Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurst to Panthers
We only have 7 picks but everyone keeps mentioning who we will take early to address these losses. So which is it? TE, RB, OT, SS.... This is looking like a 2 year rebuild. 7 picks isn't enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hurst was basically CJ and the next person in this offense will be similar. The role in this offense will always be pretty similar in terms of output unless we put a physical freak there who adds a lot more after the catch. We can plug another mid tier TE here and be fine.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: We are rebuilding folks. That's what we are witnessing. Hard pill to swallow but here we are.

I can’t wait to read your doom and gloom when we actually rebuild. This is more of a retooling. Losing hurst isn’t the end of the world. His stats are easily replaced

Actually I can wait because it’ll be awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:01 AM)Garrus Wrote: I am fine with this; Hurst was a mid TE just like CJ was and can be easily and cheaply replaced. People freaking out over us losing mid talent at devalued positions need to chill. If we overpay to keep everyone, then we won't have the money to resign the important players/positions going forward.

He was not "mid." He was pretty freaking good last year. You can make the argument that a 3 year commitment would be too much, but let's not revise history and act like he didn't have a great season. If not for the injury he was having a pro bowl caliber campaign. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:05 AM)Au165 Wrote: Hurst was basically CJ and the next person in this offense will be similar. The role in this offense will always be pretty similar in terms of output unless we put a physical freak there who adds a lot more after the catch. We can plug another mid tier TE here and be fine.

That's where I am at when it comes to the TE position. With as much cover 2 as the Bengals seen last year the TE matchup is huge and one that can add yards after the catch well they are rare... That's why the league is higher on Luke Musgrave than the media and draftniks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I liked Hurst, but think he was somewhat overrated by the board.

Indeed. I liked him too and wish he would have stayed but this isn’t a major loss. Not ready to sign an average 30 year old te

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:05 AM)Au165 Wrote: Hurst was basically CJ and the next person in this offense will be similar. The role in this offense will always be pretty similar in terms of output unless we put a physical freak there who adds a lot more after the catch. We can plug another mid tier TE here and be fine.

Agreed.  I like Hurst, but the guy was a career backup who came in on a one year prove it deal.  Much like with CJ, the offense and surrounding talent made him look better than he actually is.
Reply/Quote
This free agency has been very disappointing so far
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Teams treating the Bengals like Target.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:50 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: For a team whose message was to retain their own guys this offseason, they are doing a pretty poor job at it.

I second that emotion. 

I mean, we had 5 starter level guys who were FAs this year: Bates, Bell, Pratt, Apple, & Husrt. Perine was the most significant backup. We had the 6th highest amount of cap space in the league. And the ability to create more pretty easily (Mixon). 

Of those 6: 4 are gone. Bates was expensive and Peeine wiuld have made for a pricey RB2, so those I get. Do not know #'s on Hurst yet. But Bell was reasonable.

Pratt is back on a great deal. But we have not signed ANYONE else. I am not going all chicken little here, there is still time. But the line Duke trotted out was obvious BS. Makes me think other stuff may be as well,,like spending to the cap.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:06 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He was not "mid." He was pretty freaking good last year. You can make the argument that a 3 year commitment would be too much, but let's not revise history and act like he didn't have a great season. If not for the injury he was having a pro bowl caliber campaign. 

Are you sure they are the ones revising history? He averaged 31 yards per game last season. Over a full 17 game season, that's 540 yards and 3 TDs. That would have ranked 14th in receiving yards for TEs and tied for 18th in TDs. Maybe we have different standards, but I think saying he was just "fine" or something equivalent to that is pretty accurate.

I certainly wouldn't classify him as great or a Pro Bowler. 
Reply/Quote
When the front office stated they were going
To keep their OWN...they really meant players
They drafted , not FA acquisitions.
Hurst was a fine 1 year TE but we need more
Dynamic playmaking ability out of that position
Maybe Hurst heard rumblings that the Bengals
Are targeting TEs in the draft and felt he could
Get more snaps in Carolina
The Bengals have made the AFC Title game
With 2 different starting TEs. So lets not have
A melt down over a TE that averaged less than
10 YPC.
Reply/Quote
Bengals drafting a TE this year in a TE heavy draft is a good thing. I have no issues with Hurst leaving. The guy did great here. Loved him. But this was always a payday stop for Hurst. Glad he got paid.
Reply/Quote
Disappointed with this as I liked Hurst, but not like he was a 'absolutely must keep' either. None of us would've wanted to sign him for three years I imagine, and money probably a thing on this one too. Getting outbid in Free Agency isn't the be all and end all, but overpaying to have kept these guys would have but the team in a bind moving forward. Disappointed to lose Bell in particular, Hurst going is just a slight shame. I think it's clear that the direction here is to try and keep all the main stars on offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:06 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He was not "mid." He was pretty freaking good last year. You can make the argument that a 3 year commitment would be too much, but let's not revise history and act like he didn't have a great season. If not for the injury he was having a pro bowl caliber campaign. 

Hurst played 13 games and finished with 52/414/2. Over 17 games they 68/541/2.5

Kelce -110/1,338/12
Andrews - 73/850/5
Engram - 73/766/4
Pat frier- 63/730/2
Njokue- 58/628/4

So even if hurst didn’t get injured, seriously doubt he gets a sniff. In reality, no tight end will get enough opportunities (as long as we have Chase, tee and boyd) to put up pro bowl worthy stats.

I also think, any competent tight end (like austin hooper) could easily replicate CJ and hursts production from the last two years.

This is a team friendly offense for a tight end to have a good, not great, year.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:03 AM)jj22 Wrote: We only have 7 picks but everyone keeps mentioning who we will take early to address these losses. So which is it? TE, RB, OT, SS.... This is looking like a 2 year rebuild. 7 picks isn't enough.

At the moment we NEED: 

1) Starting FS 
2) Starting TE 
----------- 
3) OG depth 
4) + 5) CB depth (1-2)
6) TE2 
7) RB2 
8) WR4
9) P upgrade 

Some additional pass rush or a future plan at OT would also be welcome. 

That's 11 if I had my druthers. I am assuming some of these needs will get filled in FA. We do have a lot of cap space. 2024 Comp picks may help some, too. 
Reply/Quote
How are the numbers going to play out with Chase and Burrow?

Wouldn’t be out of the ballpark to see 45m for Burrow, 25m for Chase? Are we planning on extending one of the other WRs?

NFL is having a weird FA. Key signed for 7m then Daniel Jones signed for 40m. I fully expect Lamar Jackson to do something stupid. Hopefully this will crash the QB market.
Reply/Quote
Opens the door to draft Mayer!

Hurst was, at best, average.

In a deep tight end class, we’ll get someone better, even if not Mayer, and we’ll have more money for other FAs and for our own guys.

Also, a few surprise cuts always happen, so we might be able to find good players later.

I trust Zac more than I trust myself or anyone else outside of the organization.
Reply/Quote
We shoulda beat that man on his last legs (Stafford). Burrow is going to have to bring a bunch of rookies to the SB somehow. Seems crazy to keep Mixon over Perine, Mixon's time is up even if he modifies his contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: El Oh El

This is almost laughable.
Or maybe I'm just so disappointed that the only thing to do is laugh.

How do you have the 5th most cap space in the league but you lose both your starting safeties (one was expected), your RB2 who honestly performed about as well as your overpaid starter, and your starting TE?

I really hope the Bengals bring in some replacements by the end of the week, otherwise the draft is going to be hampered by going after needs.

Agree some replacements will have to be added in FA. Or the draft will not be able to fill all the Bengals needs and televise what the Bengals will be seeking allowing teams to trade in front of them if seeking the same player. 

Liked Hurst but Bengals but he was only a Bengal for one year and they went to the SB without him. Burrow has turned 2 TE's that had done nothing before into serviceable players and expect he will do it again.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote