Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
IF We Get Burrow A Decent Line?
(11-01-2023, 01:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:

You better hide that before Frank Boothe comes in here and sees it.  You don't want the guy having a coronary, do you??  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 04:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You better hide that before Frank Boothe comes in here and sees it.  You don't want the guy having a coronary, do you??  Ninja

True Dat
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 04:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You better hide that before Frank Boothe comes in here and sees it.  You don't want the guy having a coronary, do you??  Ninja

He sure loves to hate on Cordell, but he has been right to this season before this game.

Love the play where he disengages and picks up the stunt. Volson is really athletic and it shows in these highlights.
Reply/Quote

That's the best that I've ever seen him play, if he keeps it up, he'll drop to second on my list of offensive needs in 2024
1 LG - Let's see more of the highlights. There are a couple of plays in the TJ O'Sullivan where he gets blown up. Still too many of those.
2 RT - Jonah is better at RT but still has his problems. I'm indifferent if he signs or doesn't
3 TE - Draft two and be done with it
4 QB - I'd use a 4th or a 5th on a solid backup
5 O-line depth

I honestly feel that Tee's replacement is already on the roster, and possibly Boyd's. Irwin, Iosivas and Jones all look legit enough to play in this league. Tee looked good in his rookie year, but didn't blow me away. He really came into his own in his second year and became dominant. I'm excited to see what the two rookies bring this year and how they expand on that next year.

RB is solid for now. The O-line is starting to get it together, no need to panic on the back end of the roster at this point. Yeah, I'd like a better pass blocking RB, but as far as carrying/receiving the ball, I think that they're fine. Just need a healthy O-line to continue to gel.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He sure loves to hate on Cordell, but he has been right to this season before this game.

Love the play where he disengages and picks up the stunt. Volson is really athletic and it shows in these highlights.

Yes, they also run this counter play where he pulls and takes out the backside end that it a thing of beauty to watch.  Now that they are back to a full play book, I think that we'll continue to see the OL become more dominate.

(11-01-2023, 05:59 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: That's the best that I've ever seen him play, if he keeps it up, he'll drop to second on my list of offensive needs in 2024
1 LG - Let's see more of the highlights. There are a couple of plays in the TJ O'Sullivan where he gets blown up. Still too many of those.
2 RT - Jonah is better at RT but still has his problems. I'm indifferent if he signs or doesn't
3 TE - Draft two and be done with it
4 QB - I'd use a 4th or a 5th on a solid backup
5 O-line depth

He played as good, or even better last week vs the Seahawks.  What is alarming to me is that all 5 of your highest needs are on offense.  Never mind the fact that DJ Reader is in the final year of his deal and the Bengals don't appear to have a suitable gamer lined up to take that role and snaps.  Another to consider on defense is CB, Awuzie is also in his final year of contract.  I can't really see the team paying him what he has been making to stick around, after missing so much time the past two years to injury.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 06:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He played as good, or even better last week vs the Seahawks.  What is alarming to me is that all 5 of your highest needs are on offense.  Never mind the fact that DJ Reader is in the final year of his deal and the Bengals don't appear to have a suitable gamer lined up to take that role and snaps.  Another to consider on defense is CB, Awuzie is also in his final year of contract.  I can't really see the team paying him what he has been making to stick around, after missing so much time the past two years to injury.
"That's the best that I've ever seen him play, if he keeps it up, he'll drop to second on my list of offensive needs in 2024"
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 06:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Another to consider on defense is CB, Awuzie is also in his final year of contract.  I can't really see the team paying him what he has been making to stick around, after missing so much time the past two years to injury.

They seem pretty set at CB with CTB, Turner, and Hilton.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 05:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They seem pretty set at CB with CTB, Turner, and Hilton.

That looks good on paper, but injuries happen.  A team that expects to be successful must have depth that can step in without much of a drop in talent/production at key positions.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 06:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Very true.

The line may be ranked middle of the road by PFF and other sites, but that's because, as I noted, Burrow has been getting the ball out fast.

Sports Illustrated points out how bad our line has been:

Our line has been awful.

Karras, along with the rest of the interior line, has been getting embarrassed.

Rich Gannon was talking about rankings and statistics yesterday on Moving the Chains. He said in the professional scouting world, if someone came into the room talking about rankings from the 1st game of the season through where they are now, after everyone got done laughing at that person, they would be fired. He said you look at the last 4 games. He even used the Bengal's offense and defense rankings to show how ridiculous looking at the entire season is. He said you'd be an idiot to believe the Bengals are the 29th and 28th ranked in the league playing like they are now. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 08:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Rich Gannon was talking about rankings and statistics yesterday on Moving the Chains. He said in the professional scouting world, if someone came into the room talking about rankings from the 1st game of the season through where they are now, after everyone got done laughing at that person, they would be fired. He said you look at the last 4 games. He even used the Bengal's offense and defense rankings to show how ridiculous looking at the entire season is. He said you'd be an idiot to believe the Bengals are the 29th and 28th ranked in the league playing like they are now. 

And the Bengals and their surges in ‘21 & ‘22 and starting one again are poster childs
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 07:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That looks good on paper, but injuries happen.  A team that expects to be successful must have depth that can step in without much of a drop in talent/production at key positions.

I’m not real big on Jalen Davis, but DJ Ivey could be something (as far as depth). But yeah, you can never have enough CB’s.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 11:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not real big on Jalen Davis, but DJ Ivey could be something (as far as depth). But yeah, you can never have enough CB’s.

They appear to be on a two year hot streak when it comes to drafting in the secondary, perhaps they will stick to what's been working and draft another CB this year? I mean Lou's background is as a DBs coach, so it only seems fitting that he would go after guys that fit the defense that he runs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 11:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not real big on Jalen Davis, but DJ Ivey could be something (as far as depth). But yeah, you can never have enough CB’s.

Now don't be hacking on Davis, he's not a starter but he is a quality backup and has given us some good snaps.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Now this is great to see. It’s been an issue for years. Not that most of the haters will give him credit.

That doesnt seem right to me.  The last couple of years it seemed like stunts are what gave this line big problems.  Even earlier this year we were talking about how teams were stunting on us, coming up the middle of the line and getting to Burrow.  Maybe they have improved and are better.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 02:19 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: That doesnt seem right to me.  The last couple of years it seemed like stunts are what gave this line big problems.  Even earlier this year we were talking about how teams were stunting on us, coming up the middle of the line and getting to Burrow.  Maybe they have improved and are better.
They did well with stunts against San Fran but it definitely was a major issue early in the season. Maybe it has always just been more glaring when it's the left side and the right side has been majorly propping the numbers up until this past game? 

I'm pretty skeptical about how they're measuring this and considering it a "masterclass" given the amount of talk from numerous outlets about it being a big issue. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 02:51 PM)TheFan Wrote: They did well with stunts against San Fran but it definitely was a major issue early in the season. Maybe it has always just been more glaring when it's the left side and the right side has been majorly propping the numbers up until this past game? 

I'm pretty skeptical about how they're measuring this and considering it a "masterclass" given the amount of talk from numerous outlets about it being a big issue. 

That was Der Panzer calling it a masterclass, not anyone from PFF.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I’m starting to like this OL.I think they’re coming together pretty well.I also believe they’ll just continue to get better.They’ve played pretty good lately,and have chemistry that they’ve been lacking.

Burrow is in killer mode right now.I’ve always said that,with an elite OL,nobody could beat the Bengals.Here’s to hoping that this OL continues to improve,and at a high level.Because if they do,we are SB bound.
Reply/Quote
I believe Buffalo was 3rd in the league in sacks coming into our matchup. They had a grand total of 1 in a game where Burrow threw it 44 times. It’s time for Brad to admit that Burrow does in fact “have a decent OL.”

Reply/Quote
OL balled out the last 2 weeks vs 2 really good DLs. Gonna need them to keep it rolling!

Cigar
Reply/Quote
During the game last night CC commented on how the Bills rush "found a hole" in our oline. I won't say where.

I thought Cappa (not the hole) had one of his poorest games.

I'm at the point now where I'd pay Jonah top RT $$

Zeus has been one of the better FA signings in team history
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote