Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I'm just not excited....
It's been a good year so far.

I was pretty happy we let Andre walk. That should help the OL. The best of our backfield will be back. Dansby may be old, but he's still an upgrade.

Honestly, outside of letting Marvin Jones go, I'm pretty happy. And even with that, I wouldn't have been happy if we'd paid him that much. Not to be that low of a throwing priority.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Eifert is essentially the number 2 receiver. I lean toward the pessimistic side but so far this offseason has been pretty good, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 12:27 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Free agency has really let the wind out of my sails this year. We have lost our #2 and #3 WR and signed nobody to replace them. Right now our #2 is a guy people don't even want as the kick returner........ who we actually did re-sign. We appear to have finally signed our first outside free agent and just like 3 of the last 4 years it is an over the hill linebacker! Woohoo!! The past few seasons i've looked forward to the second year guys showing promise because Marvin didn't play them as rookies..... this season though we have to pray last year's #1 pick plays good because we let the starter at his position walk as well. Now we are stuck with another late pick in the draft so we likely won't see much impact from any rookies this year.

4 straight playoff appearances was nice.

This is where pessimism fails. No realism going on here whatsoever.

If we would of signed MLJ and Mo for what they got elsewhere we would not of been able to re-sign Iloka, Adam or Dansby.

Our Secondary would have went from one of the best to one of the worst in one year. We would have much more holes than we do now.

The way the FO actually kept the Secondary in tact, added a badazz cover LB and didn't overpay MLJ and Mo is better than expected to me.

Plus we are pry going to add Lafell and a draft pick to Green, Eifert, Gio, Alford, Wright, Kroft, Burkhead, Kumerow etc.

We will have weapons and a top Secondary, much better than how you wanted it where we definately would not make the Playoffs this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 09:56 AM)Okeana Wrote: This is the most self loathing melodramatic post ive seen in awhile.  Marvin Jones and Sanu weren't even really that good were not talking about world beaters.  Calling Dansby an over the hill linebacker just goes to show that you don't actually watch football because the guy had a great season playing for a shitty team last year.  The guy is one of the best coverage linebackers in the nfl and putting him across from burfict makes this team better.  You're simply just pouting because things didn't go your way and now its the whole doom and gloom speech.

If you watch the Browns play more than the two times the Bengals played them, who you calling self-loathing, Willis?
Reply/Quote
This has been a great FA so far.

Key re-signings open up a lot of room in the draft.

I'm pleased with the FO
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 01:05 PM)Benton Wrote: It's been a good year so far.

I was pretty happy we let Andre walk. That should help the OL. The best of our backfield will be back. Dansby may be old, but he's still an upgrade.

Honestly, outside of letting Marvin Jones go, I'm pretty happy. And even with that, I wouldn't have been happy if we'd paid him that much. Not to be that low of a throwing priority.
Boom!!! MLJ was pretty good against one on one coverage for a 5th rounder. Besides, as we well know, we didn't just let him get away. He chose to leave. I'm not worried about finding a 3rd or 4th tier pass catcher. Both of which may already be on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 01:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is where pessimism fails. No realism going on here whatsoever.

If we would of signed MLJ and Mo for what they got elsewhere we would not of been able to re-sign Iloka, Adam or Dansby.

Our Secondary would have went from one of the best to one of the worst in one year. We would have much more holes than we do now.

The way the FO actually kept the Secondary in tact, added a badazz cover LB and didn't overpay MLJ and Mo is better than expected to me.

Plus we are pry going to add Lafell and a draft pick to Green, Eifert, Gio, Alford, Wright, Kroft, Burkhead, Kumerow etc.

We will have weapons and a top Secondary, much better than how you wanted it where we definately would not make the Playoffs this year.

I never once said I wanted to overpay for Jones or Sanu nor did I say I faulted the front office. We brought back the guys we needed at prices we can afford. Great. All I'm saying is that with a team trying to build on and go further in the playoffs I think we may have lost too much the free agency to take the next step. Right now we have to spend 2 picks in the draft on WRs and hope they, along with young guys on the roster (Cedric & Shawn namely) pan out just to get back to where we have been.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
I thin the biggest problem around here is a detachment from reality.

there are a certain number of member here who think it is possible to draft multiple starters every year and then re-sign them all when they become free agents. The reality is that good teams have to let some vets go and replace them with guys still on their first contracts.

I don't like the fact that we have lost good young players at key positions. But I try to look at the big picture and accept what is realistic.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 02:11 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I never once said I wanted to overpay for Jones or Sanu nor did I say I faulted the front office. We brought back the guys we needed at prices we can afford. Great. All I'm saying is that with a team trying to build on and go further in the playoffs I think we may have lost too much the free agency to take the next step. Right now we have to spend 2 picks in the draft on WRs and hope they, along with young guys on the roster  (Cedric & Shawn namely) pan out just to get back to where we have been.

We lost MLJ, that is the only significant loss this FA. Mo was not a great Receiver and we are looking into
signing a guy in Lafell that has nearly as much production as MLJ and Mo combined. Dansby was a top 5
cover backer in the NFL last season, major upgrade. Reggie still might be back, maybe Hall too.

It is time to give Shawn a shot though and he shown a lot to me last year. I doubt he gets as many picks
as Reggie did last year next year but Reggie won't be getting that many picks this year anyways.

Ogbuehi looked good late last year as well and Andre did not. Might as well go with the guy who looked
good. This could be an upgrade especially in pass protection on down the road.

There are lots of good WR's in this Draft that could help us out and that is all we need.

We still will have a very formidable WR crop when all is said and done.

I am very excited, but to each his own.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 10:13 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I like Sanu, good character, plays hard, but he got overpaid to be a number two guy who has a history of drops.

He also should have been able to get separation more easily with Green and Eifert getting double covered.
Reply/Quote
1. After drafting a pair of tackles last year, it only made sense to move on from Andre. Tbh, I think Andre was overrated on here. He had maybe 1 great season, a couple "ok" ones and numerous injuries. Just because our line has been really good doesn't mean that Andre was really good. Andre hit the open market twice and barely generated any interest.

2. Letting MLJ and Sanu walk was the right decision based on the goofy contracts they received. As long as we get LaFell, I'm perfectly ok with how the Bengals handled it. I just wish they'd go ahead and get LaFell wrapped up, as I believe that's a very important signing. They could also draft a couple WR's for the future.

3. I kind of agree on the aging LB thing, but I do think Dansby is a better fit than Harrison and he probably has more in the tank than Hawk.

Overall, if we wind up signing LaFell, I'm good with this FA period. Choosing Iloka over Nelson was probably the smart move. We brought Pacman back when there was plenty of interest in his services. And again, letting MLJ and Sanu walk was smart. Letting Andre walk was expected. We just need some experience at WR and bringing Nelson back would be icing.

Fwiw, it's not like there were many (if any) impact players in this weak crop of FA's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 02:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. After drafting a pair of tackles last year, it only made sense to move on from Andre. Tbh, I think Andre was overrated on here. He had maybe 1 great season, a couple "ok" ones and numerous injuries. Just because our line has been really good doesn't mean that Andre was really good. Andre hit the open market twice and barely generated any interest.

2. Letting MLJ and Sanu walk was the right decision based on the goofy contracts they received. As long as we get LaFell, I'm perfectly ok with how the Bengals handled it. I just wish they'd go ahead and get LaFell wrapped up, as I believe that's a very important signing. They could also draft a couple WR's for the future.

3. I kind of agree on the aging LB thing, but I do think Dansby is a better fit than Harrison and he probably has more in the tank than Hawk.

Overall, if we wind up signing LaFell, I'm good with this FA period. Choosing Iloka over Nelson was probably the smart move. We brought Pacman back when there was plenty of interest in his services. And again, letting MLJ and Sanu walk was smart. Letting Andre walk was expected. We just need some experience at WR and bringing Nelson back would be icing.

Fwiw, it's not like there were many (if any) impact players in this weak crop of FA's.
Re:  Dansby vs. Harrison, It seems to me looking back that Harrison was just here for a paycheck.  Dansby seems a lot more motivated.  
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 02:11 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I never once said I wanted to overpay for Jones or Sanu nor did I say I faulted the front office. We brought back the guys we needed at prices we can afford. Great. All I'm saying is that with a team trying to build on and go further in the playoffs I think we may have lost too much the free agency to take the next step. Right now we have to spend 2 picks in the draft on WRs and hope they, along with young guys on the roster  (Cedric & Shawn namely) pan out just to get back to where we have been.

I'd counter by saying this is the best this team has looked in years. When was the last time you could honestly say our weakest link was our third-fourth receiving options and needing one DT to pick up a big share of rotation?

The '05 team is the only thing close in terms of talent since the 90s. And right now, even with Tate or Alford or Rex as our receiving option, I think we're better than '05.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 02:52 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd counter by saying this is the best this team has looked in years. When was the last time you could honestly say our weakest link was our third-fourth receiving options and needing one DT to pick up a big share of rotation?

The '05 team is the only thing close in terms of talent since the 90s. And right now, even with Tate or Alford or Rex as our receiving option, I think we're better than '05.

Nice counter. Cool
Reply/Quote
I just think it's weird to be worked up over the number 2 or 3 WR in this offense.

In 2011 the receiving targets #2 down were (in order)

#2 Jerome Simpson
#3 Gresham
#4 Caldwell
#5 Hawkins
#6 Scrub City

In 2012...

#2 Gresham
#3 Hawkins
#4 Tate
#5 Scrub City 2.0

The fact that, frankly, Eifert is miles better than any of the #2 receiving options the Bengals have had since TJ left leaves me feeling just peachy about whoever picks up the slack on the other side of the field. Especially if it is a higher pick rookie, or a guy like Lafell (whom there is still plenty of time to sign).
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 02:52 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd counter by saying this is the best this team has looked in years. When was the last time you could honestly say our weakest link was our third-fourth receiving options and needing one DT to pick up a big share of rotation?

Still a good roster. That said.. in fairness Benton, you make it sound a little bit more flowery and sparkly than it really is.

The second receiving option has a career high of 615 receiving yards.
The C is pretty weak.
The RT is unproven.
QB coming off a season ending injury.
The 2nd CB isn't good.
The 3rd CB is unproven.
RB coming off a 3.6 YPC season.
You changed out a 2nd team All-Pro S with an unproven S.
Outside of Atkins, your DTs aren't good.

There's certainly weak links, more than what you mentioned. That said, it's still going to be a pretty good roster that should have the talent to compete if their coach ever gets them ready for it. All teams have weak links and concerns, it's just silly to pretend the Bengals have none/almost none.

Still should win the division.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 10:13 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I like Sanu, good character, plays hard, but he got overpaid to be a number two guy who has a history of drops.

Yeah, I agree, I should have been more clear.  He does play hard, no question, and good character to boot.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I had no problem letting Sanu and Andre walk. Andre has hit the market twice and was greeted both times to a cold market. I like Sanu, but there's no way he's worth the contract that Atlanta handed him. I won't be surprised if he's let go after one year. It sucked seeing Marvin Jones leave, but we did all we could to hang onto him. I mean we would've had the #1 paid WR tandem in the NFL, by $4 million. He decided that he wanted to be a #1 somewhere else.

So there's a sting, but a small one. Honestly, we've got the draft coming up, and it's my favorite event of the year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 02:32 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: He also should have been able to get separation more easily with Green and Eifert getting double covered.

Very true.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hated to see MLJ go when we offered the same money, but I am not worried at all about WR. We still have Wright, and I'm real interested to see if Jake Kumerow can do something coming off the practice squad. Outside of that, there are plenty of receivers in the draft. You just simply can not pay everyone top dollar.... 
Reply/Quote