Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Fournette is there at #9, the Bengals Take Him
(03-03-2017, 10:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No way does Chris Perry ever knock Akili Smith off that throne. 46.6% completion, 4.8 YPA, 5 TD/13 INT, 52.8 QB Rating, 19 Fumbles/8 Lost.

Besides, beyond the stats, Akili Smith could have been the Saint's entire draft class, plus two more first round picks, plus one more second round pick. That makes it impossible to ever beat him as the biggest draft bust for the Bengals. Perhaps even the entire league.

Yeah, atleast Chris Perry had some good games and helped the team while he was here.

It is just that we could of had Steven Jackson that killz.
Reply/Quote
I thought Perry was a 2nd rounder guess not. But Chris Perry doesn't get the credit for being the receiving back he was in 05. He helped that year. If it wasn't for Carson's knee, we probably win the Superbowl, after that he was no number #1
Reply/Quote
This can't be serious can it?? We have a center that gets bull rushed backwards. A void at RT that is a giant unknown. The best guy on the line is the RG and we are letting him walk because... Mike Brown logic. Our LG is decent and an aging FA LT that might walk away for a playoff team.

They could draft the second coming of Walter Payton and he wouldn't gain a damn yard without a line.

If they make the dumbass move of letting Zeitler walk, you might as well load up on defense in the draft, since those guys are going to be on the field after every 3 and out from the offense.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 11:20 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I thought Perry was a 2nd rounder guess not. But Chris Perry doesn't get the credit for being the receiving back he was in 05. He helped that year. If it wasn't for Carson's knee, we probably win the Superbowl, after that he was no number #1

Yeah....but Steven Jackson man...... Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 11:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This can't be serious can it?? We have a center that gets bull rushed backwards. A void at RT that is a giant unknown. The best guy on the line is the RG and we are letting him walk because... Mike Brown logic. Our LG is decent and an aging FA LT that might walk away for a playoff team.

They could draft the second coming of Walter Payton and he wouldn't gain a damn yard without a line.

If they make the dumbass move of letting Zeitler walk, you might as well load up on defense in the draft, since those guys are going to be on the field after every 3 and out from the offense.

You spelled LT wrong.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bengals need to fix the Oline first. Look at Gurley behind the Rams line. IMHO Fournette would be a wasted pick at #9. I would like to see Jeremy Hill behind the Cowboys line to see if it is him or the line he runs behind.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 10:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No way does Chris Perry ever knock Akili Smith off that throne. 46.6% completion, 4.8 YPA, 5 TD/13 INT, 52.8 QB Rating, 19 Fumbles/8 Lost.

Besides, beyond the stats, Akili Smith could have been the Saint's entire draft class, plus two more first round picks, plus one more second round pick. That makes it impossible to ever beat him as the biggest draft bust for the Bengals. Perhaps even the entire league.

Yeah no one will ever "top" Akili. I think you can make a strong argument that he's the biggest bust for any team. His numbers are worse than Ryan Leaf's, and the Chargers didn't turn down an entire draft for him.

As for Perry, he looked promising at first. Just couldn't stay healthy. In 2005, he was basically a big Gio for us. 51 catches.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He reminds me a lot of Hill before Hill lost whatever he had. But yeah worthless pick with a shit line.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 12:50 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You spelled LT wrong.

In his prime, Whit beats him hands down. However, Zeitler has another 6 or 7 years of high level play and is rated as the top O-line FA pretty much everywhere you look. Whit has 2 more years at best because let's face it Father Time is undefeated. 

The money is there to sign both guys, but going forward Zeitler is going to be the better player, it's just about age. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 12:57 AM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Bengals need to fix the Oline first. Look at Gurley behind the Rams line. IMHO Fournette would be a wasted pick at #9. I would like to see Jeremy Hill behind the Cowboys line to see if it is him or the line he runs behind.

Gurley would have a better chance if his QB wasn't a total shitbag. 
Reply/Quote
Hobson directly contradicts that the Bengals want Fournette at 9

"We’ll see what the Bengals think is the smart move. History would say the back is coming after nine."
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Back-in-the-game/2c61f1ac-3ae9-444b-b3ff-b2a266a656ac
Reply/Quote
Fournette is a perfecr selection in that it would be ideal that the team added enough talent pre draft to warrant true BPA at 9.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 02:54 AM)Trademark Wrote: Yes please!!! Fournette will be the next AP!

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/2/14796008/bengals-want-leonard-fournette-nfl-network

They can't block for Hill, Bernard so why would we think they can block for this guy.  Dalton starting to get clobbered on ever play like Carson. ....There is the theory that if you draft a RB that he not only won't need blocking but he will be the quick fix.  We tried this before needing blocking but drafting Ki-Jana Carter.  With him, we weren't going to need blocking.  He didn't even make it past the second preseason game.  Against Detroit, only 2nd play of game, the ball snapped and the Lions came pouring in.  2 or 3 Lions actually hitting Ki-Jana as the QB turned to hand Carter the ball.  No blocking and Carter injured forever. Oh, they paid that money so they kept him around injured.  

I saw Ezekiel Elliott a lot in college and huge reason Ohio State beat Alabama, their hardest game in winning Championship. The best Ohio State RB since Eddie George.  Dallas does nothing without Elliott last season.  People saying Fournette is the next Elliott, I doubt that.  The good news is some team will draft him before Bengals pick and Bengals already said they will not trade to move up. This is good because Bengals Front Office doesn't seem to have clue lately as team seems willing to go many more years without a play-off win. 

With Hill who is one of better TD scoring RBs in NFL. With Gio  back and if they resign Burkhead who team was raving about saying he is ready to tear up the NFL, then I do not see RB as a needs list area. I see O Line a needs list. I see LB a needs list.  Looking at the mock drafts, I see those Alabama Linebackers who either one could come in here and start the next 10 years. In Round 2 there is 1st round talent at guard early in round 2.  Losing either Whitworth or Zeitler or both we will need a top guard early in 2.  IT looks like very soon we lose a lot of top players like last year, so a couple years ago Bengals being one of deepest teams in talent is about to change to one of weakest teams in talent.  Bengals do have Pacman.  He may be in jail or suspended by NFL all year, but they have their Pacman game.  

The team that takes him ahead of us will be doing our front office a favor and maybe then front office will address the loss of these players to free agency we are having.  There are going to be key areas to fill, with RB right now a strong area of team compared to glaring weak areas heading towards losing season if not addressed. We are close to losing a lot of depth in the D line also. We are close to forced to start 2 very unproven CBs in Dennard and Jackson which should be a day at the beach for opposing quarterbacks. We have been weak at LB for years because we haven't drafted LB in years. If we lose LaFell, again we weak at WR. The O line is a disaster area, our weakest area. Whoever drafts this RB ahead of us will be doing Bengals who don't know any better, a favor.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 06:04 AM)kevin Wrote: They can't block for Hill, Bernard so why would we think they can block for this guy.  Dalton starting to get clobbered on ever play like Carson. ....There is the theory that if you draft a RB that he not only won't need blocking but he will be the quick fix.  We tried this before needing blocking but drafting Ki-Jana Carter.  With him, we weren't going to need blocking.  He didn't even make it past the second preseason game.  Against Detroit, only 2nd play of game, the ball snapped and the Lions came pouring in.  2 or 3 Lions actually hitting Ki-Jana as the QB turned to hand Carter the ball.  No blocking and Carter injured forever. Oh, they paid that money so they kept him around injured.  

I saw Ezekiel Elliott a lot in college and huge reason Ohio State beat Alabama, their hardest game in winning Championship. The best Ohio State RB since Eddie George.  Dallas does nothing without Elliott last season.  People saying Fournette is the next Elliott, I doubt that.  The good news is some team will draft him before Bengals pick and Bengals already said they will not trade to move up. This is good because Bengals Front Office doesn't seem to have clue lately as team seems willing to go many more years without a play-off win. 

With Hill who is one of better TD scoring RBs in NFL. With Gio  back and if they resign Burkhead who team was raving about saying he is ready to tear up the NFL, then I do not see RB as a needs list area. I see O Line a needs list. I see LB a needs list.  Looking at the mock drafts, I see those Alabama Linebackers who either one could come in here and start the next 10 years. In Round 2 there is 1st round talent at guard early in round 2.  Losing either Whitworth or Zeitler or both we will need a top guard early in 2.  IT looks like very soon we lose a lot of top players like last year, so a couple years ago Bengals being one of deepest teams in talent is about to change to one of weakest teams in talent.  Bengals do have Pacman.  He may be in jail or suspended by NFL all year, but they have their Pacman game.  

The team that takes him ahead of us will be doing our front office a favor and maybe then front office will address the loss of these players to free agency we are having.  There are going to be key areas to fill, with RB right now a strong area of team compared to glaring weak areas heading towards losing season if not addressed. We are close to losing a lot of depth in the D line also. We are close to forced to start 2 very unproven CBs in Dennard and Jackson which should be a day at the beach for opposing quarterbacks. We have been weak at LB for years because we haven't drafted LB in years.  If we lose LaFell, again we weak at WR.  The O line is a disaster area, our weakest area.  Whoever drafts this RB ahead of us will be doing Bengals who don't know any better, a favor.

Elliot has played behind some pretty damn good lines.....just sayin.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 06:04 AM)kevin Wrote: They can't block for Hill, Bernard so why would we think they can block for this guy.  Dalton starting to get clobbered on ever play like Carson. ....There is the theory that if you draft a RB that he not only won't need blocking but he will be the quick fix.  We tried this before needing blocking but drafting Ki-Jana Carter.  With him, we weren't going to need blocking.  He didn't even make it past the second preseason game.  Against Detroit, only 2nd play of game, the ball snapped and the Lions came pouring in.  2 or 3 Lions actually hitting Ki-Jana as the QB turned to hand Carter the ball.  No blocking and Carter injured forever. Oh, they paid that money so they kept him around injured.  

The team that takes him ahead of us will be doing our front office a favor and maybe then front office will address the loss of these players to free agency we are having.  There are going to be key areas to fill, with RB right now a strong area of team compared to glaring weak areas heading towards losing season if not addressed. We are close to losing a lot of depth in the D line also. We are close to forced to start 2 very unproven CBs in Dennard and Jackson which should be a day at the beach for opposing quarterbacks. We have been weak at LB for years because we haven't drafted LB in years.  If we lose LaFell, again we weak at WR.  The O line is a disaster area, our weakest area.  Whoever drafts this RB ahead of us will be doing Bengals who don't know any better, a favor.

The year before the Cowboys managed to wrangle 1000+ out of Darren McFadden.  Yep, the washed up, broken down McFadden.  And McFadden didn't play the full 16.  Elliott is a good one, but he could easily be replaced with 10-12 other NFL backs and get the same / near the same yardage with that line.  Just off the top of my head:

McCoy
Bell 
David Johnson
AP (if healthy)
Jordan Howard
Frank Gore
DeMarco Murray (probably Derrick Henry too)
Jay Ajayi
Devonte Freeman
Spencer Ware
Fournette (whoever drafts)
Cook (whoever drafts)
Thomas Rawls
Latavious Murray

The point I'm making is that line is amazing.  Elliott is a major talent, but you're going to get a lot of production from most guys behind that line.  Emmitt Smith had a line like that.  Imagine Barry Sanders behind Emmitt's line.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Well, you're not taking OLine in the first. If you take Fournette at 9, you still have ten more picks to find linemen to improve the line. No matter what, you want a top ten talent in the first. The draft is deep in edge rushers. You don't have to take one in the first, especially if it means reaching. If Fournette or Cook is there, they might very well be BPA. If that's the case, how can you pass?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:57 AM)McC Wrote: Well, you're not taking OLine in the first.  If you take Fournette at 9, you still have ten more picks to find linemen to improve the line.  No matter what, you want a top ten talent in the first.  The draft is deep in edge rushers.  You don't have to take one in the first, especially if it means reaching.  If Fournette or Cook is there, they might very well be BPA.  If that's the case, how can you pass?

Agreed. IMO, We have to get rid of Hill. I believe some have it in their heads if we sign a RB with the first pick we blew the draft already and vise versa if we go OL pick first. There are several picks available and in most cases must go BPA that fits our needs. We must have a great draft and utilize the picks accordingly. We cannot afford to draft some positions with the thought of not utilizing them much in the first year. Marvin will have to revisit his coaching style and either get aggressive with these picks or keep status quo and die again next year. My guess is he doesn't like change even though what he is and has been doing hasn't worked.

Reply/Quote
Jeremy Hill behind a good line.

Reply/Quote
Horrendous idea!

The Bengals seem to be reverting to the 1990s where Mike Brown drafted zillions of skill players while ignoring the trenches. On successful teams the lines are always addressed first.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 09:57 AM)McC Wrote: Well, you're not taking OLine in the first.  If you take Fournette at 9, you still have ten more picks to find linemen to improve the line.  No matter what, you want a top ten talent in the first.  The draft is deep in edge rushers.  You don't have to take one in the first, especially if it means reaching.  If Fournette or Cook is there, they might very well be BPA.  If that's the case, how can you pass?

Exactly, we aren't looking for an OT, C or OG at 9. Fournette and especially Dalvin Cook would help the running game.

We can start building the O-line in the 2nd round...

(03-04-2017, 10:16 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agreed. IMO, We have to get rid of Hill. I believe some have it in their heads if we sign a RB with the first pick we blew the draft already and vise versa if we go OL pick first. There are several picks available and in most cases must go BPA that fits our needs. We must have a great draft and utilize the picks accordingly. We cannot afford to draft some positions with the thought of not utilizing them much in the first year. Marvin will have to revisit his coaching style and either get aggressive with these picks or keep status quo and die again next year. My guess is he doesn't like change even though what he is and has been doing hasn't worked.

Last year i wanted Billings in the first. We ended getting him in the 4th and WJ3 in the first.

The draft is a crapshoot and you never know how it is going to end up.

Even if you get the studs you wanted they can get hurt too as we saw.

(03-04-2017, 01:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Horrendous idea!

The Bengals seem to be reverting to the 1990s where Mike Brown drafted zillions of skill players while ignoring the trenches.  On successful teams the lines are always addressed first.

It is not a bad idea as there are no O-lineman worthy of the pick at 9. If we traded back and got Cam Robinson maybe.

BPA in the first round, especially in the top 10. Then build the O-line afterward. We could still grab the top Center in the
2nd round, add a talented Tackle in the mid rounds and another Guard to compete.

It would be reverting back to the 90's if we let Whit, Zeit and Dre go and didn't atleast try and fill those holes.
Reply/Quote