Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
IF We Get Burrow A Decent Line?
I think yesterday was the first time i've seen the O line keep a top tier pass rusher in check and didn't allow him to ruin the game.

Now just do it to Myles Garrett.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 02:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Pressures and sacks shouldn't matter much when your QB is immediately throwing 5 yard passes.  Your QB shouldnt need to scramble to avoid a pass rush when they are throwing the ball before the play develops.  Burrow wasnt sitting back there reading the defense, waiting for the routes to develop and getting pressure.    He was taking the snap and quickly throwing the ball.   If you are getting sacks and pressure from a defensive line before your receivers can run 5 yards, that's on the O line.   Im sorry but this isnt an elite O-line no matter how much some of you guys want to portray them to be.  They are mediocre at this point in time.

I'm not saying they're elite but I think you're also acting like Burrow is the only QB to get the ball out quick and take sacks. It's also easier for a Dline to rush the passer when the know exactly where he's going to be every rush and don't have to worry about any contain. 

Burrows average time between snap and when he either throw/gets pressured is 2.1 seconds. Lawrence, Tua, Mac Jones, Tyrod Taylor, Dalton, Josh Allen, Jared Goff, Desmond Ridder, Derek Carr, Garner Minshew, and Daniel Jones are all between 2.0-2.3 seconds. 

This is without Burrow being able to move or create any extra time basically for the first 6 weeks. Burrow had 2.5 seconds to throw week 8. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 03:55 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not saying they're elite but I think you're also acting like Burrow is the only QB to get the ball out quick and take sacks. It's also easier for a Dline to rush the passer when the know exactly where he's going to be every rush and don't have to worry about any contain. 

Burrows average time between snap and when he either throw/gets pressured is 2.1 seconds. Lawrence, Tua, Mac Jones, Tyrod Taylor, Dalton, Josh Allen, Jared Goff, Desmond Ridder, Derek Carr, Garner Minshew, and Daniel Jones are all between 2.0-2.3 seconds. 

This is without Burrow being able to move or create any extra time basically for the first 6 weeks. Burrow had 2.5 seconds to throw week 8. 

Nice post. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 03:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Burrow is killing teams and winning games with no offensive line.

If we finally get him an offensive line that can protect him, what are the limits for Burrow?

I find myself just wondering how many Super Bowls he can win because I feel like he's the best quarterback in the league and having his friend (Chase) on the team can only make him unstoppable.

I think he'll be able to outscore any opponent if he has time in the pocket.

Will we sell-out this offseason to improve the line?

Am I wrong to be this excited?

Simply not true this year.  This line is average.  It would be nice if they would grab another interior guy to upgrade the team, but I don't think it's something they do.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:56 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Yes I did.  Did you not watch the first 5 games?  It was mostly dink & dunk short passes.   Claiming the O-line is upper tier because they are 12th in sacks and 8th in pressures is disingenuous.  They havent given up the sacks or pressures because Burrow has mostly thrown very short passes getting rid of the ball quick.  Yesterday Burrow was sacked 3 times and would have been sacked a few more if not for him being able to make some great scrambles.  The O-line is improved over last year but I would hardly consider them a top offensive line.

And why do you think that was?  The line? 

News flash - our QB wasn't healthy.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 05:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Simply not true this year.  This line is average.  It would be nice if they would grab another interior guy to upgrade the team, but I don't think it's something they do.

Very true.

The line may be ranked middle of the road by PFF and other sites, but that's because, as I noted, Burrow has been getting the ball out fast.

Sports Illustrated points out how bad our line has been:

Quote:Joe Burrow isn't getting pressured at a crazy rate (20.2%, 11th best in NFL), but that's just because Burrow's gotten the ball out faster than any QB in the league besides Tua Tagovailoa (2.44 seconds time to throw). Cincinnati's given up the second-most QB hits in the league (21) and has rarely hung tough for longer than 2.5 seconds.

Rushing-wise, the line has been just as terrible. They rank 28th in average rush yards before contact (1.9 yards per carry) and have produced just 16 rushing first downs, ranking 31st in the NFL.

Cincinnati has the 30th-ranked pass blocking group in the league, and there's a gap at the bottom.

Our line has been awful.

Karras, along with the rest of the interior line, has been getting embarrassed.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 06:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Very true.

The line may be ranked middle of the road by PFF and other sites, but that's because, as I noted, Burrow has been getting the ball out fast.

Sports Illustrated points out how bad our line has been:

Our line has been awful.

Karras, along with the rest of the interior line, has been getting embarrassed.

Come on, that article was from October 5th.  Look at how much has changed since then with Burrow's health.  It's obvious what the issue was.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 05:42 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: And why do you think that was?  The line? 

News flash - our QB wasn't healthy.

Yes I think some of the need to throw short was the O-line.  Burrow was injured but at the same time he couldnt hold on to the ball very long because the line is mediocre.  That is part of the reason he got rid of it quick.  He didnt have the time a top O-line would have allowed.  Mediocre offensive line + injured QB = get rid of the ball quick.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 07:21 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Yes I think some of the need to throw short was the O-line.  Burrow was injured but at the same time he couldnt hold on to the ball very long because the line is mediocre.  That is part of the reason he got rid of it quick.  He didnt have the time a top O-line would have allowed.  Mediocre offensive line + injured QB = get rid of the ball quick.

Nobody is gonna be able to protect someone practically standing still from modern defensive lineman. It's just not possible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow was throwing quick mostly because they designed a lot of short plays BECAUSE of the calf - he couldn't push off that leg and get the longer throws accurate. Notice that as the calf started to really heal the throws got longer and stopped being behind the receiver so much. Another effect of the calf was nearly zero ability to maneuver in the pocket - he was standing in shotgun, got the ball and threw from basically the same spot with no movement. And while we're at it the calf also took all the RPO concepts out of the playbook as well as removing any plays using a rolling pocket. When your QB is literally zero threat to run or even scramble it makes pass rushing a LOT easier.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 06:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Our line has been awful.

No, but your takes on them are.

Reply/Quote

Now this is great to see. It’s been an issue for years. Not that most of the haters will give him credit.

Reply/Quote
I had to double check the date on this post lol. I swore it was a post from 2021-2022. I think the line is finally pretty decent. I still think it could be better with a good ol coach and one more piece (LG) but overall this line is plenty good enough. This line wins us the Super Bowl two years ago sadly. Now we just have to pray for no injuries, that’s always my biggest concern. Our backups aren’t great and it’s frustrating Ezra Cleveland was had for a 6th round pick. That should have been a move we made 100 out of 100 times but again we just hope and pray we stay healthy.??????
Reply/Quote
Kyle Long with a couple of great points about Brown Jr., Mixon and the running game starting around 2:05.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Now this is great to see. It’s been an issue for years. Not that most of the haters will give him credit.

Maybe Pollack isn't the problem?

I have been hating on him this year, but maybe the OL still just needed more time to mesh along with Burrow getting healthy....

(11-01-2023, 01:20 AM)ClarkHarris4Prez Wrote: I had to double check the date on this post lol. I swore it was a post from 2021-2022. I think the line is finally pretty decent. I still think it could be better with a good ol coach and one more piece (LG) but overall this line is plenty good enough. This line wins us the Super Bowl two years ago sadly. Now we just have to pray for no injuries, that’s always my biggest concern. Our backups aren’t great and it’s frustrating Ezra Cleveland was had for a 6th round pick. That should have been a move we made 100 out of 100 times but again we just hope and pray we stay healthy.??????

Yes, have to hope the starters stay healthy. If I have a complaint about Pollack it is how he hasn't been able to coach up the depth
or Volson. For example I thought Carman should be much better than he has been, he has talent and Volson has been bad this year
besides the last game against the 49ers. The OL coach needs to be able to develop young talent.
Reply/Quote
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 02:53 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Kyle Long with a couple of great points about Brown Jr., Mixon and the running game starting around 2:05.

A nice watch, these guys know their stuff. More under Center definitely helped the Offense, we just couldn't do it as much as 
we wanted with the Burrow injury the first 6 games. Mixon looked really good in this game and I am a guy who has been very 
critical of his vision and balance and especially his pass protection. But I didn't see many bad plays from him in this one, just 
good plays.

Helps when like the dude said, you are running out of the Shotgun and have to side step to get the ball deep in the pocket.

The Pistol is the way to go much more as the season goes on and we will win a lot of games and maybe push for that 1 seed.

Expecting us to win the rest of the Division games and go 4-2 and win it at least. Last year we actually lost our first 3 games 
in the Division, we might be in a better place than last year because of this fact.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 01:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:

This was the play I was expecting from Volson this season, thanks Sooner. Cool
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote