Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am actually kind of excited for next season
I know a lot of people think the Bengals are in the crapper next season due to FA losses, but I am kind of excited now to see how all the new blood plays out. I realize it will likely not be a playoff season, but I actually think the Bengals will be better than this past season next year. My reasons for enthusiasm:

1. I think we have a lot of good young talent that we have not seen (or seen much of) yet. Guys like WJIII, Billings, Cody Core (who should get more looks now that James Wright is gone), a season of experience under Boyd's belt, etc.

2. I think our young OTs will step up. Fisher had done a decent job when in, and I think Ogbuehi will be a much different player in year two. He has basically been injured the whole time until being thrown in this season. I think with finally a full off season where he is not rehabbing, and getting full OTAs, mini camp and training camp, he will be much better. Lapham and the coaches have all steadfastly stood by him despite his struggles and maintained that they see something in him. I trust Lapham the most to make that assessment. I also remember Whit worth struggled mightily his first season at OT. He even had a game where he simply could not block Dwight Freeney....but Whitworth came around, didn't he?

3. The players we can get in the draft. With a high draft position, and 11 picks, the Bengals can really get some quality players, and be much younger and faster in many positions.

4. We have a solid core still in place, so it won't be a rebuild, its more like a retooling by changing out some of the older parts. Bottom line is the old combination of parts was just not quite good enough, so let's buy some shiney new parts and see how she runs.

I think it will be a fun and exciting time, yes we may have to step back for a season or two, but after that, there could be some real rewards. Now if they could just release Adam Jones.
Reply/Quote
I completely agree with you. I won't even rule out playoffs, though. I know I'm in the minority.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: I know a lot of people think the Bengals are in the crapper next season due to FA losses, but I am kind of excited now to see how all the new blood plays out. I realize it will likely not be a playoff season, but I actually think the Bengals will be better than this past season next year. My reasons for enthusiasm:

1. I think we have a lot of good young talent that we have not seen (or seen much of) yet. Guys like WJIII, Billings, Cody Core (who should get more looks now that James Wright is gone), a season of experience under Boyd's belt, etc.

2. I think our you OTs will step up. Fisher had done a decent job when in, and I think Ogbuehi will be a much different player in year two. He has basically been injured the whole time until being thrown in this season. I think with finally a full off season where he is not rehabbing, and getting full OTAs, mini camp and training camp, he will be much better. Lapham and the coaches have all steadfastly stood by him despite his struggles and maintained that they see something in him. I trust Lapham the most to make that assessment. I also remember Whit worth struggled mightily his first season at OT. He even had a game where he simply could not block Dwight Freeney....but Whitworth came around, didn't he?

3. Th players we can get in the draft. With a high draft position, and 11 picks, the Bengals can really get some quality players, and be much younger and faster in many positions.

4. We have a solid core still in place, so it won't be a rebuild, its more like a retooling by changing out some of the older parts. Bottom line is the old combination of parts was just not quite good enough, so let's buy some shiney new parts and see how she runs.

I think it will be a fun and exciting time, yes we may have to step back for a season or two, but after that, there could be some real rewards. Now if they could just release Adam Jones.

You are absolutely correct.  We all loved Whit, but the fact is it was time to turn the roster, get younger and faster, and see what they can do.  This team didn't win a playoff game with the old guard, and maybe it can be a better team with the infusion of youth and speed.  

I am also very excited to see Minter play with Burfict and Vigil, who looked good in his action late last season.

WJIII was my favorite player coming out of last year's draft.  28 PBUs in a single season?  I love the way he plays the ball.  Fluid speed, and his injury was a torn pec, not a leg injury that could have affected that ability.

Williams struggled early replacing Reggie, but progressed as the season wore on and he should be significantly better in year two in the position.  

I will also offer that guys like Uzomah could really shine if the Bengals run more two TE sets in the red zone.  

From the draft, we will surely add another speedy WR and there are lots of interesting RBs out there.  I really like John Conner.  I don't care what his 40 time is...he is the kind of jack-of-all trades, loves to play the game, winner that I love.  

If Eifert, AJ, Uzomah, Boyd, and a burner WR and new RB can stay healthy, this offense can soar.  Even with Zampese Wink

And lastly, YES, punt Adam Jones from this team.  The culture of this young team is ripe for influences, and I don't want him to have anything to do with that.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Its your brain dealing with your emotional Bengal issues. Enough time has passed to process your reasoning and I bet by week one you will think this team has improved so much they will win the division and a playoff game.

Mike Brown is smiling and thinking, "It always works out this way. Mwhahahaha Mwhahahaha" As he puts his pinky finger to the corner of his mouth.
Reply/Quote
I refuse to be sucked into this again. Ill wait and see how the first few games pan out and then get excited if they give me something.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Honestly, the whole season will hinge on the tackles. If they play at even an average level, this team will be at least 8-8.
Reply/Quote
"We must first accept finite disappointment, but never loose infinite hope" ~ MLK Jr.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: I know a lot of people think the Bengals are in the crapper next season due to FA losses, but I am kind of excited now to see how all the new blood plays out. I realize it will likely not be a playoff season, but I actually think the Bengals will be better than this past season next year. My reasons for enthusiasm:

2. I think our you OTs will step up. Fisher had done a decent job when in, and I think Ogbuehi will be a much different player in year two. He has basically been injured the whole time until being thrown in this season. I think with finally a full off season where he is not rehabbing, and getting full OTAs, mini camp and training camp, he will be much better. Lapham and the coaches have all steadfastly stood by him despite his struggles and maintained that they see something in him. I trust Lapham the most to make that assessment. I also remember Whit worth struggled mightily his first season at OT. He even had a game where he simply could not block Dwight Freeney....but Whitworth came around, didn't he?

3. Th players we can get in the draft. With a high draft position, and 11 picks, the Bengals can really get some quality players, and be much younger and faster in many positions.

Nice post Beaker, i am done crying over spilled milk. Like you said we still have a solid team.

If Ogbuehi and Fisher improve which they will we might even make the Playoffs, you never know. We all know the
problem once we get there though. Still, should be fun to watch this team. I am particularly excited about the Defense.

If we add a nice pass rusher to this D-line it could be dominant. Billings was my favorite DT in that entire deep class.

Him next to Geno should be a blast to watch. Getting Minter was awesome, this guy is smart and can stop the run and
cover. I doubt we see our Linebackers out of position as much this year. Our CB's are stacked, the Safeties are not as
bad as some say. Shawn should improve and if he doesn't i love Derron Smith, Fej and Josh Shaw.
Reply/Quote
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the defense play, and how those new pieces fit into the puzzle.  Also intrigued to see how the draft goes.  The offense?  Not so much.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Agreed and I believe we still have a good shot at the post season if the chips fall the right way. It's going to be a fun season.
Reply/Quote
I'm not going into this season with high expectations. We're looking at a very young team.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
For me to get excited for next season, the Bengals have to "hit" on several picks on this up coming draft.  If they draft  either Thomas,  Foster,  LF,  or Hooker, then I will display more enthusiasm. 

I like the cuts the team made.  I hope the O-line comes to life because I seriously worry Dalton may get injured.  I am hope the defense becomes scary by drafting Foster or Thomas.  The team needs to draft well this year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I am less concerned about Cedric than most as long as Fisher is serviceable. We can always keep a back in to help him out or line a TE up next to him to at least hide his flaws some. The Bengals were one of the lowest in the league last year in terms of keeping an extra blocker in on passing plays. We ran a lot of five man route patterns with our HB leaving early and our TE not necessarily lining up in line. We will just need to adjust based on the personnel we have, in this case possibly a bad LT.

We can do stuff to make the line work, if the defense continues to gel I think we will be okay.
Reply/Quote
You guys play the NFC North division next year. That should be 3 easy wins right there. We will be the toughest but still we haven't beaten the Bengals since 1998.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 12:12 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: "We must first accept finite disappointment, but never loose infinite hope" ~ MLK Jr.

MLK spelled lose weird...

To the OP, I agree. Last year was riddled with injury. If the team stays a little healthier and the new blood can get their feet under them, we will once again be watching a legitimate contender.

Reply/Quote
Here's the problem.

If you accept "not a playoff season", then they should've canned this coaching staff and started over. This is a "all-in" season for this regime and half-assing it and expecting "not a playoff season" isn't acceptable.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:17 PM)packerbacker Wrote: You guys play the NFC North division next year. That should be 3 easy wins right there. We will be the toughest but still we haven't beaten the Bengals since 1998.

We partially have this man to thank for that. LOL

[Image: slide5.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:23 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: We partially have this man to thank for that. LOL

[Image: slide5.gif]

The look on his face is priceless haha! Didn't they call him the Burger King guy. That game too was a long time ago, I bet over 10 years ago. Anyone know what happened to this guy?
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:23 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Here's the problem.

If you accept "not a playoff season", then they should've canned this coaching staff and started over.  This is a "all-in" season for this regime and half-assing it and expecting "not a playoff season" isn't acceptable.

Marv, PA and Haslett should of been canned this Offseason. If this would of happened and we upgraded at these coaching
positions i would of been expecting a Playoff win, the players are not the problem. It is the coaching. If we get in the Playoffs
this year these guys will be the reason we lost once again.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Marv, PA and Haslett should of been canned this Offseason. If this would of happened and we upgraded at these coaching
positions i would of been expecting a Playoff win, the players are not the problem. It is the coaching. If we get in the Playoffs
this year these guys will be the reason we lost once again.

Would you guys ever take McCarthy as your head coach? Packer fans seem to be sick of him.
Reply/Quote