Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I don't think you guys realize HOW GOOD JaMarr Chase is
(04-01-2021, 11:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It isn't a slight to Sewell, but I see SO MANY potential guys in Rd 2 that can start at RG and try to develop as the RT of the future.  Jackson Carman, Alex Leatherwood, Teven Jenkins, Jaylen Mayfield (who tested quite poorly), Sam Cosmi, and  Alaric Jackson.  If the Bengals get one of these guys in Rd 2, they would immediately upgrade the RG position and hopefully develop a future RT.  I would STILL draft Spencer Brown if he is there in the 3rd round as a developmental tackle that might need a redshirt-type of season.  He is a lottery ticket that could be the next Whitworth.  I LOVE that kid.  Extremely raw, but after a tough first day at the Senior Bowl (he didn't play in 2020, so that is understandable) he showed he belonged there and tested a perfect 100 (top of all the OTs) percentile.  

Because we have a good history of developing guys for the O-line.... if we had any success with that we wouldn't be picking top 10...

On the flip side, we can and have (just last season) taken WR's in round 2 and beyond and gotten production.

This is what frustrates me so much. The... try and develop a guy mentality, the well this guy could be good, might be good, has some flaws but we can fix them, is injured and draft stock fell, tested poorly but who cares, etc, etc... just once... I'd like to see this team do the smart thing. 

I get that Chase is a great prospect... however, Sewell is just as great of a prospect. 

Two equally awesome prospects. One, at a position of need that you have shown you can't develop for years.

The other at a position of lesser need but still need, but also at a group that you literally just had a 2nd Rounder give you 908 yards in 14 games.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:49 AM)Whatever Wrote: If you want a nightmare, think about how bad last year would have been if the majority of the "Sewell or bust" contingent had had their way and we trotted out AJ, Boyd, and Tate as our WR's.  

Not a great comparison, there was 1 OT taken in the whole 2nd round and it was Ezra Cleveland all the way down at 58, Robert Hunt was the only G selected and he went at 39.  

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is the thing that everyone seems lost on:  What are we doing with Sewell if he is drafted?  My guess would be put him at RT and move Reiff inside, something he has said he would be willing to do.

So we are starting a rookie at RT, but we have an improved RG in Reiff and better than week 1 options at LG with XSF and Spain.  That's not a bad place to be.

However, if they draft Chase, they have an offense that scares people.  It would absolutely force the hands of DCs and if you are going to stick with 11 personnel more than any team in the NFL, you need a true #1 WR.  Chase is a freak, a bully, and an alpha when it comes to the WR room.  His presence helps every player on the offense.  

His 40 yard dash:  4.38
His bench of 225 lbs:  23(!)
His broad jump:  11 feet
His vertical:  41"

Those numbers add up to one word:  explosive.

His last year at LSU, PFF rated his play on downfield passes (that is, throws that traveled more than 20 yards in the air).  He rated a 99.  He was something like 19/20.  One drop.  His strength was the biggest weakness of this team a year ago in the passing game.

I tried to figure out where I went wrong with Ross.  I remember thinking watching his tape at UW that he SO OFTEN had to stop his already-separated downfield sprint, come back and catch the ball, and then run by the defenders that had already flown by him as he stopped.  His QB was a complete noodle-arm.  I thought Ross with a strong arm QB could be lethal.  But then, he had so many issues with drops.  I won't kill the guy for his injuries and his attitude is a whole other matter, but he clearly has an issue tracking the ball when moving at full speed.  Not Chase.  He can be striding his absolute fastest and he still gracefully hands-catches the ball down field.  

It isn't a slight to Sewell, but I see SO MANY potential guys in Rd 2 that can start at RG and try to develop as the RT of the future.  Jackson Carman, Alex Leatherwood, Teven Jenkins, Jaylen Mayfield (who tested quite poorly), Sam Cosmi, and  Alaric Jackson.  If the Bengals get one of these guys in Rd 2, they would immediately upgrade the RG position and hopefully develop a future RT.  I would STILL draft Spencer Brown if he is there in the 3rd round as a developmental tackle that might need a redshirt-type of season.  He is a lottery ticket that could be the next Whitworth.  I LOVE that kid.  Extremely raw, but after a tough first day at the Senior Bowl (he didn't play in 2020, so that is understandable) he showed he belonged there and tested a perfect 100 (top of all the OTs) percentile.  

Conversely, you can snag a guy like this in the later rounds that can catch em in stride.....and runs a 4.44

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Conversely, you can snag a guy like this in the later rounds that can catch em in stride.....and runs a 4.44

A guy with bad hands that runs a limited route tree coming off a knee injury?  
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:06 PM)Burma Wrote: Not a great comparison, there was 1 OT taken in the whole 2 round and it was Ezra Cleveland all the way down at 58, Robert Hunt was the only G selected and he went at 39.  

Honestly, the masses were clamoring for either Josh Jones or a LB in the 2nd.  Sadly, Jones fell into round three and we passed on him for Wilson. I got the Higgins pick, but I still don't understand why they passed on a T with that kind of upside for a stack LB.  

Lots of folks talk about "shiny toys," but what kills this team in the draft are these terrible LB picks.  If you look at our draft history, we take at least one every year before the 5th round and they become a replacement level starter at best and most of them bust.  If you look at our LB picks, it's just a black hole of wasted opportunity.  And there's always serviceable LB's out on the street you can sign for cheap.  
Reply/Quote
Leatherwood had a good pro day, but on the field, he played his way from a top 15 pick to a late first to 2nd-3rd round guy. The trajectory is wrong.

If he is my #2 OL pick as a gamble for his upside, I will take it. But counting on him to be a foundational piece of my OL going forward is a risk I would not make.

For me, Leatherwood is a luxury pick. A gamble.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 09:57 AM)Earendil Wrote: How well has he recovered?  We all know the Bengals' history of drafting injuring players.

(04-01-2021, 10:05 AM)Whatever Wrote: The last thing I want with a kid we're counting on coming in and starting immediately is an injury risk.  We had this with Jonah where his shoulder supposedly wasn't that bad, then he needs surgery and misses his rookie year.  Studrawa also has a terrible track record with his OL panning out in the pro's. 

Sounded like a knee sprain that he played through all year. Required no surgery and he was healthy at the Ohio State Pro Day.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: Honestly, the masses were clamoring for either Josh Jones or a LB in the 2nd.  Sadly, Jones fell into round three and we passed on him for Wilson. I got the Higgins pick, but I still don't understand why they passed on a T with that kind of upside for a stack LB.  

Lots of folks talk about "shiny toys," but what kills this team in the draft are these terrible LB picks.  If you look at our draft history, we take at least one every year before the 5th round and they become a replacement level starter at best and most of them bust.  If you look at our LB picks, it's just a black hole of wasted opportunity.  And there's always serviceable LB's out on the street you can sign for cheap.  

Absolutely on the LB.  I don't see how they can consistently mess it up to the extent that they have.  I was stunned when they passed on Jones for Logan Wilson.  Probably contributing to the irritation I am experiencing this year at the prospect of missing on Sewell or Slater.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Man oh man, 17 pages. If Burrow wants Chase then it's on him if he ends up in the morgue. I'm all for it....er, all for Chase, not all for Burrow ending up in the morgue.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Because we have a good history of developing guys for the O-line.... if we had any success with that we wouldn't be picking top 10...

On the flip side, we can and have (just last season) taken WR's in round 2 and beyond and gotten production.

This is what frustrates me so much. The... try and develop a guy mentality, the well this guy could be good, might be good, has some flaws but we can fix them, is injured and draft stock fell, tested poorly but who cares, etc, etc... just once... I'd like to see this team do the smart thing. 

I get that Chase is a great prospect... however, Sewell is just as great of a prospect. 

Two equally awesome prospects. One, at a position of need that you have shown you can't develop for years.

The other at a position of lesser need but still need, but also at a group that you literally just had a 2nd Rounder give you 908 yards in 14 games.

The Bengals OL issue hasn't been so much they can't develop.  Teams that have consistently good lines throw those round 2-5 picks into the OL every year, develop the diamonds in the rough, and cut bait with the ones that can't cut it.  The Bengals throw their 1st round pick at the OL over and over again, spend those mid round picks on other position groups that are starving for talent because they keep blowing their 1st round picks on the OL, and if that 1st rounder busts, they're screwed.  You have to give your coaches something to develop.

WR is a very easy position group to make guys look "fake good," though.  You can get any decent WR production if you keep forcing them the ball.  Look at Tate in '19, for example.  With Mixon's injury, Joe was on pace to lead the league in pass attempts before he went down and Tee was barely on pace to break 1000 yards.  That's not good.  Combine that with the poor separation stats and bad YPA and YPC, and it's a much bigger issue than some are admitting.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/4/1/22362231/nfl-draft-rumors-bengals-joe-burrow-jamarr-chase-lsu-tigers-football-news

This is interesting
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:07 PM)sloSTI Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/4/1/22362231/nfl-draft-rumors-bengals-joe-burrow-jamarr-chase-lsu-tigers-football-news

This is interesting

It was always obviously being exaggerated.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: A guy with bad hands that runs a limited route tree coming off a knee injury?  

Bad hands? LOL  Might wanna peep that scouting report.....or watch film. This kid and Cam Akers have been the only bright spots in Tallahassee for the last two/three years. Reports note his ability for contested catches, no problem catching balls in stride over the shoulder, stays low in his breaks, strong hands, uses body well to shield defenders. In fact, the only ding against him is dusting DBs off the LOS. 

He was cleared to play through the minor injury, but was advised to shut it down. The Noles were going NOWHERE. Must not have hurt him too bad....had a good 40 and pro day that put him back on people's radar.  I watch about every FSU game played, you?

Fwiw.... I'm not necessarily advocating this EXACT player, but there are plenty of WRs available later that could play day 1. Always is. However, Terry is a lot like Chris Henry...a guy people say we need a duplicate of.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was always obviously being exaggerated.

I know, that's why I wasn't putting much stock into since I didn't hear it directly from Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:25 PM)Wyche Wrote:  

Bad hands? LOL  Might wanna peep that scouting report.....or watch film. This kid and Cam Akers have been the only bright spots in Tallahassee for the last two/three years. Reports note his ability for contested catches, no problem catching balls in stride over the shoulder, stays low in his breaks, strong hands, uses body well to shield defenders. In fact, the only ding against him is dusting DBs off the LOS. 

He was cleared to play through the minor injury, but was advised to shut it down. The Noles were going NOWHERE. Must not have hurt him too bad....had a good 40 and pro day that put him back on people's radar.  I watch about every FSU game played, you?

Fwiw.... I'm not necessarily advocating this EXACT player, but there are plenty of WRs available later that could play day 1. Always is. However, Terry is a lot like Chris Henry...a guy people say we need a duplicate of.

This is from his combine write up.  Literally three lines on his weaknesses about his bad hands.  I think the fact that you're a noles fan is skewing your evaluation on Terry.  And yeah, there will be Day 3 WR's that can play, just like there will be Day 3 OL that can play.  You can't count on a guy at either position stepping in and being a quality starter day 1, though.

• Catch technique needs significant work.
  • Focus drops could be a lingering issue.
  • Shoddy hands and inconsistent ball-tracking hurt downfield success.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Conversely, you can snag a guy like this in the later rounds that can catch em in stride.....and runs a 4.44

He's very leggy with zero burst his 4.4 is build up speed. Reminds me of Josh Malone.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: This is from his combine write up.  Literally three lines on his weaknesses about his bad hands.  I think the fact that you're a noles fan is skewing your evaluation on Terry.  And yeah, there will be Day 3 WR's that can play, just like there will be Day 3 OL that can play.  You can't count on a guy at either position stepping in and being a quality starter day 1, though.

• Catch technique needs significant work.
  • Focus drops could be a lingering issue.
  • Shoddy hands and inconsistent ball-tracking hurt downfield success.

Hmmm...

"Positives: Nice-sized receiver with consistent hands. Sturdy receiver who gets up in a crowd and comes away with the difficult reception in battles. Stays low exiting breaks, positions himself to make the reception, and displays strong hands with the ability to pull the fastball from the air. Consistent hands catcher who extends to make the reception away from his frame.

Displays good awareness, settles into the open spot on the field, and uses his frame to shield away opponents. Tracks the pass in the air and makes the difficult over-the-shoulder reception at full speed."

You a Miami or Gator fan by chance?  Tongue

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:42 PM)Synric Wrote: He's very leggy with zero burst his 4.4 is build up speed. Reminds me of Josh Malone.

The burst off the line is the knock I've seen on him in scouting reports, and is the weakness I've personally seen in his game. That said, he's no slouch, and wouldn't make a bad pickup if they go oline heavy in the opening rounds. That's my point. Folks say you can get another tackle later, but not a pass catcher. I say you can do either....and my personal opinion is that line is our biggest problem. If Sewell is as advertised, we could fix our tackle problems with him and Jonah for the foreseeable future. 

Reply/Quote
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2021TTerry.php

Good day 2, early day 3 prospect seems to be the consensus, which is where we'd be taking him if we draft Oline.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 01:42 PM)Synric Wrote: He's very leggy with zero burst his 4.4 is build up speed. Reminds me of Josh Malone.

.....but the buildup speed leads to leaving defenders behind when he gets open deep and makes the catch.

Reply/Quote