be on the field.  Then, you add in the fact that Minter and Sims haven't really gelled into their starting roles yet..

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but there are a lot more variables than constants going on the field for that defense Sunday.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yeah...I do think we could win 1 of our 1st 3 games, but 0-3 is a possibility. 1-2 is what I think we'll start. I can't see us starting 3-0 no matter how optimistic I am.

I also think the Browns could beat us and probably do beat us once this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 12:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Does the Burfict suspension suck? It absolutely does.

But Burfict has a history of personal fouls clear back through his college days. He's earned his reputation for the most part.

I look for him to be out of the league at some point in the near future. He'll be getting season long suspensions soon. Just watch.

Next hit he does will be half a season.

This is the biggest reason he went undrafted. He lacks discipline.
We hoped Marvin Lewis would have been able to harness his aggressiveness to cut down on his on-field antics, but he hasn't for one reason or another.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is the biggest reason he went undrafted. He lacks discipline.
We hoped Marvin Lewis would have been able to harness his aggressiveness to cut down on his on-field antics, but he hasn't for one reason or another.

Exactly!

And I read a scouting profile from college about how he led with his helmet when tackling. That hasn't been corrected in the Pro's leading to concussions.

While Burfict is great when he plays...he can't be relied on. The hit on Brown in the playoffs partially costed us that game. (It was a meltdown of epic proportions with the Hill fumble, the Burfict Personal Foul, and the Jones Personal Foul.)
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is the biggest reason he went undrafted. He lacks discipline.

How so? He had one personal foul last year and was much cleaner than years past. And he's not been in any trouble outside the stadium either. he's getting better, but he's an aggressive football player and it scares the "lets make football into two-hand touch" people to death. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly!

And I read a scouting profile from college about how he led with his helmet when tackling. That hasn't been corrected in the Pro's leading to concussions.

While Burfict is great when he plays...he can't be relied on. The hit on Brown in the playoffs partially costed us that game. (It was a meltdown of epic proportions with the Hill fumble, the Burfict Personal Foul, and the Jones Personal Foul.)

The Bengals are far worse on D without Tez. Without question he's our most important player on that side of the ball. Love Geno, but people play hard and follow Tez. His plays demands that. And I love that on my football team.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:44 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: How so? He had one personal foul last year and was much cleaner than years past. And he's not been in any trouble outside the stadium either. he's getting better, but he's an aggressive football player and it scares the "lets make football into two-hand touch" people to death. 

Fair point to bring up about last year. I was referring to his career as a whole. And clearly it doesn't matter now if he's actually flagged, he'll still draw suspensions for his hits, which IMO are worse than a 15-yard penalty here and there.

Vontaze is entering his 6th season. It's sad it's taken him so long to (possibly) start harnessing his aggressiveness. That should have been handled in his first couple years.

And to your last point, some fans (especially the old schoolers) may not like this move from physical football to what seems like the complete opposite end of the spectrum in the name of safety, but that's the way the NFL has been trending for quite a few years now. Players (and fans) will need to adapt or get out. The NFL won't revert back to what it used to be.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 01:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair point to bring up about last year. I was referring to his career as a whole. And clearly it doesn't matter now if he's actually flagged, he'll still draw suspensions for his hits, which IMO are worse than a 15-yard penalty here and there.

Vontaze is entering his 6th season. It's sad it's taken him so long to (possibly) start harnessing his aggressiveness. That should have been handled in his first couple years.

And to your last point, some fans (especially the old schoolers) may not like this move from physical football to what seems like the complete opposite end of the spectrum in the name of safety, but that's the way the NFL has been trending for quite a few years now. Players (and fans) will need to adapt or get out. The NFL won't revert back to what it used to be.

You're right, I agree, he's earned the label of being a dirty player, and also wondered why it took him so long to fix some of those issues. But he's an impact player/tone setter and you pretty much have to have those on your team. And like I said, if he gets better at it, it shows me he does truly care about what's best for him and the team. 

The safety thing is something I agree with but the way they go about it is laughable. They have zero consistency for said rules and they don't enforce them on every player. So I am jaded with them enforcing player safety, but only when it fits their special, ever changing criteria. 
Reply/Quote