Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
IF We Get Burrow A Decent Line?
(10-30-2023, 05:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Game's over. Gotta move on and look to improve.

They played decent against a good defensive front, but let's not pretend like they're not a problem.

True, but they are getting better as Burrow gets better which is awesome for all us Bengal fans at this point in the season.

I think we are going to go on a tear similar to last season but hopefully ending in a Lombardi trophy this time around.

(10-30-2023, 06:04 PM)IcoHolic Wrote: There is no way to stop guys like Garrett, Tennessee's front, Bosa. You can only hope they have an off day or you scheme well enough to minimize the damage. I think our line is getting better weekly.. which mirrors last season. It's never going to be elite with its current personnel, but it can be good enough to win the last game of the NFL season.

Nice post IcoHolic. As long as we aren't hit bad with injuries right at the worst time (right before the Playoffs) we should be much 
better than last year when our guys went down besides Ted.

(10-30-2023, 06:08 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It is hard for me to take the stats for this year at face value because of Burrow's decreased mobility and inability to play under center. The run game was negatively impacted. More 2nd & 3rd & longs. Less mobile QB. More sacks.

To be middle of the pack/borderline top 3rd under these circumstances is an improvement.

Truth Ike. Now we can judge better with a mobile QB how good the OL is.

The Burrow injury tilted the entire Offense where you couldn't really judge much.

(10-30-2023, 07:27 PM)jason Wrote: Joe Burrow himself has been a bigger problem than the O line at times this season.

Yes sir, the calf strain completely took away his accuracy for large parts of all the first 6 games this season for sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 03:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: At what cost?  Burrow's huge contract limits what we can do.  He has to be able to get it done with what he has and less.  We already have one of the highest paid O-lines in the NFL.  I think it has been said on this forum we have the 6th highest paid O-line.

As far as what Burrow has in front of him right now, we went out and took Mahomes Pro Bowl LT.  We paid Jonah 12.6 million and then moved him to RT where he is playing good.  We went out and got Cappa and Karras who blocked for Brady.  Would most of us like to see an even better line in front of Burrow?  Of course but how do you make that happen?  We have already allowed a few big contributors on defense to leave the last couple of years in order to save money.  You dont want to weaken the defense too much.

At this point now that they have that huge QB contract to account  for they really should invest in more and better scouts for the trenches. The track record drafting OL and DL talent is overall bad. Maybe poach some folks from Eagles, Browns, Niners etc... because they wont be able to stock the whole OL on Free agents anymore .
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 07:44 PM)kalibengal Wrote: At this point now that they have that huge QB contract to account  for they really should invest in more and better scouts for the trenches. The track record drafting OL and DL talent is overall bad. Maybe poach some folks from Eagles, Browns, Niners etc... because they wont be able to stock the whole OL on Free agents anymore .

That would be awesome, sure would be nice to be able to Draft some good dudes in the trenches like those teams do...
Reply/Quote
I agree with the comments about improving the OL scouting area. But I’m ecstatic about the OL guys as attitude and work ethic and camaraderie.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
What a terribly timed thread a day after the OL played great against one of the nastiest defenses in the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 05:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He shouldn't have to move that much.

Nonsense. That’s what all the best QB’s have to do in today’s NFL. This isn’t 2005 anymore where guys like Palmer and Manning can just stand in the pocket like a statue.

Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen are arguably the top 3 QB’s in the league, and all 3 use their legs and elusiveness as a big part of their games.

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals are sitting around middle of pack (17th) when it comes to sacks allowed per game.
They are currently allowing 2.4 sacks per game.

KC, MIA, BUF, TB, and SF are all allowing under 2.0 per game, which has them all in Top 5 fewest sacks allowed per game.

So I think Burrow has a "decent" OL, but I definitely wouldn't call it good or even bad.

I do think there are a few players who are the weak links though, but I don't know if there's much that can be done at this point to upgrade halfway through the season.

Those teams you listed have very mobile QBs, something we haven't had till yesterday. 
Look what happened to KC yesterday with a sick QB, he was rag dolled...
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: The current line is fine. This gets ridiculous. We've even posted stats showing the pass blocking this season is upper tier. Not just in sacks (12th in league) but also in pressures (8th in league). And Burrow's play style where he tries to extend things leads him into some sacks, also the calf made him immobile for the first 5 games which made him harder to protect.

Joe I bust you on gameday with some of your takes, but you could not be more right with this.   Excellent take.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 03:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Burrow is killing teams and winning games with no offensive line.

If we finally get him an offensive line that can protect him, what are the limits for Burrow?

I find myself just wondering how many Super Bowls he can win because I feel like he's the best quarterback in the league and having his friend (Chase) on the team can only make him unstoppable.

I think he'll be able to outscore any opponent if he has time in the pocket.

Will we sell-out this offseason to improve the line?

Am I wrong to be this excited?

You are not wrong to be excited, you are just wrong in your oline assessment.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 05:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He shouldn't have to move that much.

Brad, this is the NFL, no QB can expect to stand back there like a statue and not expect to get hit after about 3 seconds or so.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:15 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: 12th in the league is not great when you have a QB that up until the last couple of games has done almost nothing other than short dump off throws.  You should not get a lot of pressure or sacks when your QB is leading the NFL in release time throwing the ball 5 yards.  This line is not bad but they are not a top tier line at this point.  They looked pretty good yesterday against a top tier defense so hopefully they continue to play at that level.

This such a ridiculous post because the guy was a STATUE for the first 4 games of the year, which made him a sitting duck.

Do you understand physics?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 08:24 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: This such a ridiculous post because the guy was a STATUE for the first 4 games of the year, which made him a sitting duck.

Exactly. And Burrow was getting the ball out ridiculously fast and couldn’t throw the ball more than 10 yards. And yesterday has the first time he was truly healthy and look what happened. I’m not saying we have a line full of all-pros or anything but yesterday was a huge step in the right direction.

This is the NFL and the Bills are going to adjust and so will we/the line. The Bills have 28 sacks so far this year so they will be yet another big test.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 08:24 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: This such a ridiculous post because the guy was a STATUE for the first 4 games of the year, which made him a sitting duck.

Pressures and sacks shouldn't matter much when your QB is immediately throwing 5 yard passes.  Your QB shouldnt need to scramble to avoid a pass rush when they are throwing the ball before the play develops.  Burrow wasnt sitting back there reading the defense, waiting for the routes to develop and getting pressure.    He was taking the snap and quickly throwing the ball.   If you are getting sacks and pressure from a defensive line before your receivers can run 5 yards, that's on the O line.   Im sorry but this isnt an elite O-line no matter how much some of you guys want to portray them to be.  They are mediocre at this point in time.
Reply/Quote
I think finally the OL is reaching its potential. Hopefully it continues. If they can protect Burrow we saw his accuracy and that’s unstoppable
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 03:50 PM)Housh Wrote: Line has been ok all year

Do ppl expect zero sacks and pressures?

Also we’ve played some pretty great d lines too

Yep. He acts like all defensive players are 240 lbs. Line has been excellent this year and when it wasn't it was more on JB not being able to move.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 02:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Pressures and sacks shouldn't matter much when your QB is immediately throwing 5 yard passes.  Your QB shouldnt need to scramble to avoid a pass rush when they are throwing the ball before the play develops.  Burrow wasnt sitting back there reading the defense, waiting for the routes to develop and getting pressure.    He was taking the snap and quickly throwing the ball.   If you are getting sacks and pressure from a defensive line before your receivers can run 5 yards, that's on the O line.  Im sorry but this isnt an elite O-line no matter how much some of you guys want to portray them to be.  They are mediocre at this point in time.

You keep saying others are portraying/saying this is a great, awesome, elite Oline. 

Problem is I'm not seeing people saying that. They're saying better, improved, decent.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 02:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Pressures and sacks shouldn't matter much when your QB is immediately throwing 5 yard passes.  Your QB shouldnt need to scramble to avoid a pass rush when they are throwing the ball before the play develops.  Burrow wasnt sitting back there reading the defense, waiting for the routes to develop and getting pressure.    He was taking the snap and quickly throwing the ball.   If you are getting sacks and pressure from a defensive line before your receivers can run 5 yards, that's on the O line.   Im sorry but this isnt an elite O-line no matter how much some of you guys want to portray them to be.  They are mediocre at this point in time.

What about the dozen plays a game where guys didn't get open and Joe had to stand there, trying to find someone? (like the Rams game).

He literally stood there like a statue and nobody touched him.

Nobody, NOBODY said the oline was elite, only you seem to be parroting that.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 02:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You keep saying others are portraying/saying this is a great, awesome, elite Oline. 

Problem is I'm not seeing people saying that. They're saying better, improved, decent.

Then why you arguing when I call them mediocre?  Im not the one that called them top tier.  Im not the one pointing at the O line being 8th in pressures and 12th in sacks saying they are much better than that because Burrow is a statue and its Burrows fault they arent ranked higher.  Where are you trying to claim the O-line would be ranked if Burrow wasnt to blame?  If the O-line was already ranked 8th in pressures and 12th in sacks with Burrow being a statue where do they rank with a healthy Burrow?  Top 5?  I dont think so. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 02:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You keep saying others are portraying/saying this is a great, awesome, elite Oline. 

(10-31-2023, 02:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Nobody, NOBODY said the oline was elite, only you seem to be parroting that.

Do you guys just chime in on posts without reading the thread? Joelist clearly said the line was upper tier and pointed to the fact the line was 8th in pressures and 12th in sacks then blamed Burrow for the line not having even better stats because he was a statue and is responsible for a lot of the pressures and sacks because of this. If you are even better than 8th in pressures and 12th in sacks, where does that leave this upper tier offensive line ranked? Top 5, certainly top 10. They arent

(10-30-2023, 04:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: ...We've even posted stats showing the pass blocking this season is upper tier. Not just in sacks (12th in league) but also in pressures (8th in league). And Burrow's play style where he tries to extend things leads him into some sacks, also the calf made him immobile for the first 5 games which made him harder to protect.
Reply/Quote