Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ian Rapoport: Bengals reaching out to non-in-house candidates
Apparently not looking to hire from within.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
No to Hue, no to Gruden, YES to someone with no ties to the organization. This team needs a reboot!
Reply/Quote
Well that's good to hear
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:24 PM)Fullrock Wrote: No to Hue, no to Gruden, YES to someone with no ties to the organization. This team needs a reboot!

Sounds like they're staying put with their current HC gigs (hopefully) 
Reply/Quote
If it’s got to be a Gruden, make it Jon, not Jay.

If Hue Jackson comes back it better be as offensive coordinator, not as head coach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our new coach will be Josh Mcdaniels. You heard it here first. most of the present staff will gone as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:34 PM)Ben galfan4life27c Wrote: Our new coach will be Josh Mcdaniels. You heard it here first. most of the present staff will gone as well.

I would take this in a second! McDaniels wasn't ready the first time around. He is now, and I would love to see an aggressive offensive-minded coach take over this team after 15 years of conservative Marv.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:19 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Apparently not looking to hire from within.

A)  They would be stupid not to look at all options

B)  "Reaching Out" to candidates is not the same as determined to hire from outside of the organization.

Point B can be as simple as for satisfying the Rooney Rule (talking to Marvin may not count as he currently has the job), or for the sake of impacting the salary negotiations.  Or maybe to make the ultimate target feel the need to take the job quickly out of fear that someone else might take the job first.

Without knowing who they reached out to, it is too early to say what it means.
Reply/Quote
I know its an extremely long shot. but I would love to see the Cardinals Hire Marvin as head coach. Just to watch Carson retire and prove unequivocally Marvin was the reason he left here.
Reply/Quote
If they hire an outside guy - and I sure as hell hope they do - my prediction would be either Shurmur, one of the Philly guys...Reich / DeFilippo, or Matt LeFleur. 

But then again, I such at predictions. LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If they hire an outside guy - and I sure as hell hope they do - my prediction would be either Shurmur, one of the Philly guys...Reich / DeFilippo, or Matt LeFleur. 

But then again, I such at predictions. LOL

I would add Todd Haley to your list, a hire that would kill two birds with one stone.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:39 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: A)  They would be stupid not to look at all options

B)  "Reaching Out" to candidates is not the same as determined to hire from outside of the organization.

Point B can be as simple as for satisfying the Rooney Rule (talking to Marvin may not count as he currently has the job), or for the sake of impacting the salary negotiations.  Or maybe to make the ultimate target feel the need to take the job quickly out of fear that someone else might take the job first.

Without knowing who they reached out to, it is too early to say what it means.

We take baby steps here. They have looked at "all options" exactly once in 50 years. If the word is they are reaching out to non-in-house candidates, that is a big start given the history of how this organization has typically conducted hiring its head coach. I do think ownership is smart enough to realize they risk losing what fan base is left if they hire someone from within or who has ties to the organization.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:46 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I know its an extremely long shot. but I would love to see the Cardinals Hire Marvin as head coach. Just to watch Carson retire and prove unequivocally Marvin was the reason he left here.

Without Marvin going there, the odds are high he is retiring or being released.  Not sure that it would prove anything...
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: We take baby steps here. They have looked at "all options" exactly once in 50 years. If the word is they are reaching out to non-in-house candidates, that is a big start given the history of how this organization has typically conducted hiring its head coach. I do think ownership is smart enough to realize they risk losing what fan base is left if they hire someone from within or who has ties to the organization.

Another thing--if they are reaching out to candidates, that must mean Marvin is actually gone.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Question is when will the candidates be available and how much of the scouting process will Marvin be involved in? Will we see Lewis in Mobile?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Question is when will the candidates be available and how much of the scouting process will Marvin be involved in? Will we see  Lewis in Mobile?

Wouldn't that mean he'd be working for free?

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:53 PM)Fullrock Wrote: We take baby steps here. They have looked at "all options" exactly once in 50 years. If the word is they are reaching out to non-in-house candidates, that is a big start given the history of how this organization has typically conducted hiring its head coach. I do think ownership is smart enough to realize they risk losing what fan base is left if they hire someone from within or who has ties to the organization.

Marvin Lewis
Sam Wyche
Forrest Greg
Homer Rice

All outside hires.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:57 PM)McC Wrote: Wouldn't that mean he'd be working for free?

No idea would depend on his contract I'd think, but I doubt he would or any other coaches they believe the Bengals are moving on from will put in much effort.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 01:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Marvin Lewis
Sam Wyche
Forrest Greg
Homer Rice

All outside hires.

Wyche was a former player for the Bengals under Paul Brown.
You are correct about Forrest Gregg.
I forgot about Homer Rice (as we all should lol). I suppose he was technically an "outside hire" though the circumstances were rare after Tiger Johnson resigned after an 0-5 start in 1978, and they couldn't look at "all options" while the season was ongoing. That would have been one time it actually would have made sense to promote someone on the staff with a mid-season change.
Reply/Quote
Reports are the Broncos are going to fire Vance Joseph. Of all the past coaches that the Bengals might try and bring back, he would be tops on my list.
Reply/Quote