Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-05-2023, 03:46 PM)pally Wrote: Apparently some are clamoring for Trump as Speaker.  MTG is especially excited over the idea

No one wants Trump as speaker more than I do.

But he'll just tease MAGAland a few days, then won't bother.

The realistic option: I hope Jordan gets it instead.

Serious MAGA leadership, front and center, 24/7.

No longer just shouting from the back benches.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Steve Scalise will be put forth for Speaker by the Republican Caucus. He beat Jim Jordan 113-99. Now we will have to wait to see if he will pick up enough votes to win with the full House voting. The Democrats will again nominate minority leader Hakeem Jeffries.

Scalise told the Republican caucus that another continuing resolution will be needed...agreeing to one is one of the reasons Kevin McCarthy is no longer Speaker

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 02:12 PM)pally Wrote: Steve Scalise will be put forth for Speaker by the Republican Caucus.  He beat Jim Jordan 113-99.  Now we will have to wait to see if he will pick up enough votes to win with the full House voting.  The Democrats will again nominate minority leader Hakeem Jeffries.

Scalise told the Republican caucus that another continuing resolution will be needed...agreeing to one is one of the reasons Kevin McCarthy is no longer Speaker

no vote today which means only 1 thing...Scalise doesn't have the votes yet

Reply/Quote
Jordan has thrown his full support to Scalise.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 05:42 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Jordan has thrown his full support to Scalise.

unfortunately for Scalise, Jordan didn't bring over all his voters

Reply/Quote
David Duke without the baggage vs weirdo wrastlin coach who helped cover up sexual abuse.

Such quality candidates. How could you choose a winner?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 05:03 PM)Dill Wrote: No one wants Trump as speaker more than I do.

But he'll just tease MAGAland a few days, then won't bother.

The realistic option: I hope Jordan gets it instead.

Serious MAGA leadership, front and center, 24/7.

No longer just shouting from the back benches.

Please don't put this into the world.

We went through this in 2015-2016 on if he should run for President because they thought it would be funny to see him fail and later because it would be an easy victory for their party. It was a cursed monkeypaw wish. Learn from history please. Lol

Ideally he never holds any position again and eventually fades away after losing in the primary.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2023, 11:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Please don't put this into the world.

We went through this in 2015-2016 on if he should run for President because they thought it would be funny to see him fail and later because it would be an easy victory for their party. It was a cursed monkeypaw wish. Learn from history please. Lol

Ideally he never holds any position again and eventually fades away after losing in the primary.

Well, not gonna happen now.

But my goal was not to see how funny he would be. 

I was thinking people would again be reminded of the chaos for a short time,

then not be inclined to repeat it when they vote next year.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2023, 11:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Please don't put this into the world.

Agreed. Trump had "3rd string oddball QB you may as well see what he can do" appeal in 2016.  Wanting him in any position now would be like offering Johnny Manziel $55 million guaranteed per year. You know what he is, just admit it and pray others don't give him the keys to the kingdom.  
Reply/Quote

I always think of the Joker's analogy from "The Dark Knight" about being a dog chasing after a car and not knowing what to do once he caught it. 

Unfortunately, Trump has too big an ego to ever "fade away". It's going to take his death plus some time to get over that. 
Reply/Quote
One of the biggest threats I see is (House Republicans) per Rep McCaul ®

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2023, 05:57 PM)pally Wrote: One of the biggest threats I see is (House Republicans) per Rep McCaul ®

“It’s coming from inside the house”
Reply/Quote
So...when does the voting stuff start again?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2023, 06:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So...when does the voting stuff start again?

who knows?  maybe next week.  I dont see them having a consensus by tomorrow

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2023, 07:00 PM)pally Wrote: who knows?  maybe next week.  I dont see them having a consensus by tomorrow

That's cool, no rush.  
Reply/Quote
What do the betting sites have as the under/over for rounds of voting? LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2023, 08:24 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: What do the betting sites have as the under/over for rounds of voting? LOL

https://smarkets.com/event/43490271/politics/us/2024/11/05/00-00/congress/2023/10/11/00-00/next-speaker-of-the-house-of-representatives
Reply/Quote
Steve Scalise has withdrawn his name from consideration as Speaker of the House. And the Scalise backers are no way in hell voting for Jim Jordan so they are back to square 1. In the meantime, the clock is ticking on the next threat of a government shutdown and aid packages to Israel and Ukraine remain undone.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2023, 10:17 PM)pally Wrote: Steve Scalise has withdrawn his name from consideration as Speaker of the House.  And the Scalise backers are no way in hell voting for Jim Jordan so they are back to square 1.  In the meantime, the clock is ticking on the next threat of a government shutdown and aid packages to Israel and Ukraine remain undone.

Maybe the Trump purity test is the next step.

I could see a Gaetz or Boebert calling for a public vote for Republicans to "prove their loyalty" to Trump to try and force Republicans to get in line.
Reply/Quote
Jordan is working the phones trying to build support for himself.
Reply/Quote