Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How good can Tee Higgins be?
(04-15-2021, 08:18 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Exactly.  They get two guys of need that can immediately improve their group.

I think it's worth it.

I agree, I think we need as many picks as we can get but Marshall is the best consolation prize if we take Sewell and not Chase.

Bigger and just as fast and has played with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Higgins can end up being a Boldin, we will be in great shape.  I remember thinking Joe Flaccid should have given about half of his contract after his amazing Super Bowl run.  Boldin was just sick during that run.  Flaccid would just chuck it in his direction and Q would come down with it.  Every. Single. Time. 

I am thrilled with Higgins and think he could be even better with a full offseason and more conditioning.  If you have Higgins, Boyd, and Chase as the WR group, Mixon the primary back, Uzo/Sample/Moss as the TEs, I really like the way the offense looks.  

Man Flacco should give half that ridiculous contract he got to Boldin.

Boldin did a great job of making him look average. When Boldin left, Flacco fell off a cliff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2021, 07:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tee ran an official 4.54 at his Pro Day.  I think the 4.43 was someone's bad hand time.

He also played 15 snaps on offense in week 1, so he did play.

He has great hands and is good with contested catches, but struggles to get separation.  That's the big reason why he fell off after Burrow went down, as Allen simply doesn't have the ability to thread the needle like Burrow can.  He's also good at generating some extra yards after the catch.  He's not a guy that's going to make a bunch of guys miss and take it to the house, but he'll get you 4-5 yards of YAC consistently, which can be the difference between moving the chains or sending in the punter.  He's agile, especially for his size, but lacks burst.  He will really need to become a great technical route runner to generate separation given his lack of speed and burst.  Ball security is an issue, though.

At the end of the day, I think his best fit is as a high end #2.  I'll catch heat for that, but his lack of burst and top end speed are going to keep him from being a high end #1.  The only Top 10 WR from this last year to not officially clock in the sub 4.5 range was Davonte Adams at 4.51, which is right on the edge.  If he polishes up his route running, I think he will dominate CB2's in single coverage, but I don't see him being able to win against the consistent double teams and/or top CB's he'll see as a WR1.

You said it best here when you said he "struggles to get separation"  It seemed as if he was pretty well covered on most targets last seaspn.  While he is a nice addition to this receiving corp, I also doubt he becomes anymore than just a solid #2 here.  Not that that is a bad thing at all.  A solid all around player that will help out tremendously, but an AJ green type, he is not.  At least I dont see it yet
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2021, 08:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Certainly wasn't as on pace with his Giants days but his first season he went over 1000 yards with Baker looking hit or miss.

Last season when Baker seemed less streaky we will call it, OBJ was hurt.

Just figure if Baker plays like he did last year and OBJ is healthy and Landry is there, he might rebound. He is still super talented.

The vibe here in cleveland is that OBJ was the reason that baker struggled in 2019.  I cant say for sure but if you look at how baker played in '19 and then early '20 before he got hurt, his game was lacking.  Watching him play once OBJ got hurt, and its a completely different Mayfield.  It seems to me that he played with far more confidence knowing he didnt have to worry about getting the diva the ball every snap.  
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 10:28 AM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: The vibe here in cleveland is that OBJ was the reason that baker struggled in 2019.  I cant say for sure but if you look at how baker played in '19 and then early '20 before he got hurt, his game was lacking.  Watching him play once OBJ got hurt, and its a completely different Mayfield.  It seems to me that he played with far more confidence knowing he didnt have to worry about getting the diva the ball every snap.  

Honestly, I think his QB coach helped him more than anything.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 10:30 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Honestly, I think his QB coach helped him more than anything.

Baker has it good right now. Teams have to respect Cleveland’s two headed monster in the run game.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:15 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Baker has it good right now. Teams have to respect Cleveland’s two headed monster in the run game.

Agreed, but his stance is better and he's making better decisions as well too.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:16 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Agreed, but his stance is better and he's making better decisions as well too.

Ah, I don’t watch him too closely. Mostly just see the times he plays the Bengals. All I know is that he threw a bomb on a rope to peoples Jones that not many QBs can make.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:15 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Baker has it good right now. Teams have to respect Cleveland’s two headed monster in the run game.

Baker does have it good right now. He has good blocking, a very good run game and a solid defense which is the most proven winning formula there is. With or without OBJ he is fine, but he did play better when OBJ went down. The diva issue is a real thing, imo. 

Back on topic. Higgins will be elite if he's given the chance to be. Only Amari Cooper and Justin Jefferson had over 1000 yards their rookie seasons since 2005. Higgins had 903 or something and was really hitting his stride when Burrow went down. In fact he could've taken more of AJ's targets all season and I would've been happy. If Burrow didnt get crushed so often early, and eventually hurt, I think Higgins could've been more like a 1200 yard guy in his rookie year easy. 

Edit: And I love Chase, but Higgins and Boyd are why I dont think we need a top 5 WR with so many questions marks on the OL. At least we have 2 WR's of that caliber already. Cant really say that for any other position right now.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:57 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Baker does have it good right now. He has good blocking, a very good run game and a solid defense which is the most proven winning formula there is. With or without OBJ he is fine, but he did play better when OBJ went down. The diva issue is a real thing, imo. 

Back on topic. Higgins will be elite if he's given the chance to be. Only Amari Cooper and Justin Jefferson had over 1000 yards their rookie seasons since 2005. Higgins had 903 or something and was really hitting his stride when Burrow went down. In fact he could've taken more of AJ's targets all season and I would've been happy. If Burrow didnt get crushed so often early, and eventually hurt, I think Higgins could've been more like a 1200 yard guy in his rookie year easy. 

Edit: And I love Chase, but Higgins and Boyd are why I dont think we need a top 5 WR with so many questions marks on the OL. At least we have 2 WR's of that caliber already. Cant really say that for any other position right now.

Agreed on Mayfield. Problem for us is he is in our Division. Hope OBJ stays healthy to diva him up lol

The thing about WR is we need 3 good ones and we only have 2 that are not great at getting separation.

OL is deep in this Draft and we have 8 picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed on Mayfield. Problem for us is he is in our Division. Hope OBJ stays healthy to diva him up lol

The thing about WR is we need 3 good ones and we only have 2 that are not great at getting separation.

I would love to see OBJ diva up on him lol. I'm bitter we lost to them twice last year and they won a playoff game. Ugh
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 02:59 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I would love to see OBJ diva up on him lol. I'm bitter we lost to them twice last year and they won a playoff game. Ugh

Same, need to turn this thing around and start beating up on the tough teams in our Division.

One thing is, if we can start beating the Ravens, Steelers and Browns we will be prepared for the rest of the tough teams.

Being in the toughest division is a curse and a blessing honestly.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If the Bengals would be willing to go Sewell at 5 and trade back up into the 1st for Marshall I would jump off the Chase train so fast I’d probably break an ankle lol.

Marshall won’t be there at 38 though.

Not like we have not heard a player won;t be there and is... happens every year.. so we can't say for certain.. i agree he seems to be moving into late 1st round on some boards but ive seen others that have him in 2nd round... but no matter there are other fine WRs that most likely will be there at 38.. 

On a side note ive noticed more Oline going in 1st round on boards than before so that might be thinner than we think at 38 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Since Higgins is so slow he can't get any separation. We should trade him to the giants for that really fast wr they got this offseason. I bet he could get separation.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 10:41 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Since Higgins is so slow he can't get any separation. We should trade him to the giants for that really fast wr they got this offseason. I bet he could get separation.

nice one..... and 40 times are very overrated which you pointed out indirectly
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed on Mayfield. Problem for us is he is in our Division. Hope OBJ stays healthy to diva him up lol

well if they aint fast get big...  so they always open that way lol.. Like TE's that can run like WRs
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 02:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well if they aint fast get big...  so they always open that way lol.. Like TE's that can run like WRs

What about both? Kyle Pitts...

But I doubt he will be there for us at 5.
Reply/Quote

It's hard for anyone to get separation when the QB has to throw the ball in two seconds. 
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 03:10 PM)Benton Wrote: It's hard for anyone to get separation when the QB has to throw the ball in two seconds. 

True, but even when Burrow had time our guys had trouble. Two way street though for damn sure.

Need both a good Line to give the QB time and Receivers that can separate. 

Chase or Pitts sure would help and then going OL big time the rest of the Draft. Still for drafting Sewell, just sayin'.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, but even when Burrow had time our guys had trouble. 

No they didn't. 
Reply/Quote