Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense
(11-18-2018, 09:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 67% would put you in the playoffs every year, what're you talking about?

Harder to play against first start because of no tape.

That only makes sense if every team you play had a rookie QB. You may only play 1 or 2 a year, if any...so you would want that to be in the +80% range.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:04 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, I admit it.

The idea of Marvin Lewis assuming defensive coordinator duties sounded great to me because I thought he would have the Bengals prepared for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.  Unfortunately I think Marvin’s defensive prowess was left in the last millennium.  

This effort on the defensive side of the ball was an epic failure from front to back.  The coaching was abysmal and the execution was even worse.  The first priority when the season ends is to replace the defensive coordinator, the offensive coordinator, and the head coach — in that order.

Less than a week, and 1 game, and you are giving up on him? Were you really expecting him to turn this D around in 4 days?
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Less than a week, and 1 game, and you are giving up on him? Were you really expecting him to turn this D around in 4 days?

No.  Of course not.  But this?
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:50 PM)Lucidus Wrote: It was indeed very frustrating to observe a defense get beaten by the only dimension the opposing offense had, even though they had prepared heavily for that single dimension all week.

I must say, I was quite confident going into this game. I felt they would be the victors of a low-scoring, hard fought contest. I was rather mistaken in my confidence level, as it were.

The silver lining is that they are still among the 4 teams competing for the final playoff berth. If I am to be honest though, this team does not strike me as postseason worthy.
This basically. You had to stop a running QB and stop the running backs the QB was not going to beat you with his arm alone.
Reply/Quote

The idea of Marvin Lewis assuming defensive coordinator duties sounded great to me because I thought he would have the Bengals prepared for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.  Unfortunately I think Marvin’s defensive prowess was left in the last millennium.  

This effort on the defensive side of the ball was an epic failure from front to back.  The coaching was abysmal and the execution was even worse.  The first priority when the season ends is to replace the defensive coordinator, the offensive coordinator, and the head coach — in that order.

I will add Linebacker Coach to that list if no one has said it....
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Less than a week, and 1 game, and you are giving up on him? Were you really expecting him to turn this D around in 4 days?

16 years and yes I gave up on him a long time ago
Reply/Quote
At this point, I'm not sure what to think. They looked the same right from play 1 as they always have this season. I don't like the scheme, your lbs should not be playing with their backs to the QB or dropping back so far down field. We knew exactly what they were going to do and still couldn't stop it. DL is almost nonexistent.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will add Linebacker Coach to that list if no one has said it....

No kidding.  Jim Haslett is a mess.
Reply/Quote

It was an adjustment of course but things are still the same Sled. Marv sludge.

Better than Austin? Maybe?

The Offense was bad too from what i see from the stats as i couldn't watch the damn game and
get punished with infomercials for hell sake. Did they honestly only give Mixon like 12 carries?
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No.  Of course not.  But this?

Put a couple LBs in those gaps, where they're supposed to be and tell your veteran DEs to STOP BITING ON EVERY DAMN FAKE HANDOFF and i'm sure the number is much smaller. That's on the players. 

I'm not defending Marv but i'll take what we saw today over what we likely would have seen with Austin still here. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
To be fair they've been playing in large part with the 2nd and 3rd stringers much of this season especially at lb and it's showed. A huge chunk of the d will need retooling by next season as well as the same old problem with the offensive line..
I've never been a fan of Haslet nor Burney for that matter .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Having Evans n Nickerson at linebacker is a joke. Absolutely terrible.
Reply/Quote
This team cannot even tackle. Forget schemes, this team especially dbs want to try to go high on every tackle. They have to lead the league in giving up yards after contact.

The only thing this defense does consistently is get stupid penalties because they know their buddy Marvin isn’t going to do a damn thing.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No kidding.  Jim Haslett is a mess.

The LB's don't seem to understand how to play gaps. Like they all overpursue and allow cutbacks.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 10:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was an adjustment of course but things are still the same Sled. Marv sludge.

Better than Austin? Maybe?

The Offense was bad too from what i see from the stats as i couldn't watch the damn game and
get punished with infomercials for hell sake. Did they honestly only give Mixon like 12 carries?

Run wasn't working for us today;

Mixon had his worst game of the year by far, I'm glad they stopped feeding him the ball.

Should've had him on more routes though.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It's not like Marvin is totally changing the defensive scheme in a week either. They're going to play the same scheme with the same poor personnel.
Reply/Quote
When you know they're not going to beat you with the passing game you really ought to be able to stop the run. In post game Marvin mentioned they had not anticipated the plays Baltimore was going to run.

?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:12 AM)3wt Wrote: When you know they're not going to beat you with the passing game you really ought to be able to stop the run.  In post game Marvin mentioned they had not anticipated the plays Baltimore was going to run.

?

LOL - That's all I've ever seen Jackson do in games.

Just imagine how the Bengals won't be able to stop him once he gets experience and they actually get good WR's for him.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: LOL - That's all I've ever seen Jackson do in games.

Just imagine how the Bengals won't be able to stop him once he gets experience and they actually get good WR's for him.

Haha... Baltimore getting good receivers... That's funny.

Lamar did run all over them today though... Go figure.

Start Njoku, Duke Johnson, and Nick Chubb in your fantasy league next week!!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

You mention The 2 coordinators and the Head Coach but what about all the other coaches in this organisation that are doing absolutely nothing?
I might be wrong but I remember reading that the only coaching change on the defense was bringing Austin in, everyone else kept there jobs!!! why?
The only 2 coaches I would keep right now is Pollock and Van Pelt as there does seem to be an improvement in there departments although I don't know how with the players they have been given.

Both of them must be curled up in the Fetal Position sucking there thumbs in the corner of there hotel rooms asking themselves "what the hell have I let myself in for"
Reply/Quote