Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I'm officially done with the GD thread
Sorry, after this past weekend when people were just assuming we were going to lose EVEN THOUGH WE HAD A 10 POINT LEAD LATE IN THE GAME, I'm just done with posting in the GameDay thread. And it wasn't just 1 person (though it was mainly 1 person). I just can't do it anymore. I'm tired of people "letting their emotions get the best of them" (I bet they wouldn't let someone get away with a racial epithet if that person's emotions got the best of them) or trying to cover up stupidity with "it was just sarcasm, dude."

It sucks, because it can be a place to share laughter to share ref-bashing, but there are fewer and fewer optimistic-minded folk like myself left (I'm not the only one, but there's only a few of us that post there regulary) and I'm enjoying the thread less and less.

So, maybe I'll stop in from time to time or maybe we'll lose the Titans game and I'll forget to not post there next season, but for at least the rest of this postseason, I'm done with the goddamn GD thread.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:58 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Sorry, after this past weekend when people were just assuming we were going to lose EVEN THOUGH WE HAD A 10 POINT LEAD LATE IN THE GAME, I'm just done with posting in the GameDay thread. And it wasn't just 1 person (though it was mainly 1 person). I just can't do it anymore. I'm tired of people "letting their emotions get the best of them" (I bet they wouldn't let someone get away with a racial epithet if that person's emotions got the best of them) or trying to cover up stupidity with "it was just sarcasm, dude."

It sucks, because it can be a place to share laughter to share ref-bashing, but there are fewer and fewer optimistic-minded folk like myself left (I'm not the only one, but there's only a few of us that post there regulary) and I'm enjoying the thread less and less.

So, maybe I'll stop in from time to time or maybe we'll lose the Titans game and I'll forget to not post there next season, but for at least the rest of this postseason, I'm done with the goddamn GD thread.

I never post there, but I find it very entertaining to read. I especially like to go there after a victory and review all the over-the-top "sky is falling," "this player is horrible," comments. Then you will find some gems hidden here and there of posters who have a rational approach and faith in the team and that prove correct in the end. 

I rarely go during the game, but after the game that thread can be very entertaining!  Yes, maybe looking-at-a-train-wreck type of entertainment.
Reply/Quote
I'm at a point where I can't even bring myself to wade into the GD threads anymore. I'd rather just watch the game, and then talk about it later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Gameday threads are toxic places for every fan base. I follow college football closely, and it's the same thing even on forums for teams like Alabama and Ohio State that win almost every game they play. One bad play or one bad play call by the coach and they want to bench the player and fire the coach. Yes, there are Alabama fans who still question coach Saban on these types of threads. GD threads are hell in cyberspace.

Some fans only like sports because it gives them an outlet for their miserable personalities. They experience no actual joy and are only in it for the pain.
Reply/Quote
Ehhh..I pretty much ignore the over the top pessimism posts predicting gloom and doom with every turn of the game . I have to admit that I get like that occasionally too, but some of us have had to bear witness to some horrific bad luck over the years so it's a bit cooked into our DNA to expect the worst possible outcome. Don't let those pessimistic people ruin it the moment the half a glass of water suddenly develops a minor crack in the bottom and starts to leak..and the other team just happens to be swinging a hammer. Just because they might be swinging a hammer doesn't mean they'll hit the nail nice and square..Sometimes they'll smash their own thumb. (see Derek Carr as prime example)
And for the dead enders always predicting gloom and doom...for every time they're right they're usually wrong ten times .. It's kind of fun to see them try to squirm out of their previous predictions. Man! You'd think they live in Egypt along the big river.. Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
[Image: BlueIdealisticAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, gameday thread sucks and I found myself wanting to stay away this past weekend. I jumped in for a little bit, but the doom and gloom, predictions of losses when we are winning and just overall pessimism of several of the posters gets really old.
Reply/Quote
I have a couple people blocked that makes it a lot easier to go through. If you take out a couple choice people most of it's not too bad. Still a lot of people who say the game is over in the 2nd quarter regardless of whether we're winning or losing but when you're as bad as we've been that's bound to happen. I imagine that will continue to change some as our success continues.
Reply/Quote
If you can't take the gameday thread don't stop in. A Bengals game is emotional for most fans. The ups and downs in real time are real feelings. That's what makes the GD thread great. I don't get the issue people have with it. Outside of taking shots at those because we are in the middle of a great season. It's going to take more than 1 great season to get people to stop having flashbacks and panicking. That should be expected given the history and trauma we have experienced. Some overly optimistic posters want to act like there is no trauma and 1 great season should erase all those feelings. I think it's lame honestly to not acknowledge that as you bask in the one season optimism was justified to slam those who may be slow to let our guard down.

After 3 winning seasons and playoff victories if people still have those fears of letdowns then maybe stepping up on a high horse is justified. But until then, the panic and fear of a letdown shouldn't be slammed.

You were right in your optimism Philhos, but handle being right with a little more class and understanding as to why many were much more guarded.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The GD thread used to be an awesome place to hang out just a few years ago. Somehow it got over ran by FB types who only want to get on there to upset others with negativity and mockery. However, instead of letting those users pee on your GD experience, I suggest going to your user cp and putting them on your ignore list. Odds are, if they are bad apples in the GD thread, then you more than likely don't care for anything they have to say in any other thread. Just my 2 cents.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:09 AM)GAWhoDey Wrote: Gameday threads are toxic places for every fan base. I follow college football closely, and it's the same thing even on forums for teams like Alabama and Ohio State that win almost every game they play. One bad play or one bad play call by the coach and they want to bench the player and fire the coach. Yes, there are Alabama fans who still question coach Saban on these types of threads. GD threads are hell in cyberspace.

Some fans only like sports because it gives them an outlet for their miserable personalities. They experience no actual joy and are only in it for the pain.

That’s hilarious lmao still questioning Saban. Can’t wait until he finally retires when he turns 100 and they have to deal with any other coach who isn’t the best in college history
Reply/Quote
I quit going there last year. I check in occasionally at halftime, but I just do not enjoy it. It's the same few posters who seem to enjoy spreading their own misery onto everybody else. And one poster in particular who gets his jolly by jumping on and parroting what he hears others say and apparently thinks it's funny to just sit back and criticize everything.

I understand the reasoning behind closing Jungle Noise during the game, and it's not my board, but I would sure like to see the Administrator leave JN open during the game so those who don't want to listen to all the BS about the game being lost right after kickoff could have a place to discuss things.
Reply/Quote
I just spam stuff like Who Dey!! and how we need to improve on this or that, etc.

Screw all the doubters, if you aren't a true fan than get out of the GD thread!!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:58 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Sorry, after this past weekend when people were just assuming we were going to lose EVEN THOUGH WE HAD A 10 POINT LEAD LATE IN THE GAME, I'm just done with posting in the GameDay thread. And it wasn't just 1 person (though it was mainly 1 person). I just can't do it anymore. I'm tired of people "letting their emotions get the best of them" (I bet they wouldn't let someone get away with a racial epithet if that person's emotions got the best of them) or trying to cover up stupidity with "it was just sarcasm, dude."

Unfortunately every game day thread is like that on every platform. That's just the way it is, it's just so reactive and everyone likes to be negative and people use it as an outlet.  

If you think this ones bad, check out the ones on Reddit. Its straight aids. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but I have an honest question. How do you guys focus on the game and still manage to post in the GD thread? I type and read fairly quick, but I'm just so zoned in on the TV. I make an effort to post, but like others have said, it can get toxic and I'm not trying to get into a disagreement/keyboard war with someone when I'm watching the game. If it were more civil, I'd probably make more of an effort.
Reply/Quote
Everyone in the GD thread cares about the Bengals. Anyone on this message board as much as we are care about the Bengals. Posters need to quit acting like those who have differing opinions and emotions somehow don't. Quite frankly as much as we are on this board we are all on the far extreme of fandom.

Reply/Quote
The one year the optimists were right and somehow decades of emotions from failures letdowns and meltdowns weren't justified.....

Reply/Quote

I practically never go on the GD thread, as my TV is in a different room from my PC.
I feel like the GD thread can be the most toxic because it's people posting real-time reactions.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I try to pop in and talk scheme and why things work and what adjustments need made but two pages of "We suck again!" pop up from the time I post to a when I refresh the page. I was explaining why Apple actually covered the TD well to Zay Jones and it was simply a great call against cover 3 and someone answered "Yea right buddy, you must be blind". At that point it was time to go...
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: Everyone in the GD thread cares about the Bengals. Anyone on this message board as much as we are care about the Bengals. Posters need to quit acting like those who have differing opinions and emotions somehow don't. Quite frankly as much as we are on this board we are all on the far extreme of fandom.

Quite frankly, I think THIS team and THIS Quarterback have earned a little bit of respect and confidence that if they don't score on the first possession, the game is not over.
Reply/Quote