Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I'm officially done with the GD thread
I remember in 2014 when Patriots nation declared Brady was over the hill and washed up after a benching in the KC game. They won the Superbowl that year and all of New England are now Tampa Bay fans cause Brady left. I agree with you and think the gameday thread is hard to swallow but unless you expect a mass transformation of positivity by society then this wont change. It's doesn't matter how good we get or how many Superbowl's we win in future(we will win Superbowls), certain people will always find something to complain about. I personally think the Bengals are the most exciting team in the NFL, I wish are defense was a little stiffer between the 20s and I was taller and richer. Watch the Montana series and 49ers were exact same before Montana showed up. Burrow/Chase/Taylor are changing fan culture as we speak. Screw the naysayers
Reply/Quote
Short Version: Stop telling others how to feel about their team.

Long Version: We've all been fans a long time. We all know the history the Bengals have. We all know they tend to find a creative way to mess things up in the end. For many fans, it's going to take more than one season of the team exceeding expectations to feel comfortable.

The Gameday thread is an in real time, organic experience where fans can express how they feel. If that's too much for you, then go post somewhere else or put the people ruining your experience on ignore. There are too many babies here that think that spending an inordinate amount of time here makes them an arbiter of what can be said and/or how it can be said. And despite being here for so long, they tend to forget the very simple feature they can use to make their experience here to their liking.

Here's a better idea: Go experience the game with people IRL instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet. You can thank me later. It's not reasonable to do the latter and expect people to cater their sentiments to your sensibilities.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:27 AM)Takedown Wrote: I'm sorry, but I have an honest question. How do you guys focus on the game and still manage to post in the GD thread? I type and read fairly quick, but I'm just so zoned in on the TV. I make an effort to post, but like others have said, it can get toxic and I'm not trying to get into a disagreement/keyboard war with someone when I'm watching the game. If it were more civil, I'd probably make more of an effort.

Texting baby. 

Texting.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The GD thread is a tough one...because it's made up of instant reactions, emotions and hot takes. So, how do you navigate that? The insanity isn't unique to this board...every team board's GD threads are crazy as hell. 

In order to have GD threads, you have to allow everyone the right to express themselves. I understand that some are completely over the top, and it can even border on trolling at times...but what's the answer? I can't just tell members that only positive takes are allowed, or that only rational posts will be permitted. In the spur of the moment, people are going to say some dumb shit, have some really stupid takes or have meltdowns for silly reasons.

I understand the frustration of Phil and others, but for me, the GD thread is the one place on the board where you need to let a relatively free flowing input of thoughts and reactions, even if it gets annoying and frustrating for those that try to be more levelheaded. 

Look...I get that that question about the last time Burrow threw a pick during the Cheifs game was...horrendous timing.

But it was a legit question on impulse.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:09 AM)Nepa Wrote: I never post there, but I find it very entertaining to read. I especially like to go there after a victory and review all the over-the-top "sky is falling," "this player is horrible," comments. Then you will find some gems hidden here and there of posters who have a rational approach and faith in the team and that prove correct in the end. 

I rarely go during the game, but after the game that thread can be very entertaining!  Yes, maybe looking-at-a-train-wreck type of entertainment.

This all day long......
Reply/Quote
You've gotta learn to stop taking that thread so seriously. That's a real-time thread where people are reacting with their emotions. It's not a good thing to be down 24-0, I think a very high percentage of fans would say "game over". You have to realize you're on the edge of an opinion when you think the others are also on an edge.

If I said "game over" if we lost the coin toss, the jest seems to be lost on you. If we say "it's over for them" if mixon runs a 50 yard TD, somehow that isn't taken the same way - it has to be in jest, it's only 1 drive!

Everyone is different when actually watching the game, I find it hilarious that you (and others) call out people's "fandom". I've been here 35 years too since Boomer almost won, I'm still a "fan", just not the way you and others want people to be fans. You do well to bring out the worst in people, just leave the thread be or join it and stop harassing people in there for having a different reaction.

Like half of you cried when the Bengals won, I understand your emotion, I didn't cry, you guys should understand that. People react differently to watching football. In the end we're all still "fans" of the Bengals and if want to argue and talk trash, it should be with opposing teams.

I like your differing opinion so I'd rather you stay in that thread. If we all think the same the world would be boring and ******.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: I do like the guy who's stream is 3 or 4 plays behind complaining about something everyone has already moved on from...that's fun.

My stream is decent. but i don't like to comment til the play is over.. They can go from MF to Holy hell, to SOB in the blink of an eye (or in this case a post) lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 07:10 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: My stream is decent. but i don't like to comment til the play is over.. They can go from MF to Holy hell, to SOB in the blink of an eye (or in this case a post) lol

I was on discord with someone who was at the game. He kept going "SHIT", "OMG", etc. I told him I can't tell if these are good or bad plays, can you start just saying "GOOD" or "BAD" instead. After about 15 minutes I asked him to just stop responding with anything unless the Bengals are up 14 because it was hard to watch with him predicting the future lol.

That thread has a lot of that junk in it too, lots of us are 5-10 seconds behind and sometimes get to see the "TOUCHDOWN" before it happens lol
Reply/Quote
GD thread is an emotional thread for fans to vent. It is not meant nor is it an intellectual or rationale thread.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round, I really love to watch them roll. No longer riding on the merry-o-round,, I just had to let it go....
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:27 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Speaking of an agenda Sarcasm , elucidate me on the meaning of your forum handle bfine32.

Does it reference:

A) good will toward Stanley Wilson for his demons
B) hope for Ki-Jana Carter when he was injured
C) kindness toward Jeremy Hill for his fumble
D) something related to Rudi Johnson
E) something else
My last name starts with B (Balderdash) and there was a guy in my unit whose shtick was giving everyone a nickname. I got bfine. bfine is a member of a music group know as Full Force. The 32 comes from the bumper number of the vehicle I commanded.

(01-18-2022, 02:41 PM)basballguy Wrote: I forgot Joe from Flo existed until just now.  

I rarely post in the GD thread because i prefer to send my pessimistic messages out via SMS.  

However, isn't the inverse of this approach also true?  There's a good chunk of us (definitely not me) looking to prove Eli Apple is good.  I would imagine the GD thread was all over it when he was gifted that Big Ben int a couple months ago...lots of "I told you so's"

I don't see anything wrong with ignoring people if you don't like what they have to say.  Quitting something because you don't like or agree with some people's opinions is more of a reflection of you, isn't it?  (No not you personally, bfine).  

It was bad during the Andy Dalton days. "Anti-Andy" posted endlessly every time Andy missed a pass and "Pro-Andy" posted every time he created a pass. The sticking point with Joe from Flo was he hated Chad and loved CP9 and I was on the opposite spectrum.
(01-18-2022, 07:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: GD thread is an emotional thread for fans to vent.  It is not meant nor is it an intellectual or rationale thread.

IMO GD thread is a place to go and discuss the game; it can/has been intellectual and rational. You wanna share your emotions buy a dog.

WTS, this thread is not going to change anything. It's just I used to enjoy the games more by participating in the GD thread, now I enjoy the games more by avoiding the GD thread. I just wasn't inclined to start a thread about it, but will freely share my views in this one.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
GameDay threads have always had 2 sides: people who want to chill and chat about the game is a positive manner, and those who use it as a spot to vent their Bengals PTSD every time something bad happens.

Maybe it's worse now? But I know for sure it's nothing new.

The problem isn't that these 2 sides exist, it's that one side is completely intolerant of the other. I could be wrong, but I've never seen a "negative" guy cussing out someone for just being too positive.

All the toxicity and intolerance seems to come from the people who can't stand negativity in there. Its so funny, out of all the places in here where I expect rational, sane takes, GameDay is the LAST place I'd go for that.

So why are people continually surprised/angry about it? To where it's become a weekly topic in Jungle Noise? I'll admit I was irritated when I saw people saying the defense was trash when we'd held a solid Raiders team to 19 points in a playoff game. But then I was like "oh yeah...GameDay".

If people bring those idiotic emotion-fueled takes to JN, by all means tear into them. But they usually don't. So if they leave most of those dumb takes in GD, why can't the rest of you leave your bitterness there as well? So the rest of us don't have to read about it?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Now boarding Group A.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 08:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My last name starts with B (Balderdash) and there was a guy in my unit whose shtick was giving everyone a nickname. I got bfine. bfine is a member of a music group know as Full Force. The 32 comes from the bumper number of the vehicle I commanded.

Oh nice, that's way cooler than you worrying about Ki-Jana Carter in the '90s.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 08:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My last name starts with B (Balderdash).

This is some nonsense.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 09:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: GameDay threads have always had 2 sides: people who want to chill and chat about the game is a positive manner, and those who use it as a spot to vent their Bengals PTSD every time something bad happens.

Maybe it's worse now? But I know for sure it's nothing new.

The problem isn't that these 2 sides exist, it's that one side is completely intolerant of the other. I could be wrong, but I've never seen a "negative" guy cussing out someone for just being too positive.

All the toxicity and intolerance seems to come from the people who can't stand negativity in there. Its so funny, out of all the places in here where I expect rational, sane takes, GameDay is the LAST place I'd go for that.

So why are people continually surprised/angry about it? To where it's become a weekly topic in Jungle Noise? I'll admit I was irritated when I saw people saying the defense was trash when we'd held a solid Raiders team to 19 points in a playoff game. But then I was like "oh yeah...GameDay".

If people bring those idiotic emotion-fueled takes to JN, by all means tear into them. But they usually don't. So if they leave most of those dumb takes in GD, why can't the rest of you leave your bitterness there as well? So the rest of us don't have to read about it?

Agree with your overall take, but not with the bold sentence. I definitely see it on both sides, each getting completely bent out of shape and hostile to the other side. Positive leaning posters losing their minds over the first negative comment, and negative leaning posters acting like they're being victimized by any sort of optimism. 

It's the same damn play book every week...but that's the GD thread experience.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 09:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The problem isn't that these 2 sides exist, it's that one side is completely intolerant of the other. I could be wrong, but I've never seen a "negative" guy cussing out someone for just being too positive.

Yes, you're wrong. There were multiple times just this season alone when people would be absolutely giddy in proving how right they were to be negative directed towards me when the Bengals would end up losing. 

And while it may not be IN the GD threads, just look through this thread and see people bashing me just for having a different opinion than them. Hell, some are calling for this thread to be deleted! ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 08:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My last name starts with B (Balderdash) and there was a guy in my unit whose shtick was giving everyone a nickname. I got bfine. bfine is a member of a music group know as Full Force. The 32 comes from the bumper number of the vehicle I commanded.

It was bad during the Andy Dalton days. "Anti-Andy" posted endlessly every time Andy missed a pass and "Pro-Andy" posted every time he created a pass. The sticking point with Joe from Flo was he hated Chad and loved CP9 and I was on the opposite spectrum.

IMO GD thread is a place to go and discuss the game; it can/has been intellectual and rational. You wanna share your emotions buy a dog.

WTS, this thread is not going to change anything. It's just I used to enjoy the games more by participating in the GD thread, now I enjoy the games more by avoiding the GD thread. I just wasn't inclined to start a thread about it, but will freely share my views in this one.

I have a two cats, one looks like a Bengal...quite emotional...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 10:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes, you're wrong. There were multiple times just this season alone when people would be absolutely giddy in proving how right they were to be negative directed towards me when the Bengals would end up losing. 

And while it may not be IN the GD threads, just look through this thread and see people bashing me just for having a different opinion than them. Hell, some are calling for this thread to be deleted! ThumbsUp

I'll admit that I was tempted to delete this G.D. thread..  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 10:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes, you're wrong. There were multiple times just this season alone when people would be absolutely giddy in proving how right they were to be negative directed towards me when the Bengals would end up losing. 

I knew people would object to that. I won't say you're wrong. Your personal experiences are what you've experienced.

From my end, I just know that we've had GD related threads in JN for 3 straight weeks, and none were created by negative guys. Also, every time I see someone getting cussed out in GD, it's a positive guy doing the attacking.

We all just need to do better, and I'll leave it at that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote