Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson reports Tate will be cut so they can keep Core.
(09-05-2018, 07:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why are you working me so hard Fred? We have shared interest. I'm a huge huge huge Josh Malone fan. Loved him since PS last year. He's more polished and has production with his talents. I like him over Tate 8 days a week. I just think Tate has a lot of upside, as long as he's willing to work.

Can't we just be friends?

I thought you were joking and being sarcastic.  So I was just playing along.

You really don't think special teams are "silly" do you?
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought you were joking and being sarcastic.  So I was just playing along.

You really don't think special teams are "silly" do you?

No. Special teams are not silly. I just feel a discussion about Core over Tate because of special teams is silly. 

Strictly because Tate has, and has shown, more talent and you can find other people to play special teams if Tate can't. Sixth/Seventh WR playing STs may be the norm, but it's not written in stone and i'm not going to throw away every down talent (in general, not specifically Tate) for a gunner.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 08:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No. Special teams are not silly. I just feel a discussion about Core over Tate because of special teams is silly. 

Strictly because Tate has, and has shown, more talent and you can find other people to play special teams if Tate can't. Sixth/Seventh WR playing STs may be the norm, but it's not written in stone and i'm not going to throw away every down talent (in general, not specifically Tate) for a gunner.

Didn't we just draft a few Mid to late round speedy CB"s that can run down the field?
And we got that speedy kid back from last year as well.

I don't know why it's such a big deal to have Core here for his ST talent. We have plenty of other guys that can fill his job.
What Core needs to do is run a route and catch the damn ball. Something that Tate has shown he can do even if it doesn't get as much separation. Tate doesn't need to beat out the top CB's of the opposing team, he needs to be able to beat out the #3/4 best, which he's shown he can. I like Tate, was a big fan of the Pick. He needs to develop some, but he has the potential to be a good Possession WR at this level. Need a Hail Mary Jumper? Send him in.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 08:14 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Didn't we just draft a few Mid to late round speedy CB"s that can run down the field?
And we got that speedy kid back from last year as well.

I don't know why it's such a big deal to have Core here for his ST talent. We have plenty of other guys that can fill his job.
What Core needs to do is run a route and catch the damn ball. Something that Tate has shown he can do even if it doesn't get as much separation. Tate doesn't need to beat out the top CB's of the opposing team, he needs to be able to beat out the #3/4 best, which he's shown he can. I like Tate, was a big fan of the Pick. He needs to develop some, but he has the potential to be a good Possession WR at this level. Need a Hail Mary Jumper? Send him in.

Yessir. The argument from the other side is that, the bottom of the WR corp plays special teams. I'm not arguing with anyone about that. I'm arguing that it's silly to drop a more talented WR to keep a lesser talented one just because he covers kicks. STs won't be cancelled because the #6 WR can't do it. Plenty of other guys on the roster that can run down the field.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 10:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We can put some FA notables in there as well, such as (off the top o' my head)

Rashaun "so tall he will give opposing DC's nightmares" Simonise 
Armon "I pretend to be Larry Fitzgerald in practice" Binns
Matt Jones
Denarius "gonna take the top off for AJ Green" Moore

I'm sure there are more.  Anyways, every year we convince ourselves that our bench is more talented than most NFL teams starting WR corps.  Is Auden Tate the one?  If he is, then we need to jettison the prior "could be a gem" in Cody Core to find out.   

2 years ago I was skeptical Cody Core was going to be a big player in our offense, but I was told that he was overshadowed by Laquon Treadwell and the Bengals got a steal.  Now here we are hoping he gets cut so the next 7th round gem can shine.  Circle of life, and all that.

Lol, yup...and now I have the Lion King song stuck in my head. Thanks. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 07:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. Just as soon as the LOA gives us that elusive playoff win.

Marvin is what, 8-32 in primetime games? Say he gets 32 cracks at playoff games and he'll likely win about 8 of them, right?.... Maybe??  Nervous
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 08:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No. Special teams are not silly. I just feel a discussion about Core over Tate because of special teams is silly. 

Tate has not shown more talent.  He has not shown enough talent to be active on game days if he does not play special teams.

Tate has gotten more love for doing less than any Bengal player I can remember in recent history.
Reply/Quote
I have said it before and will continue to say it, KEEP TATE.
Red Zone- with the other receivers OMG 6'5', great hands, and 230+.

At the apex of his jump he should be at least 11 feet. HOW MANY CORNERS, LB'S, SAFETIES can go up there?

JUST KEEP TATE.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 10:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Marvin is what, 8-32 in primetime games? Say he gets 32 cracks at playoff games and he'll likely win about 8 of them, right?.... Maybe??  Nervous

Dunno. It's kind of hard to divide by zero. Wink

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 10:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tate has not shown more talent.  He has not shown enough talent to be active on game days if he does not play special teams.

Tate has gotten more love for doing less than any Bengal player I can remember in recent history.

I'll say it again. You must not have watched any training camp videos or preseason games. 

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 10:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We can put some FA notables in there as well, such as (off the top o' my head)

Rashaun "so tall he will give opposing DC's nightmares" Simonise 
Armon "I pretend to be Larry Fitzgerald in practice" Binns
Matt Jones
Denarius "gonna take the top off for AJ Green" Moore

I'm sure there are more.  Anyways, every year we convince ourselves that our bench is more talented than most NFL teams starting WR corps.  Is Auden Tate the one?  If he is, then we need to jettison the prior "could be a gem" in Cody Core to find out.   

2 years ago I was skeptical Cody Core was going to be a big player in our offense, but I was told that he was overshadowed by Laquon Treadwell and the Bengals got a steal.  Now here we are hoping he gets cut so the next 7th round gem can shine.  Circle of life, and all that.

There are more gems. I remember the boards going crazy over signing Antonio Chatman and people thinking Doug Gabriel was going to add something to our offense. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 12:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'll say it again. You must not have watched any training camp videos or preseason games. 

I watched them.  Did not see anything special.  Tall slow receivers are a dime a dozen.  Jumping to catch a football is not an amazing skill.

I'll say it again.  Tate will not even be active on Sunday's unless he plays special teams or someone gets injured.

Most overhyped Bengal player in years.  Unstoppable red zone threat with zero red zone receptions.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 12:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I watched them.  Did not see anything special.  Tall slow receivers are a dime a dozen.  Jumping to catch a football is not an amazing skill.

I'll say it again.  Tate will not even be active on Sunday's unless he plays special teams or someone gets injured.

Most overhyped Bengal player in years.  Unstoppable red zone threat with zero red zone receptions.

There's the ever faithful pigeonholing. 

Can't worry about silly red zone receptions when you're catching 25 and 18 yard passes that you have to twist and go to the ground to get (called back on penalty), but they still happened. And then there was the 33 yard game winning TD that he had to adjust to as well. Those go along with a handful of catches in practice, notable enough that they were highlighted on TC videos. 

Nothing special though. Except that some other wide receiver named AJ Green said his catches were "unbelievable". 
“Unbelievable,” A.J. Green said of Tate’s catches, according to Dan Hoard on Bengals.com. . “We call him a young Brandon Marshall. The guy has unbelievable hands, he’s big (with) great body control. He had a very good (minicamp).”

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/7/5/17534380/bengals-wr-auden-tate-could-carve-out-a-red-zone-role-for-himself

I'm sure you know better than Bengals players and coaches though. 

Reply/Quote
Just some run-of-the-mill 7th rounder that hasn't shown anything more than any other late-round Bengals pick in the last 15 years...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/4/17416942/film-room-auden-tates-jump-ball-ability-gives-him-chance-at-final-roster

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 01:10 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There's the ever faithful pigeonholing. 

Can't worry about silly red zone receptions when you're catching 25 and 18 yard passes that you have to twist and go to the ground to get (called back on penalty), but they still happened. And then there was the 33 yard game winning TD that he had to adjust to as well. Those go along with a handful of catches in practice, notable enough that they were highlighted on TC videos. 

Nothing special though. Except that some other wide receiver named AJ Green said his catches were "unbelievable". 
“Unbelievable,” A.J. Green said of Tate’s catches, according to Dan Hoard on Bengals.com. . “We call him a young Brandon Marshall. The guy has unbelievable hands, he’s big (with) great body control. He had a very good (minicamp).”

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/7/5/17534380/bengals-wr-auden-tate-could-carve-out-a-red-zone-role-for-himself

I'm sure you know better than Bengals players and coaches though. 

(09-06-2018, 01:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just some run-of-the-mill 7th rounder that hasn't shown anything more than any other late-round Bengals pick in the last 15 years...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/4/17416942/film-room-auden-tates-jump-ball-ability-gives-him-chance-at-final-roster

Yep.  Sounds exactly like previous over-hyped Bengals.

Since you quoted cincyjungle I will do the same

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/7/12/3148498/bengals-2012-training-camp-position-preview-wide-receivers-pt-i

Binns made the most of his opportunity with the Bengals, where he lit up the practice squad after being signed to it on September 20. Binns was asked to emulate Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Wallace, and other top receivers while on the scout team, and he was so damn good at it, that Bengals coaches wanted Binns promoted to the real roster, and possibly even starting. But that never happened, and the Bengals chose to stick with just Green, Simpson, Hawkins, and Whalen.

Looking forward, I really, really like what I've seen out of Binns in OTAs so far. It looks like he trained very hard this offseason, probably realizing the great opportunity for playing time in front of him. He looks far more explosive in and out of his breaks than the scouting reports suggested. His height is a great asset. Coming out of his breaks, he gets his body upright quickly, and consistently catches the ball high, which is extremely hard for defenders to make a play on. As a deep threat, he has the height and jumping ability, but probably not the second gear speed to beat NFL level defenders. Regardless, he could carve a very successful role in this west coast offense. Probably a good red zone threat. Personally, I think he will be starting as the team's number two wide receiver in week 1, while the rookies Sanu and Jones learn the playbook, consistency, and technique.
Reply/Quote