Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurst to Panthers
(03-15-2023, 11:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: He brought the energy and Effort every play it seemed

I agree. He would be considered an energy player in the NBA.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:28 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Opens the door to draft Mayer!

Hurst was, at best, average.

In a deep tight end class, we’ll get someone better, even if not Mayer, and we’ll have more money for other FAs and for our own guys.

Also, a few surprise cuts always happen, so we might be able to find good players later.

I trust Zac more than I trust myself or anyone else outside of the organization.

Problem is, unless they sign free agents, the Bengals are going to have a lot of needs to fill with those first two picks in the draft, and late round picks at that. Sure, would love Mayer. But then maybe miss on a safety, or OL, or RB. Some of these will have to be filled as free agents.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:17 PM)Nepa Wrote: Problem is, unless they sign free agents, the Bengals are going to have a lot of needs to fill with those first two picks in the draft, and late round picks at that. Sure, would love Mayer. But then maybe miss on a safety, or OL, or RB. Some of these will have to be filled as free agents.

The Bengals are letting the league spend themselves out. Then, they'll swoop in and get guys for pennies on the dollar.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: More like a retooling. Didn’t hurt the Chiefs none this past season.

The Chiefs had a lot of free agent signings in 2022: JuJu Smith-Schuster, receiver; Marquez Valdes-Scantling, receiver; Justin Reid, safety;  Ronald Jones, running back.; Geron Christian, OT; Elijah Lee, linebacker.Chad Henne, QB; Jermaine Carter, LB; Taylor Stallworth, DT.

the book is still be written for the Bengals, but they will need to start filling key positions, as the Chiefs did. Perhaps, as The Pistons said, they will wait until they can get guys for pennies on the dollar.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:21 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Chiefs had a lot of free agent signings in 2022: JuJu Smith-Schuster, receiver; Marquez Valdes-Scantling, receiver; Justin Reid, safety; Orlando Brown Jr., left tackle; Ronald Jones, running back.; Geron Christian, OT; Andrew Wylie, offensive tackle; Elijah Lee, linebacker.

the book is still be written for the Bengals, but they will need to start filling key positions, as the Chiefs did. Perhaps, as The Pistons said, they will wait until they can get guys for pennies on the dollar.

I honestly don't know how the Chiefs do it.
Reply/Quote
I liked Hirst but no need to act like this is a huge loss. They will get a decent TE and that’s all they need. The TE on this team isn’t going to put up big numbers because he’s always going to be the 4th or 5th option in the pass game.

You all need to realize that the Bengals are the Leonardo DiCaprio of the NFL - once you turn 30 they got no use for you anymore.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:29 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I liked Hirst but no need to act like this is a huge loss. They will get a decent TE and that’s all they need. The TE on this team isn’t going to put up big numbers because he’s always going to be the 4th or 5th option in the pass game.

You all need to realize that the Bengals are the Leonardo DiCaprio of the NFL - once you turn 30 they got no use for you anymore.

I thought Leo was dating girls under the legal drinking age... lol 20
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't go that far.
Hurst's best season was actually with the Falcons.
2020 - 56 rec for 571 yards (10.2 YPC) and 6 TDs

Hurst had just 4 more receptions that season than he did with the Bengals in the regular season, showing it was a severe drop in YPC.
He did perform better in the playoffs though, putting up 13 rec for 141 yards and a TD at 10.8 YPR.

Hurst did everything the Bengals asked him to do and did it well.  Not his fault the OL was shabby and Burrow had to start throwing quicker. If the OL was better and he added just one or two long catches his #'s would be much higher. 

The Falcons notoriously use TE's in their offense much more than the Bengals as well.

Believe Hurst received 88 targets catching 56 in that 2020 season and only 68 targets catching 52 in the Bengals offense. So in Atlanta he got targeted 20 more times yet only caught 4 more passes.  Plus the Playoffs is what really tells the tale in my book anyway  where Hayden upped his #'s against elite competition with 3 OL injured and no time for deep routes to even be run. He was learning a new offense too so not uncommon to be more up to par at the seasons end, especially with not much preseason play.

Anyway it's my opinion that Hurst will rank amongst the top TE's on new team unlike Uzomah who rode Burrow's coattail. He will be missed but the Bengals offense is not fueled solely by TE's and he can be replaced. 

It's not only Burrow who makes most TE's serviceable here imo but the coverage the WR's draw away from them. 

Best wishes to Hurst 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I thought Leo was dating girls under the legal drinking age... lol 20

Probably but the Bengals can’t draft them that young!
Reply/Quote
Contract is 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:06 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He was not "mid." He was pretty freaking good last year. You can make the argument that a 3 year commitment would be too much, but let's not revise history and act like he didn't have a great season. If not for the injury he was having a pro bowl caliber campaign. 

He had a similar year to CJ had hus last year. Better in some areas but worse in others. I would have let him walk like CJ  for the $$ panthers probably paid.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:32 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hurst did everything the Bengals asked him to do and did it well.  Not his fault the OL was shabby and Burrow had to start throwing quicker. If the OL was better and he added just one or two long catches his #'s would be much higher. 

The Falcons notoriously use TE's in their offense much more than the Bengals as well.

Believe Hurst received 88 targets catching 56 in that 2020 season and only 68 targets catching 52 in the Bengals offense. So in Atlanta he got targeted 20 more times yet only caught 4 more passes.  Plus the Playoffs is what really tells the tale in my book anyway  where Hayden upped his #'s against elite competition with 3 OL injured and no time for deep routes to even be run. He was learning a new offense too so not uncommon to be more up to par at the seasons end, especially with not much preseason play.

Anyway it's my opinion that Hurst will rank amongst the top TE's on new team unlike Uzomah who rode Burrow's coattail. He will be missed but the Bengals offense is not fueled solely by TE's and he can be replaced. 

It's not only Burrow who makes most TE's serviceable here imo but the coverage the WR's draw away from them. 

Best wishes to Hurst 
One problem with your post is the line was worse with CJ, Hurst like CJ not worth the contract with the way we use TEs, a rookie with upside is.
Reply/Quote
This is what having 2 100M dollar WRs looks like. Your TE and RB positions are going to be bargain bin guys.

With as mad as i am about free agency i am fully aware that this means we are probably keeping Tee. We aren’t going to give an outside FA a 20M per contract so i think we are being smart and making sure signing Burrow, Tee and Chase aren’t issues.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I remember how Hurst claimed he finally found a home in Cinci and finally found a place he could call home, a staff that understood how to use him etc etc....... Players go where their agents get them the money to go. Take note to those thinking they decide where to go.

Tee's agent is going to get him the guaranteed money....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:52 PM)Housh Wrote: This is what having 2 100M dollar WRs looks like. Your TE and RB positions are going to be bargain bin guys.

With as mad as i am about free agency i am fully aware that this means we are probably keeping Tee. We aren’t going to give an outside FA a 20M per contract so i think we are being smart and making sure signing Burrow, Tee and Chase aren’t issues.

Now work to ensure Burrow always has a good OL protecting him and hope the draft keeps the defense solid.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:52 PM)Housh Wrote: This is what having 2 100M dollar WRs looks like. Your TE and RB positions are going to be bargain bin guys.

I didn't expect any big outside FA signings because the Bengals said as much a couple weeks ago that they wouldn't.
However, they did say they were going to focus on re-signing their guys, and we're seeing that not happen, which is the frustrating part.

The Bengals seem to operate under a caveat that they're only willing to pay X amount of money, guaranteed money, and/or years for players at certain positions, and they'll replace guys with someone who will fit within their constraints.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:54 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Now work to ensure Burrow always has a good OL protecting him and hope the draft keeps the defense solid.

That’s what I’m thinking

Burrow with a great line and bargain bin skill players after Tee and Chase is still a perennial AFC championship game team .
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:21 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Chiefs had a lot of free agent signings in 2022: JuJu Smith-Schuster, receiver; Marquez Valdes-Scantling, receiver; Justin Reid, safety;  Ronald Jones, running back.; Geron Christian, OT; Elijah Lee, linebacker.Chad Henne, QB; Jermaine Carter, LB; Taylor Stallworth, DT.

Right. They had to to replace the guys they lost or traded away. Hence “retooling.”

There’s no reason we can’t have a similar offseason. None of those players you listed were high end tier 1 players.

Reply/Quote
Has the Hurst contract been released?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 01:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right. They had to to replace the guys they lost or traded away. Hence “retooling.”

There’s no reason we can’t have a similar offseason. None of those players you listed were high end tier 1 players.

Yep. None of the guys we signed were high end. We can still sign Tier 2 and 3 guys.

Now, they gotta just do it. I think that's where some people are being impatient.
Reply/Quote