Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I don't think you guys realize HOW GOOD JaMarr Chase is
(04-01-2021, 01:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hmmm...

"Positives: Nice-sized receiver with consistent hands. Sturdy receiver who gets up in a crowd and comes away with the difficult reception in battles. Stays low exiting breaks, positions himself to make the reception, and displays strong hands with the ability to pull the fastball from the air. Consistent hands catcher who extends to make the reception away from his frame.

Displays good awareness, settles into the open spot on the field, and uses his frame to shield away opponents. Tracks the pass in the air and makes the difficult over-the-shoulder reception at full speed."

You a Miami or Gator fan by chance?  Tongue

Source?

Below is a good write up on Terry with GIF examples of his strengths and weaknesses, including drops and repeatedly not being ready for the snap...

https://www.dynastynerds.com/2021-rookie-profile-tamorrion-terry-wide-receiver/
From TDN...

"He struggles to consistently catch the football and his ball skills down the field are hit or miss."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Conversely, you can snag a guy like this in the later rounds that can catch em in stride.....and runs a 4.44

I think Terry would be a fine back-end WR taken in Rd 6 or later. From what it looks and sounds, he has size and speed which can't be taught, but does need plenty of development on some of finer things like technique. He could become a potential starting outside WR in a few years, but I would want another receiver as WR3 such that there would not be a dependency on Terry.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Sounds like you guys are talking about two different people with the way those scouting reports seem to contradict each other.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We passed the ball like 50x a game last year. I know we need to be good at running it too, but it seems like running the ball is almost an afterthought in Taylor's offense. 

Well, the fact that we stunk so bad running the ball kind of forced us to throw a lot.

ZT has shown a willingness to run it some. Look at the Pitt game. Though that was Finley.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 07:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: As far as TE goes it might come down to the Taylor fixation on 11 personnel and the overall lack of use of a TE, I question the value of drafting a TE on day 1 and even in the 2nd round.

Sample actually had a good catch % last season with 75.5% and he had 40 catches. But compared to a top flight WR, the TE just doesn't get used enough in Taylor's offense to make the position worth a high pick.

I really doubt they'll select Pitts.

Except that Pitts is a WR more than he is a TE. He would be lined up on the outside or anywhere we see a mismatch.

The argument against Pitts cause he is a TE is not a valid one. He is more Calvin Johnson than Gronk.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: Source?

Below is a good write up on Terry with GIF examples of his strengths and weaknesses, including drops and repeatedly not being ready for the snap...

https://www.dynastynerds.com/2021-rookie-profile-tamorrion-terry-wide-receiver/
From TDN...

"He struggles to consistently catch the football and his ball skills down the field are hit or miss."

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tamorrion-terry-nfl-draft-player-profile-florida-state-wide-receiver/

You also gotta consider the rather lackluster QB play at FSU, and horrendous blocking. Bad coaching has been an issue too. As I said, if you go oline early, he's not a bad pick in rd 3.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Wow that Miami trade down really wreaked havoc here. Before that it seemed like many were ,"I hope we get Sewell but if not Chase or Pitts would be cool." Now it is looking like because the Bengals may have a choice between the 3 it is an all out war between forum members on who should be the pick.

A few notes. I have seen some mention that Sewell didn't play last year and was 19 years old the last time he played. Technically Ja'Marr Chase was also 19 years old the last time he played, the 2020 NCAA Championship Game played in Jan 2020. He was born March 1, 2000 (damn I feel old). He also didn't play last year. So they are not that far apart in age and time since they last played. Not that I think that means a lot but I just thought it was an interesting thing to mention.

Now what i think, which does not mean much as an amateur fan who takes these things lightly. Either Sewell or Chase is fine with me. I'm not totally sold on the, "Burrow is used to playing with Chase and the timing" thing. They have not played together in well over a year. So I don't think it is automatic they will just click automatically in the NFL against NFL defenders just because they lit it up together in college. I think things can change dramatically over time based on coaching and team dynamics. So I don't know if Chase is an automatic home run simply based on what they accomplished together at LSU over a year ago.

As for Sewell. It's kind of weird. Supposedly we already have a LT with Jonah and renting a RT in Reiff. So the argument seems to be draft Sewell and let him play guard for a year and/or compete with Reiff at tackle. I think Reiff said he would would play any position including guard if asked to. So if Sewell is all that people claim he can be it would be a great pick. He would have time to cut his teeth on the interior before possibly moving to tackle if he is great and moving Reiff to guard.

IMO Pitts would be a luxury pick among the 3. And I don't know if the Bengals can afford to do that at #5 given other needs. I feel the current Bengals TEs are serviceable enough that drafting one at #5 might be a reach. Sure they are not top 10 TEs but I think other positions are more needed.

tl;dr

Sewell or Chase is probably going the most argued point up to and even after the draft. It seems some fans here are are kind of all or nothing with their opinions on those 2. Mostly I just want to say you can like them or not and disagree on many points, but just be nice. No need to get hostile just because you disagree. That's the thing with posting on the Internet. It's so easy to be rude and caustic. I'm looking forward to how the 2021 draft goes but also think the limiting factor for the 2021 season may very well be the Bengals current coaches.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is the thing that everyone seems lost on:  What are we doing with Sewell if he is drafted?  My guess would be put him at RT and move Reiff inside, something he has said he would be willing to do.

So we are starting a rookie at RT, but we have an improved RG in Reiff and better than week 1 options at LG with XSF and Spain.  That's not a bad place to be.

However, if they draft Chase, they have an offense that scares people.  It would absolutely force the hands of DCs and if you are going to stick with 11 personnel more than any team in the NFL, you need a true #1 WR.  Chase is a freak, a bully, and an alpha when it comes to the WR room.  His presence helps every player on the offense.  

His 40 yard dash:  4.38
His bench of 225 lbs:  23(!)
His broad jump:  11 feet
His vertical:  41"

Those numbers add up to one word:  explosive.

His last year at LSU, PFF rated his play on downfield passes (that is, throws that traveled more than 20 yards in the air).  He rated a 99.  He was something like 19/20.  One drop.  His strength was the biggest weakness of this team a year ago in the passing game.

I tried to figure out where I went wrong with Ross.  I remember thinking watching his tape at UW that he SO OFTEN had to stop his already-separated downfield sprint, come back and catch the ball, and then run by the defenders that had already flown by him as he stopped.  His QB was a complete noodle-arm.  I thought Ross with a strong arm QB could be lethal.  But then, he had so many issues with drops.  I won't kill the guy for his injuries and his attitude is a whole other matter, but he clearly has an issue tracking the ball when moving at full speed.  Not Chase.  He can be striding his absolute fastest and he still gracefully hands-catches the ball down field.  

It isn't a slight to Sewell, but I see SO MANY potential guys in Rd 2 that can start at RG and try to develop as the RT of the future.  Jackson Carman, Alex Leatherwood, Teven Jenkins, Jaylen Mayfield (who tested quite poorly), Sam Cosmi, and  Alaric Jackson.  If the Bengals get one of these guys in Rd 2, they would immediately upgrade the RG position and hopefully develop a future RT.  I would STILL draft Spencer Brown if he is there in the 3rd round as a developmental tackle that might need a redshirt-type of season.  He is a lottery ticket that could be the next Whitworth.  I LOVE that kid.  Extremely raw, but after a tough first day at the Senior Bowl (he didn't play in 2020, so that is understandable) he showed he belonged there and tested a perfect 100 (top of all the OTs) percentile.  

Nice post as usual SHRacer. Chase also ran a 3.98 shuttle which I find more telling than the forty. He is extremely quick
in and out of his breaks without much of an injury history. I still like Pitts more out of the 2 just because I have never 
seen a player like Pitts who can play WR and TE while lining up all over the place while being 6'6" and running a 4.44
forty while being quick for as big as he is. Great route runners, both of these guys with great hands.

I personally would like what you are saying here. Pitts/Chase in the 1st, go with one of those Guards in the 2nd to shore
up the interior and grab Spencer Brown in the 3rd or 4th to learn behind Reiff. Brown as you say is raw but man is he fit
and extremely talented. Spencer Brown could end up being better than Sewell for all we know down the road.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Terry would be a fine back-end WR taken in Rd 6 or later. From what it looks and sounds, he has size and speed which can't be taught, but does need plenty of development on some of finer things like technique. He could become a potential starting outside WR in a few years, but I would want another receiver as WR3 such that there would not be a dependency on Terry.

He needs some work on route running, admittedly. However, everyone says we need a deep threat, I think he's that, we already have two outstanding possession guys. I'd be good with a 3rd round...or 4th. Coaching has been suspect at FSU for a while, never know what a guy would do with good coaching. We seem to do well with late round WRs.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 04:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: He needs some work on route running, admittedly. However, everyone says we need a deep threat, I think he's that, we already have two outstanding possession guys. I'd be good with a 3rd round...or 4th. Coaching has been suspect at FSU for a while, never know what a guy would do with good coaching. We seem to do well with late round WRs.

He's projected pretty much across the board as a late-round guy. Rd 5 or later.

And from the clips I've watched, he doesn't like to extend his arms and pluck the ball out of the air often. For a guy that big, I'd like him to be someone who can win above the rim. Sometimes he does, so I'm not saying he can't, but I think he prefers to make the basket catch so that he can keep running. This was a weakness in AJ Green's game too though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:58 PM)Earendil Wrote: Sounds like you guys are talking about two different people with the way those scouting reports seem to contradict each other.

It does, doesn't it? I've seen them all over the place. All I know is he set freshman records at FSU with sketchy, at best, QB play.....and those QBs running for their lives behind a porous oline. I mean, he earned the Scary Terry nickname, a home run threat at any given time. Last year was lackluster for him, and I think that hurt his stock some, and maybe led to some discrepancy in the scouting reports. Prior to 2020, they were talking about him in round 1. 

Yes, I'm a FSU fan, but that didn't make me stick up for Bobby Hart. I'm realistic for the most part. I wanted Dalvin Cook over Mixon, and that might've been the right call too. I've never had delusions of grandeur about famous Jameis either.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 04:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's projected pretty much across the board as a late-round guy. Rd 5 or later.

I've seen high as second....kinda like Clint Boling....was projected as high as 2nd, low as 5th, went 4th, played like a 3rd or better. Ya never know.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 04:43 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Wow that Miami trade down really wreaked havoc here.  Before that it seemed like many were ,"I hope we get Sewell but if not Chase or Pitts would be cool."  Now it is looking like because the Bengals may have a choice between the 3 it is an all out war between forum members on who should be the pick.  

A few notes.  I have seen some mention that Sewell didn't play last year and was 19 years old the last time he played.  Technically Ja'Marr Chase was also 19 years old the last time he played, the 2020 NCAA Championship Game played in Jan 2020.  He was born March 1, 2000 (damn I feel old).  He also didn't play last year.  So they are not that far apart in age and time since they last played.  Not that I think that means a lot but I just thought it was an interesting thing to mention.

Now what i think, which does not mean much as an amateur fan who takes these things lightly.  Either Sewell or Chase is fine with me.  I'm not totally sold on the, "Burrow is used to playing with Chase and the timing" thing.  They have not played together in well over a year.    So I don't think it is automatic they will just click automatically in the NFL against NFL defenders just because they lit it up together in college.   I think things can change dramatically over time based on coaching and team dynamics.  So I don't know if Chase is an automatic home run simply based on what they accomplished together at LSU over a year ago.  

As for Sewell.  It's kind of weird. Supposedly we already have a LT with Jonah and renting a RT in Reiff.  So the argument seems to be draft Sewell and let him play guard for a year and/or compete with Reiff at tackle. I think Reiff said he would would play any position including guard if asked to.  So if Sewell is all that people claim he can be it would be a great pick.  He would have time to cut his teeth on the interior before possibly moving to tackle if he is great and moving Reiff to guard.

IMO Pitts would be a luxury pick among the 3.  And I don't know if the Bengals can afford to do that at #5 given other needs.  I feel the current Bengals TEs are serviceable enough that drafting one at #5 might be a reach. Sure they are not top 10 TEs but I think other positions are more needed.

tl;dr  

Sewell or Chase is probably going the most argued point up to and even after the draft.  It seems some fans here are are kind of all or nothing with their opinions on those 2.   Mostly I just want to say you can like them or not and disagree on many points, but just be nice.  No need to get hostile just because you disagree.  That's the thing with posting on the Internet.  It's so easy to be rude and caustic.  I'm looking forward to how the 2021 draft goes but also think the limiting factor for the 2021 season may very well be the Bengals current coaches.

Spot on. I'd be happy with either of those three, really, but I just think that if Sewell is the player he's made out to be, we should take him to protect our investment at QB for the long term. That's the whole reason he's my preference at the moment.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Terry would be a fine back-end WR taken in Rd 6 or later. From what it looks and sounds, he has size and speed which can't be taught, but does need plenty of development on some of finer things like technique. He could become a potential starting outside WR in a few years, but I would want another receiver as WR3 such that there would not be a dependency on Terry.

Are there any FA WRs left? I haven't been keeping up....also might be a cut casualty somewhere.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 04:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: He needs some work on route running, admittedly. However, everyone says we need a deep threat, I think he's that, we already have two outstanding possession guys. I'd be good with a 3rd round...or 4th. Coaching has been suspect at FSU for a while, never know what a guy would do with good coaching. We seem to do well with late round WRs.

Draft him in the 5th and I am happy, take Pitts early go O-line with 2 picks in the 2nd to 4th rounds is the way I would like it
if Pitts gets past Atlanta who are expressing interest in him. Something like this is what I would love...

1st - Kyle Pitts TE/WR
2nd - Quinn Meinerz G/C
3rd - Patrick Jones DE
4th - Spencer Brown OT
5th - Tamarrion Terry WR

Think this takes care of the OL while adding weapons and helps the pass rush. Spencer Brown I think will be a steal for who
ever Drafts him in a year. Perfect OT to learn behind Reiff and Jonah IMO.

Both Pitts and Terry would be great deep threats for Burrow. Terry is also 6'4" unlike some of the other speedsters I like in 
this Draft like Eskridge and Darden who are smaller.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Draft him in the 5th and I am happy, take Pitts early go O-line with 2 picks in the 2nd to 4th rounds is the way I would like it
if Pitts gets past Atlanta who are expressing interest in him. Something like this is what I would love...

1st - Kyle Pitts TE/WR
2nd - Quinn Meinerz G/C
3rd - Patrick Jones DE
4th - Spencer Brown OT
5th - Tamarrion Terry WR

Think this takes care of the OL while adding weapons and helps the pass rush. Spencer Brown I think will be a steal for who

Both Pitts and Terry would be great deep threats for Burrow. Terry is also 6'4" unlike some of the other speedsters I like in 

Not a bad scenario either....it just all comes down to preference. I certainly won't be butthurt with Pitts or Chase....

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 05:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not a bad scenario either....it just all comes down to preference. I certainly won't be butthurt with Pitts or Chase....

Same here, love picking Sewell too but I think all 3 could help this team big time. Pitts is just a crazy talent.

I don't think he makes it past Atlanta after how he said they were interested in him. I think it is Sewell or Chase.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Draft him in the 5th and I am happy, take Pitts early go O-line with 2 picks in the 2nd to 4th rounds is the way I would like it

1st - Kyle Pitts TE/WR
2nd - Quinn Meinerz G/C
3rd - Patrick Jones DE
4th - Spencer Brown OT
5th - Tamarrion Terry WR

I had the same exact almost mock draft on PFF weeks ago.
I think I selected Dazz Newsome instead of Terry but anyhow..
Does anyone remember how porous this offense  has been in the red zone the last 2-seasons. ?
Kyle Pitts is the ultimate weapon in the red zone. 
Just imagine AJ Green in his prime.
Pitts is the total package. Size speed radius hands. 
Nobody else in this draft has his overall makeup
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 05:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Are there any FA WRs left? I haven't been keeping up....also might be a cut casualty somewhere.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/available/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Big Grin 
(04-01-2021, 05:39 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I had the same exact almost mock draft on PFF weeks ago.
I think I selected Dazz Newsome instead of Terry but anyhow..
Does anyone remember how porous this offense  has been in the red zone the last 2-seasons. ?
Kyle Pitts is the ultimate weapon in the red zone. 
Just imagine AJ Green in his prime.
Pitts is the total package. Size speed radius hands. 
Nobody else in this draft has his overall makeup

He's a stud. That's why many including McShay are predicting that he ends up a Falcon. Ryan loves having an all pro TE.
Reply/Quote