Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm done!!
I'm done pouting and being upset about the events that transpired yesterday, regarding the Bengals. I mean, c'mon, many of us predicted, a few years ago, that we wouldn't be able to keep all of the talent that was on the roster. Throwing huge money at Whitworth would have been a poor business decision for the team. Whitworth would have been stupid to not have taken the money. The team drafted a pair of tackles with their top two picks, just two years ago, in preparation for Whitworth to ride off into the sunset. The day has now come, and all we can do now is hope that those guys develop into the players that they were drafted so highly to be.

I think that many of us knew, deep in our hearts that the team wasn't going to offer any serious money to Zeitler. We all know that the organization does not put big money into the interior of the OL. Not a philosophy that I agree with, just the reality of the situation. Once again, all we can do is hope that one of the guys on the bench is ready to step up into the starting role.

You see that I've had to resort to using "hope" in both of the previous paragraphs, and there is a good reason. Being a lifelong fan of the Bengals takes a lot of hope. Hope, patience, and most of all, optimism. Being a fan of the Bengals isn't for the weak of character, the bandwagon fan, or anyone that loves to follow a frontrunner. No sir, in order to be a Bengal fan, one must be completely comfortable with the knowledge that the organization is hell bent on producing mediocrity, and love them anyway. Here's to the eternal optimist in all of us, Go Bengals!

P.S. I'll bet a couple of you thought this was going to be my fan resignation letter, didn't you? Takes more that to get rid of me, my heart is made of titanium, and it has been trampled on by way meaner bitches than Mike Brown..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
One of my dad's favorite sayings is "Whaddya gonna do?"

Whaddya gonna do...

Reply/Quote
Great post, Sunset. I get where everyone's coming from with the negative. I agree with you about the stupid realities we've created, and I'm talking about the rules governing salary caps and that stupid stuff. It's really hurt the game in alot of ways. The folks who talk about the Bengals as Mike Brown's business are 100% correct. And we should feel uneasy about the immediate future of the team's won-loss record and playoff/Super Bowl record. Losing our two best Olinemen is devastating! I'd have never guessed that Clint Boling would ever be the best olineman on our team. Well, he is now, but it's a pretty low bar.

Just look around the league. This happens to teams pretty often. The big question is how quickly can we recover from this loss, especially of Whit because of his presence on the team? I guess we'll see just how much of this team is Andy Dalton's team.

But I'm with you. I try to stay optimistic. The rest is just stupid silly entertainment. Have fun with it.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I've been a Bengals fan for 30+ years. Like you, I'm always 'hopeful' and relatively optimistic going into every season...but at the same time, no matter how well things may be going, there's always that lingering cynicism that says 'something is guaranteed going to go wrong'. 

You're right, being a Bengals fan isn't for the faint-hearted. I think Bengals fans are among the most loyal and dedicated in all of sports...despite a clueless owner, the 90's, 26 years without a playoff win, record setting postseason futility, etc, etc, ect. 

Once you've become an invested Bengals fan, it's very hard to change your stripes. The 'hope' you talk about is the drug that keeps us all addicted and coming back for more.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 06:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've been a Bengals fan for 30+ years. Like you, I'm always 'hopeful' and relatively optimistic going into every season...but at the same time, no matter how well things may be going, there's always that lingering cynicism that says 'something is guaranteed going to go wrong'. 

You're right, being a Bengals fan isn't for the faint-hearted. I think Bengals fans are among the most loyal and dedicated in all of sports...despite a clueless owner, the 90's, 26 years without a playoff win, record setting postseason futility, etc, etc, ect. 

Once you've become an invested Bengals fan, it's very hard to change your stripes. The 'hope' you talk about is the drug that keeps us all addicted and coming back for more.

Great words, 'Holic.  You're right, people have to make a conscious decision to be a Bengals fan.  Likely why despite being one of the smallest fan bases, we are also so tightly close knit.  Heck, just look at our message board community, it's so great that fans of rival teams are not only members, but post more on here than on their own team's pages.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I dont know, but I am becoming less of a Bengals fan as the years progress. They are my hometown team, so I am basically cursed to them. But I certainly dont love them like I used to ages ago, and have no reason to go to any games spending my money on them.

p.s. not tryin to be a Debbie Downer of this thread, its just sort of where the state of Millhouse is.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Zeitler is now the HIGHEST paid Guard in NFL history with zero Pro Bowl appearances. Former GM Charlie Casserly on NFL Network questioned the Rams paying a 35 year old Whitworth $12 million a year for 3 years since Whitworth only practices one day per week. To me, the Bengals had little choice but to let them leave at those prices. With that said they better NAIL this upcoming Draft with some Solid Offensive line talent and add at least a fairly decent Guard and backup left Tackle in free agency to help weather this storm. I don't think they are worried at all about Jake Fisher at right tackle or filling one Guard position. It will all come down to Cedric Ogbuyei who was a Top 10 Draft talent prior to his injury. He is only 24 years old and these guys don't hit their Strength stride until they get a little older than that. I actually give Cedric an 80% chance of developing into a solid starter. If you remember a guy named Anthony Collins (4th rounder) who played little his first few years with the Bengals and then started in 2013 at Left Tackle with a very solid year after developing. Then he got a payday in Free agency. Collins had a similar build to Ogbuyei and Ogbuyei is more of a thoroughbred physically than Collins was. I see Ogbuyei becoming more reliable next year and he better.
Reply/Quote
Let's face it, we are clearly in some sort of kinky Domme/Sub relationship with Mike Brown. Just face that sexy, sexy fact.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 06:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm done pouting and being upset about the events that transpired yesterday, regarding the Bengals.  I mean, c'mon, many of us predicted, a few years ago, that we wouldn't be able to keep all of the talent that was on the roster.  Throwing huge money at Whitworth would have been a poor business decision for the team.  Whitworth would have been stupid to not have taken the money.  The team drafted a pair of tackles with their top two picks, just two years ago, in preparation for Whitworth to ride off into the sunset.  The day has now come, and all we can do now is hope that those guys develop into the players that they were drafted so highly to be.

I think that many of us knew, deep in our hearts that the team wasn't going to offer any serious money to Zeitler.  We all know that the organization does not put big money into the interior of the OL.  Not a philosophy that I agree with, just the reality of the situation.  Once again, all we can do is hope that one of the guys on the bench is ready to step up into the starting role.

You see that I've had to resort to using "hope" in both of the previous paragraphs, and there is a good reason.  Being a lifelong fan of the Bengals takes a lot of hope.  Hope, patience, and most of all, optimism.  Being a fan of the Bengals isn't for the weak of character, the bandwagon fan, or anyone that loves to follow a frontrunner.  No sir, in order to be a Bengal fan, one must be completely comfortable with the knowledge that the organization is hell bent on producing mediocrity, and love them anyway.  Here's to the eternal optimist in all of us, Go Bengals!

P.S.  I'll bet a couple of you thought this was going to be my fan resignation letter, didn't you?  Takes more that to get rid of me, my heart is made of titanium, and it has been trampled on by way meaner bitches than Mike Brown..

good post

At the end of the day folks its a football team and its for entertainment...  Is losing as entertaining as winning hell no.   But we don't know if we will lose more than win next year.. or any year till it plays out that's why you gotta....

Just enjoy the ride.  

Offseason has a long way to go.  
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 07:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: good post

At the end of the day folks its a football team and its for entertainment...  Is losing as entertaining as winning hell no.   But we don't know if we will lose more than win next year.. or any year till it plays out that's why you gotta....

Just enjoy the ride.  

Offseason has a long way to go.  

So, now that the Bengals have shot their wad in free agency, time for our annual rally cry... Onto the Draft!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
There's no right or wrong way to be a fan. I love the Bengals through and through and I've been a fan and supported them my entire life. I'll always be a Bengals fan. I also cling to hope. Though free agency is certainly trying right now, I'm still hopeful that our young players will find their footing and grow this year. I'm hopeful every Steelers week that we'll beat the ever loving shit out of them. I'm hopeful that every playoff game will finally be the one that we break the streak.

Yeah, I'm critical right now. I feel I have every right to be. Our owner/GM keeps screwing us over. I understand we probably weren't going to be able to keep everyone. I feel we should've tried harder to keep Marvin Jones. I agree with letting Sanu go, especially for the price tag he got. I was even okay with letting Nelson go because I agree it's better to let them go too early than too late. Some of our decisions I can see and even understand, some are just stupid on our front offices part.

Regardless, once the season starts, I'll watch every game like every season before. I'll root and cheer and hope for another trip to the postseason. I'll be happy with every win and disappointed with every loss. I love the Bengals unconditionally. Even with the critical things I've been posting, I'm fine. They don't affect my day to day life. It's a sport. It's supposed to be fun. Sometimes the Bengals are not fun though.

So while I may continue to make some snarky or downright rude comments about the team, that doesn't mean I'm not a fan, a good fan, or that I don't love the team. Just because I get upset with them from time to time doesn't mean I support them any less.
Reply/Quote
I agree mostly Sunset

But it's not just losing Whit and Z, it's the overall ineptness and cheapness of Mike Brown who's formula for success hasn't worked for 26 years and counting. And he refuses to change ! I'm not going to list all the problems we all know them all. But he just keeps making them and not doing what it takes to turn it around.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 06:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Let's face it, we are clearly in some sort of kinky Domme/Sub relationship with Mike Brown. Just face that sexy, sexy fact.

The safe word is the Fej guy that plays safety's last name.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 06:37 PM)depthchart Wrote: Zeitler is now the HIGHEST paid Guard in NFL history with zero Pro Bowl appearances. Former GM Charlie Casserly on NFL Network questioned the Rams paying a 35 year old Whitworth $12 million a year for 3 years since Whitworth only practices one day per week. To me, the Bengals had little choice but to let them leave at those prices. With that said they better NAIL this upcoming Draft with some Solid Offensive line talent and add at least a fairly decent Guard and backup left Tackle in free agency to help weather this storm. I don't think they are worried at all about Jake Fisher at right tackle or filling one Guard position. It will all come down to Cedric Ogbuyei who was a Top 10 Draft talent prior to his injury. He is only 24 years old and these guys don't hit their Strength stride until they get a little older than that. I actually give Cedric an 80% chance of developing into a solid starter. If you remember a guy named Anthony Collins (4th rounder) who played little his first few years with the Bengals and then started in 2013 at Left Tackle with a very solid year after developing. Then he got a payday in Free agency. Collins had a similar build to Ogbuyei and Ogbuyei is more of a thoroughbred physically than Collins was. I see Ogbuyei becoming more reliable next year and he better.

Pro Bowl snubs are the norm for Bengal players because it is a popularity contest in many ways. Mike Brown's record over the part 26 years doesnt generate much interest in the team outside of the Cincinnati area. Pro Bowl snubs are more of an indictment of Mike Brown than player performance. 

If someone is measuring the ability of a Bengals' player by Pro Bowl appearances, that person doesn't know shit about the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 07:36 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: There's no right or wrong way to be a fan. I love the Bengals through and through and I've been a fan and supported them my entire life. I'll always be a Bengals fan. I also cling to hope. Though free agency is certainly trying right now, I'm still hopeful that our young players will find their footing and grow this year. I'm hopeful every Steelers week that we'll beat the ever loving shit out of them. I'm hopeful that every playoff game will finally be the one that we break the streak.

Yeah, I'm critical right now. I feel I have every right to be. Our owner/GM keeps screwing us over. I understand we probably weren't going to be able to keep everyone. I feel we should've tried harder to keep Marvin Jones. I agree with letting Sanu go, especially for the price tag he got. I was even okay with letting Nelson go because I agree it's better to let them go too early than too late. Some of our decisions I can see and even understand, some are just stupid on our front offices part.

Regardless, once the season starts, I'll watch every game like every season before. I'll root and cheer and hope for another trip to the postseason. I'll be happy with every win and disappointed with every loss. I love the Bengals unconditionally. Even with the critical things I've been posting, I'm fine. They don't affect my day to day life. It's a sport. It's supposed to be fun. Sometimes the Bengals are not fun though.

So while I may continue to make some snarky or downright rude comments about the team, that doesn't mean I'm not a fan, a good fan, or that I don't love the team. Just because I get upset with them from time to time doesn't mean I support them any less.

Thanks for typing out what I was too lazy to do. :andy: LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 07:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree mostly Sunset

But it's not just losing Whit and Z, it's the overall ineptness and cheapness of Mike Brown who's formula for success hasn't worked for 26 years and counting. And he refuses to change ! I'm not going to list all the problems we all know them all. But he just keeps making them and not doing what it takes to turn it around.

Ever checked out his Wiki page?  Doesn't paint a picture of a beloved team owner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Brown_(American_football_executive)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
By the way, great post and thread. Like I said in my post, feels like dark times now, but a new season brings new optimism and hope. Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 06:37 PM)depthchart Wrote: Zeitler is now the HIGHEST paid Guard in NFL history with zero Pro Bowl appearances. Former GM Charlie Casserly on NFL Network questioned the Rams paying a 35 year old Whitworth $12 million a year for 3 years since Whitworth only practices one day per week. To me, the Bengals had little choice but to let them leave at those prices. With that said they better NAIL this upcoming Draft with some Solid Offensive line talent and add at least a fairly decent Guard and backup left Tackle in free agency to help weather this storm. I don't think they are worried at all about Jake Fisher at right tackle or filling one Guard position. It will all come down to Cedric Ogbuyei who was a Top 10 Draft talent prior to his injury. He is only 24 years old and these guys don't hit their Strength stride until they get a little older than that. I actually give Cedric an 80% chance of developing into a solid starter. If you remember a guy named Anthony Collins (4th rounder) who played little his first few years with the Bengals and then started in 2013 at Left Tackle with a very solid year after developing. Then he got a payday in Free agency. Collins had a similar build to Ogbuyei and Ogbuyei is more of a thoroughbred physically than Collins was. I see Ogbuyei becoming more reliable next year and he better.

Yes to this reasoning.
Whit deserves a payday, and he wasn't going to get that money here. So, thanks Whit, have fun in LA LA RAM LAND.
Zeit, good for him as well...Sorry you are a worthless Brown, but good job getting that money bro! Like to see how effective you are playing against us twice a year now. 

The organization still can pick BPA in the draft...(BUT) it will be interesting to see who their idea of BPA is at #9...

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 07:57 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Yes to this reasoning.
Whit deserves a payday, and he wasn't going to get that money here. So, thanks Whit, have fun in LA LA RAM LAND.
Zeit, good for him as well...Sorry you are a worthless Brown, but good job getting that money bro!
Like to see how effective you are playing against us twice a year now. 

The organization still can pick BPA in the draft...(BUT) it will be interesting to see who their idea of BPA is at #9...

I can only agree with this 100%, as I really cannot fault either of them for getting paid.  And, I'm also with you on your point about who they see the BPA is at #9.  In light of yesterday's events, that could have changed.  I keep seeing them "leaking" info that they are into one of the top RBs, but I think that is pure smoke.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 06:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: P.S.  I'll bet a couple of you thought this was going to be my fan resignation letter, didn't you?  

I did.

(And I understand letting Whitworth and Zeitler go... but I want an O-Line! The "we have only two millions left, and a FA signing would mess with our comp picks"-argument is still annoying.)
Reply/Quote