Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Can't Wait Until the End of the Year Press Conference
As most of you know, and for those that don't, the Bengals always hold an end of the year press conference. It's usually Mike Brown and the coach recapping and giving their thoughts on the season. And it kind if serves as a "state of the Bengals", with questions and answers on the recent performance and plans moving forward. It's always carried live by 700 or 1530, and is often carried by the local tv stations.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO GET HERE!

I've been counting the days since about 0-6. I'm sure some will scoff at this remark, or find the need to somehow turn this statement into a negative. So be it.

This singular event will tell you more about the state of the team and what you may expect in the future than any other interview or statement made in the other 364 days in the year.

Keep in mind, the Front Office, and Mike especially, rarely if ever make themselves available to the media. As far as I know and can remember, Mike only publically interacts with the media 2 times a year: This press conference, and the Bengals "Turtle Soup" luncheon.

This year should be a must-watch/listen for fans. Like I said, you can learn a lot about how they respond and phrase their answers.

Will changes be announced? Will sincere frustration, apologies be made? Will plans be announced? How will they come off?

I just hope they learned their lesson from the disaster that was the press conference after 2010. Now is NOT the time to be defensive and patronizing. It's not the time to reference head-scratchingbstats like "We're 7th in the league in players drafted who are still on the team."

You may actually learn very little about their plans or changes, if they even have any in mind. But you'll learn a ton about how they view this team and their fans.

Look at all those empty seats, and then imagine how many season ticket holders and box owners are contemplating not renewing. This is a BIG deal.

So how will they respond? That's the million dollar question. And I can't wait to find out.

Get ya popcorn ready... this will be the most exciting thing they've offered up in months.
Reply/Quote
"We did some good things.."
"There were some improvements"
"Our fans deserve _____.." (A swift kick in the balls for being fans at all would be my favored response) 
and finally.. "We're brazillianaires so we don't have to listen you you lowly fans"..and "Wait! how many is a Brazilian?" 

If you truly believe Mike Brown will reveal some master strategy to bring a super bowl to Cincinnati just learn how to spell every other city with NFL franchises properly. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 04:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: As most of you know, and for those that don't, the Bengals always hold an end of the year press conference. It's usually Mike Brown and the coach recapping and giving their thoughts on the season. And it kind if serves as a "state of the Bengals", with questions and answers on the recent performance and plans moving forward. It's always carried live by 700 or 1530, and is often carried by the local tv stations.

I've been counting the days since about 0-6. I'm sure some will scoff at this remark, or find the need to somehow turn this statement into a negative. So be it.

This singular event will tell you more about the state of the team and what you may expect in the future than any other interview or statement made in the other 364 days in the year.

Keep in mind, the Front Office, and Mike especially, rarely if ever make themselves available to the media. As far as I know and can remember, Mike only publically interacts with the media 2 times a year: This press conference, and the Bengals "Turtle Soup" luncheon.

This year should be a must-watch/listen for fans. Like I said, you can learn a lot about how they respond and phrase their answers.

Will changes be announced? Will sincere frustration, apologies be made? Will plans be announced? How will they come off?

I just hope they learned their lesson from the disaster that was the press conference after 2010. Now is NOT the time to be defensive and patronizing. It's not the time to reference head-scratchingbstats like "We're 7th in the league in players drafted who are still on the team."

You may actually learn very little about their plans or changes, if they even have any in mind. But you'll learn a ton about how they view this team and their fans.

Look at all those empty seats, and then imagine how many season ticket holders and box owners are contemplating not renewing. This is a BIG deal.

So how will they respond? That's the million dollar question. And I can't wait to find out.

Get ya popcorn ready... this will be the most exciting thing they've offered up in months.

Lukewarm assurances and blaming injuries/misfortune will be the order of the day. The icing on the cake will be some comment about retaining the highest percentage of drafted players and equating it to “success”.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Get ya popcorn ready... this will be the most exciting thing they've offered up in months.
Somehow the words Mike Brown and exciting don't belong in the same language much less sentence. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 04:40 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Lukewarm assurances and blaming injuries/misfortune will be the order of the day.  The icing on the cake will be some comment about retaining the highest percentage of drafted players and equating it to “success”.

You forgot the catchy phrase, "Home grown talent" as if to imply the bengals have some baby factory under the stadium where children are taught from day one how to become NFL superstars.. Mostly I expect to hear, "We had a few players get DINGED up a bit..." 

Reply/Quote
"We had a disappointing year, but improved statistically towards the end of the year...which trends in the right direction for next season.'

Honestly, I feel like the things Zac says in his press conference are things that management believes.
Reply/Quote
Just to be clear, I'm not at all expecting anything of note, regarding changes or plans to be introduced. It could, but my hopes are not high.

The entertainment value, at least for me, will be their regardless. Even if nothing is said, that almost says eveything.

This is a big deal for them. It's one of a few, if not only, opportunites to directly reach their fanbase. And they need to desperately accomplish something here.

Logic would tell you that they'd realize this and that they'd have a calculated and planned response and performance for this event. Logic dictates they need to create goodwill moving forward, while also presenting accountability for lack of results. Of course this was all true in 2010 too, yet they used this platform to only further damage their public perception.

I'm just curious to see what they offer up. Have they learned anything? Are there any attempts made to improve their relationship with their fans and this community? Or is it just the same ol', same ol'

If it is just a repeat of previous years I expect the reaction and result to be disastrous. Worse than ever before. They badly need a "home-run" here or I fear support will drop to levels beyond that of the 90's.

I just can't wait to see if they realize this, or if they even care. Can they be so stupid to trot out the same old song and dance? Are they really that stupid?

I guess we'll find out in 3 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 04:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: As most of you know, and for those that don't, the Bengals always hold an end of the year press conference. It's usually Mike Brown and the coach recapping and giving their thoughts on the season. And it kind if serves as a "state of the Bengals", with questions and answers on the recent performance and plans moving forward. It's always carried live by 700 or 1530, and is often carried by the local tv stations.

Oh yes.  The infamous "end of the year" press conference.  This year should be epic.  Not even Baghdad Bob can spin this season into anything beyond the shitstorm it is -- but Mike Brown will try.  Remember, the goal of this press conference is to keep kicking the can; a Super Bowl is always five years away.

Let's prognosticate a bit.  Mike Brown will attempt to wax eloquently on quarterback play because it's the only position he remotely understands.  He'll say, just as he did in 2011 when Andy Dalton first came to town, that the new guy will need time to "cut his teeth" in the Bengals' system.  Of all the Mikey Boy-isms, "cut his teeth" is even more annoying to me than "kick the tires."

Mike Brown won't mention the draft.  I think he thinks it's a kind of beer -- and he doesn't drink.

He'll say improvements were made especially on special teams, ignorant of the fact that punting ten times per game is excessive.

I'll be impressed if he mentions free agency.  I'm surprised Mike Brown doesn't like free agency especially when the word "free" is part of the phrase.

Mikey Boy will compliment Zac Taylor, calling him a "smart young man" with a "bright future" in Cincinnati.

He'll conclude with some platitudes about being competitive, then avoid a few questions. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 04:40 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Lukewarm assurances and blaming injuries/misfortune will be the order of the day.  The icing on the cake will be some comment about retaining the highest percentage of drafted players and equating it to “success”.

Yep

Mike Brown give his usual monotone, coming across as very smug and arrogant speech. About 10 words into it you'll know he hates to have to lower himself to speaking to the peons.

The excuses will flow. Late start for HC, injuries will be cited several times. Took time to get scheme together yada, yada. Then like you say they'll start bringing up some meaningless stats spun up from hell and try and tout them as "success". Retaining players, improvement in running game, defense got better so on.

Sick Sick Sick
Reply/Quote
I predict no matter what they say you will interpret it to mean whatever you want.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I predict no matter what they say you will interpret it to mean whatever you want.

perception is reality
Reply/Quote
The real question is what would any of you say if you were in Mikes position?

I predict Mike will say exactly what each and every one of you would say, i.e. "We had a bad year and we will try to be better next year."

Then you will all get your squeal on about how Mike said he was a super genius and all fans are stupid.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The real question is what would any of you say if you were in Mikes position?

Perhaps, after 3 decades of failure I should hire a real GM ?

Course any of us would have realized that 25 years ago so....
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Perhaps, after 3 decades of failure I should hire a real GM ?

The only GM around here is Mike's '91 Lumina.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Perhaps, after 3 decades of failure I should hire a real GM ?

Eh...they'll give a generic 'We'll evaluate all options to improve this team for next year.'

The Cincy Press will lob them softballs to hit too.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The real question is what would any of you say if you were in Mikes position?

I'll take a stab at that... (While this will read more like a speech, it could be broken and serve as seperate responses and statements typically made in a press conference)

Mike Brown (If it were me):

Look, let's be honest here... the results this season were not up to par. In fact, they were nowhere close to a success. We failed as a team, and we've failed our fans. This is unacceptable and we intend on fixing it.

We of course I understand the frustrations from our fans. Hell, any fanbase would be frustrated with these results. And we are frustrated too. I don't mean that to sound like a condolence, but only to say that we're in agreement that improvement needs to made.

I know many would like to hear specifics about how plans moving forward, and while I understand that need to know, we need to take time to thouroughly evaluate our organization and plan accordindly. This will not happen overnight, but will happen through the offseason. But be assured it will happen.

Let me say this: We intend to evaluate everything. From the top to the bottom. From our management, to our coaches, to our players, to our supporting staff. Every area will be examined, every avenue explored, and every resource used. Whatever we need to do to succeed and insure our success will be done.

I also understand that I've been viewed as somewhat adverse to change, and that is probably fair. But believe me when I tell you that if change means success then Im for it. Change is inevitable when fixing a 1-15 team. I don't plan on resisting it. There will be changes.

I wish I could unveil a master plan, and a succint easy fix but wont do that today. And I also won't ask for your patience or faith either. I can only offer that we will do eveything we can to make this right.

We owe our fans such a great deal. Cincinnati fans are the best in the world. We cannot thank you enough for your support. We intend on earning it moving forward.

As the offseason progress it is my belief that a clear plan will take shape. One we hope that our people can see and get on board with. We WILL be aggressive in our approach and we WILL make it known that we intend to win. That I can I promise.

Lastly, one thing I can briefly comment on is an event we are planning for this year.  This will be the inagural year of The Bengals Blast. It will a free, all weekend event hosted at PBS.There are many details to iron out but the gist of it is basically a fan fest. We will have numerous current and former players in attendance, along with a slew of a activities and entertainment. All proceeds from merchandise and signings will go to our community fund.

I know we have much to do to right this ship but please know we are trying, and will continue to try, to do everything we can. I thank you or your time.
Reply/Quote

Over the last decade and a half the Bengal are in the top half of the league in wins and top ten in playoff appearances.  And ever team they have out performed has a GM.  Getting a GM is not some magic fairy dust that makes your team good.  The absolute worst teams in the league all have GMs.

This reminds me of the "anyone but Marvin would be better" logic.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The only GM around here is Mike's '91 Lumina.
LOL...Ive seen these references to the 91 Lumina ….is it  a real thing? does he actually drive this car?? 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 06:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last decade and a half the Bengal are in the top half of the league in wins and top ten in playoff appearances.  And ever team they have out performed has a GM.  Getting a GM is not some magic fairy dust that makes your team good.  The absolute worst teams in the league all have GMs.

This reminds me of the "anyone but Marvin would be better" logic.

Yeah and the Browns were good in the past too. That was the past. We have sucked for 4 year and it has gotten worse each year.  I agree a GM is not fair dust but MB as a GM has proven to be awful.
Reply/Quote

I predict Mike will say exactly what each and every one of you would say, i.e. "We had a bad year and we will try to be better next year."

Then you will all get your squeal on about how Mike said he was a super genius and all fans are stupid.

If I were Mike, I would say this: “the season was an embarrassment to the team, and the city, the results are on acceptable, and we will not rest until we bring back playoff and championship caliber football to the city. Anything less than that is unacceptable. If that means we have to fire coaches or front office members, we will do it.”
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote