Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Homer Hall of Fame
Anyone else believe Fred has printed documentation of comments and posts that have been made for 10+ years around here?
Reply/Quote
Probably Denny G. Even when they were getting manhandled he was predicting big wins and good things to come. Sometimes it happens as hard to stomach but he was always positive.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 10:00 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Probably Denny G. Even when they were getting manhandled he was predicting big wins and good things to come. Sometimes it happens as hard to stomach but he was always positive.

Positive? He would ban people for [insert pettiest of reasons imaginable]..Many claimed he was a corporate suckup who believed himself to be a god among all message boards. That's not positivity, it's being a failed suckup to a failed team.. Mellow
I think, although I have no proof, I was banned for saying good morning a few times..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was on the old board but didn't post much. WTS I have no clue who it could have been.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 09:27 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Isn't this like the 2nd time this week?
[Image: bane-no.gif]

Still posting, punk!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 12:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So who was a member here in 2012?

After shocking the world by making the playoffs in 2011 we were rewarded with opening the season on Monday night football AT HOME.  Unfortunately we got curb stomped by the Ravens 44-13 and there was lots of talk of "overrated" and "fluke".  Reminders that the 2011 team had finished 9-8 and our only win against a winning team was the very average 9-7 Titans.

We won our next three games, but none of those opponents had won more than 5 games in 2011.  We were all very proud of 3-1, but a lot of people still had a lot of doubts.

We then lost 3 straight to the 1-3 Dolphins, the 0-5 Browns, and the 2-3 Steelers.

We were really struggling at 3-4 but at least we had a bye week to get everything straightened out.  

After the bye we lost our third straight HOME game to drop to 3-5.  We had also won only 16 of our last 42 games. Only 3 AFC teams had fewer wins than us, and 4 of our remaining opponents were at .500 or better including the 6-2 Ravens, the 6-3 Giants, a road game against the 5-3 Steelers, and a 2000 mile road trip to the 4-4 Chargers.. Pretty much everyone was throwing in the towel.

But there was one guy who predicted we would make the playoffs.  For the life of me I can not remember who it was, but you can imagined how he was abused for saying that.

Not only do we win all of those games against teams that were .500 or better, but we went 7-1 and make the playoffs.  Our defense which had been 25th  in scoring and 21st in yards over the first half of the season allowed the second fewest points and 3rd fewest yards over the last 8 weeks of the season.  Our offense also improved from 15th in scoring to 9th.

Anyone remember who that was who said we would make the playoffs when we were 3-5?

[Image: it-was-i-emperor-palpatine.gif]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 10:47 AM)grampahol Wrote: Positive? He would ban people for [insert pettiest of reasons imaginable]..Many claimed he was a corporate suckup who believed himself to be a god among all message boards. That's not positivity, it's being a failed suckup to a failed team.. Mellow
I think, although I have no proof, I was banned for saying good morning a few times..

The dude is 2' tall. Classic Napoleon complex. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Could have been me.  Regardless, there is no one left over from that team except Huber, so not entirely relevant.  I guess being optimistic means homer.

You're picking a fight with a guy you don't want to pick a fight with....

[Image: FD7Q2TOXMAEn2pg?format=jpg&name=medium]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Had to be DennyG. That dude was the homer of all homers. 1st ballot Hall of Fame, unanimous selection.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 11:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're picking a fight with a guy you don't want to pick a fight with....

That guy is a country singer, who also wrestles under the name of Jake "the snap" Roberts, while playing football on the side. 

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 11:50 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That guy is a country singer, who also wrestles under the name of Jake "the snap" Roberts, while playing football on the side. 

Harris and Huber have to be the coolest long snapper/punter combo in the league. Pretty awesome that Clark has raked an NFL salary all these years.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 09:56 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Anyone else believe Fred has printed documentation of comments and posts that have been made for 10+ years around here?

Dude lives for it.* Does he even watch Bengals games or is it more about winning online arguments?

*My unsubstantiated perspective must be accepted as fact so I can be right.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 02:50 AM)kevin Wrote: I said it on The Mothership Site on Bengals.com that was later shut down, and this site created.  This site is better by the way, less trolls than the other.  A lot of people from Pittsburgh area saying how awful Bengals were, was the problem with that web site. 

That was 2012.  Tonight I enjoyed watching Dolphins beat Ravens. In 2021, Bengals are very much in The Play-Off Hunt.  Good chance either Browns or Steelers lose Sunday.  I like Patriots over Browns chances more than Lions over Steelers, But 2 or all 3 AFC North teams could lose during Bengal Bye Week.

I liked the Bengals bring in Dalton to Green team in 2011, I liked that a lot.

I like this new Joe Burrow team.  Now Defense and O Line has been a problem last few years.  In 2021 this is a Better Defense and The O Line is getting Better.  I like The Bookend Tackles of Williams and Reiff.  When our Guards and Center are healthy, this becomes a far better O Line than the garbage Bengals have had since 2017.   We have Huber and How About that Draft Pick Field Goal Kicker.   I like this team, this is a good team.  I think they got the Bye Week at the right time, to get back on track.  Beat the Raiders and get win #6.

Now I was all for the 2011 and 2012 Bengals Rebuild.  Chad and Carson wanted out.  Well, then it was time to Rebuild.  I was 57 in 2012, but all for the Rebuilt young Bengals.  Now in 2021, I am 66, but all behind this new Rebuild because It Was Time.  The window of opportunity closed after 2015.  I really don't like to talk about 2005.  At my old age, the trick is to live in The Now, and luckily my health lets me do that.  So I'm very excited about this 2021 Joe Burrow team.  i go corny now by jumping on a Jimmy Durante song that applies to my old age into these New Bengals.  Fairy Tales can come true, it can happen to you, if you're young at heart.  GO BENGALS of 2021....at age 66, I love to watch Bengals as much as when I was 13 in 1968. I don't think TV shows are as good, and baseball games go 4 hours instead of 2 hours, but I still get excited like a kid when it's time for Bengals Football.

Lets see, 1968 was expansion and then Greg Cook got injured. I guess Anderson and Curtis was a rebuild. Then 1980 was a rebuild with Munoz and others that led to 2 Super Bowls.  The 1990's really didn't have a good rebuild, but in 1997 Boomer coming back and rookie Corey Dillion was a fun 2nd half of the season. 2003 was a good rebuild of Carson and Chad.  Then then 2011 Rebuild.  Now the 2021 Rebuild.  So this makes 6 good Bengals Rebuilds that I've seen.  At my age of 66,  I may not live to see all the Joe Burrow years, but I'm excited about this Rebuild and the possible Super Bowls.  Now our kids were in school in the awful 1990's, and failed to see why I liked The Bengals. I hope that the kids Now can see the Bengals get real good, as I saw them real good in my life.

I love your enthusiasm Kev, but i had to stop reading after the 2nd paragraph. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 02:45 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Faulk... clearly he was the only beacon of positivity when even Denny wavered.Ninja

Y'all listen to this smart man right here. ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 11:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're picking a fight with a guy you don't want to pick a fight with....

(11-12-2021, 11:50 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That guy is a country singer, who also wrestles under the name of Jake "the snap" Roberts, while playing football on the side. 

Wrong, it's the gruff but loveable Lawrence from Office Space.

[Image: office_space_lawrence.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 01:52 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You have to be kidding me?

I haven't said anything yet because it's obviously DENNYG2.

100% Wasn't he even super friendly with Mike Brown? Like talked to him during training camp every year? That dude takes the cake for me.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 12:47 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: 100% Wasn't he even super friendly with Mike Brown? Like talked to him during training camp every year? That dude takes the cake for me.

Got to ride in (drive?) Mike's golf cart, if memory serves.  Rarified air.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 02:33 AM)GodFather Wrote: I was assuming he was talking about the old Bengals board led by General Homer DennyG and his band of minstrels....singing after each loss it was the "Best Thing To Happen"

i think ive seen some This loss was good for us threads lately.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 12:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think ive seen some This loss was good for us threads lately.

“This loss was just what the doctor ordered”
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 12:51 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Got to ride in (drive?) Mike's golf cart, if memory serves.  Rarified air.  

I am almost positive that you are right. He probably even liked the Mock Turtle Soup  Hilarious
Reply/Quote