Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
I expect the coaching changes to give Dalton a new lease on his Bengals life
(01-12-2019, 02:56 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Oh yeah forgot the other was in the regular season. My bad. Still better than Dalton's line right?

Sadly, yes. Dalton's stat line was horrifyingly bad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:47 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Lets not put the cart before the horse here. New staff will evaluate players and they will determine what they need and whom they need to replace. Most likely, the HC will have already said Andy is at LEAST a good short term solution . He has 2 years left of a cheap QB deal which gives the new staff time to make improvements and figure out the best course. That could mean drafting a QB this year, next year or year after.

It is almost impossible to know what Taylor thinks of Dalton., and he probably only has an outside opinion at this point. He needs to sit with him in meetings, see him practice, etc.

I am not a huge Dalton fan but we need so much LB and OL help first and foremost.

Another factor is the HC will know how patient this team is so even if he says he wants to work with Dalton for a full season to evaluate him he knows this makes sense to the Browns.

I started to make a post, twice, and deleted it both times because i didn't want this to turn into another Dalton thread, but what i was going to say is pretty much what you just posted. 

:andy:

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 10:55 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: This will Dalton's fifth OC in 8 years I do believe. He's had Gruden, Jackson, Zampese, Lazor and now a new OC yet to be named.

Two years is all he gets from me. This first year will take time to get things down and the wrinkles ironed out but there should be improvement. It will be the 2020 season though that will tell the tale and if little improvement is shown this coming season, 2020 will see the draft of Dalton's replacement and then 2021 will see a new QB.

Two years is all Dalton gets from me.

That's a bit misleading.  He's had different coordinators, but has only really played in 2 systems.  Hue and Zampese basically just tweaked Gruden's playbook.  Lazor didn't get to install a whole new offense until this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:04 PM)McC Wrote: I realize ripping on Dalton and laughing at other people's ideas and calling people stupid are your go to moves, but I have yet to see any of your ideas.  Kinda makes me wonder if you actually have any.

You want Dalton gone at all costs yet you never express your plan to get rid of him.  Do you have one?  Once you toss Dalton, what are you gonna do about a QB?

Gotta stay in your safe place behind a wall and fire shots ya know.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Gotta stay in your safe place behind a wall and fire shots ya know.

So far...crickets, like I expected.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:04 PM)McC Wrote: I realize ripping on Dalton and laughing at other people's ideas and calling people stupid are your go to moves, but I have yet to see any of your ideas.  Kinda makes me wonder if you actually have any.

You want Dalton gone at all costs yet you never express your plan to get rid of him.  Do you have one?  Once you toss Dalton, what are you gonna do about a QB?

Try and trade Andy. If can’t, cut.

Cut Huber and Tez and Glenn

Between the 4 thats liken35 million in cap room

Sign CJ Mosley, Daryl Williams and maybe a cheap TE

Sign a mobile qb like Taylor or Bridgewater

Draft the LSU lb or Haskins. OT or OG in second
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Sadly, yes. Dalton's stat line was horrifyingly bad.

:andy: It was.

Meanwhile TJ Yates has a PO win and Nick Foles a SB win working on another. Rodgers and Brees 1, Rivers 0.  Manning 1 - the other needed a TEAM effort. Marino 0, Eli 2,  Hostetler 1, Dilfer 1

The NFL sure is funny.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:31 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Try and trade Andy. If can’t, cut.

Cut Huber and Tez and Glenn

Between the 4 thats liken35 million in cap room

Sign CJ Mosley, Daryl Williams and maybe a cheap TE

Draft the LSU lb or Haskins.  OT or OG in second

Wait a minute.  Dalton sucks but you want Tyrod Taylor?  We're done here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:31 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Try and trade Andy. If can’t, cut.

*snip*

*snip*

Now I know you're a troll.  Welcome to my ignore list.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:34 PM)McC Wrote: Wait a minute.  Dalton sucks but you want Tyrod Taylor?  We're done here.

Yeah i'm out too.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:39 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Yeah i'm out too.

Tyrod makes Jeff Driskel look like Joe Montana.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:34 PM)McC Wrote: Wait a minute.  Dalton sucks but you want Tyrod Taylor?  We're done here.

Yep. Similar to what the bears did last year.

Signed glennon as a crappy stopgap

Shored up the key areas of the team via draft and trades and FAs

Drafted their qb

Year two, they turn the keys to the young guy and are contenders

Tyrod or even Bridge would just be a temp stopgap they are more mobile and may be able to keep it interesting until the takeover
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:46 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Yep. Similar to what the bears did last year.

Signed glennon as a crappy stopgap

Shored up the key areas of the team via draft and trades and FAs

Drafted their qb

Year two, they turn the keys to the young guy and are contenders

Tyrod or even Bridge would just be a temp stopgap they are more mobile and may be able to keep it interesting until the takeover

But the QB you seek is not in this year's draft.  So now you're treading water for two years, maybe three.  I would kill myself if I had to watch Tyrod for two or three years.

Makes way more sense to shore up the weak areas, and there are plenty, then take a QB.  In this year's draft, my philosophy would be to be open to taking a QB but not dead set on it to the point of reaching or missing.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:31 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Cut Huber and Tez and Glenn

Wait, what??? Why the hell do you want to cut one of the better punters in the game?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:53 PM)McC Wrote: But the QB you seek is not in this year's draft.  So now you're treading water for two years, maybe three.  I would kill myself if I had to watch Tyrod for two or three years.

Makes way more sense to shore up the weak areas, and there are plenty, then take a QB.  In this year's draft, my philosophy would be to be open to taking a QB but not dead set on it to the point of reaching or missing.

Well they can’t miss.

If they need to trade up to get their guy, do it.

Haskins. Murray. Lock. I like the qbs in the draft
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:55 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: Well they can’t miss.

If they need to trade up to get their guy, do it.

Haskins. Murray. Lock.  I like the qbs in the draft

Well, this is all pie in the sky until the new coach comes in and decides what he wants to do.    But even if they draft a guy, he still might want to go with Dalton for a year.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:57 PM)McC Wrote: Well, this is all pie in the sky until the new coach comes in and decides what he wants to do.    But even if they draft a guy, he still might want to go with Dalton for a year.

I think Andy’s money should
Be invested in OL and LB Carrying 28mill on qbs would be silly when the team needs so much
Reply/Quote
Just look at the posts and when it joined the forum. It's fairly evident we have a poster who normally resides under a bridge.

We also seem to have all the usual Anti-Andy suspects showing up.

The reality is the offense is going nowhere until the Offensive Line is fixed. One bad characteristic of all the playoff losses and indeed of our more recent issues is both lines getting punked. Anyone remember our vaunted defense getting blown off the ball in all of those playoff games except one? Or the OL likewise being blown off the ball?

We have a new HC incoming. Let's find out who it is and who they go with to run the offense. That they seem to be keeping Pollack and let Lazor go is a sign they recognize the issue that is the Offensive Line.
Reply/Quote

Exactly! The Dalton line certainly is an operating point where a QB worse than him isn't going to be a franchise QB, even a bad franchise QB. Tyrod is barely even up to being more than a stop gap guy for a few games while you get your rookie ready.

Dalton is an average QB and a poor man's franchise QB. But he's better than no QB or a bad QB.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 04:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Exactly! The Dalton line certainly is an operating point where a QB worse than him isn't going to be a franchise QB, even a bad franchise QB. Tyrod is barely even up to being more than a stop gap guy for a few games while you get your rookie ready.

Dalton is an average QB and a poor man's franchise QB. But he's better than no QB or a bad QB.

you are missing the point.  I want Tyrod or Bridgewater as the stopgap

Just like Taylor was for Mayfield this year

and Glennon was for MT last year in Chicago

Dalton 14 million can be spent on QUALITY young FA OL and LB.  

I suppose you could also go the way of KC last year, and draft your guy and then let him sit behind Dalton for a year

But, I think the team needs to make a heavy dent in key areas in FA - and Daltons $ would help do that 
Reply/Quote