Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
Wow! So all These years during the flu season we were all immature, self centered people for not wearing masks. Thank you for enlightening us all.
Ninja
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 06:21 PM)Mer Wrote: Wow! So all These years during the flu season we were all immature, self centered people for not wearing masks. Thank you for enlightening us all.
Ninja

To be fair the flu is seasonal. If covid had proven seasonal, I think the narrative would be different. Even with the mask debate we'd be done with a season right about now.

Back to regular scheduled programing.

Maybe the cold kill it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 06:21 PM)Mer Wrote: Wow! So all These years during the flu season we were all immature, self centered people for not wearing masks. Thank you for enlightening us all.
Ninja

Not self centered... Just lazy, unhelpful (also the loudest complainers about the situation), misinformed, and drama queens.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Such a stupid thing to take a stand against. Just wear the damn mask.

I hate wearing one as much as anyone (especially when it fogs up my glasses), but if they’re even slightly effective it’s worth it. Pretty small thing to ask out of people.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 05:25 PM)Mer Wrote: This thing will be gone after the election and the media will tell us the "numbers" are down because almost everyone had been exposed. There's no medical proof about masks helping and"social distancing" was from a high school science fair project a student did years ago. Don't believe me? Look it up.

If you want to wear a mask, I respect that decision. If I don't want to, you should respect mine.

Nope
Reply/Quote
Ninja

In all honesty kinda! In Asia they wear masks all the time in flu season. So it's not unheard of.
I don't think people should go to jail or be fined for not wearing a mask but it is the proper thing to do. Even if it doesn't help stop the spread it's not like you are going to die for wearing one.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 05:56 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Again as some seem to keep missing this.  Wearing a mask seems to help keep people from transmitting it to others.  Not 100% but better than walking around breathing all over the place with nothing on.  That is the point. Not as some magic piece of cloth that will protect the user from contracting it.  That is where social distancing, hand washing/sanitizing and not touching your face comes in.

As for older people and people with underlying conditions is concerned, not everyone has the luxury of staying at home all the time.  There are many, many people in the at risk group that don't have family members, friends or social services to bring them food and other necessities. Those same people may not be able to afford to pay services to deliver what they need.   What are they suppose to do, not go grocery shopping for the food they need, go without medication, etc?  Yeah, "They just need to stay home so they don't risk getting sick."  It's not that easy for a lot of people.  Those that don't have a support system.

When I lived in an apartment building several years ago there was an older man that lived below me.  He was on oxygen and could barely go up and down the stairs.  I used to help him out with groceries because I knew it was a struggle for him and he didn't have anyone else.  I can only imagine what he is going through now.  Hopefully he found someone else to help him out.

That's where our responsibility lies.  To do our best to not transmit Covid, especially to those that are vulnerable or to spread it to someone that is healthy that may unknowingly spread it to a vulnerable person.  For me that means social distancing, wearing a mask in public, monitoring my temperature before I leave the house, and practicing good hand hygiene.  That's the best I can do and what I think is best given the current information.  Sure it is slightly inconvenient but over the last few months it has just become a way of life for me.   Just like brushing my teeth, showering and wiping my ass after using the bathroom.  It's just something I do as regular routine.  

As for NFL players and expecting them to abide by the same guidelines and even more, say being on some form of self quarantine during the season, I don't know.  The majority of NFL players I'm sure would handle the situation responsibly.  But like any large group of people there are also immature, self-centered people that I'm not sure I would trust to do the right thing.   If things go forward with the NFL I hope I am wrong about the later.

Seriously? Anyone who tells me I have to wipe my ass is impinging on my rights and I will refuse!!!!!!  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
Ninja

Or maybe its the fact with have other ways to combat the flu?
Reply/Quote
Andrew Whitworth was one of the 72 players who tested positive. I guess his entire family got it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-lunch-led-to-rams-andrew-whitworth-and-his-family-getting-coronavirus-i-realized-how-contagious-this-really-is-210618586.html
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 10:00 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Andrew Whitworth was one of the 72 players who tested positive. I guess his entire family got it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-lunch-led-to-rams-andrew-whitworth-and-his-family-getting-coronavirus-i-realized-how-contagious-this-really-is-210618586.html

Glad him and his family are ok.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 07:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: To be fair the flu is seasonal. If covid had proven seasonal, I think the narrative would be different. Even with the mask debate we'd be done with a season right about now.

Back to regular scheduled programing.

Maybe the cold kill it.

Flu also has vaccines

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 11:44 AM)pally Wrote: Flu also has vaccines

Yes there are vaccines for the flu. They're not very affective most years which is why I don't get them anymore. I did get them when my children were infants because I work in a public school and I'm exposed to everything my students bring in. But that's most likely why I also have a very strong immune system from fighting off those things. 
My wife had covid back in February and had a terrible cough and shortness of breath. Those symptoms were worse at night. All I got from it was a slightly sore throat for a day or 2. 
If this thing is as contagious as the CDC claims most of you have already been exposed to it and already have the antibodies. Wearing a mask at that point is like putting on the condom after she's pregnant, but if it makes you feel better I say go for it. Just don't try to force it on me. If you really want to know get the antibodies test but make sure you're getting the correct one. There are several out there. 

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 05:56 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Again as some seem to keep missing this.  Wearing a mask seems to help keep people from transmitting it to others.  Not 100% but better than walking around breathing all over the place with nothing on.  That is the point. Not as some magic piece of cloth that will protect the user from contracting it.  That is where social distancing, hand washing/sanitizing and not touching your face comes in.

As for older people and people with underlying conditions is concerned, not everyone has the luxury of staying at home all the time.  There are many, many people in the at risk group that don't have family members, friends or social services to bring them food and other necessities. Those same people may not be able to afford to pay services to deliver what they need.   What are they suppose to do, not go grocery shopping for the food they need, go without medication, etc?  Yeah, "They just need to stay home so they don't risk getting sick."  It's not that easy for a lot of people.  Those that don't have a support system.

When I lived in an apartment building several years ago there was an older man that lived below me.  He was on oxygen and could barely go up and down the stairs.  I used to help him out with groceries because I knew it was a struggle for him and he didn't have anyone else.  I can only imagine what he is going through now.  Hopefully he found someone else to help him out.

That's where our responsibility lies.  To do our best to not transmit Covid, especially to those that are vulnerable or to spread it to someone that is healthy that may unknowingly spread it to a vulnerable person.  For me that means social distancing, wearing a mask in public, monitoring my temperature before I leave the house, and practicing good hand hygiene.  That's the best I can do and what I think is best given the current information.  Sure it is slightly inconvenient but over the last few months it has just become a way of life for me.   Just like brushing my teeth, showering and wiping my ass after using the bathroom.  It's just something I do as regular routine.  

As for NFL players and expecting them to abide by the same guidelines and even more, say being on some form of self quarantine during the season, I don't know.  The majority of NFL players I'm sure would handle the situation responsibly.  But like any large group of people there are also immature, self-centered people that I'm not sure I would trust to do the right thing.   If things go forward with the NFL I hope I am wrong about the later.

Yup. My question to the anti-maskers is why do so many Asian countries have very low rates of Covid infections and deaths compared to over here and in the EU? 

Countries like Japan, S. Korea, Thailand, the vast majority of the people were wearing masks, social distancing when they can, and sanitizing their hands. They were doing this early on despite what organizations like the WHO and some western medical professionals were saying (who have now did an about face about masks).

Numbers don't lie, and the numbers of countries where mask wearing was mocked by it's leaders and not taken seriously compared to countries whose people have been wearing masks for months now can't just be a coincidence.

So no, I won't respect anyone's decision to choose to not wear a mask.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 12:54 PM)Mer Wrote: Yes there are vaccines for the flu. They're not very affective most years which is why I don't get them anymore. I did get them when my children were infants because I work in a public school and I'm exposed to everything my students bring in. But that's most likely why I also have a very strong immune system from fighting off those things. 
My wife had covid back in February and had a terrible cough and shortness of breath. Those symptoms were worse at night. All I got from it was a slightly sore throat for a day or 2. 
If this thing is as contagious as the CDC claims most of you have already been exposed to it and already have the antibodies. Wearing a mask at that point is like putting on the condom after she's pregnant, but if it makes you feel better I say go for it. Just don't try to force it on me. If you really want to know get the antibodies test but make sure you're getting the correct one. There are several out there. 

1) How do you know you had Covid 19 in February?

2) Which antibody test is the right one?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 01:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: 1) How do you know you had Covid 19 in February?

2) Which antibody test is the right one?

We were tested. It needs to be an antibody test, not a viral test. To be sure you need to get all 3. IGA IGG and IGM.

So, Milhouse, wearing a mask doesn't do anyone around me any good. I'm not contagious and can't get it again. And if you say I can, why make a vaccine? Wear your mask it if you want.

BTW, I know the flu mutates which is why they make a new vaccine every year. The good news about Corona viruses is they get weaker each time they mutate.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 01:30 PM)Mer Wrote: We were tested. It needs to be an antibody test, not a viral test. To be sure you need to get all 3. IGA IGG and IGM.

You wrote we should get the right one. Now you claim we should get three antibody tests. Which is it? The right one? Or three?

When did you get your antibody tests and the results of each?
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 01:30 PM)Mer Wrote: We were tested. It needs to be an antibody test, not a viral test. To be sure you need to get all 3. IGA IGG and IGM.

So, Milhouse, wearing a mask doesn't do anyone around me any good. I'm not contagious and can't get it again. And if you say I can, why make a vaccine? Wear your mask it if you want.

BTW, I know the flu mutates which is why they make a new vaccine every year. The good news about Corona viruses is they get weaker each time they mutate.

For a science teacher you know surprisingly little about science. You are particularly ill informed about Covid 19.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Quote: Antibody tests check your blood by looking for antibodies, which may tell you if you had a past infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. Antibodies are proteins that help fight off infections and can provide protection against getting that disease again (immunity). Antibodies are disease specific. For example, measles antibodies will protect you from getting measles if you are exposed to it again, but they won’t protect you from getting mumps if you are exposed to mumps.

Except in instances in which viral testing is delayed, antibody tests should not be used to diagnose a current COVID-19 infection. An antibody test may not show if you have a current COVID-19 infection because it can take 1–3 weeks after infection for your body to make antibodies. To see if you are currently infected, you need a viral test. Viral tests identify the virus in samples from your respiratory system, such as a swab from the inside of your nose.

If you test positive or negative for COVID-19 on a viral or an antibody test, you still should take preventive measures to protect yourself and others.

We do not know yet if people who recover from COVID-19 can get infected again. Scientists are working to understand this.

You should read all of it, but pay particular attention to the sentence in bold.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 01:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You wrote we should get the right one. Now you claim we should get three antibody tests. Which is it? The right one? Or three?

When did you get your antibody tests and the results of each?

It's been at least a month and a half since we had them. Our doctor told us to get all 3 but he mentioned that we need to get the IGG for sure. It takes 4-6 weeks to produce antibodies.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 01:53 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: For a science teacher you know surprisingly little about science. You are particularly ill informed about Covid 19.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

You should read all of it, but pay particular attention to the sentence in bold.

That's about current infections, not past. But to use it, it does mention antibodies = immunity.

Also, science is an evolving area. The truth is we all know very little about it. Since you want to belittle me about it, are you the master?

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2020, 01:56 PM)Mer Wrote: It's been at least a month and a half since we had them. Our doctor told us to get all 3 but he mentioned that we need to get the IGG for sure. It takes 4-6 weeks to produce antibodies.

Which means you could have had an asymptomatic case of Covid 19 in late April.

Since you teach science and are familiar with the scientific method, your hypothesis is you had Covid 19 in February. Your data (test results) don’t support your conclusion because they can’t differentiate between an infection that may have occurred in February or April.

Here’s some more reading material for you . . .

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/am-i-immune-to-covid-19-if-i-have-antibodies

And I’m sure your healthcare provider didn’t tell you that you were immune to Covid 19 based upon your test results because we don’t know the answer to that question, yet.
Reply/Quote