Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I don't think you guys realize HOW GOOD JaMarr Chase is
(03-31-2021, 12:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Like thinking pick 5 is the end all be all to fixing an entire OL? I agree.

statistically a tackle in round 1 is more likely to pan out than a tackle in round 2

and if cincy drafts a round 1 tackle, they can kick him at guard for the 2021 season before Reiff moves on.

On the other end, an early round 2 pick of either a center or guard is more likely to pan out than a 3rd or later.

I think bengals need to draft line. It should be number 1 priority.

Burrow is so good that Higgins and Boyd can put up to 10 numbers.

and beefing up the o-line helps the running game. Why are people forgetting about the run game?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: and here are the posters who point out outliers that are outliers, but take it as "it's clearly just as important"

it's not.

Mahomes has 2 guys. Kelce and Tyreek. Everyone else is replaceable.

also the bucs have the best 4 man pass rush in the league. So that right there is TRENCHES.

Watkins, Robinson, and Hardman, Helaire are not anything to sneeze at. Tampa Bay also has Evans, Goodwin, Brown, Gronkowski and more of that after as well. There is SKILL. Let’s look at the top 4 teams left standing in the playoffs, their top WR were made up of Hill, Evans, Adam’s, and Diggs. Arguably 4 of the top 6 or 7 WR last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t really consider the 2nd “lower round.” And i hope they go OL on day 2 if we take Chase or Pitts.

Well, it is a lower round... but hey, if they take Chase and an OLiner with pick 37, this might be ok and I would not scream about it too loudly. I still find it less risky to try it the other way round, take the sure thing at OLine and try out a day 2 receiver. These picks have worked out better in the past, see Boyd or Higgins or Jones or Sanu... 
but protecting Burrow takes all precedence, for me anyway. If he is badly injured again (which I would consider unsurprising at this point), this might be it for another five years or so, Chase or no Chase.

And I did not really come across a great prospect at OLine that might sit there in round 2. But I might be missing one or two for sure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:49 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The two teams in the Super Bowl had the two best skill position set of players in the NFL. Trenches are important, but skill players are as well.

The Buccaneers had the best offensive line and defensive line combination this past season. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The reason I lean towards Pitts because he's more versatile.  He's a matchup nightmare.  He's capable of operating as traditional receiver and lining outside.

At 6'6, 245 and with a 4.46 40 the man is a freak.  If you look at his physical attributes he stands out like a Calvin Johnson did.

All this said, I love Chase too.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  I just think Pitts fills a bigger need, and can be moved around more in the offense.

Note:  None of the above doesn't mean I don't like Sewell either.  I'm not opposed to drafting him. But I lean towards these two because I think he's going to struggle a bit out of the gate, and I'm not sure he immediately transitions into a huge upgrade, whereas I think these two guys do.  This team missed their opportunity for immediate OL help by ignoring the guard position in free agency, and I'm not so sure drafting this dude at #5 and moving him inside is the answer.

My biggest problem with Pitts isn't Pitts himself...its the Bengals. I honestly don't know if this staff is capable to maximize what Pitts can do for them. Do I trust them to take advantage of those said matchups and to scheme things for him? No...I really don't. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote:  
I know this is the Bengals that we are talking about, and they rarely trade up or give up draft picks...but if they really like an OL guy in the late first then I am all about trading up to snag him. 

I wouldn't be opposed to it. Honestly, my worst fear is 2019 occurring again (5 OL went from picks 31 to pick 40 when we picked 41st)
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:56 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: statistically a tackle in round 1 is more likely to pan out than a tackle in round 2

and if cincy drafts a round 1 tackle, they can kick him at guard for the 2021 season before Reiff moves on.

On the other end, an early round 2 pick of either a center or guard is more likely to pan out than a 3rd or later.

I think bengals need to draft line. It should be number 1 priority.

Burrow is so good that Higgins and Boyd can put up to 10 numbers.

and beefing up the o-line helps the running game. Why are people forgetting about the run game?

They aren’t. However our WR core had the LOWEST separation of any WR last year. Can’t be successful when every throw is contested.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We passed the ball like 50x a game last year. I know we need to be good at running it too, but it seems like running the ball is almost an afterthought in Taylor's offense. 

Passing it 50 times is what led to burrows injury. The bengals are doing to burrow what everyone before drafting burrow told burrow to be worried about. “Ur just gonna get killed in Cincinnati”. Welp what do u know happened. Yet here we are few months later and we are talking wide receiver at 5 lmao
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:57 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Watkins, Robinson, and Hardman, Helaire are not anything to sneeze at. Tampa Bay also has Evans, Goodwin, Brown, Gronkowski and more of that after as well. There is SKILL. Let’s look at the top 4 teams left standing in the playoffs, their top WR were made up of Hill, Evans, Adam’s, and Diggs. Arguably 4 of the top 6 or 7 WR last year.

Evans Godwin Brown and Gronk are great skill players. 

Watkins Robinson and Hardman are products of Mahomes. Easily replaceable

Mahomes is good enough to elevate below average players into average guys. 

Burrow can too. But Mahomes has a good line when not injured.

Burrow does not. Even with Reiff and Pollack, the line isnt good.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:57 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Watkins, Robinson, and Hardman, Helaire are not anything to sneeze at. Tampa Bay also has Evans, Goodwin, Brown, Gronkowski and more of that after as well. There is SKILL. Let’s look at the top 4 teams left standing in the playoffs, their top WR were made up of Hill, Evans, Adam’s, and Diggs. Arguably 4 of the top 6 or 7 WR last year.

People act like there's only one way to win in the NFL. Believe it or not, you CAN win with an elite offensive unit and a bad offensive line. You CAN win with an elite pass rush and mediocre offense. You CAN win with a dominant offensive line and run first offense. 

I'm picking to win with an ELITE offensive unit and mediocre offensive line. You cant be elite everywhere, you have to pick and choose. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:59 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: They aren’t. However our WR core had the LOWEST separation of any WR last year. Can’t be successful when every throw is contested.

Yes u can. Because both boyd and Higgins were successful last year and question for you. We have two stud wide receivers and then we have a horrible offensive line and a dead qb. Should we draft another wide receiver or should we protect our fricken franchise. WAKE UP!!!!!!! This team has hit on WR time and time again in rounds outside the first. How many times have they hit on lineman outside the first???? This pic needs to be Sewell and when it’s chase everyone that bashes the bengals for the pick will be right.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:59 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: They aren’t. However our WR core had the LOWEST separation of any WR last year. Can’t be successful when every throw is contested.

blah blah blah this argument is crap. WR's come in different shapes and sizes. Boyd is a strong physical slot receiver, and Higgins is a big strong outside receiver.

Burrow is not average. Burrow can thread the needle

Anquan Boldin was a guy who'd make contested catches with minimal seperation. I guess that means Boldin wasnt good enough

Kenny Golladay doesnt get much seperation. He isnt good enough to be a number 1 I guess...
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 01:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People act like there's only one way to win in the NFL. Believe it or not, you CAN win with an elite offensive unit and a bad offensive line. You CAN win with an elite pass rush and mediocre offense. You CAN win with a dominant offensive line and run first offense. 

I'm picking to win with an ELITE offensive unit and mediocre offensive line. You cant be elite everywhere, you have to pick and choose. 

Gimme a team with elite weapons but an offensive line as bad as Cincinnati and show me there win loss.... thanks for wasting our time
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 01:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People act like there's only one way to win in the NFL. Believe it or not, you CAN win with an elite offensive unit and a bad offensive line. You CAN win with an elite pass rush and mediocre offense. You CAN win with a dominant offensive line and run first offense. 

teams that win super bowls with mediocre offensive lines usually have a decent run game that eats up clock

More importantly, the teams that win superbowls with mediocre offensive lines have ALL TIME DEFENSES.
Reply/Quote

I don’t think you can win with a bad OL. But you also don’t need an elite one either. Look around the league and there’s tons of later round picks on good teams OL’s. If we give Burrow even an adequate OL and great weapons he’s going to light it up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 01:00 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Evans Godwin Brown and Gronk are great skill players. 

Watkins Robinson and Hardman are products of Mahomes. Easily replaceable

Mahomes is good enough to elevate below average players into average guys. 

Burrow can too. But Mahomes has a good line when not injured.

Burrow does not. Even with Reiff and Pollack, the line isnt good.

You realize the combination of Higgins and Boyd is easily the slowest in the league? Don’t get me wrong, but just look at Higgins against the Colts and Steelers wide open caught it had daylight and was caught from behind. Only reason Boyd scored on long catch (longest of his career) against Miami is poor angle by Miami Defender.

We had the most 10 or more play drives last year. One may look at that as a positive, but it also means we couldn’t have any quick strike drives. No one was afraid of us getting beat deep, Chase changes that. Also don’t forget Mixon also has no breakaway speed. I believe his longest is still only 40ish yards. He gets caught from behind A LOT.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 01:04 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Gimme a team with elite weapons but an offensive line as bad as Cincinnati and show me there win loss....  thanks for wasting our time

we cant get through to them. These people absolutely deserve to have Mike Brown as the owner of their football team lmao
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 12:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seems like the fan base is evenly split with the #5 pic. Regardless what the FO does, it's going to be wrong in 50% of the fans eyes.

You are right about that. Personally, whether we take Chase, Pitts, Sewell or Slater, all of them will upgrade the team and that is the bottom line. OL is deep in the draft but so is WR. That being said, I'm leaning more towards Chase at this point. Especially after signing Reiff and re-signing Spain. But any of those 4 players will help the team and that's the point of the draft. I wont be upset either way. I'm just glad the draft is deep at both of our biggest positions of need.
Reply/Quote
Talent gap between Chase and 2nd round receiver is greater than Sewell and 2nd round Olineman.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 01:06 PM)bengaloo Wrote: You are right about that. Personally, whether we take Chase, Pitts, Sewell or Slater, all of them will upgrade the team and that is the bottom line. OL is deep in the draft but so is WR. That being said, I'm leaning more towards Chase at this point. Especially after signing Reiff and re-signing Spain. But any of those 4 players will help the team and that's the point of the draft. I wont be upset either way. 

I’m personally on the Chase bandwagon, but if they go Sewell, I’ll understand it and look forward to him in Stripes.
Reply/Quote