Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hof - best players or a popularity contest.
Only one true Bengal, Anthony Munoz, was ever inducted into the HOF. Are our players all second rate or does the committee that elects them bias toward certain franchises? Donnie Shell gets elected this year while Ken Riley who had similar stats (14 more ints) will probably never get in. Could this be a backhanded way for the NFL perpetuate the success of their favorite and most profitable teams. Players who come to certain franchises know they are going to purgatory when they sign with certain teams. Fifty years with fifty players a yearand only one HOFer. Seems impossible!!!
Reply/Quote
Major snubbery.
Reply/Quote
Here is an interesting look at HoF'ers by team:

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/franchises/

Hall of Famers who made the major part of their primary contribution for any one club are listed in bold. So many players are listed several times but not in bold.

The only teams that have less primary players in the HoF are the Panthers (0), Jaguars(0), and Texans (0). And those teams became part of the NFL almost 30 years after the Bengals or later (Texans 2002).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Ken Riley not being in the HoF is absolute joke. Top 5 all time in INT’s. Is there any other player top 5 in anything significant not in, or will be in? 65 INT’s during a run heavy era is just insane. We should have two Bengals in Canton right now.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 11:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ken Riley not being in the HoF is absolute joke. Top 5 all time in INT’s. Is there any other player top 5 in anything significant not in, or will be in? 65 INT’s during a run heavy era is just insane. We should have two Bengals in Canton right now.

Kenny as well as Ken = 3 at least.
Reply/Quote
Playoff wins and Super Bowls. That's what get our players in the HOF! IF Paul still ran this team, we would have several.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 12:00 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Playoff wins and Super Bowls. That's what get our players in the HOF! IF Paul still ran this team, we would have several.

Hopefully Joe Burrow will get us there brother.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 11:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kenny as well as Ken = 3 at least.

Anderson I think is more borderline, but Riley should have been a no-brainer.

Reply/Quote
Honestly, they haven't had HOF caliber players. It's no accident they've been around for 50+ years and have zero championships. They're averaging less than one playoff victory per decade for for their entire existence.

Munoz is the only no brainier. After him, there's a few borderline guys. Riley has the numbers, but I don't recall anyone ever considering him to be one of the elite at his position. Isaac Curtis probably was among the elite, but was overshadowed, and played in the deadball era of unimpressive passing stats. Ken Anderson will make it eventually, but even he is borderline.

Dillon was an elite level player but played on awful teams with awful O-Lines so doesn't have the stats. Chad was elite for a while but didn't sustain it long enough. Same with AJ Green and Geno Atkins. Both were on HOF paces for a while, but have slipped too much in recent years.

Willie Anderson is probably the most HOF worthy bengal ever after Munoz. Absolutely dominant in his era and sustained it for a long time. RTs don't get the respect though, for some stupid reason.

Bengals have a long history of passing on special HOF level talents in the draft to pick lesser players at the same position.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 01:04 AM)Mobster Wrote: Honestly, they haven't had HOF caliber players. It's no accident they've been around for 50+ years and have zero championships. They're averaging less than one playoff victory per decade for for their entire existence.

Munoz is the only no brainier. After him, there's a few borderline guys. Riley has the numbers, but I don't recall anyone ever considering him to be one of the elite at his position. Isaac Curtis probably was among the elite, but was overshadowed, and played in the deadball era of unimpressive passing stats. Ken Anderson will make it eventually, but even he is borderline.

Dillon was an elite level player but played on awful teams with awful O-Lines so doesn't have the stats. Chad was elite for a while but didn't sustain it long enough. Same with AJ Green and Geno Atkins. Both were on HOF paces for a while, but have slipped too much in recent years.

Willie Anderson is probably the most HOF worthy bengal ever after Munoz. Absolutely dominant in his era and sustained it for a long time. RTs don't get the respect though, for some stupid reason.

Bengals have a long history of passing on special HOF level talents in the draft to pick lesser players at the same position.

Since when does a player have to be truly “elite” to get into the HoF? There’s plenty of guys I’d say were merely just very good already in.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 12:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anderson I think is more borderline, but Riley should have been a no-brainer.

If you look at his career, there is no way that statement holds up. He had better stats than many QB's who are in there. Both Anderson's (Ken and Willie), Riley, Isaac Curtis all should be in..... I truly think it is because MB usually votes against the other owners that our players don't get in....

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/06/08/ken-anderson
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 10:27 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Only one true Bengal, Anthony Munoz, was ever inducted into the HOF.  Are our players all second rate or does the committee that elects them bias toward certain franchises? Donnie Shell gets elected this year while Ken Riley who had similar stats (14 more ints) will probably never get in. Could this be a backhanded way for the NFL perpetuate the success of their favorite and most profitable teams. Players who come to certain franchises know they are going to purgatory when they sign with certain teams. Fifty years with fifty players a yearand only one HOFer. Seems impossible!!!

When you have voting done by people, this is what happens. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I've pretty much stopped caring about hall of fames in general from sports all the way down to janitors hall of fames..  It's like complaining that your girlfriend from 1974 wasn't selected to be the prettiest girl in the world forty something years ago.. Who cares?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:41 AM)grampahol Wrote: I've pretty much stopped caring about hall of fames in general from sports all the way down to janitors hall of fames..  It's like complaining that your girlfriend from 1974 wasn't selected to be the prettiest girl in the world forty something years ago.. Who cares?

Your girlfriend !!!! LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 10:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: When you have voting done by people, this is what happens. 

Are the people on the selection committee sports writers so big market teams have more exposure? Seems like it is skewed toward the more popular teams. Would this be a major factor for FAs not wanting to play here? Ken Riley " The Rattler"belongs in the HOF. Champ Bailey was elected and Riley had better stats. Riley had more INTs in his last two years than Bailey had in his last seven. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:57 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Your girlfriend !!!! LOL

I might add that in 1974 I was still quite backwards, shy and still afraid of girls.. It took me awhile back then to realize tits aren't particularly toxic and a lot more fun than mannequin tits. (I used to think they had bones in them after copping a feel from a mannequin at 4 years old..True confession and story.. Tongue
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 12:11 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Are the people on the selection committee sports writers so big market teams have more exposure? Seems like it is skewed toward the more popular teams. Would this be a major factor for FAs not wanting to play here? Ken Riley " The Rattler"belongs in the HOF. Champ Bailey was elected and Riley had better stats. Riley had more INTs in his last two years than Bailey had in his last seven. 

Here is the list of the HOF selection committee.
There are a total of 48 members.
One that represents for each team plus 16 others.
The Bengals representative is Geoff Hobson.
Most members are affiliated with some sports company or media (e.g. NBCS, ESPN, CBSS, NFLN, PFT)

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/becoming-a-hall-of-famer/

Of course I can't say for sure that it's skewed toward the bigger market/popular teams, but I've noticed that the sports companies as a whole do seem to favor those in their normal coverage.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 12:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anderson I think is more borderline, but Riley should have been a no-brainer.

Anderson deserves the Hall much more than Riley.

Riley never led the league in anything.  When Anderson retired he was the only QB to ever lead the league in passing 4 times.  Today Steve Young is still the only QB to have done it more times (5).

Riley finished in the top 10 in interceptions just 4 times.  Anderson finished in the top 10 in passing 9 times.

Riley never held any NFL records.  Anderson's record for highest completion percentage in a season stood for TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS.

When Anderson retired his postseason passer rating (93.5) ranked 2nd in history (min 100 att) only behind Bart Starr and over 10 points higher than 3rd place Terry Bradshaw (83.0).

When Anderson retired he was 7th in career passing yards and 8th in career regular season wins.
Reply/Quote
Look at Lynn Swans numbers and tell me if it is just a popularity contest.

ONE season with more than 50 receptions.

ZERO seasons with more than 900 receiving yards.

Never finished higher than 7th in receptions in a season and only finished in the top ten twice.

Even his postseason numbers were not that impressive. He just played a lot of postseason games and made a couple of famous catches.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anderson deserves the Hall much more than Riley.

Riley never led the league in anything.  When Anderson retired he was the only QB to ever lead the league in passing 4 times.  Today Steve Young is still the only QB to have done it more times (5).

Riley finished in the top 10 in interceptions just 4 times.  Anderson finished in the top 10 in passing 9 times.

Riley never held any NFL records.  Anderson's record for highest completion percentage in a season stood for TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS.

When Anderson retired his postseason passer rating (93.5) ranked 2nd in history (min 100 att) only behind Bart Starr and over 10 points higher than 3rd place Terry Bradshaw (83.0).

When Anderson retired he was 7th in career passing yards and 8th in career regular season wins.

And yet that doosh Dan Fouts was elected in his first year of eligibility. Look at their numbers - Fouts had more TDs but also more INTs and a lower passer rating. He also never played in a Super Bowl because he was outplayed in the AFC championship game by Anderson. Fouts got in because of the “Air Coryell” hype. Anderson was the better QB.
Reply/Quote