Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I don't think you guys realize HOW GOOD JaMarr Chase is
I think I'll be happy with Chase, Sewell, or Pitts. Getting pissy at taking any one of those 3 at the expense of 'your 1A' seems kind of silly and unhealthy. Take any of those 3 and...giddy-up!

Which means: Welcome Random CB at pick #15-something. Nervous
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:41 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My only concern was his height but, honestly, with a 41 inch vert, you can get away with average height. For reference, AJ Green is 4 inches taller, has 3.5 inch longer arms (3" longer wingspan total, so Chase must be a bit wider in the body) and put up a 34.5 inch vert and a 10'6" broad jump. Chase beat both of those measurements by 6 inches, which more than makes up for the difference in his physical dimensions. And, obviously ran over a tenth of a second faster in the 40.

I've also heard Chase has an unreal 2nd gear which he uses to shoot by cornerbacks still in their backpedal. Acceleration is a trait a little harder to determine, but that should help him get open in the NFL as well.

I'm getting pretty excited about the idea of Burrow and Chase reuniting, to be honest...I just hope we get a good OT and OG in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Maybe you can go pass rusher in the third, but I think an OL is imperative in the 2nd.)

I know this is the Bengals that we are talking about, and they rarely trade up or give up draft picks...but if they really like an OL guy in the late first then I am all about trading up to snag him. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:44 PM)pally Wrote:

They lead the NCAA all time in completions over 15 yards. That is just something you CAN NOT over look. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We passed the ball like 50x a game last year. I know we need to be good at running it too, but it seems like running the ball is almost an afterthought in Taylor's offense. 

I honestly believe they would run the ball a lot more if the running game was actually good.

But it's not. And it's not because of Mixon
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seems like the fan base is evenly split with the #5 pic. Regardless what the FO does, it's going to be wrong in 50% of the fans eyes.

Some of us will be happy with Sewell or Pitts/Chase. I feel bad for those that are so stuck on one player that they can’t get excited about the other guys.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Most people understand Chase is an AJ Green level talent. Most also can see what the Bengals accomplished with AJ while he was here.  

Part of that may have been Dalton, but a far larger part was the offensive line.  Take a look at this production chart for the offensive line 2006-2017. (AJ's 1st year was 2011).  With the exception of the 2014 line up the offensive line has been lacking.  

This chart stops at 2017 but the trend is clear and to fill in the gaps 2018 ranking: 27th. 2019 ranking: 30th, 2020: 30th.

[Image: Capture.JPG]

It does not matter how many game changing talents and play makers you have if your franchise QB gets a shredded knee and you trot out your backup and back up's back up every season. This is such a fundamentally simple concept that I can't believe it's still a discusion. Like a house with no doors and windows because you spent your money on the most crowd pleasing TV and sound system. Flash over substance.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So no players taken after pick 5 will be able to block in the NFL?

Well, apparently not as good. And also the Bengals don't have a good record in picking lower round talent at OL that works out.

Honestly, I would not hate Chase as the pick, but the biggest and most urgent issue is OLine, when it comes to the game and especially to keeping our QB healthy; and if there's a remarkably good OLiner available that is not a reach by any measure... I'd still say the wise thing is to take him.

Unless, of course, one thinks Riley Reiff will fix the OLine singlehandedly, or paired with a lower round draft pick that becomes an instant reliable starter. I am just not so optimistic about that.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:46 PM)Burma Wrote: It does not matter how many game changing talents and play makers you have if your franchise QB gets a shredded knee and you trot out your backup and back up's back up every season. This is such a fundamentally simple concept that I can't believe it's still a discusion. Like a house with no doors and windows because you spent your money on the most crowd pleasing TV and sound system. Flash over substance.

but bro.. we can get a quality tackle in round 3!!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:35 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Championship games are built in the trenches!

The two teams in the Super Bowl had the two best skill position set of players in the NFL. Trenches are important, but skill players are as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:47 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, apparently not as good. And also the Bengals don't have a good record in picking lower round talent at OL that works out.

Honestly, I would not hate Chase as the pick, but the biggest and most urgent issue is OLine, when it comes to the game and especially to keeping our QB healthy; and if there's a remarkably good OLiner available that is not a reach by any measure... I'd still say the wise thing is to take him.

Unless, of course, one thinks Riley Reiff will fix the OLine singlehandedly, or paired with a lower round draft pick that becomes an instant reliable starter. I am just not so optimistic about that.

I don’t really consider the 2nd “lower round.” And i hope they go OL on day 2 if we take Chase or Pitts.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:27 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This guy is a GENERATIONAL talent at WR. He's AJ Green with more speed and better measurables (that just came in from his pro day). There are currently like 4 guys in the NFL that have his measurables and ability. His pre existing chemistry/relationship with Burrow is just a cherry on top of the Sunday.

He's not Tee Higgins - he's on a completely different level.

I get protecting Burrow, but the Bengals HAVE to draft this guy with the 5th pick. He's just too much of a game changing talent not too. We should all be SALIVATING at the though of an offense consisting of Burrow, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and...JaMarr Chase. It would easily be a top 5 unit in the NFL.

NFL teams are built around game changing talent and playmakers. Yes, Sewell would be a great addition and sure help with protecting Burrow, but you only have so many chances to draft a talent like Chase over the course of history. The Bengals did it with AJ Green...we need to do it with JaMarr Chase.

No one is a generational talent till they prove it in the NFL  this is the most overused phrase ever around here come draft time
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:49 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The two teams in the Super Bowl had the two best skill position set of players in the NFL. Trenches are important, but skill players are as well.

and here are the posters who point out outliers that are outliers, but take it as "it's clearly just as important"

it's not.

Mahomes has 2 guys. Kelce and Tyreek. Everyone else is replaceable.

also the bucs have the best 4 man pass rush in the league. So that right there is TRENCHES.
Reply/Quote
The reason I lean towards Pitts because he's more versatile. He's a matchup nightmare. He's capable of operating as traditional receiver and lining outside.

At 6'6, 245 and with a 4.46 40 the man is a freak. If you look at his physical attributes he stands out like a Calvin Johnson did.

All this said, I love Chase too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I just think Pitts fills a bigger need, and can be moved around more in the offense.

Note: None of the above doesn't mean I don't like Sewell either. I'm not opposed to drafting him. But I lean towards these two because I think he's going to struggle a bit out of the gate, and I'm not sure he immediately transitions into a huge upgrade, whereas I think these two guys do. This team missed their opportunity for immediate OL help by ignoring the guard position in free agency, and I'm not so sure drafting this dude at #5 and moving him inside is the answer.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:44 PM)BurnsBengal Wrote: I think I'll be happy with Chase, Sewell, or Pitts.  Getting pissy at taking any one of those 3 at the expense of 'your 1A' seems kind of silly and unhealthy.  Take any of those 3 and...giddy-up!

Which means: Welcome Random CB at pick #15-something.    Nervous

If they get a Caleb Farley or Jaycee Horn along with a couple of future first RD picks and I would be ecstatic.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Some of us will be happy with Sewell or Pitts/Chase. I feel bad for those that are so stuck on one player that they can’t get excited about the other guys.

I'm going to be happy with any of the following:
Sewell
Chase
Pitts
Trade Back
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:49 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The two teams in the Super Bowl had the two best skill position set of players in the NFL. Trenches are important, but skill players are as well.

I think it’s hilarious that u fail to mention that based on the numbers both those offensive lines are top 5 in the league sooooo hush. Also those two teams started building up the weapons around their qb once their offensive lines were in tact. Smarten up bro. Both those teams made sure their offensive lines were at least solid at worst before worrying about shiny weapons on the outside for their qb. I’ll agree with u that both are very important but to suggest that wide receiver is more important than offensive line is bill burr comedy. Our qb has no legs and with a straight face u fools talk about Pitts and chase at 5 as if there isn’t a projected all world talent sitting there at our biggest need in Sewell. Y’all should be slapped but then again ur the bengals fan that is a contributor to the problem.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t really consider the 2nd “lower round.” And i hope they go OL on day 2 if we take Chase or Pitts.

I think he means early 2nd round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Mixon needs a good line to reach his full potential. We havent seen it yet

but hey, I guess the passing game could be so good that there would be no need to run the ball effectively at all

That just means the next coach will hopefully come in and take advantage of the talent he has versus changing every system in place and being too stubborn to adjust to what he has.  
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:46 PM)Burma Wrote: Most people understand Chase is an AJ Green level talent. Most also can see what the Bengals accomplished with AJ while he was here.  

Part of that may have been Dalton, but a far larger part was the offensive line.  Take a look at this production chart for the offensive line 2006-2017. (AJ's 1st year was 2011).  With the exception of the 2014 line up the offensive line has been lacking.  

This chart stops at 2017 but the trend is clear and to fill in the gaps 2018 ranking: 27th. 2019 ranking: 30th, 2020: 30th.

[Image: Capture.JPG]

It does not matter how many game changing talents and play makers you have if your franchise QB gets a shredded knee and you trot out your backup and back up's back up every season. This is such a fundamentally simple concept that I can't believe it's still a discusion. Like a house with no doors and windows because you spent your money on the most crowd pleasing TV and sound system. Flash over substance.

The offensive line is better than last year with the addition of Pollak, Reiff and with XSF getting healthy. Is it good enough yet? No, its not. 

I'm not saying ignore the OL in the draft. You can upgrade in the second round or even trade up to get a guy you want. I'm just saying not to do it with the 5th pick. 
Reply/Quote