Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life
Damn, I just took time to read some of the responses here.

Are the same folks that are praising Andy actually slamming Andrew Luck? If so; consider that the moment you lost all objectivity.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Average can and have won Superbowls as already demonstrated on the previous page.

Edit:

I was very fair to Andrew Luck.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Tyrod Taylor has a higher career QB rating than Andy. Why would folks be "done" if someone suggested he take over the helm?

Let me guess..."eyeball test".

Andy Dalton is, has been, and will be an average NFL starting QB. There;s a reason it's known as the Dalton line and it's solely because of #14.

Do we need to get rid of him? No. Would we be handicapped if we did? No. Will the same folks blame him for his average play and the other same folks blame everything else for his average play? Yes.

Dude is what he is: AVERAGE

He's not a guy that you have to replace immediately if you don't like your options in the draft, but he's also not untouchable if you do.  

If Taylor comes in and wants another quarterback in round one this year or next, I think he'll get one.  If the team can get out of paying Dalton another big contract and start over with a rookie, then they should.  Andy is probably worth more than he's getting paid right now on the open market.  That's how you win a title in this league right now.  Get a good qb on a rookie deal, then stack your team before you dish out a big contract.  

The Bengals had a great chance to exercise this philosophy at the beginning of the Dalton-Green era.  In typical fashion, they screwed it up royally and continued to avoid signing impact free agents.  I personally believe that it cost them a deep playoff run/possible title.  Time to get back in that position and do it right this time.    
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:43 AM)samhain Wrote: He's not a guy that you have to replace immediately if you don't like your options in the draft, but he's also not untouchable if you do.  

If Taylor comes in and wants another quarterback in round one this year or next, I think he'll get one.  If the team can get out of paying Dalton another big contract and start over with a rookie, then they should.  Andy is probably worth more than he's getting paid right now on the open market.  That's how you win a title in this league right now.  Get a good qb on a rookie deal, then stack your team before you dish out a big contract.  

The Bengals had a great chance to exercise this philosophy at the beginning of the Dalton-Green era.  In typical fashion, the screwed it up royally and continued to avoid signing impact free agents.  I personally believe that it cost them a deep playoff run/possible title.  Time to get back in that position and do it right this time.    

Solid post.

The thing the Andy Army is missing is that they shake their fist as "reaching" for a QB. Yet are completely fine with "reaching" for folks that can make 2015 seem like it wasn't an anomaly.

With the current CB taking a QB in the first is no bigger risk than taking any other position in the first.

Personally I like the kid out of Mizzou, but I'm terrible at picking QBs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I honestly just want one season under a new coaching staff. It has kind of been a dream since Sand Diego. I have even suggested trading Dalton to see it happen.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Solid post.

The thing the Andy Army is missing is that they shake their fist as "reaching" for a QB. Yet are completely fine with "reaching" for folks that can make 2015 seem like it wasn't an anomaly.

With the current CB taking a QB in the first is no bigger risk than taking any other position in the first.

Personally I like the kid out of Mizzou, but I'm terrible at picking QBs

I'm not a fan of Lock.  He's got a great arm, but his vision and accuracy are pretty questionable.  I think he'd be a guy that would have to sit for a year.  Daniel Jones from Duke is interesting, though.  He's drawing Carson Wentz comparisons.  All in all, not a great year for a first round qb, but I'd trust Taylor if he felt otherwise.  

I don't hate Andy, but anyone that doesn't see what's going on now for what it is isn't paying attention.  We are in a rebuild.  A full-scale overhaul rebuild.  The coach and coordinators are out the door.  Logically, the quarterback would seem to be next.  

They have a decision to make with Dalton.  He's been a good soldier with his current deal.  Why would he do that on his second?  A new foundation is being built, and there's a pretty good chance that Andy won't be part of this team if/when it becomes competitive again. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:54 PM)McC Wrote: Plus, the defense sucked in every playoff game but the Steeler debacle in '15 and the game plans sucked.  The whole team sucked yet all but one guy gets a pass.   That is some high quality objectivity right there.

They held Houston to only 19 points in 2012.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:13 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Yep. I know Dalton was happy to have a new offense under Lazor, but that really went south without Green and Eifert.

Fixing the damn OL is such an obvious move that it's really been mind numbing to watch the team do very little about the problem. Remember when they signed Hart and we all thought he was just a camp body. Then we find out that's all they were going to do about the right side of the line and it was like, what?

Now Dalton gets his 3rd offense in 3 years. The nice part is that he coaches have the players for a couple of weeks extra this off season.

What really hurt the OL were the selections of Ogbuehi and Fisher. They were supposed to be the bookends of the future. Neither has had even a solid season in their entire careers. And this org was too stubborn to replace them until it was too late. They also didn’t invest enough in FA or the draft. They took a gamble on Glenn who was good a few years ago before injuries but hasn’t been good since he became a Bengal. We all know Hart was not good.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 01:09 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What really hurt the OL were the selections of Ogbuehi and Fisher. They were supposed to be the bookends of the future. Neither has had even a solid season in their entire careers. And this org was too stubborn to replace them until it was too late. They also didn’t invest enough in FA or the draft. They took a gamble on Glenn who was good a few years ago before injuries but hasn’t been good since he became a Bengal. We all know Hart was not good.

They have absolutely no choice but to address it in free agency.  The hole is just too big.  Unless the spend their first two picks on the OL, it's the only way.  Hart and Redmond are FA and should be gone.  I have to imagine Taylor will be given some leeway in free agency to get the team to a place he's comfortable with.  Marvin got Tory James, John Thornton, Reggie Kelly, and Kevin Hardy.  I would expect Taylor to get the same option in year one.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Damn, I just took time to read some of the responses here.

Are the same folks that are praising Andy actually slamming Andrew Luck?  If so; consider that the moment you lost all objectivity.
Well maybe you missed some points, announcer said too much pressure on luck tonight he did not have a good game and i pointed out rhat many dont accept that with Dalton,  second Luck was #1 pick and after  1st season was going to lead Colts to Super Bowl so please tell me after 7 years have rhey made it? Also in 2015, 16 and 18 he has started as QB his record is 20 and 18 with 1 playoff appearance not what we expected from the top pick in draft by this point in his career.  He is a good QB but has not lived up to his #1 pick status especially over last 3 starting seasons he has played unless you are ok with 20 and 18 record and 1 playoff appearance from t
The #1 pick and most hyped QB in recent draft memories
Reply/Quote
Ugh. Let the new HC decide what he wants at QB. If he wants someone in this draft, so be it...but keep in mind that Mahomes, Goff, Trubisky, etc have all been needing a year before they were truly ready. Dalton would make for a fine Alex Smith in the meantime, and he's cheaper than Alex Smith was when Mahomes was drafted.

Cordy Glenn is an easy cut. So is Michael Johnson and a few others. We can cut fat in other areas to address the line. This isn't difficult.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 01:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ugh. Let the new HC decide what he wants at QB. If he wants someone in this draft, so be it...but keep in mind that Mahomes, Goff, Trubisky, etc have all been needing a year before they were truly ready. Dalton would make for a fine Alex Smith in the meantime, and he's cheaper than Alex Smith was when Mahomes was drafted.

Cordy Glenn is an easy cut. So is Michael Johnson and a few others. We can cut fat in other areas to address the line. This isn't difficult.
So you cut the 2nd best lineman we had last year by rating and a lineman in his career that has performed much better than any tackle on our roster. I dont think so
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 02:05 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you cut the 2nd best lineman we had last year by rating and a lineman in his career that has performed much better than any tackle on our roster. I dont think so

Being the second best on that OL doesn’t mean much. I thought he was pretty bad tbh.

I’d be fine with cutting him, the only problem is who replaces him?

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 01:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ugh. Let the new HC decide what he wants at QB. If he wants someone in this draft, so be it...but keep in mind that Mahomes, Goff, Trubisky, etc have all been needing a year before they were truly ready. Dalton would make for a fine Alex Smith in the meantime, and he's cheaper than Alex Smith was when Mahomes was drafted.

There's no way Glenn gets cut.  He's the only tackle on the roster after FA hits, and from what I understand, his contract isn't all that tough to keep.  You expect this team two get three brand new tackles this offseason?  This team isn't in a position to let Cordy Glenn walk right now.  If we find some good/servicebale Its by this time next year, then sure.  
Reply/Quote
I’d be fine with cutting Glenn. If he can be effective at guard, he might be worth keeping but otherwise let him be a casualty of the rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:37 AM)HuDey Wrote: I’d be fine with cutting Glenn. If he can be effective at guard, he might be worth keeping but otherwise let him be a casualty of the rebuild.

Again, who plays LT next season?

Reply/Quote
Some of the "cuts" people come up with on this board amaze me.....
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:34 PM)McC Wrote: Wait a minute.  Dalton sucks but you want Tyrod Taylor?  We're done here.

Tyrod Taylor has a better career qb rating than dalton

But I guess that doesn’t matter.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:56 AM)TrevBengal Wrote: Tyrod Taylor has a better career qb rating than dalton

But I guess that doesn’t matter.

Have you ever watched him play?  Hot doo doo.  No business being an NFL QB.  Without a dominant running game, he is absolutely worthless.  The rating is due to not turning the ball over, which is the only redeeming quality he has.  Last year's playoff performance against the Jags was beyond dreadful.  The dude suxx.

If he was our starting QB, you'd want him dead in three weeks.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 07:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Again, who plays LT next season?

Move Glenn to guard, pick up 2 FA Tackles in Trent Brown, Daryl Williams or Ja’wan James.....Line fixed.
Reply/Quote