Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue's glad Andy is waving off play calls
Coley Harvey, ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Just before one of the six plays Andy Dalton ran Friday night, his offensive coordinator gave him a play he hated.

So he had the coach change it.

"A lot of people say that's a negative," Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said Monday. "That's a positive to me. That's where you want your quarterback to be. That's the kind of relationship that you want to have with him where he can feel comfortable and say, 'Not that one.'"

Beyond viewing Dalton's veto ability as a positive, Jackson also sees it as a sign the fifth-year veteran is continuing to grow in his system and take complete ownership of the team and offense.

"This is his offense," Jackson said. "We create a lot of synergy among our players and our group by giving them that kind of trust and that kind of responsibility.

"Andy showed where he is [Friday]. He's growing in a lot of different ways, which is really good."

Full article
Reply/Quote
So... I'm assuming the play was successful?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe he should have done that vs Indy.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:10 PM)Benton Wrote: So... I'm assuming the play was successful?

Not sure of the exact play, but according to Hue...

"I said, I got you. Gave him something else," Jackson said. "We come back and then [a play or two later] throw a touchdown pass."
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "Andy showed where he is [Friday]. He's growing in a lot of different ways, which is really good."

Sounds like he is really taking to the leadership baton that Whit passed to him in that way. And that's a good thing.

I heard his first step as newly appointed team leader is to commission Mrs. Dalton, sweet lady she is, to bring these for the whole team before games prior to her son's pre-game hype speeches:

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
More leadership and smarts is what we need out of AD. Good news.

I think Hue was trying to mold AD into something he was not last year and hence his poor play.

Dalton can be a really good QB as long as he is not overthinking things. Have fun, get into a rhythm and play football.
Reply/Quote
Hue > Marvin
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe he should have done that vs Indy.

Agreed.  Send Tate and Little back to the sideline for a better option.
Reply/Quote
As long as we win a QB waving off calls is called leadership, but if things go south people are going to start saying he's got discipline issues. Brace yourself for predictable blow-back, just in case!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Not sure of the exact play, but according to Hue...

"I said, I got you. Gave him something else," Jackson said. "We come back and then [a play or two later] throw a touchdown pass."

From that and the Andy being 3-for-3 and there not being that many plays on that drive, I was just guessing it was. I didn't get to see the game, just the stats after.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:10 PM)Benton Wrote: So... I'm assuming the play was successful?

they only had 6 plays i believe all for positive yardage

if im guessing based on the line he says a play or 2 later.. im guessing it was the bootleg to AJ
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  Send Tate and Little back to the sideline for a better option.

WHat other options???????????????????????
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 03:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: WHat other options???????????????????????

They shouldn't have to actually see the field. 
Green, Eifert, Jones, Sanu, Kroft, Burkhead, Bernard, Hill, Hewitt.

Plenty of good options. 
Reply/Quote
This sounds ridiculous for the NFL level but if they can get Andy to just not shoot the team in the foot, then the Bengals can be successful. There....I said it.
Reply/Quote
A little disappointed that it took until season 5 for him to start displaying this kind of leadership, but better late than never.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 04:20 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: This sounds ridiculous for the NFL level but if they can get Andy to just not shoot the team in the foot, then the Bengals can be successful. There....I said it.

IF his targets stay healthy and on the field im sure that will help this year be better than last

(08-18-2015, 03:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: They shouldn't have to actually see the field.
Green, Eifert, Jones, Sanu, Kroft, Burkhead, Bernard, Hill, Hewitt.

Plenty of good options.

im talking about the COLTS game referenced in the post i quoted.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 04:58 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: A little disappointed that it took until season 5 for him to start displaying this kind of leadership, but better late than never.

Marvin's never struck me as the kind of guy who takes a lot of player opinion into his decisions. That may have held back Andy trying to assert himself more. 
Reply/Quote
It took to just now for Andy to wave off plays? That's ridiculous. Watch Peyton Manning, he tells the coach to change the play all the time. Maybe this will be a graduation for Dalton, and he can start seeing tendencies by the defense and start calling successful plays.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 05:24 PM)Lewdog Wrote: It took to just now for Andy to wave off plays?  That's ridiculous.  Watch Peyton Manning, he tells the coach to change the play all the time.  Maybe this will be a graduation for Dalton, and he can start seeing tendencies by the defense and start calling successful plays.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Manning
Career history
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Dalton
Cincinnati Bengals (2011–present)

2011-1998=13 years. Perspective.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 05:24 PM)Lewdog Wrote: It took to just now for Andy to wave off plays?  That's ridiculous.  Watch Peyton Manning, he tells the coach to change the play all the time.  Maybe this will be a graduation for Dalton, and he can start seeing tendencies by the defense and start calling successful plays.

LOL cause most QBs waive off plays....

Maybe a handful of guysn at most are afforded that opportunity.
Reply/Quote