Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am Loving the Speed
(06-14-2017, 04:03 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You may be right, but if I am right, I will have enjoyed the greatest sports moment in our town's history, IMHO, and enjoyed every moment of the entire season leading up to it.  I wouldn't miss that for anything, and especially not because they haven't won it before or have had some huge meltdowns in the past.  

Live in the now.  No team has won the 2018 Super Bowl yet.  Who cares what happened before?  The race is now.  This season is all new.  Enjoy it!

Well if its any conciliation, I hope your right!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
ShRacerX sounding like a Browns fan! xD
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 06:24 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: ShRacerX sounding like a Browns fan! xD

I'm scared to ask this, or more accurately, I am scared of the response, but how does a Bengals Fan sound?  Afraid?  Been burnt and will never allow themselves to be vested again?  That's not a Bengals Fan.  That's a chicken.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep! And please let me state my hatred for bandwagoners. It takes a special heart to be a fan of this team. You have to earn the right to be on that wagon, you can't just jump on.

WTS, if the line does their job (big if), we friggin smoke the division, the conference and the playoffs. That if Marvin keeps it together (another big if)?

Since I became a fan around 94-95, I've never seen a Bengals playoff win.  I will be thrilled if we just get that monkey off our backs.  I'm not even thinking about the Super Bowl yet (of course when they win that first playoff game, I will change my tune about the Super Bowl right quick).  What's even funny is that this team is the least likely to get bandwagon fans, simply because of Marvin's 0-7 record.  You know how the bandwagoners like to wait around week 8 - week 14 and start booking their tickets to the bandwagon; well, this team would even test their patience cause they would be forced to wait until the first playoff game (and see whether the Bengals won), to say, "you know I really love the Bengals ....".  The one good thing about 0-7 Marvin is that this team is allergic to bandwagoners, cause it's too late to become a bandwagoner by the time the Bengals make the playoffs.  Yet, there are some truly astonishing pieces of work who will try to pull off this herculean and self-awareness lacking feat.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 12:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: We are also hoping that our kicker wins us at least a couple of games. 

Really?  I'd rather see the Bengals not having to put a kicker in a win or lose situation, just blow out the competition. Cool

But seriously, I'd be happy if our kicker at least didn't lose any games for us.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 09:48 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I wouldn't worry about a bandwagon forming around this team. Even if we win a playoff game or two this year we'll still have the stigma of being a "thug" team and be seen as the villains... At least for awhile longer.

Mixon will have the woman beater stigma follow him for the rest of his life (like Michael Vick and his dog killing). People still think Vontaze is dirty (even though he had one personal foul all year last season) and with Pacman Mothaf****n' Jones still around....

Nationwide, we get no respect because of all the negative publicity. We win consistently for the next few years (especially January) then people will start to change their tune. Winning cures all, but the winning has to be long term and in critical scenarios. That's what draws the low self-esteemed, weak minded, small d***ed Bandwagoners aboard.

Bottom line, there won't be another Bengal Bandwagon for at least a few more years.

For the most part I've never understood the "thug" team stigma, and how that label was applied to Burfict.  Sure, there were stupid plays like twisting Newton's ankles and the groin punch.  They were completely stupid things which thankfully didn't have serious consequences.  I could see that as a young player not understanding how to draw attention to himself in all the unnecessary ways.  Any talk of hurting Bell, in my opinion was a gross overexaggeration, especially relative to the blind eye by the media to the same type of antics from the Steelers against the Bengals and other teams.  But I do wish Burfict would be smarter about understanding what type of microscope he is under and how stupid and dangerous plays like lunging at Bennett's knees would hurt his cause.  

As far as Jones, the less said the better.  I wish he was cut already.  

But having said all that, if the Bengals win a Super Bowl, and become regular contenders, the media will be singing praises, and "thuggery" will turn into "tough, hard-nosed winning football".  And pretty soon, the bandwagon will be ready to burst from all the jumpers.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 06:39 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: For the most part I've never understood the "thug" team stigma, and how that label was applied to Burfict.  Sure, there were stupid plays like twisting Newton's ankles and the groin punch.  They were completely stupid things which thankfully didn't have serious consequences.  I could see that as a young player not understanding how to draw attention to himself in all the unnecessary ways.  Any talk of hurting Bell, in my opinion was a gross overexaggeration, especially relative to the blind eye by the media to the same type of antics from the Steelers against the Bengals and other teams.  But I do wish Burfict would be smarter about understanding what type of microscope he is under and how stupid and dangerous plays like lunging at Bennett's knees would hurt his cause.  

But having said all that, if the Bengals win a Super Bowl, and become regular contenders, the media will be singing praises, and "thuggery" will turn into "tough, hard-nosed winning football".  And pretty soon, the bandwagon will be ready to burst from all the jumpers.

Yep. I agree 100% with everything you said. The "thug" label to Burfict is unwarranted and really stems from the dumb hit on Brown in the playoffs, even though he's only had one personal foul since then. You ask any casual football fan what they know or think about Vontaze Burfict and +90% of them will call him something like "dirty", "thug", "miscreant", etc. it's not fair but it is what it is. I doubt he'll ever shed that label but people will be more tolerant and conveniently forget if he gets a ring on his finger (see: Ray Lewis). 

Pacman is the only true "thug" on this team. The dude should have been cut on principle months ago but, as we found out, Pacman is very special friend to Mike Brown  Whatever Pacman is here until he retires or is given an extended jail sentence (my money is on the latter). 

Winning cures all. I believe that above all else. Look at the Steelers, Ravens, hell even look the Patriots: the media didn't say a thing about their off the field issues (or on the field issues) when they were winning Super Bowls. I'm certain if we win a super bowl the Bengal bandwagon will erupt. But sadly I don't see that happening with Marv Lewis in charge. That's the main reason why I don't see us getting a major bandwagon following for a few years or more. But as soon as we win it all, expect these boards to blow up with new members who swear they are "lifelong fans"' LMAO
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 06:39 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: For the most part I've never understood the "thug" team stigma, and how that label was applied to Burfict.  Sure, there were stupid plays like twisting Newton's ankles and the groin punch.  They were completely stupid things which thankfully didn't have serious consequences.  I could see that as a young player not understanding how to draw attention to himself in all the unnecessary ways.  Any talk of hurting Bell, in my opinion was a gross overexaggeration, especially relative to the blind eye by the media to the same type of antics from the Steelers against the Bengals and other teams.  But I do wish Burfict would be smarter about understanding what type of microscope he is under and how stupid and dangerous plays like lunging at Bennett's knees would hurt his cause.  

Great post!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 07:18 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep. I agree 100% with everything you said. The "thug" label to Burfict is unwarranted and really stems from the dumb hit on Brown in the playoffs, even though he's only had one personal foul since then. You ask any casual football fan what they know or think about Vontaze Burfict and +90% of them will call him something like "dirty", "thug", "miscreant", etc. it's not fair but it is what it is. I doubt he'll ever shed that label but people will be more tolerant and conveniently forget if he gets a ring on his finger (see: Ray Lewis). 

Pacman is the only true "thug" on this team. The dude should have been cut on principle months ago but, as we found out, Pacman is very special friend to Mike Brown  Whatever Pacman is here until he retires or is given an extended jail sentence (my money is on the latter). 

Winning cures all. I believe that above all else. Look at the Steelers, Ravens, hell even look the Patriots: the media didn't say a thing about their off the field issues (or on the field issues) when they were winning Super Bowls. I'm certain if we win a super bowl the Bengal bandwagon will erupt. But sadly I don't see that happening with Marv Lewis in charge. That's the main reason why I don't see us getting a major bandwagon following for a few years or more. But as soon as we win it all, expect these boards to blow up with new members who swear they are "lifelong fans"' LMAO

No doubt the fan base will grow if we win it all. Steelers have more bandwagon fans than professional team ever..IMHO

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 08:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt the fan base will grow if we win it all. Steelers have more bandwagon fans than professional team ever..IMHO

Very true, if the Steelers dynasty of the 70's never happened (i.e. steroids weren't discovered yet  Ninja ) a huge percentage of that fanbase would be Cowboys or Patriots fans (although quite a few would have jumped on board during the Rapistberger era). 

But since they were the first real "dynasty" of the super bowl era, their unique bandwagon has lasted for generations. Nobody can ever convince me the steeler fanbase would be so widespread without the teams of the 70's. Look at the Steelers first 50 years of existence prior to the 70's... They were atrocious. Arguably worse than us. Then they put together one of the best defensive teams of all time and look what happens, "I'm a Steeler fan because they've always been good".  Whatever Damn idiots
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2017, 07:18 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep. I agree 100% with everything you said. The "thug" label to Burfict is unwarranted and really stems from the dumb hit on Brown in the playoffs, even though he's only had one personal foul since then. You ask any casual football fan what they know or think about Vontaze Burfict and +90% of them will call him something like "dirty", "thug", "miscreant", etc. it's not fair but it is what it is. I doubt he'll ever shed that label but people will be more tolerant and conveniently forget if he gets a ring on his finger (see: Ray Lewis). 

With us it will take more than 1 Superbowl win to get rid of our bad boy image.

It's a sticky label that we don't deserve.  We've had no more thugs on our teams than a lot of other teams.  Every team in the NFL had their bad boys, they just get the "boys will be boys" treatment, where the Bengals get the scarlet "T".

The press, draft sites (Walter Football being notorious) and even other teams share this perception.  But Dallas and Pittsburgh - and even the Patriots have all had every bit as many thugs and problem children as us.

We'll have to become a dynasty to shed that image.
Reply/Quote
Just bringing the thread back...

Happy Core should be ready by Training Camp, that scared me a bit. He was part of this speed/physicality that i
love going into this season. John Ross, Joe Mixon, Josh Malone, Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, Jordan Evans, Brandon
Wilson, WJ3, AJ, Core, lots of fast guys that can also play physical.

We will see about Ross and Malone, but they are deep threats, they don't have to necessarily be the most physical.

If teams want to try and bump Ross all day good luck, he will beat you deep one time when you miss.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 11:43 AM)3wt Wrote: With us it will take more than 1 Superbowl win to get rid of our bad boy image.

It's a sticky label that we don't deserve.  We've had no more thugs on our teams than a lot of other teams.  Every team in the NFL had their bad boys, they just get the "boys will be boys" treatment, where the Bengals get the scarlet "T".

The press, draft sites (Walter Football being notorious) and even other teams share this perception.  But Dallas and Pittsburgh - and even the Patriots have all had every bit as many thugs and problem children as us.

We'll have to become a dynasty to shed that image.

True, great points. One super bowl would help but it'll definitely take one or two more to completely shed the notorious image. I can see plenty of fans, media members etc. chalking our super bowl win up to luck or "a fluke". 

For a team that's been irrelevant when it counts we certainly have an awful lot of haters. I guess it's that bully mentality that perverts society: it's easy to pick on the little guy... Hopefully that changes soon 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 01:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just bringing the thread back...

Happy Core should be ready by Training Camp, that scared me a bit. He was part of this speed/physicality that i
love going into this season. John Ross, Joe Mixon, Josh Malone, Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, Jordan Evans, Brandon
Wilson, WJ3, AJ, Core, lots of fast guys that can also play physical.

We will see about Ross and Malone, but they are deep threats, they don't have to necessarily be the most physical.

If teams want to try and bump Ross all day good luck, he will beat you deep one time when you miss.

Hopefully we avoid the injury bug, hope core gets healthy quickly

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 05:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hopefully we avoid the injury bug, hope core gets healthy quickly

Yeah, I hope so too.  I read somewhere today that the medical report said no ligament damage, likely a deep bruise.  However, didn't one of Eifert's injuries begin as a simple sprained ankle?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I hope so too.  I read somewhere today that the medical report said no ligament damage, likely a deep bruise.  However, didn't one of Eifert's injuries begin as a simple sprained ankle?

Maybe... But I think that was Braham
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I hope so too.  I read somewhere today that the medical report said no ligament damage, likely a deep bruise.  However, didn't one of Eifert's injuries begin as a simple sprained ankle?

In the pro bowl yes.

But this is Eifert we're talking about.  He'll take a hangnail and turn it into a compound fracture.
Reply/Quote
Ok, with the Core injury turning out to just be "a scare", what did we learn about the team through OTAs and Minicamp?

!. Everyone looks like superstars in shorts and helmets. (lol, had to throw that in there)

2. We have added some fast football talent to the roster. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to lay eyes on Ross or Malone yet, but I have not a doubt that Ross will be impressive, and Malone will look great in preseason. Willis and Lawson have turned some heads, their speed should enable the defense to show some different looks.

3. The team really wants us to believe that the OL is going to be just fine. I sincerely hope so, as the fate of the season pretty much depends upon them being able to protect Andy, and move the guys in front of them.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 06:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, with the Core injury turning out to just be "a scare", what did we learn about the team through OTAs and Minicamp?

!.  Everyone looks like superstars in shorts and helmets.  (lol, had to throw that in there)

2.  We have added some fast football talent to the roster.  Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to lay eyes on Ross or Malone yet, but I have not a doubt that Ross will be impressive, and Malone will look great in preseason.  Willis and Lawson have turned some heads, their speed should enable the defense to show some different looks.

3.  The team really wants us to believe that the OL is going to be just fine.  I sincerely hope so, as the fate of the season pretty much depends upon them being able to protect Andy, and move the guys in front of them.

I listened to NFL radio today in the afternoon on my trip back from Louisville. They are very high on Willis even saying he is the sleeper DE in this class. They liked Lawson, but did not like his injury history. But said Lawson would also be a solid pro

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 09:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I listened to NFL radio today in the afternoon on my trip back from Louisville. They are very high on Willis even saying he is the sleeper DE in this class. They liked Lawson, but did not like his injury history. But said Lawson would also be a solid pro

Honestly, I think the defense could be shaping up to be what carries the team this year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote