Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Was Totally Wrong About Marvin and the Defense
(11-18-2018, 10:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm not defending Marv but i'll take what we saw today over what we likely would have seen with Austin still here. 

Maybe...then again, 24 points scored by a backup QB on a team on a 3 game losing streak is probably about the same as giving up 50+ to the red hot Saints and a HOF QB in Brees.  Methinks the Saints would have torched Marvin's D, too.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 09:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 67% would put you in the playoffs every year, what're you talking about?

Harder to play against first start because of no tape.

A decent defense against this team and they would have scored 10 or less points. I have never seen a defense where there is positive runs almost every time. I mean every stinking time the Ravens ran the ball they were 3 yards before anyone touched them. Any sort of misdirection and it fools this team to the point that it looks clownish, like they are trying NOT to tackle the runner.

The Ravens had one shot at winning this game and it was running the ball, you knew it, the Bengals knew it, your grandmother in Nebraska knew it etc...  That is what is so utterly defeating about this loss. They came out and told us what they were going to do and they did it. Not one Bengal wanted to stop it either.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:14 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: A decent defense against this team and they would have scored 10 or less points. I have never seen a defense where there is positive runs almost every time. I mean every stinking time the Ravens ran the ball they were 3 yards before anyone touched them. Any sort of misdirection and it fools this team to the point that it looks clownish, like they are trying NOT to tackle the runner.

The Ravens had one shot at winning this game and it was running the ball, you knew it, the Bengals knew it, your grandmother in Nebraska knew it etc... That is what is so utterly defeating about this loss. They came out and told us what they were going to do and they did it. Not one Bengal wanted to stop it either.

Agree 100% we got beat by a high school offense today and the saddest part about it is that Marvin and the players are ok with it and think they had good effort.. I feel like I’m watching a Junior varsity team when I watch the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:11 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Well I don’t think it matters who is there. Our LBs are so awful I donmt think there is any overcoming them. Not firing any gaps, not coming up to make the tackle, just nowhere to be found really. With an impactful LBer or two the D would be world’s different.

Completely agree.  Jordan Evans has great athleticism, but poor instincts.  Outside of him and the out-of-shape Burfict, Vigil is injured and the rest of the players on the field weren't even drafted.  

Even if Burfict returns healthy, if I were to address the biggest weaknesses of this team, that position group would be number one.  I would sign a capable veteran to fill the gap, and draft an impact player early to play LB for this team.  

Improving the safety play would be next.  I think Bates is solid, but Shawn Williams misses too many tackles to be an effective SS.

This is pretty much how I watch college football right now....scouting the LBs.  
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:50 PM)Lucidus Wrote: It was indeed very frustrating to observe a defense get beaten by the only dimension the opposing offense had, even though they had prepared heavily for that single dimension all week.

I must say, I was quite confident going into this game. I felt they would be the victors of a low-scoring, hard fought contest. I was rather mistaken in my confidence level, as it were.

The silver lining is that they are still among the 4 teams competing for the final playoff berth. If I am to be honest though, this team does not strike me as postseason worthy.

Yea, how they let them run 15 plays in a row running the ball while still moving the ball is not in the good category. You (coaches and players), probably should adjust your play. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 02:14 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: A decent defense against this team and they would have scored 10 or less points. I have never seen a defense where there is positive runs almost every time. I mean every stinking time the Ravens ran the ball they were 3 yards before anyone touched them. Any sort of misdirection and it fools this team to the point that it looks clownish, like they are trying NOT to tackle the runner.

The Ravens had one shot at winning this game and it was running the ball, you knew it, the Bengals knew it, your grandmother in Nebraska knew it etc...  That is what is so utterly defeating about this loss. They came out and told us what they were going to do and they did it. Not one Bengal wanted to stop it either.

No, nobody knew it.

And while your point is apt for the most part, why did Collins and Allen rush for LESS than 3 YPC, if everyone ran for 3 yards before getting touched?

Jackson had a handful of negative plays and many runs were for a yard or two, sprinkled in with big gainers; it just wasn't good enough, but the D played much better than in the Saints game, for example.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: LOL - That's all I've ever seen Jackson do in games.

Just imagine how the Bengals won't be able to stop him once he gets experience and they actually get good WR's for him.

I guess the defense got together before the game and decided to never set an edge, no matter what.  Most of Jackson's runs were outside.  It was truly sickening that they never stopped that crap.

The whole defense could have stayed within ten yards of the LOS because Jackson was never going downfield.

I also have to say that the Ratbirds will get Jackson killed.  You can't have your QB with 20 carries.  A good defense will break him in two because he is a skinny dude.  That was a coach on the hot seat desperate to keep his job, ala Shanahan with RGIII and we all know how that turned out.  The Ratbirds are now running the unsustainable owfense.  And it's pretty embarrassing to lose to that nonsense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At what point do we all have to just admit that the players aren't that good and the coaching is below average?

Hardy Nickerson should NEVER see the field and please start the backup qb,he is was better than Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 10:15 AM)McC Wrote: I guess the defense got together before the game and decided to never set an edge, no matter what.  Most of Jackson's runs were outside.  It was truly sickening that they never stopped that crap.

The whole defense could have stayed within ten yards of the LOS because Jackson was never going downfield.

I also have to say that the Ratbirds will get Jackson killed.  You can't have your QB with 20 carries.  A good defense will break him in two because he is a skinny dude.  That was a coach on the hot seat desperate to keep his job, ala Shanahan with RGIII and we all know how that turned out.  The Ratbirds are now running the unsustainable owfense.  And it's pretty embarrassing to lose to that nonsense.

Even worse, an undrafted RB ran at a 6.8 YPC for 117 and first ever TD. I don't care what anyone says, you let two rookies  with one shitty QB and undrafted RB beat you, It's rather pathetic.
Reply/Quote

I completely agree with the bolded... especially after they came out running the ball 15(!!!!!!) times in a row. There was no balanced offense (54 rushing attempts to 19 pass). It was like 1990's football. At least we only gave up 403 yards?  Mellow We stopped the consecutive 500 yard games, so that is progress.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 08:04 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, I admit it.

The idea of Marvin Lewis assuming defensive coordinator duties sounded great to me because I thought he would have the Bengals prepared for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens.  Unfortunately I think Marvin’s defensive prowess was left in the last millennium.  

This effort on the defensive side of the ball was an epic failure from front to back.  The coaching was abysmal and the execution was even worse.  The first priority when the season ends is to replace the defensive coordinator, the offensive coordinator, and the head coach — in that order.

you did not think realistically Marvin could turn it around in one short week?

I think Marv and the D would much have rather played Flacco...a slow, beat up, ill disciplined, poor tackling run defense did not want to see Lamar Jackson running all over the place.

i think the lack of quick adjustment was on Marv though....were they not employing a spotter for Lamar?...saw Williams and Bates get to him a couple of times but other times we just vacated the box and left a gaping hole for him to break into.  

Normally a defense plans to make an offense one dimensional  - in this instance ravens did that for us and we still could not stop it at times
Reply/Quote

They're a defeated, hopeless bunch.  The will is gone.

And the offense is collapsing under the weight of it too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:35 PM)McC Wrote: They're a defeated, hopeless bunch.  The will is gone.

And the offense is collapsing under the weight of it too.

There's no saving this defense or this team for that matter ! We win 3 more games we'll be flying.

This Defense went from an F- to a D- under Marvin. He might get them to a solid D+ if we're lucky but that's about it.

Fact is only hope this core of decent players has is to clean house on the coaching staff. Fat chance
Reply/Quote
Mravin is an idiot, he got his ass handed to him.

"QB's don't survive long running that much". - Marvin Lewis on Lamar Jackson eating the Bengals alive.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25320241/marvin-lewis-questions-lamar-jackson-running-much

My question is more for the offense, as the defense is defenseless. Why the hell do we have zero separation from all receivers?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:22 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Mravin is an idiot, he got his ass handed to him.

"QB's don't survive long running that much". - Marvin Lewis on Lamar Jackson eating the Bengals alive.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25320241/marvin-lewis-questions-lamar-jackson-running-much

My question is more for the offense, as the defense is defenseless. Why the hell do we have zero separation from all receivers?

That is the question I have been asking myself for the last 20 years... "Why do our Wrs look like the DB is glued to their backs?"
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:22 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Mravin is an idiot, he got his ass handed to him.

He is right about that.  Jackson won't last.  But the Ravens needed a win and got it.  And we should have been able to stop it and weren't.  The most maddening thing about it was the same mistakes kept being repeated over and over.

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:00 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: You mention The 2 coordinators and the Head Coach but what about all the other coaches in this organisation that are doing absolutely nothing?
I might be wrong but I remember reading that the only coaching change on the defense was bringing Austin in, everyone else kept there jobs!!! why?
The only 2 coaches I would keep right now is Pollock and Van Pelt as there does seem to be an improvement in there departments although I don't know how with the players they have been given.

Both of them must be curled up in the Fetal Position sucking there thumbs in the corner of there hotel rooms asking themselves "what the hell have I let myself in for"

The new coaches....

Austin, Pollack, Bicknell, Van Pelt, Daronte Jones.

Van Pelt has done a good job with Dalton. Thought Pollack would be good but i honestly don't know now....
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 12:06 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Run wasn't working for us today;

Mixon had his worst game of the year by far, I'm glad they stopped feeding him the ball.

Should've had him on more routes though.

Terrible run blocking and yes, need to use him in the passing game, he is a receiver too after all.

Just bad coaching and bad players right now, bad recipe of shit soup man.

The TD celebration was funny though, was that Piano Man LMAO?!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 01:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That is the question I have been asking myself for the last 20 years... "Why do our Wrs look like the DB is glued to their backs?"

Tired schemes, predictable routes, QB having a second and a half to get through his reads, several things, really.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 11:30 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Having Evans n Nickerson at linebacker is a joke. Absolutely terrible.
Evans is a better option then Burfict this year.
Burfict might be an upgrade over Nickerson.
Reply/Quote