Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know it’s preseason but my hype for the season died a little
Our starting o line looked like absolute trash and our starting defense didn’t look that great either. Again, I know it’s preseason. But our starters didn’t look great except for our D-line
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
So game 1 gave people Superbowl aspirations and game 2 has people hoping to just be able to scrap out one win. Sounds about right.
Reply/Quote
Same here. Again, it's preseason. Keep in mind too, that we were more vanilla than vanilla on offense. Again, field position played into it, but you're right. The OLine is still garbage on the right side (Hart almost got Andy killed on one play), and nothing special on the left side. Just meh.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1st team offence was totally absent they get a D+. Time to shut AJ Green down till the opener. Looks like my boys got 7-9 written all over them.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:28 AM)John Shaft Wrote: 1st team offence was totally absent they get a D+. Time to shut AJ Green down till the opener. Looks like my boys got 7-9 written all over them.

Yeah this team is still flawed our offensive line doesn’t look any better.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
A bad performance in PS can be better than a good one
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Overaction much?
We're better on the offensive line then we were last year with the addition of Price and Glenn. The right side needs some work still but I think Westerman and Hopkins could answer those problems or at least make it average.
LB looks a lot better than last season, D line is deep, we have good corners, and Solid safeties on defense.
Offensively- solid left side of the line but the right side is bad . however we have a very good Qb in Andy, deep WR core, and deep RBs. We're a playoff and super bowl caliber team still.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The Bengals offense was horrific and it starts with the QB. 2 easy throws to Green running wide open for huge gains amounts to nothing. You can't have that for an offense that is already shaky.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A bad performance in PS can be better than a good one

Very much agree.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A bad performance in PS can be better than a good one

Yep. Dog days of camp. They get to regroup, free of charge.
Reply/Quote
I was worried about our depth after last week's game. The first team was great and the second teamers were terrible. This week the second teamers looked great. I eased my mind that we have some depth for injuries, or if a guy is having a bad game. And it reminded me that each game has its own flow. I still think we end up better than our 7-9 record last year.
Reply/Quote
It's preseason. That was easily the most vanilla preseason game I've seen, on both sides of the ball. I kept pointing back to the 2015 Tampa Bay preseason game in the game thread, mostly trying to calm myself down. However, a few things concerned me.

Coach Austin's defense gave me flashbacks to chuck bresnahans soft, hands-off shit defense. Both of these DC's appear to want to live and die by the turnover, so we can only hope we didn't hire Bresnahan 2.0 once the games get real.

Obviously, the offensive line looked horrific (OG and Hart should both be cut immediately), but that's not a real surprise. Tossing PA aside was nice and all, but for the most part the OLine is still a work in progress. I fully expect the OLine to be a major weakness for the third year in a row. God only knows why his team continues to try and shove square pegs into round holes (i.e. Keeping scrubs like OG and Hart around).

No kicker competition? Are you kidding me?? Brown looks every bit the part. How you won't even give him a fair shot makes absolutely no sense.

Marv is looking and sounding exactly how he did last year. Unmotivated, clueless... Going through the motions (and the buffet line for thirds and fourths).

Could be a long year, folks.
Reply/Quote
They will have a ton of film to watch this week and correct some things. Overall, they did look weak. I am impressed with how good the tackling has improved.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:01 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's preseason. That was easily the most vanilla preseason game I've seen, on both sides of the ball. I kept pointing back to the 2015 Tampa Bay preseason game in the game thread, mostly trying to calm myself down. However, a few things concerned me.

Coach Austin's defense gave me flashbacks to chuck bresnahans soft, hands-off shit defense. Both of these DC's appear to want to live and die by the turnover, so we can only hope we didn't hire Bresnahan 2.0 once the games get real.

Obviously, the offensive line looked horrific (OG and Hart should both be cut immediately), but that's not a real surprise. Tossing PA aside was nice and all, but for the most part the OLine is still a work in progress. I fully expect the OLine to be a major weakness for the third year in a row. God only knows why his team continues to try and shove square pegs into round holes (i.e. Keeping scrubs like OG and Hart around).

No kicker competition? Are you kidding me?? Brown looks every bit the part. How you won't even give him a fair shot makes absolutely no sense.

Marv is looking and sounding exactly how he did last year. Unmotivated, clueless... Going through the motions (and the buffet line for thirds and fourths).

Wow, RELAX everyone!

I do remember that Tampa Bay game in 2015.  If I recall that was the 3rd preseason game so even worse.  Everyone was all doom and gloom and whammo the Bengals go 8-0 out of the gate.

Preseason is absolutely meaningless and about trying different things with little to no scheming.  I remember the Colts with Peyton Manning going 0-4 almost every year in preseason, and I believe the Browns were 4-0 last year.

It is troubling to see the 1's get manhandled but how about we let the process play out and hold judgement until at least a couple games into the season.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:31 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: The Bengals offense was horrific and it starts with the QB. 2 easy throws to Green running wide open for huge gains amounts to nothing.  You can't have that for that is already shaky.

Totally disagree, the second throw, you had a safety coverage he actually put it out there to beat that safety .. that was not a terrible throw. Andy missed on the first throw for sure but one pass does not make the QB the issue.  Andy played well under the pressure in the short time he was in there.. the problem is we could not run the ball and had 3rd and longs each of the 3 series i believe and with a line that was not protecting well 3rd and longs are way worse since you have to dump it short or be sacked..  The play of the Oline last nite was subpar with bad field position made it a bad quarter and a half.. at same time, ive seen this team and many other teams in a real game overcome terrible 1st quarters.
Reply/Quote
If we just blow through all 4 preseason games like we did in Chicago, the coaches will not know where the weaknesses are to fix. 1st team stunk it up last night, so now it's all on tape and will be worked on this week. Nothing to worry about...…. yet.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:01 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's preseason. That was easily the most vanilla preseason game I've seen, on both sides of the ball. I kept pointing back to the 2015 Tampa Bay preseason game in the game thread, mostly trying to calm myself down. However, a few things concerned me.

I wasn't in the game thread and just created my own 2015 Buccs comparison post. Just saw this post and I completely agree!!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:10 AM)Trademark Wrote: Our starting o line looked like absolute trash and our starting defense didn’t look that great either. Again, I know it’s preseason. But our starters didn’t look great except for our D-line

It is "overreaction Sunday" since the game was on Saturday...but I am with you 100%.

What pisses me off is what I saw from a coaching standpoint.  Vanilla. Slide protection and rushes.  I am not saying give away your entire playbook, but how about practicing the "firing off the ball" we heard so much of?  They hardly did that scheme at all!  And it showed, a pathetic 2 ypc.

I don't care if you are "giving something away" if you don't know how to drive block a guy in short yardage, you won't suddenly be able to in the regular season.  

Ditto the stupid-ass cushion in our zone defense.  Anyone could check down to a TE or RB that has no one within 5 yards.  

Pathetic effort by the coaches.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 11:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is "overreaction Sunday" since the game was on Saturday...but I am with you 100%.

What pisses me off is what I saw from a coaching standpoint.  Vanilla. Slide protection and rushes.  I am not saying give away your entire playbook, but how about practicing the "firing off the ball" we heard so much of?  They hardly did that scheme at all!  And it showed, a pathetic 2 ypc.

I don't care if you are "giving something away" if you don't know how to drive block a guy in short yardage, you won't suddenly be able to in the regular season.  

Ditto the stupid-ass cushion in our zone defense.  Anyone could check down to a TE or RB that has no one within 5 yards.  

Pathetic effort by the coaches.  

I'm not sure that the scheme is the problem, or the fact that the LBs are just THAT bad. Preston Brown looked like a Undrafted Rookie FA out there. We have 0 depth at that position and I think it will be easy for teams to nickel and dime us down the field.

No matter what people think of Vontaze, this defense NEEDS him in there.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:22 AM)Daddy-O Wrote:  and I believe the Browns were 4-0 last year.

They were, but they were also 0-4 in the preseason before going 1-15 in 2016.  Not saying the final score of pre-season matters, but seeing us look like a team that hasn't improved in key areas following 2 losing seasons in a row is a little "eep" worthy.
Reply/Quote