Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurst to Panthers
(03-15-2023, 10:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: We are rebuilding folks. That's what we are witnessing. Hard pill to swallow but here we are.

It’s actually a strong sign they’re going to pay tee and chase.

Burrow and Chase are locks to get paid. Choose between: Tee Higgins(25M) or Hurst(don’t know numbers yet but let’s say 6M), Perine(3.5M), and bates(16M) (bell will get replaced w a f veteran fa).

Those 3 equal 25/year. I’ll definitely chose Higgins
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I liked Hurst, but think he was somewhat overrated by the board.

He brought the energy and Effort every play it seemed
Reply/Quote
Liked Hurst wish he could have stayed. With that being said if the line protects Burrow we have more then enough weapons to score a bunch with are WR's. Are skill group is still better than the Chiefs and Eagles in my opinion. The only difference is the Eagles and Chiefs have two of the best lines in the league. Think we can sign a solid vet in FA and draft a TE at some point. I wouldn't make it a 1st round priority unless it's the best player available.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:06 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He was not "mid." He was pretty freaking good last year. You can make the argument that a 3 year commitment would be too much, but let's not revise history and act like he didn't have a great season. If not for the injury he was having a pro bowl caliber campaign. 

I don't think he was needed all that much.  I made this point in another thread and I will make it again.  Hurst was injured late in the season and missed several games.  We won every game Hurst missed.  He wasn't needed and his loss had very little impact.  We can easily find someone to replace him and at a cheaper cost.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:10 AM)Trademark Wrote: This free agency has been very disappointing so far

I am still in wait and see mode. 

The Offensive side of the ball is returning a vast majority of starters and our Offensive Line starters that were injured last year should return healthy.
I don't like losing Hurst but let's see if the Bengals have a Plan for a tight end that can catch in the 500 to 700 yard range for next season.

Dax Hill was selected first round last year to ease some of the Safety loss pain now. It looks like Pratt is staying. Vonn Bell's veteran presence will be missed.
Starting Cornerback Awuzie missed the 2nd half of last season and should be back. 

The Draft and moves that the Bengals can still make in Free Agency offer good opportunities to handle these losses while saving the Money the Bengals want to save for other Contracts. They just need to Hit on the moves they make.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: We are rebuilding folks. That's what we are witnessing. Hard pill to swallow but here we are.

More like a retooling. Didn’t hurt the Chiefs none this past season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

It's more of a retool. The Bengals are a good team and thus will lose players. Duke, Zac, and the organization will have to retool from year-to-year to keep us competitive.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:06 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I can’t wait to read your doom and gloom when we actually rebuild.  This is more of a retooling.  Losing hurst isn’t the end of the world.  His stats are easily replaced

Actually I can wait because it’ll be awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuild, Reboot, Retool. Ok Marvin Lewis's, whatever you want to call it....

It isn't win now. We can all agree with that. Which is where we should have been.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I really hope the Bengals bring in some replacements by the end of the week, otherwise the draft is going to be hampered by going after needs.

& what if the draft doesn't fall the way the Bengals need it to? What if all the projected TEs in round 1 are gone before pick 28? There does need to be some roster retooling prior to the draft to help them draft from a position of better roster-need understanding.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:42 AM)jj22 Wrote: Rebuild, Reboot, Retool. Ok Marvin Lewis's, whatever you want to call it....

It isn't win now. We can all agree with that. Which is where we should have been.

Too soon to tell if it isn’t “win now”. As far as I can tell, still a LOT of guys available that could make immediate contributions.

If we had resigned perine and hurst, would you consider that “win now”?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:42 AM)jj22 Wrote: Rebuild, Reboot, Retool. Ok Marvin Lewis, whatever you want to call it....

It isn't win now. We can all agree with that.  Which is where we should have been.

It's not a play on words. I think most fans associate rebuild with a losing team who just landed the #1 pick. Exemplified by the Bengals in the couple of seasons before picking Burrow. Now that we've made the playoffs two years in a row and won the AFC championship once, this team is still intent on contending and not rebuilding.

Retooling isn't a spin job to appease fans but rather an acknowledgment the roster needs some offseason restoring and attention to maintain the success experienced from the last two seasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:42 AM)jj22 Wrote: Rebuild, Reboot, Retool. Ok Marvin Lewis's, whatever you want to call it....

I’ll call it what it is. A retooling. If you don’t know difference go look it up Webster.

Free agency isn’t over yet. There are still good players out there we could sign. The bengals haven’t shown me anything yet that says they aren’t trying to win. Calm the frick down

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:32 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree some replacements will have to be added in FA. Or the draft will not be able to fill all the Bengals needs and televise what the Bengals will be seeking allowing teams to trade in front of them if seeking the same player. 

Liked Hurst but Bengals but he was only a Bengal for one year and they went to the SB without him. Burrow has turned 2 TE's that had done nothing before into serviceable players and expect he will do it again.  

I wouldn't go that far.
Hurst's best season was actually with the Falcons.
2020 - 56 rec for 571 yards (10.2 YPC) and 6 TDs

Hurst had just 4 more receptions that season than he did with the Bengals in the regular season, showing it was a severe drop in YPC.
He did perform better in the playoffs though, putting up 13 rec for 141 yards and a TD at 10.8 YPR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

It isn't win now. We can all agree with that.  Which is where we should have been.

Idk I feel like we have too many young cornerstones to go in all out win right now which usually results in a true rebuild after a few years when you shell out way more resources than you have to win. Look at the Rams now, but they had an aging veteran QB.
Reply/Quote
Good, I didn't like this dude. Talked way too much for so little production.
Reply/Quote
We'll sign Zeke Elliott.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, uh, I heard about this last night. The GM and Assistant GM’s sons play High School football with my son. The Assistant GM’s son texted my son asking about Hurst (he knows we are Bengal fans). My son actually told him he wasn’t very good and that’s the reason we didn’t re-sign him, joking of course because we’d like Hurst to stay. Didn’t work.

I would have posted something last night, but, he had asked my son not to say anything. Plus, it wasn’t 100% guaranteed at the time.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:45 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Too soon to tell if it isn’t “win now”.  As far as I can tell, still a LOT of guys available that could make immediate contributions.

If we had resigned perine and hurst, would you consider that “win now”?

We'd be signing and drafting guys to replace talent. That isn't win now. It's rebuilding/rebooting/retooling... We need pieces on top of what we had. Pieces that would put us over the edge. Or improve on positions we needed improvement on (LT, RT, RB1). We've created holes. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:49 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I’ll call it what it is.  A retooling.  If you don’t know difference go look it up Webster.  

Free agency isn’t over yet.  There are still good players out there we could sign.  The bengals haven’t shown me anything yet that says they aren’t trying to win.  Calm the frick down

What have they shown you? 

Reply/Quote
So, are we officially out of TE’s? Are we going two have 3 OT’s line up all the time now?
Reply/Quote