Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-18-2023, 11:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If you read my post, that was my point. Do nothing and let the politics play out while no more spending for Ukraine nor Israel. Biden gave Hamas (says for Palestinians so don't steal it Hamas) 100 million. Which part of over 60% voting for Hamas leadership is Biden failing to understand. The majority of Palestinians want to wipe Israel and every Jew off the map. 

No House in Session means no more spending our grand children's money with wasteful spending and government being too big.

It will handcuff the Democratic Senate led majority and the Democratic President. Let the sides go to their corners and fight the PR war on whom to blame, I see arguments on both sides. That is what I meant by calling Jeffries bluff, shut it down by not electing a speaker or both sides can be reasonable and choose a speaker from the majority side.

There isn't anything that says the speaker has to be a member of the majority party, which is why when democrats were the majority republicans didn't have to vote for Nancy Pelosi or another democrat to be speaker and McCarthy received all 209 republican votes.  If we just say it's the responsibility of the house to elect a speaker from the majority party that's going to change things pretty drastically.  Of course we're already in unprecedented (there is that word again) territory now, so maybe the idea is that if a speaker can't be chosen it's time to eliminate voting for anyone who isn't in the minority party...or is this some new unspoken rule we want them to just start following now and probably never again?

With that being said, Patrick McHenry is the most likely candidate to be the next speaker so democrats are probably going to cross party lines and be hammered for it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's actually a good thing to see republicans, some at least, refuse to vote for someone who has added to and increased the amount of vitriol in politics.

I'll add that someone like Jordan, who has done nothing of substance in his entire time in congress, is unable to find a way to create agreement to get the votes he needs.  He's a do-nothing, know-nothing but he's loud and he thinks that should be enough.  Probably why he loves P01135809 so much too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 09:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: It's actually a good thing to see republicans, some at least, refuse to vote for someone who has added to and increased the amount of vitriol in politics.

I'll add that someone like Jordan, who has done nothing of substance in his entire time in congress, is unable to find a way to create agreement to get the votes he needs.  He's a do-nothing, know-nothing but he's loud and he thinks that should be enough.  Probably why he loves P01135809 so much too.

Gaetz has already tweeted that empowering McHenry is like electing Jefferies, so even if democrats do vote for a republican speaker it's going to lead to the same ol' "fight and deny reality and play the victim" from the usual suspects on the right unless they go MAGA with it. 

I realize these folks all have R next to their name but the majority party stuff gets a bit less obvious after that. 
Reply/Quote
Saw om local news earlier that some of those Repubs that voted against Jordan got death threats for doing so. If true can't say I'm shocked since he supported He Who Shall Not Be Named on Jan. 6th.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 10:19 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Saw om local news earlier that some of those Repubs that voted against Jordan got death threats for doing so. If true can't say I'm shocked since he supported He Who Shall Not Be Named on Jan. 6th.

They should compromise and send death threats across the aisle to democrats to get some bipartisan support. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 10:19 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Saw om local news earlier that some of those Repubs that voted against Jordan got death threats for doing so. If true can't say I'm shocked since he supported He Who Shall Not Be Named on Jan. 6th.

There were reports that spouses were getting phone calls to get members to change their vote.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Quote:NBC News confirms: Before Jim Jordan's first defeat, the wife of Republican Rep. Don Bacon received anonymous messages warning him to back Jordan's speakership bid or risk being ousted.

One message: "Your husband will not hold any political office ever again. Your husband will not hold any political office ever again. What a disappoint [sic] and failure he is."

Another: "Why is your husband causing chaos by not supporting Jim Jordan? I thought he was a team player."

@NBCNews
[url=https://twitter.com/NBCNews][/url]
Reply/Quote
The threats are just hardening the opposition to Jordan. It is showing the world how he leads.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 10:38 AM)pally Wrote: The threats are just hardening the opposition to Jordan.  It is showing the world how he leads.

Are they "you'll lose your next election" threats or legit "imma hurt you" ones?  Jordan and Gaetz do resemble Dick Tracy villains I guess.  Wrassle Rapist and Asshead, or something.  
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 11:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Are they "you'll lose your next election" threats or legit "imma hurt you" ones?  Jordan and Gaetz do resemble Dick Tracy villains I guess.  Wrassle Rapist and Asshead, or something.  

both

Republican caucus meeting set for 11AM

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 11:11 AM)pally Wrote: both

Republican caucus meeting set for 11AM

They should just threaten democrats, they're wimps and probably unarmed. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 11:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Are they "you'll lose your next election" threats or legit "imma hurt you" ones?  Jordan and Gaetz do resemble Dick Tracy villains I guess.  Wrassle Rapist and Asshead, or something.  

[Image: download.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 11:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: download.jpg]

That bulge is NSFW
Reply/Quote
It is amusing that Jim Jordan's team is threatening people not long after some of his colleagues were complaining about metal detectors and their inability to carry firearms onto the house floor.

Maybe im over exaggerating that, but it's still pretty amusing.
Reply/Quote
Jordan is not going to call for a 3rd vote today. He will support McHenry as a temporary Speaker but is not withdrawing his own name

Reply/Quote
Just saw that McCarthy got 5 votes.

Dems could've done a troll job and voted unanimously for McCarthy, getting him to the 217 LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 12:10 PM)pally Wrote: Jordan is not going to call for a 3rd vote today.  He will support McHenry as a temporary Speaker but is not withdrawing his own name

Maybe I am wrong, but McHenry is not respected within the conference. I see no way he gets to the majority vote unless Democrats vote for him. McCarthy was ousted for getting Democrats to cross the aisle to keep the government open.

So in the end, 8 Republicans with no succession plan ousted McCarthy to get a speaker Democrats wanted on the GOP side. The Republicans were killed in this fight for power by Democrats.

I hope the gang of 8 is voted out in 2024, at this point it would serve them right even if they lose to a Democrat. The Republicans in the house are a bunch of morons showing they have no ability to lead as a group.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 12:45 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Just saw that McCarthy got 5 votes.

Dems could've done a troll job and voted unanimously for McCarthy, getting him to the 217 LOL

212 democrats could pretty much get anyone who isn't a Democrat elected. 

Oh or Liz Cheney or Mitt Romney. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 12:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe I am wrong, but McHenry is not respected within the conference. I see no way he gets to the majority vote unless Democrats vote for him. McCarthy was ousted for getting Democrats to cross the aisle to keep the government open.

So in the end, 8 Republicans with no succession plan ousted McCarthy to get a speaker Democrats wanted on the GOP side. The Republicans were killed in this fight for power by Democrats.

I hope the gang of 8 is voted out in 2024, at this point it would serve them right even if they lose to a Democrat. The Republicans in the house are a bunch of morons showing they have no ability to lead as a group.

Boebert almost lost but I think the gang of 8 are mostly in such safe districts that they can't lose and it could be argued that causing chaos is exactly their job as reps of those districts. 
Reply/Quote
So Jordan has now abandoned the "make McHenry temporary Speaker" plan after massive pushback from his caucus. What is next is anyone's guess. The Republicans have no one who can get to 217 from their caucus alone. Will they cross the aisle to vote for Hakeem Jeffries? Will they make a deal on a moderate Speaker who will commit to honoring the debt ceiling deal

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 04:58 PM)pally Wrote: So Jordan has now abandoned the "make McHenry temporary Speaker" plan after massive pushback from his caucus.  What is next is anyone's guess.   The Republicans have no one who can get to 217 from their caucus alone.  Will they cross the aisle to vote for Hakeem Jeffries?  Will they make a deal on a moderate Speaker who will commit to honoring the debt ceiling deal

Sadly a deal with Jeffries is a deal with the devil. Just ask McCarthy.

Has anyone noticed a change in their life since 8 GOP members and every democratic member voted to remove McCarthy. I say just let the situation ride. Maybe a great lesson from both sides to learn playing politics all the time can be costly.

Let them recess until February.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote