Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm happy we lost. Come tell me I'm a bad fan.
This loss was, in my opinion, the absolute best case scenario for this team in this position with this record and this number of injuries.

Let's all take a moment to admit that there was no way, even if we somehow miraculously made the playoffs due to the failures of all the teams around us (which, by the way is made all the more unlikely because the Dolphins beat the #1 team in their way to securing the final playoff spot).

So winning this game would have done 2 things:
1. Made Mike Brown more confident in Marvin Lewis' ability as a coach, both defensive and head.
2. Ensured that we get a worse draft selection in the 2019 draft; a draft that could potentially be filled with talented but risky QB options (such as Herbert, Haskins, Jones, Grier, Lock and Murray, if he chooses Football over baseball). All these QBs have talent, but each has their own set of question marks that make them, arguably, candidates for falling ever so slightly in the draft. See: Mahomes.
If we're in the top 10 or early teens, we may have a shot at one of these players.

In the Chargers game, our team played well, showed their talent (especially on the defensive side against a very talented offense), arguably showed a large portion of the problem is play calling, time management and coaching and then lost just in time to preserve the draft position.

If we can replicate this over the final weeks of the season, we can finally get rid of Marvin (because there won't be one of those stupid "resurgences" like we had last year), find a new "hot" coach who sees the talent on our roster and is excited to build around it (perhaps Kansas City's Offensive Coordinator, Eric Bieniemy) all while maintaining a good draft position to potentially take a franchise QB (depending on how many end up declaring and are determined to be worth a first round pick) and the new era of Bengals football can begin.

I know the sentiment around here is often "We need to win at all costs because we're fans of this team. Rooting for your team to lose is very un-fan-like."

But I think there's a greater purpose here. Mike Brown will doom this team if they let him. We seriously need to remove Marvin, Hue and all their cohorts and start fresh. We have been stewing in this bland, tepid pool of Merv for anywhere between 3 and 8 years, depending on who you ask.

Set this team free. And maintain the chance of drafting a truly game changing QB while you're at it. Lose out and start over in 2019. The alternative is another year (or more) of Marvin or, worse...Hue Jackson...
Reply/Quote
You're a bad fan
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You're NOT a bad fan. The ONLY hope for this team is getting rid of Marvin and Hue... and good draft picks.
LOSING is the only thing that will accomplish those.
Reply/Quote
You're a bad fan.

But not as of a fan as Mike Brown is an owner.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 10:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're a bad fan

Indeed you're a bad fan.

I live how everyone thinks they know how the scenario with Marv will play out and how they think they know what MB will do.

You want your team to win every game, period.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:06 PM)Tomkat Wrote: You're NOT a bad fan.  The ONLY hope for this team is getting rid of Marvin and Hue... and good draft picks.
LOSING is the only thing that will accomplish that.

If only that was true.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
You'll not hear me say that, I agree totally. Something has to change, and winning a few of these last games would probably be all Mike Brown would need to make him think ole Marvin is bringing this team around; and we'll be fine next year not unlike what they did last year.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:12 PM)McC Wrote: If only that was true.  

OK, losing gives the best chance of that happening.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 10:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This loss was, in my opinion, the absolute best case scenario for this team in this position with this record and this number of injuries.

Let's all take a moment to admit that there was no way, even if we somehow miraculously made the playoffs due to the failures of all the teams around us (which, by the way is made all the more unlikely because the Dolphins beat the #1 team in their way to securing the final playoff spot).

So winning this game would have done 2 things:
1. Made Mike Brown more confident in Marvin Lewis' ability as a coach, both defensive and head.
2. Ensured that we get a worse draft selection in the 2019 draft; a draft that could potentially be filled with talented but risky QB options (such as Herbert, Haskins, Jones, Grier, Lock and Murray, if he chooses Football over baseball). All these QBs have talent, but each has their own set of question marks that make them, arguably, candidates for falling ever so slightly in the draft. See: Mahomes.
If we're in the top 10 or early teens, we may have a shot at one of these players.

In the Chargers game, our team played well, showed their talent (especially on the defensive side against a very talented offense), arguably showed a large portion of the problem is play calling, time management and coaching and then lost just in time to preserve the draft position.

If we can replicate this over the final weeks of the season, we can finally get rid of Marvin (because there won't be one of those stupid "resurgences" like we had last year), find a new "hot" coach who sees the talent on our roster and is excited to build around it (perhaps Kansas City's Offensive Coordinator, Eric Bieniemy) all while maintaining a good draft position to potentially take a franchise QB (depending on how many end up declaring and are determined to be worth a first round pick) and the new era of Bengals football can begin.

I know the sentiment around here is often "We need to win at all costs because we're fans of this team. Rooting for your team to lose is very un-fan-like."

But I think there's a greater purpose here. Mike Brown will doom this team if they let him. We seriously need to remove Marvin, Hue and all their cohorts and start fresh. We have been stewing in this bland, tepid pool of Merv for anywhere between 3 and 8 years, depending on who you ask.

Set this team free. And maintain the chance of drafting a truly game changing QB while you're at it. Lose out and start over in 2019. The alternative is another year (or more) of Marvin or, worse...Hue Jackson...

Sadly, we've seen late season runs save Marvin before, and I think the majority of us will say that there's no hope for a playoff run with Marvin.  This is a crappy QB class, so I would have to pass on that part.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:14 PM)Tomkat Wrote: OK, losing gives the best chance of that happening.

If only that was...

I suppose it it does, but how many prime moving on opportunities have come and gone?  Is this really any worse than any of the others?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
He's a dreamer.

Crazyjdawg,

Mikey saw this as a win for Marvin.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:11 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed you're a bad fan.

I live how everyone thinks they know how the scenario with Marv will play out and how they think they know what MB will do.

You want your team to win every game, period.

Haha Exactly!
Reply/Quote
Win or lose, Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson will still be here in 2019. Why? Because Mike Brown.

Seriously, Mike Brown will use the fact that the 2018 Bengals were decimated by injuries to retain Marvin and Hue. Yes, I am serious! I’ve been a Bengals fan since I was born and I know how this Front Office has operated since Paul Brown died.
Reply/Quote
We are not drafting a QB.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Win or lose, Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson will still be here in 2019. Why? Because Mike Brown.

Seriously, Mike Brown will use the fact that the 2018 Bengals were decimated by injuries to retain Marvin and Hue. Yes, I am serious! I’ve been a Bengals fan since I was born and I know how this Front Office has operated since Paul Brown died.

DingDing

Also as to the draft - we have been failing miserably on that front lately. I see no reason to look forward to the draft.

By all means prove me wrong Ye Oh A great Bengals coaches minds

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:24 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: DingDing

Also as to the draft - we have been failing miserably on that front lately. I see no reason to look forward to the draft.

By all means prove me wrong Ye Oh A great Bengals coaches minds

We just need a shitload of second round picks.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:23 PM)Big Boss Wrote: We are not drafting a QB.

That’s not even close to Cincinnati’s most glaring problem.
Reply/Quote
1. The one and only hope this team has is for Mikey to wake up and fire these bum coaches.

2. The best way to have any hope for that to happen is losing out.

3. I'm all for losing out !

4. But I know most likely nothing will change.

5. Where did I put my drink ?
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s not even close to Cincinnati’s most glaring problem.

It's not.

But a new coach is going to want a new QB.

That's how these things work.

And Andy Dalton is neither a spring chicken nor a truly elite QB anyway. How much longer do we want to have to build weapons around our QB in order for him to be better than a below average QB?

If we're getting a top pick now, with Dalton coming off of another injury and hopefully a new coach, this is the perfect time to draft a new QB.
Reply/Quote
I figure the Marv Show gets renewed no matter what so I might as well just root for wins. As to the draft, we'll be right where the handful of top players runs out anyway, so it doesn't matter there either. Not to mention, how many positions would not be on the first round board?

Now, the DCB doesn't fill me with hope for next year. What is does is make me ask where the **** has this been.

Reply/Quote