Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
(06-14-2020, 08:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, how I wish that Rugby would have been popular, in the small town that I grew up in.

When I was in HS there was no such thing as soccer or Rugby anywhere near me, that I was aware of anyways. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 09:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: When I was in HS there was no such thing as soccer or Rugby anywhere near me, that I was aware of anyways. 

Our HS had soccer, but it was pretty much a novelty.  The only guys that played were the ones who were too small for football, or their mom's wouldn't sign the release form for them to play football.  But Rugby..  That's a different animal, completely.  I love how they play full contact, with no pads.  There has to be a mutual respect among players, in order to carry on that way.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 08:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, how I wish that Rugby would have been popular, in the small town that I grew up in.

Mate, it is a great game. I played Rugby League at a reasonably high level and it is amazing, much different to the Rugby most Americans know about.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 04:24 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I heard talk of once the players are in the facility that they kept in some form of loose isolation. Not sure how receptive they'll be to being told they have to stay on facility grounds and not go out in public, but I think its a necessary measure if we want to keep them healthy. 

It is going to be interesting what they do, I hope they get it off the ground as I watch a lot of NFL.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Our HS had soccer, but it was pretty much a novelty.  The only guys that played were the ones who were too small for football, or their mom's wouldn't sign the release form for them to play football.  But Rugby..  That's a different animal, completely.  I love how they play full contact, with no pads.  There has to be a mutual respect among players, in order to carry on that way.

In the NFL, for a lot of players (like receivers), the only difference is the helmet because the shoulder pads and pads in the pants are pretty much just paper.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2020, 03:05 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: In the NFL, for a lot of players (like receivers), the only difference is the helmet because the shoulder pads and pads in the pants are pretty much just paper.

Pretty big difference though  Mellow

Reply/Quote
The NFL Machine will move forward unless something catastrophic happens, we will see games for sure but doubt any fans will be in attendance
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 06:49 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: Do you think that will be with or without crowds?

Depends I think.  Since EVERYTHING is political.  It depends upon the calendar.  Prior to the first Tuesday in November(election day) it goes like this.
If the fans engage in enthusiastic BLM protests led by the players, crowds will be allowed.
If the fans boo the players protesting on the field, crowds will be banned.
If the fans enjoy the game without any interest in anything but football, crowds will be banned.

After the election, all crowd restrictions will end.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2020, 01:50 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Depends I think.  Since EVERYTHING is political.  It depends upon the calendar.  Prior to the first Tuesday in November(election day) it goes like this.
If the fans engage in enthusiastic BLM protests led by the players, crowds will be allowed.
If the fans enjoy the game without any interest in anything but football, crowds will be banned.

Lol...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Absolutly no reason to cancel the season. That would be a joke. The NFL needs to have the balls to fight back and be the one sport to ignore all the overhyped craziness and have a full season.
Reply/Quote
I believe I have been sufficiently weened off televised sports to not really give a rat's ass if they play or not.

If they play, I'll watch. If they don't, so be it. Life will still go on.

I also believe the last three plus months have created a whole new perspective on what is superfluous and what isn't.

Baseball seems intent on coloring itself irrelevant. Time will tell if football will do that or not. It is utterly out of the hands of fans.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think that once the election is over that the reports of deaths from other things that are being reported as this virus death will die down. The media will stop hyping this and the race issues and things will probably calm down after November. One side has too much to gain politically right now for either to die down. It’s very sad that it factors in at all but that’s are measures that people will go to to gain power.
Reply/Quote
I feel less great about things with the news about the Texas teams having multiple players test positive, including Zeke.

I think everyone wants to move forward with the season, but those kinds of goals are set without the rubber meeting the road. Once players are congregating together again, positives are inevitable, then shit gets pretty real pretty fast.

As I've said, I imagine most of these guys being young and for the most part in great shape will be just fine. That still doesn't remove the need to quarrantine infected individuals for god knows how long.

What happens if somebody in the QB room gets it? DO you quarrantine all of them since they're all together? What happens when 3 or 4 OL on a team get it?

Between the expected NFL injuries that occur in a season, and losing players to the virus sporadically (hopefully at worst), you're looking at some rosters that have more holes than swiss cheese. In what world would a team that wins a title in a year like that not be considered an asterisk champ?
Reply/Quote
Hey Aussie Bengal... We're a pretty amusing bunch over here; aren't we?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2020, 01:50 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Depends I think.  Since EVERYTHING is political.  It depends upon the calendar.  Prior to the first Tuesday in November(election day) it goes like this.

Horse Hocky.

The US has 27% of worldwide COVID-19 deaths and less than 5% of the world' population.

"Bbbbbbut over counting", you say, when asked to explain.

Notwithstanding that most EXPERTS say we are under, not over, counting, even if we HALVED the  number of US deaths, we'd still be out of whack numberswise. In fact, we'd need to be at about 22,000 deaths for the numbers to line up.

Unless, of course, you subscribe to the "ignore" theory. That's the theory that says that if we ignore all nursing home deaths, all deaths in states with Democrat governors, all deaths in cities with Democrat mayors, all Native American deaths and all deaths from anyone who cannot trace their ancestry back to those that landed with the Mayflower, only 6 Americans have died of COVID-19.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2020, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Our HS had soccer, but it was pretty much a novelty.  The only guys that played were the ones who were too small for football, or their mom's wouldn't sign the release form for them to play football.  But Rugby..  That's a different animal, completely.  I love how they play full contact, with no pads.  There has to be a mutual respect among players, in order to carry on that way.

I was on the soccer team in high school.  No regrets. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 10:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I was on the soccer team in high school.  No regrets. 

I don't have anything against the sport, I'm just reporting on the times at my HS years.  (Class of '87, Farm/Industrial small town Ohio)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 11:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't have anything against the sport, I'm just reporting on the times at my HS years.  (Class of '87, Farm/Industrial small town Ohio)

My HS was similar in that regard.  Football was all that mattered.  I played soccer and tennis so I was good at the shameful sports. 

Lord give me the confidence of a small town high school football team that collapses as soon as they have to play a school with "colored kids" on it.  Good times?
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2020, 10:36 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I think that once the election is over that the reports of deaths from other things that are being reported as this virus death will die down. The media will stop hyping this and the race issues and things will probably calm down after November. One side has too much to gain politically right now for either to die down. It’s very sad that it factors in at all but that’s are measures that people will go to to gain power.

Things are going to escalate tremendously after November when Trump wins the election... no end in sight
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2020, 12:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Things are going to escalate tremendously after November when Trump wins the election... no end in sight

Regardless of who wins it's hard to look at the future and confidently predict sanity being in the cards.  
Reply/Quote