Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I don't think you guys realize HOW GOOD JaMarr Chase is
(03-31-2021, 11:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: Very true.  And the Bengals will be a lot more likely to resign Reiff if they go G in 2 after taking Chase/Pitts in 1.  

There are other G's I like more than Davis in 2(Humphrey, Meinerz, Brown).  However, with it looking like Chase in 1, G in 2 would be a smart play along with a T to groom like Spencer Brown or Hudson in 3.

The thing about Wyatt Davis is a knee injury hurt his draft stock this season he didn't move as well. He played through it but it sent him from a top 15 draft prospect to a mid to early second round pick. 

Davis is the prototypical guard prospect with the perfect blend of size, length, athleticism leverage, and power. He can play in any run scheme you want and can step in day one at RG because that was his position. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Y’all are seriously underestimating Zac’s plan to have Sample do the lions share of the blocking this
Season now that he’s got a few years of experience under his belt.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 09:15 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Y’all are seriously underestimating Zac’s plan to have Sample do the lions share of the blocking this

Please no more trying to have him single up on DE’s...

Reply/Quote
https://www.nfl.com/news/lsu-wr-ja-marr-chase-wouldn-t-mind-reunion-with-qb-joe-burrow-in-cincinnati

I like the fact that he does not balk at the thought of coming to play in Cincinnati at least.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 09:15 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Y’all are seriously underestimating Zac’s plan to have Sample do the lions share of the blocking this

we have watched Zachs plan enough to know there isnt one
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 08:59 AM)Synric Wrote: The thing about Wyatt Davis is a knee injury hurt his draft stock this season he didn't move as well. He played through it but it sent him from a top 15 draft prospect to a mid to early second round pick. 

Davis is the prototypical guard prospect with the perfect blend of size, length, athleticism leverage, and power. He can play in any run scheme you want and can step in day one at RG because that was his position. 

How well has he recovered?  We all know the Bengals' history of drafting injuring players.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 08:59 AM)Synric Wrote: The thing about Wyatt Davis is a knee injury hurt his draft stock this season he didn't move as well. He played through it but it sent him from a top 15 draft prospect to a mid to early second round pick. 

The last thing I want with a kid we're counting on coming in and starting immediately is an injury risk.  We had this with Jonah where his shoulder supposedly wasn't that bad, then he needs surgery and misses his rookie year.  Studrawa also has a terrible track record with his OL panning out in the pro's. 
Reply/Quote
Hey- I'm one of the dumb old school guys who thinks we should load up on o linemen.

Sorry for my later than predicted response.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: The trenches aren't just T's, but we're drafting a T to fix our G problem?

Sounds an awful lot like Paul Alexander's "if you can play T, you can play G" philosophy that caused most of our OL picks and cap dollars on the OL to be spent on T's and not the IOL.

If we should make IOL more of a priority, there's a big grouping of them rated around our 2nd round pick.  

You're right. We should take Sewell AND some IOL help in the 2nd. Unfortunately, I think Mike values shiny position players and doesn't think much about interior line. So I foresee Chase in the first and probably more help for Anarumo in the 2nd. Which I guess plenty of folks around here will be excited about.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You're right. We should take Sewell AND some IOL help in the 2nd. Unfortunately, I think Mike values shiny position players and doesn't think much about interior line. So I foresee Chase in the first and probably more help for Anarumo in the 2nd. Which I guess plenty of folks around here will be excited about.

again i dont think MIKE is making the calls come draft day and hasnt been for a while
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 05:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think Sewell is going to have some struggles this year.  He's a young kid, hasn't played against the best of talent and now has a year of rust.  Not to mention, people are talking about moving him inside, to a position he hasn't played since High School.  And fwiw, I consider OL one of the harder positions to transtion to in the NFL.

I'm not pointing this out to say he's a bad pick or he won't pan out long-term.  I just think the idea of him coming in and immediately being a huge upgrade might be a tad premature.  I would not at all be shocked if he's a below average starter in year 1.

That's a good point/argument, but the counterpoint is this.....if you don't go ahead and get a guy like this for the long term health of your oline.... you're in the same boat next season. We can't just keep kicking this can down the road.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: again i dont think MIKE is making the calls come draft day and hasnt been for a while

You don't think Mike has some general guidelines? Or that he's capable of saying "I want that receiver kid from LSU"?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's a good point/argument, but the counterpoint is this.....if you don't go ahead and get a guy like this for the long term health of your oline.... you're in the same boat next season. We can't just keep kicking this can down the road.

Sure we can.

As long as there is some player there at our first round pick that can whip the fans into a frenzy and sell season tickets, the Brown family is happy.

If this was any other team (outside of Vegas or the Lions) there wouldn't be any doubt what they'd do here. It it was Pitt, Baltimore, New England, Green Bay, Kansas City... you know the successful franchises that win and don't pick top 10 routinely, Sewell would be the pick and the world would know it. But, we are going to do Bengal things... and skip on addressing the biggest weakness with the best prospect for it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:33 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sure we can.

As long as there is some player there at our first round pick that can whip the fans into a frenzy and sell season tickets, the Brown family is happy.

If this was any other team (outside of Vegas or the Lions) there wouldn't be any doubt what they'd do here. It it was Pitt, Baltimore, New England, Green Bay, Kansas City... you know the successful franchises that win and don't pick top 10 routinely, Sewell would be the pick and the world would know it. But, we are going to do Bengal things... and skip on addressing the biggest weakness with the best prospect for it.

I fear you're right. Everyone keeps saying we have to put Jonah or Sewell inside....but they're forgetting Reif said he'd play anywhere. There are several possibilities here. 

I'll be happy with any of these three players, but if Sewell is there, I don't see how you couldn't take him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You're right. We should take Sewell AND some IOL help in the 2nd. Unfortunately, I think Mike values shiny position players and doesn't think much about interior line. So I foresee Chase in the first and probably more help for Anarumo in the 2nd. Which I guess plenty of folks around here will be excited about.

Personally, after the last two years of FA, we shouldn't take defense until Day 3.  There's still several edge rushers out there in FA.

If we're double dipping at OL early, I think it's better to do it in 2 and 3 than 1 and 2. Get a G to start in 2 and a T to groom for a year behind Reiff in 3.  
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: I fear you're right. Everyone keeps saying we have to put Jonah or Sewell inside....but they're forgetting Reif said he'd play anywhere. There are several possibilities here. 

I'll be happy with any of these three players, but if Sewell is there, I don't see how you couldn't take him.

Well, this gives me a bit of hope.  They are at least doing their due diligence.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/01/bengals-coach-zac-taylor-oregon-pro-day-penei-sewell/

Quote:
As expected, the Cincinnati Bengals will send some heavy hitters to Oregon’s pro day to see top offensive tackle prospect Penei Sewell.

According to ESPN’s Ben Baby, Bengals head coach Zac Taylor will make a personal appearance there after attending Florida’s pro day, which featured elite tight end prospect Kyle Pitts.
Sewell is — for most — the top tackle in the 2021 class, something he’d be in many draft classes. He’s been the most popular mock selection for the Bengals in the draft even before the team secured the fifth pick and that hasn’t changed too much.
LSU wideout Ja’Marr Chase has emerged as serious competition for the fifth pick after his epic pro day and hints he’s talked with the Bengals multiple times.
But Sewell has a chance to swing the pendulum back in the other direction in a big way at his pro day, where he’s expected to post huge numbers of his own.
Taylor and the Bengals will be there every step of the way

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
16 pages? I'm way behind, but I will say it's nice to see us going ape over a guy like Chase during the off-season rather than talking about how some practice squad nobody WRs are going to be a NIGHTMAAAARE FOR OPPOSING DC's!
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 16 pages? I'm way behind, but I will say it's nice to see us going ape over a guy like Chase during the off-season rather than talking about how some practice squad nobody WRs are going to be a NIGHTMAAAARE FOR OPPOSING DC's!

And inversely it would be nice to talk about Sewell saving the OL as opposed to guys like Fred Johnson.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2021, 11:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 16 pages?  I'm way behind, but I will say it's nice to see us going ape over a guy like Chase during the off-season rather than talking about how some practice squad nobody WRs are going to be a NIGHTMAAAARE FOR OPPOSING DC's!

If you want a nightmare, think about how bad last year would have been if the majority of the "Sewell or bust" contingent had had their way and we trotted out AJ, Boyd, and Tate as our WR's.  
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So no players taken after pick 5 will be able to block in the NFL?

This is the thing that everyone seems lost on:  What are we doing with Sewell if he is drafted?  My guess would be put him at RT and move Reiff inside, something he has said he would be willing to do.

So we are starting a rookie at RT, but we have an improved RG in Reiff and better than week 1 options at LG with XSF and Spain.  That's not a bad place to be.

However, if they draft Chase, they have an offense that scares people.  It would absolutely force the hands of DCs and if you are going to stick with 11 personnel more than any team in the NFL, you need a true #1 WR.  Chase is a freak, a bully, and an alpha when it comes to the WR room.  His presence helps every player on the offense.  

His 40 yard dash:  4.38
His bench of 225 lbs:  23(!)
His broad jump:  11 feet
His vertical:  41"

Those numbers add up to one word:  explosive.

His last year at LSU, PFF rated his play on downfield passes (that is, throws that traveled more than 20 yards in the air).  He rated a 99.  He was something like 19/20.  One drop.  His strength was the biggest weakness of this team a year ago in the passing game.

I tried to figure out where I went wrong with Ross.  I remember thinking watching his tape at UW that he SO OFTEN had to stop his already-separated downfield sprint, come back and catch the ball, and then run by the defenders that had already flown by him as he stopped.  His QB was a complete noodle-arm.  I thought Ross with a strong arm QB could be lethal.  But then, he had so many issues with drops.  I won't kill the guy for his injuries and his attitude is a whole other matter, but he clearly has an issue tracking the ball when moving at full speed.  Not Chase.  He can be striding his absolute fastest and he still gracefully hands-catches the ball down field.  

It isn't a slight to Sewell, but I see SO MANY potential guys in Rd 2 that can start at RG and try to develop as the RT of the future.  Jackson Carman, Alex Leatherwood, Teven Jenkins, Jaylen Mayfield (who tested quite poorly), Sam Cosmi, and  Alaric Jackson.  If the Bengals get one of these guys in Rd 2, they would immediately upgrade the RG position and hopefully develop a future RT.  I would STILL draft Spencer Brown if he is there in the 3rd round as a developmental tackle that might need a redshirt-type of season.  He is a lottery ticket that could be the next Whitworth.  I LOVE that kid.  Extremely raw, but after a tough first day at the Senior Bowl (he didn't play in 2020, so that is understandable) he showed he belonged there and tested a perfect 100 (top of all the OTs) percentile.  
Reply/Quote