Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hubbard update
(12-20-2022, 05:41 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: We have the $$$ to sign Terrell Lewis OLB/DE 6'5 275-lbs who was just cut from the LA Rams to allow more snaps for other players.  He's in shape and could be plugged in immediately, and we wouldn't have to cut anyone to afford him.  

Nice, would be all for Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice, would be all for Lewis.

We could get this guy for around $200k.  As pointed out by another poster, Lewis is making $ 1 million a year, so we offer to pay him for 3 games.  $1,000,000/17=$58,824 x 3-games= $176,471.  He'd be crazy to turn down $200k.  

According to Bfine32, we'd also still have over $1.8-Million of cap left.   So we'd have to cut someone to make room on the roster.  Scharping or Carmen, as we only need to keep one if something happens to one of our OGs.  GOD forbid something happens to both OGs, then we'd have to move Karras to OG and Trey Hill goes to Center.  Karras played OG in NE, so this idea isn't a stretch. 

Bfine32-  Where'd you find a link to our available cap space?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 'holic said it for me: Chao is one of the least credible sports-related docs on the planet, case in point:

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/4/22/4251626/san-diego-chargers-doctor-david-chao-has-chaotic-past
https://helbocklaw.com/san-diego-chargers-doctor-history-medical-malpractice/ (more of the same)
https://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771 (a bit more tongue in cheek)

Everyone is different and everyone heals differently, etc. He doesn't even know the exact injury, so it is indeed, purely speculative.
Reading is fundamental. He did not give a timeline, he said they are worse than hamstrings. "I" said that may mean they are not back. Geeze.
Reply/Quote
Dude will have extra time to heal with that First Round Bye :)

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 10:43 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Dude will have extra time to heal with that First Round Bye :)

Let's hope.... Tiger Who Dey
Reply/Quote
Any word on Sam?

I say we go ahead and sign Terrell Lewis and release either Scharping or Carmen. If need be, we have Ted Karras, who could slide to OG so we can let one of these guys go to make room on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 12:29 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Any word on Sam?

I say we go ahead and sign Terrell Lewis and release either Scharping or Carmen.  If need be, we have Ted Karras, who could slide to OG so we can let one of these guys go to make room on the roster.

We'd still have to cut someone to sign him, who ya cutting? Regardless of cap space (and I tend to go spotrac over Over The Cap, though they both make mistakes) you still have to free a roster spot. 

Trey is practicing (limited). If not this week, then next. I really don't see us signing anyone unless Hubbard is ruled out for the year/IR'd. And I do not think that is likely. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 02:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We'd still have to cut someone to sign him, who ya cutting? Regardless of cap space (and I tend to go spotrac over Over The Cap, though they both make mistakes) you still have to free a roster spot. 

Trey is practicing (limited). If not this week, then next. I really don't see us signing anyone unless Hubbard is ruled out for the year/IR'd. And I do not think that is likely. 

I'd cut either Scharping or Carmen, as we don't need both but we need a DE more than ever.  Hendrickson needs to be out until at least the Buffalo game or the Baltimore game, no need to rush him back.  We win in NE, keep him on ice until Baltimore.  The AFC North is the goal, the rest is just icing on the cake. Having Hendrickson and or Hubbard near 100% is a must going into the playoffs.

I know you're probably going to ask, "What if both of our O-Guards get hurt?"  GOD forbid that happens---Then we've kept one of the aforementioned and we move Ted Karras to Guard.  Karras played OG during his tenure in New England and Belichick said Ted was outstanding at that position, so then we'd inset Trey Hill in at Center. 

There's your roster move,  and then we'd have a quality DE that's in shape and not off the street nor hurt before we get into the playoffs.  That also leaves us with $1.8-Million left in Cap.
Reply/Quote
No to cutting Scharping...
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:53 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: We could get this guy for around $200k.  As pointed out by another poster, Lewis is making $ 1 million a year, so we offer to pay him for 3 games.  $1,000,000/17=$58,824 x 3-games= $176,471.  He'd be crazy to turn down $200k.  

According to Bfine32, we'd also still have over $1.8-Million of cap left.   So we'd have to cut someone to make room on the roster.  Scharping or Carmen, as we only need to keep one if something happens to one of our OGs.  GOD forbid something happens to both OGs, then we'd have to move Karras to OG and Trey Hill goes to Center.  Karras played OG in NE, so this idea isn't a stretch. 

Bfine32-  Where'd you find a link to our available cap space?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 11:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Moving the Chains did their weekly interview with their sports medicine doctor today and he talked about it. It was not good news. He said calf strains are worse than hamstrings, and have more tendency to reoccur and be nagging. We may not see Hurst or Hubbard either one the rest of the year

Dr Chao’s opinions should probably be taken with a boulder of salt going forward. Just sayin.

Reply/Quote
I just got done dealing with some calf soreness and it’s not the worst shit that can happen to you but it’s ANNOYING. Same as a back or hamstring. They seem to never heal on the timeline you want. Nagging type thing. And for Sam it’s not like he can get rest during games on it.

If you are a WR and you get a bum shoulder you can at least run routes in a way where you shield your tender shoulder. As a rusher you generate power from your legs every second of every play so you can’t even try to play on a bad calf
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 12:29 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Any word on Sam?

I say we go ahead and sign Terrell Lewis and release either Scharping or Carmen. If need be, we have Ted Karras, who could slide to OG so we can let one of these guys go to make room on the roster.

Why in the heck would you change ANYTHING on the o-line right now when they are doing so good?

That’s a no for me.

At this point it’d be kinda an asshole move to cut ANYONE that’s been here since camp. Huber is the exception because his ass knew Drue was taking his job this year.

I would hate to cut anyone that was here since camp just to sign a guy who will become obsolete when everyone is healthy. I would much rather just depend on our depth
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 08:09 PM)Housh Wrote: Why in the heck would you change ANYTHING on the o-line right now when they are doing so good?

That’s a no for me.

At this point it’d be kinda an asshole move to cut ANYONE that’s been here since camp. Huber is the exception because his ass knew Drue was taking his job this year.

I would hate to cut anyone that was here since camp just to sign a guy who will become obsolete when everyone is healthy. I would much rather just depend on our depth

I agree, our depth has been coming through all season long.  Unless a starter goes down for the season, there are no disposable players on this team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 07:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Dr Chao’s opinions should probably be taken with a boulder of salt going forward. Just sayin.

And yet again, read my post. Chao never gave a timeline. Hurst missed how many weeks? How many weeks are left?
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 08:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And yet again, read my post. Chao never gave a timeline. Hurst missed how many weeks? How many weeks are left?

Sled, I think it was your summary that "We may not see Hurst or Hubbard either one the rest of the year" that caused some of us an irregular heart beat. That concern, at least with Hurst, has passed. Your report from Dr. Chao was appreciated, but the conversation that it lead to about Dr. Chao was invaluable, since it reminded us not to go over a cliff when we hear something from some doctor not associated with the team.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 08:09 PM)Housh Wrote: Why in the heck would you change ANYTHING on the o-line right now when they are doing so good?

That’s a no for me.

Cutting Scharping changes nothing on the Oline.

Your loyalty is what many around here hate about Mike Brown. Personally. I have no problem making a move to help a current issue than not do it in case something happens. 

We currently have a situational Edge rusher and a 4th RD pick out of Tulane as our starting DEs. We have 7th RD pick to rotate with them
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 07:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Just because Hurst said he felt good doing some drills doesn't mean he's going to be able to play an actual full game or not reaggrevate it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 09:19 PM)TheFan Wrote: Just because Hurst said he felt good doing some drills doesn't mean he's going to be able to play an actual full game or not reaggrevate it. 

Thanks for clearing that up.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 09:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Thanks for clearing that up.

The way you stated the we shouldn't listen to Dr. Chao  going forward made it seem like it was just because Hursts said he felt good. That's how I interpreted it at least. 

I don't know much about Dr. Chao but he likely knows more then everyone here combined when it comes to football injuries. Just because he's not always 100% right doesn't mean he's always wrong. It's been reported by others Hubbard may not be back in the regular season and who knows if Hurst will play this week. 

Again, hopefully both are back soon and have no other problems. But seems a bit premature to disregard someone's opinion based on one tweet about someone feeling good running routes. 
Reply/Quote